I will remove it before the deadline (from a shop) 73 8.99%
I will ground my car and wait & watch for the order to change 375 46.18%
Mine are factory fitted and I can't remove them 39 4.80%
Voters: 812. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2012, 09:47   #46
BANNED

re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgement

I agree with sachinayak; If you want peace of mind then just remove them (I do not have any film so no issues). Otherwise, every time you go out you will get tense. Keep your cool.
Old 16th May 2012, 09:55   #47
BHPian

re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgement

I'm gonna wait and watch till the sun-film industry form a union and make a compelling offer to the Supreme Court judges; an offer they cannot refuse. Then everything will be alright and you can go back to getting as dark tints as you can.

On a more jovial note (the serious one is above) I negotiated for the films from my dealer while buying the Punto and he stated that they are within the prescribed RTO limits. He even told me that if I ever get penalized for using these tints, he will refund the fine. So I shall follow. Will wait for a few months and then go ahead with an appropriate step.
Old 16th May 2012, 09:58   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Film is placed from inside and I don't think the cops are as stupid as that to try and slash with blades etc. I am waiting till the last possible moment before pulling off the film.
Check this out

Rajan
Old 16th May 2012, 10:08   #49
Senior - BHPian

I don't have sunfilm on my car, so no issues. I do have manufacturer-provided tinted glass with VLT% within the legal limits - so no issues there either.

I was planning to have sunfilms on my car, but now that plan has been shelved. Also, from the discussion on the other thread on the SC verdict, it appears that even 70% VLT sunfilm on the glass areas of my car will anyway be illegal since the glass is already tinted (so combined VLT% of glass+sunfilm will be outside legal limits). So I guess I'll probably not opt for sunfilms even if the SC reconsiders its decision.
Old 16th May 2012, 10:11   #50
Senior - BHPian

Last Sunday, I removed it myself in my car. Also, I motivated 4-5 other car owners to do it yourself.

I am daily user of car and I cannot take risk debating with cops en-route. They gave us sufficient notice to us to act so I did. We have to follow rules, If we have to live in the land. Yes, there are ways to legally protest against it.
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 10:12   #51
BHPian

Just got off the phone with a dealer friend of mine. He said, just hold on to your tints for some time. They are expecting a rollback in July. Apparently the film companies like Vkool, Llumar and Garware are in the process of filing some cases. These companies almost entirely depend upon the Sunfilm industry (garware being the possible exception).

He also said that the other option was to put VLT70/80 of the clear variety on all glasses. It will help in reducing the heat and will not 'look' like tinted.
Old 16th May 2012, 11:00   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Apparently the film companies like Vkool, Llumar and Garware are in the process of filing some cases.
Factory fitted glass already has slight tint (though varying VLT for different manufacturers). If a 70% VLT sun film is applied over that glass, VLT is going to cross 70%.

These companies must certify that VLT of combo (glass + sun film) doesn't cross the limit (70% front/rear & 50% for sides) and give it in writing (like emission certificate). Else I am not sure how these companies are going to fight this case.

If they have the resources, they can go for bigger task of getting the VLT restrictions removed in CMV. This is will require Parliament to pass an amendment.
Old 16th May 2012, 11:36   #53
BHPian

Will be taking the decision next weekend till then its wait and watch for me. As truly pointed out by someone its not possible for Bangalore traffic police to check cars in peak office hours as it would lead to huge traffic jams in IRR and ORR. But again its raining heavily in the city and its not possible to travel to office on bike these days, still decided to take the pain for 1 week and see how the things turn out.

Observation: Still I see more than 90% of cars in Bangalore are having the tints.
Old 16th May 2012, 11:45   #54

Re: My action on the Sun Film Verdit

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I am waiting for the rule to change and i am pretty sure it will change.

The multi 100 crore Auto Sunfilm industry will not allow the downfall of sunfilm. With new entrants entering the industry(inluding foreign companies) something will change for sure.

There are two options here

1) Invent a 100% VLT transparent Sun Film that blocks UV/IR rays and Heat to some%. This would be lapped up by

2) Grease hands at appropriate levels and roll-back the rule to 70/50.

Committing a crime inside a car with 50/70 visibility is as good as a car with no glass at all or heck even an auto.

Greasing some hands to get the rule rolled-back would certainly happen, but only after majority of the people have removed their sun films.
I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out later the camps to remove sun films free of cost are actually sponsored by them.

I am going to wait and watch till the last possible moment.
Old 16th May 2012, 11:58   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just got off the phone with a dealer friend of mine. He said, just hold on to your tints for some time. They are expecting a rollback in July. Apparently the film companies like Vkool, Llumar and Garware are in the process of filing some cases. These companies almost entirely depend upon the Sunfilm industry (garware being the possible exception).

He also said that the other option was to put VLT70/80 of the clear variety on all glasses. It will help in reducing the heat and will not 'look' like tinted.
Your statement certainly puts a different perspective to this new rule which does not pertain to catching criminal or unsocial elements. It brings forth the fact that this is essentially a ploy to generate more business for the sunfilm companies as now the cars will remove all the tints by July and then the rule gets rolled back so that these car walas will approach them to get the windows re-sunfilmed again.

Wow, this one comes right out of a Robert Ludlum Espionage book

By the way I am waiting till Friday to get the film removed from 3M as I dont want to risk a DIY on the rear glass.
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 12:15   #56
BHPian

The issue in our country is law enforcement! If there is a law that needs to be enforced it has to get support from all quarters and then finally it has to be passed to the masses. Once passed the masses must accept it without any furthur questions. Well by then enough debate would have been done on the pro's and con's.

Now coming to the point, if BTP is serious on the sunfilm removal then it is better just to comply without any questions. We have almost 80% to 90% two wheelers with helmets and there was a time when it was debated if the helmet rule will ever fly!

can use a steamer this to remove it easly (link below)

Last edited by sumathindra : 16th May 2012 at 12:31. Reason: edits
Old 16th May 2012, 12:58   #57
BHPian

I removed the sun films myself, have put it up on the thread below:

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2776235
Old 16th May 2012, 14:24   #58
BHPian

Well here in Hyderabad, noone seems to be bothered till now. So it's wait and watch for me.

Almost all the cars in my office or building parking have a Dark Black film, whereas mine is a 50% on all sides.
Old 16th May 2012, 14:53   #59
BHPian

No intensive activity by Pune cops. Only a few cases where cops checked using Lux - Hinjewadi, University Circle and then Marketyard road is what I heard. But to avoid being one of those few, I'm staying put, and using the Bike instead. My tints are good to see through(but not legal, which I came to know only after this ruling - Net 49% on front windscreen and 42% everywhere else), so no issues driving during the night. Also the fine is Rs 100 for the first instance, and they don't remove on the spot. So taking my chances so far. And of course waiting for a stay on the order. Also planning a few week long vacations to avoid the urge and need to drive

Quote:
The ruling clearly says no kind of film is allowed, so VLT 70/80 films would still be on the wrong side of law now.

Last edited by CareFreeKid : 16th May 2012 at 15:13.
Old 16th May 2012, 16:34   #60
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mumbai Police seem to be on the side of the car owners . The Civic & the C220 haven't been stopped even once yet, despite them having relatively darker sun film. The Nissan Sunny doesn't have tints yet, and the Jeep doesn't have doors so I'm okay there!

The industry folk insist that this order will be rolled back. I'm going to wait & watch.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks