Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2014, 12:24   #226
BHPian

Re: Petrol versus Diesel Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
I suppose the attached excel sheet can give you a more realistic scenario of expenses.

PS: Pls highlight if any mistakes are identified
Very impressive compro. The insurance component is a good feature mostly overlooked.

What is not clear is if the car is paid for by cash or loan. If it is by loan there would be some tipping of the scales in favor of the petrol car as the loan amount would be lower.
Old 10th December 2014, 16:53   #227
BHPian

Hello Bhpians,

Is there a website or a analysis to find out the % of Diesel engined vs Petrol engined cars in India.
Old 29th December 2014, 08:46   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Who would have thought petrol cars will be back in demand? Well as the year 2014 ends, it shows 51% buyers of used cars go for petrol models.

Petrol versus Diesel Cars-29_12_2014_010_018_004.jpg

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/45672320.cms
Old 29th December 2014, 09:29   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

I think there are certain flaws in the above study. It is very tough to gauge the real market preferences since most of the entry level hatches which sell in huge numbers are available only in petrol models specially from the stables of Maruti and Hyundai. Also quite a few buyers in the used car market are first time buyers with less running or someone looking for a second car for family etc. In both cases due to expected low running they might favor petrol cars more. Lastly there is a tendency for higher Odo readings on diesel cars w.r.t. petrol cars and hence they appear less lucrative in the used car market. The asking price is also less for a petrol model compared to a diesel car. Bottom line being there are so many factors at play that it would appear extremely difficult to me to be able to trust a survey on its merit.
Old 29th December 2014, 09:51   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
I suppose the attached excel sheet can give you a more realistic scenario of expenses.

PS: Pls highlight if any mistakes are identified
Hey, I think the diesel resale value after 6 years and 86400 kilometers will be way more than what you have mentioned in the excel sheet.

I think a diesel car say for example Verna Diesel after 6 years purchased at 8.70 lakhs (an assumption to the example) will sell at atleast 4 to 4.5 lakhs after 6 years. Diesel's hold their value a lot compared to petrols.

This will bring down the chart highly in favor of the diesel.
Old 29th December 2014, 10:06   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post
Very impressive compro. The insurance component is a good feature mostly overlooked.

What is not clear is if the car is paid for by cash or loan. If it is by loan there would be some tipping of the scales in favor of the petrol car as the loan amount would be lower.
Hmm, if I am not mistaken, there are two sheets in the excel file. One is buying car with loan and the other sheet is without loan. Although I have not made the one with the loan, had taken the concept from another file on the net.
Old 3rd January 2015, 21:33   #232
BHPian

Not exactly matching our market but worth a read on this subject:
http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20130...ot-buy-diesels

Do we follow any emission standards like those?
Old 12th January 2015, 17:11   #233
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have a query regarding CNG+petrol vs Diesel in current scenario. I am looking for a preowned hatchback in NCR region. My annual commute will be 11000 kms. Cars under consideration are Swift/i10/Ritz(all petrol, will be converting to CNG) and Ritz/Figo Diesel. I am looking for 2-3.5 yrs old cars. I am targeting a price band of 3.25 to 3.60 lacs (includes cng kit as well). Figo and Ritz diesel are the only diesels in this segment that will fall into this price band so they seem to be very lucrative options. But i am still faced with the same dilemma of Petrol(+CNG) vs Diesel here.

Which will be the best option for me looking at current fuel prices and maintenance. I intend to keep the car for atleast 5 years.
Old 13th January 2015, 02:39   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
Hi Guys,

I have a query regarding CNG+petrol vs Diesel in current scenario..Cars under consideration are Swift/i10/Ritz(all petrol, will be converting to CNG) and Ritz/Figo Diesel. I am looking for 2-3.5 yrs old cars..
Which will be the best option for me looking at current fuel prices and maintenance. I intend to keep the car for atleast 5 years.
Given the above, I would suggest you go pick the Ritz diesel. Converting to CNG always comes with asterisk (read maintenance issues) and manufacture fitted cars may not be that easy to come by. Hence i suggested diesel. Between Ritz and Figo, while Figo is also a very competent car, you would like to keep maintenance issues to minimum, given minimum 5 year ownership. And Ritz is quite a fun car to drive. Feels and drives very sturdy and solid.
Old 13th January 2015, 02:49   #235
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
Figo and Ritz diesel are the only diesels in this segment that will fall into this price band so they seem to be very lucrative options. But i am still faced with the same dilemma of Petrol(+CNG) vs Diesel here.

1000 kms a month is what you would be doing on an average even then looking at your options of CNG versus Diesel, I'll select Diesel powered over a CNG converted.

Me having driven the Ritz D for over 3 years and 1 lakh kms, I'll suggest you look at Ritz D in the used market. A very reliable, understated, cheap on pocket car from Maruti Suzuki.

Last edited by a4anurag : 13th January 2015 at 02:54.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 11:30   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistiks View Post
Given the above, I would suggest you go pick the Ritz diesel. Converting to CNG always comes with asterisk (read maintenance issues) and manufacture fitted cars may not be that easy to come by. Hence i suggested diesel. Between Ritz and Figo, while Figo is also a very competent car, you would like to keep maintenance issues to minimum, given minimum 5 year ownership. And Ritz is quite a fun car to drive. Feels and drives very sturdy and solid.
Thanks Vitalstatistiks. Even i find Ritz to be a very practical car, but somehow as far as daily traffic commute is concerned i found Figo to be little better in lower rpms. How is the longterm reliability of both these cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
1000 kms a month is what you would be doing on an average even then looking at your options of CNG versus Diesel, I'll select Diesel powered over a CNG converted.

Me having driven the Ritz D for over 3 years and 1 lakh kms, I'll suggest you look at Ritz D in the used market. A very reliable, understated, cheap on pocket car from Maruti Suzuki.
Thanks a4anurag. Thats quite a lot of running. How is Ritz(D) on maintenance front. Just in case if you have any account of maintenance costs it incurred in those 1 lakh kms.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th January 2015 at 12:57.
Old 28th January 2015, 17:21   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

Petrol cars are in demand now, touches 62% highest in five years , higher discounts now available on diesel vehicles.

Quote:
With the narrower gap in fuel prices, the time to recover the premium paid to buy diesel vehicles has increased — to more than three and half years from a little over two years in 2012 for the average buyer
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/46036238.cms
Old 28th January 2015, 23:50   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Hey, I think the diesel resale value after 6 years and 86400 kilometers will be way more than what you have mentioned in the excel sheet.

I think a diesel car say for example Verna Diesel after 6 years purchased at 8.70 lakhs (an assumption to the example) will sell at atleast 4 to 4.5 lakhs after 6 years. Diesel's hold their value a lot compared to petrols.

This will bring down the chart highly in favor of the diesel.
If I have to buy a used car tooday, I will close my eyes and buy a petrol car. Generally, they log lesser miles, they seldom break down and when they do, parts do not cost earth and now the price of petrol is at rock bottom and is likely to stay that way for long years. I wouldn't touch a used diesel car with a barge pole. It must have run space-ship miles, and must be at the falling apart stage ( you buy one now and every month some part or the other keeps failing and the part price will be way higher than equivalent petrol car part price). And then diesel price isn't less than half of petrol price like it used to be once. And I'm sure there are many out there who would agree with me. It is very hard to find a non-abused diesel car in used car market.
Old 29th January 2015, 00:02   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
If I have to buy a used car tooday, I will close my eyes and buy a petrol car. Generally, they log lesser miles, they seldom break down and when they do, parts do not cost earth and now the price of petrol is at rock bottom and is likely to stay that way for long years. I wouldn't touch a used diesel car with a barge pole. It must have run space-ship miles, and must be at the falling apart stage ( you buy one now and every month some part or the other keeps failing and the part price will be way higher than equivalent petrol car part price). And then diesel price isn't less than half of petrol price like it used to be once. And I'm sure there are many out there who would agree with me. It is very hard to find a non-abused diesel car in used car market.

Completely agree with you Sagar. At this date, I dont think it makes sense to buy an used diesel car. Resale value of diesel cars must be falling too these days, as the difference between petrol and diesel price is not much as before now.
Old 13th April 2015, 20:38   #240
BHPian

Modern day diesels not as clean as manufacturers claim

"A study published by the International Council of Clean Transportation finds that modern oil burners might not be anywhere near as clean in the real world as manufacturers claim, at least when it comes to emissions of nitrogen oxides (NOx).

To find this intriguing result, this study eschewed traditional lab testing and instead analyzed several previous vehicle evaluations using portable emissions measurement systems (PEMS). In total, the researchers scrutinized 15 modern diesel vehicles with 12 from Europe and 3 from the US and a cumulative 3,977 miles of driving. While NOx was far above mandated levels, carbon monoxide and total hydrocarbons were below the Euro 6 limit."

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/11/c...sel-not-clean/

Last edited by trinity0114 : 13th April 2015 at 20:41. Reason: To add more detail to the post
trinity0114 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks