Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2007, 17:24   #61
BHPian

I guess they should restrict the jump seats to troop carriers alone and not mandate them for personal buyers.

My colleague bought a Scorpio SLX recently, since personal users can register only a 7 seater via lease, he has to suffer the jump seats.
Old 14th November 2007, 17:59   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
last few images clear show its Kia's Mesa test mule.
Old 17th November 2007, 20:12   #63
BHPian

I'd look for a great look-and-feel like the Honda CR-V. If one of those was blown up to seat 7 people, and came with an oil burner, it's a great MPV for India. I'd hate to see an M&M vehicle look wimpy though. I hope they retain some of their butch heritage in the style. I think M&M's designers suck big time, the Scorp's interiors being proof of that - they might not know heritage if it jumped up and bit them.

MPV's dont need to look boring or 'executive' - they can have soul too.
Old 19th November 2007, 11:28   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
since personal users can register only a 7 seater via lease, he has to suffer the jump seats.
Strange, is this different across states? AFAIK, in Pune, M&M sell the 8-seater version for personal users also and they offer finance.
Old 19th November 2007, 14:23   #65
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suniljathar View Post
Hello Guys...
As of now...the only SUV type van on indian roads is INNOVA...
"SUV type" van indeed!
When one deletes the transfer case, front propshaft and front differential from a true SUV,
what one's left with is a cripple -- a defanged snake, a rear-wheel-drive van with windows. Just an oversize Maruti van, no more.

One can call it Scorpio, Safari, Qualis, Rhino, Tavera, Matador, or whatever.
It will still be clumsy to steer and brake.
If the suspension is stiff, it will pitch and dive like a JCB wheel loader.
If the suspension is soft it will lean, roll and wallow like a double-decker BEST bus.

SUVs weren't made for competing with executive sedans and GT coupes, whilst hurtling down the highway, nearly out-of-control.
Rather, they were purpose designed to crawl over rocks, or ford a river, in first gear, low-ratio, front-axle-engaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suniljathar View Post
Trends in the Indian Car Market keep changin from time to time...
It started with small cars(Alto & 800)...
then shifted to power small cars(Swift and Palio)...
...then came the SUv trend(Scorpio,Safari,Rhino,CRV)...
and now the Suv type van (Innova)...
The lastest to join the SUV type van list is Ingenio from the Mahindra Stable...
Trends in the Indian car market started sixty years ago, with huge land yachts like the Buick Eight Super, Chevrolet Fleetmaster, Dodge Kingsway and Plymouth Belvedere. Then we moved to the smaller Ambassadors, even smaller Fiats and the agile two-door Herald, before endeavouring to address the unmotorized have-not India with the Maruti 800.

India's first SUV was the Willys 4x4-63 -- a very rugged, very capable boulder basher, river crosser with the 63 bhp Go-Devil "L"-head engine. It was followed by the 1952 Willys 4x4-75, with the 75 bhp Hurricane "F"-head engine and the V-shaped grille with eight vertical and three horizontal bars and flush mounted vertical taillamps.

Ram
Old 19th November 2007, 14:55   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
Strange, is this different across states? AFAIK, in Pune, M&M sell the 8-seater version for personal users also and they offer finance.
Yes, I just checked up, the laws are different across the various states so in TN, personal users can opt upto 7 seats only.

That's why I opted out of an Innova as well.
Old 19th November 2007, 15:44   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV View Post
Thats great. Do you know whether they'll offer the A/T at the time of launch too? Or am I being unreasonably a little too expectant now!?
Yes as mentioned in another thread by me they will offer both the Auto & cruise control on the 2.2, lots of other good features like volume control on steerig, automatic wipers, tyre pressure gauges etc etc
Old 19th November 2007, 16:12   #68
Senior - BHPian

I thought that Manihdra was going to launch Eagle 2.2 on 2008 Jan
Old 19th November 2007, 16:28   #69
HSV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
I thought that Manihdra was going to launch Eagle 2.2 on 2008 Jan
Oh no!! I thought it was end-Nov '07 or beginning-Dec'07.
Old 19th November 2007, 16:32   #70
HSV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
Yes as mentioned in another thread by me they will offer both the Auto & cruise control on the 2.2, lots of other good features like volume control on steerig, automatic wipers, tyre pressure gauges etc etc
Cool! that'd be great since we'll not have to wait. Normally manufacturers have this tendency of launching the M/T first then couple of months down the line the A/T comes up. Now it only remains to be seen when the 2.2 gets launched.
Old 19th November 2007, 16:48   #71
BHPian

Way back in July/August 07 , they had released a press note mentioning launch of new model and till date there is no official confirmation of them launching it. We are all waiting for details on the features on specifications on new Eagle or Hawk no matter what they call as long as it has powerful and torquey engine with bean bags full of features and plenty of performance on and off road - that is to say a complete vehicle for Indian Terrain so that I dont again get into avoid - avoid conflict.

Hope they make a vehicle full of features and numero uno in terms power, comfort, safety and performance and nothing like it if its VFM too.

M&M - please, start teaser campaigns at least!
Old 19th November 2007, 17:20   #72
Senior - BHPian

The picture link is not working. Can somebody copy paste from there and post them here on the forum itself?
Old 27th November 2007, 11:32   #73
BHPian

Could the Ingenio be inspired by the Kangoo ?

motoring.co.za - New Kangoo has more space, more versatility

I think ACI/OD had pics of current gen Kangoo under test somewhere in India and Pawan Goenka had indicated that the Ingenio could be a monocoque rather than the body on chassis like Scorpio

Before I get creamed for saying that , it is just a thought that came to my mind.
Old 27th November 2007, 20:02   #74
Senior - BHPian

Last edited by tushky : 27th November 2007 at 20:03.
Old 27th November 2007, 21:10   #75
BHPian

Thanks for the pictures tusky. This is looking like a bigger vehicle than scorpio. Seems to be longer also. Do you have any side view pictures. Can you please describle little bit about the vehicle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks