Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2012, 16:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda may postpone launch of new Civic, discontinue Accord in India

I think Honda must be having under some major technical constraints. They are overpricing their cars, giving less equipment and lesser choices, their designs have gone haywire - which says they must have had a major overhaul in their design team - good designers (being paid the good dough for bringing innovative designs) being sacked and freshers being employed. The Civic had a good run and it is a good car, no doubt about it. But the next gen Civic and the upcoming Accord lacks design, aesthetic value and has some major competition.

It kind of makes sense to let go of these two from their lineup and concentrate only on what sells!
Old 4th September 2012, 22:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

Very disheartening news indeed. First Civic and now Accord. What's with Honda? Do they want to go Mitsubishi way? Solid engineering but no marketing finesse.
Old 5th September 2012, 01:19   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post

I had bought the accord 2 years back and am worried if Honda will be able to give me the same service ever. It has already deteriorated after launch of brio and reduction in price of Jazz.
alert!

I am going to take a wild guess here and assume that you are talking about AutoHangar's Linkway Honda. Or maybe Apex.

I bought my city from Linkway. 4 services down, I was so fed up with their careless attitude towards my car's service, their habit of hiding information and my requests regarding a couple of niggles, I decided to give Solitare a try (after GTO's stellar recommendation).

They are the best. Period.

I mean which other service center would let you in the service area and personally monitor the proceedings? Top notch service.

Navnit Motors fo life
Old 5th September 2012, 10:20   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurangsaini View Post
alert!

I am going to take a wild guess here and assume that you are talking about AutoHangar's Linkway Honda. Or maybe Apex.

I bought my city from Linkway. 4 services down, I was so fed up with their careless attitude towards my car's service, their habit of hiding information and my requests regarding a couple of niggles, I decided to give Solitare a try (after GTO's stellar recommendation).

I mean which other service center would let you in the service area and personally monitor the proceedings? Top notch service.

Navnit Motors fo life

Well its Solitare Honda! Don't k know what more to say.
tazmaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 11:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

Makes sense, with the recently proposed tax breaks the Europeans are probably going to enjoy, would bring the prices of European (German-trio) cars to be into the Accord territory (or even lower). Not sure if Accord can survive that.
Old 5th September 2012, 15:48   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
Well its Solitare Honda! Don't k know what more to say.
Maybe I've been lucky. Personally I feel the service department of Solitaire honda in andheri handles its ANHC customers with far more respect than what the Autobahn guys mete out to a Superb owner.

In any case, they are a refreshing change from other Honda dealers. I'm happy!
Old 5th September 2012, 19:46   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurangsaini View Post
alert!

Navnit Motors fo life
My experience with Solitaire and Linkway is exactly opposite. I bought my City V MT from Solitaire in 2009 and got the first service and a accident repair job done from Solitaire. The experience was so pathetic right from booking, taking delivery to A.S.S that I have vowed never to set foot there.

On the other hand Linkway has been absolutely professional. I get regular updates from the SA during service and if I request to be on the shop floor during service they are more than happy to let me in. In fact during the recent recall they allowed me to take a look at the entire process to ensure that everything was to my satisfaction.
HKap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 20:01   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

They have no other choice. The 2.2L Euro Honda Diesel engine is still not suitable (or should I say "bad" enough) to accept Indian diesel, so they have to go the indigenous i-DTEC route, currently being developed to power the Brio and the City. So, out go the Accord and the Civic from the equation, because both of them will be seriously under-powered with this indigenous engine inside them.

The CR-V is still being debated about.

As regards the Civic, the current-gen Civic is definitely not coming to India. The next-gen Civic (in development phase right now) will be a deviant of the older-gen Indian Civic and will share looks (interior and exterior) and features of the Indian Civic. That Civic will be brought to India, possibly sometime by end-2014/early 2015.

I can tell you this for now - they have advanced the developments of two other projects, the Brio sedan and the Jazz-based MPV. Both are expected to reach testing phase by mid-2013. The diesel mill which will power the Brio will also be used to power the Brio sedan, and they will co-exist just like the Swift/DZire & the Etios/Liva. Not much to report on the Jazz-based MPV except that it might be brought into the Ertiga/Duster territory. It's still some way away, though. Expect more developments on this front from early next year onwards. 2013 will be a busy year for Honda India.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 5th September 2012 at 20:02.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 19:40   #24
BHPian

Hormazd Sorabjee reports that 2013 Accord will make to India by end of 2013.

Quote:
Contrary to reports, Honda will not discontinue Accord. Next-gen model may be delayed possibly due to pile up of CKD kits of current model
Link:https://twitter.com/hormazdsorabjee/...73383126614016
Old 13th September 2012, 12:33   #25
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't see Honda discontinuing the Accord. Rather they need to get the latest one in at a nice price with a diesel engine.

For Honda the Brand is built on the City, Civic and Accord. Without the Accord being available in India they would stand to loose some of the above average premium appeal of the brand. Hyundai has not been able to sell the Sonata in recent times and infact has difficulty moving stuff beyound 10L itself. Honda would then come on terms with Hyundai with Brio being their staple diet.

Yes numbers count but get profitability one needs to also command a brand premium.
Old 13th September 2012, 13:58   #26
BHPian

Honda to continue Civic, Accord in India, refutes news reports
Old 13th September 2012, 15:06   #27
BANNED

So was it all a rumour, I doubt it. There may have been a rethink after SIEL dropped out.
Old 13th September 2012, 16:24   #28
BHPian

Even though Honda has refuted the "rumours", can't see where they are going with the current lineup (even with Accord and Civic intact). Is it so difficult to source a diesel engine in today's world? When even a company like Premier can source diesel engines (for a vehicle that barely sells) Honda clearly could have done better.

I somehow think that they have been (till now) living in self denial on the popularity of diesels in the Indian market. Time and again, dealers (as per my discussions with dealers in Mysore and Bangalore) used to take a kind of an elitist stance saying " sorry we don't make diesels, we make cars only for the discerning". Clearly this attitude has brought a downfall, albeit a temporary one ( I hope)
Old 13th September 2012, 21:41   #29
BHPian

The other japs, nissan, toyota & I think Mitsubishi definitely in the coming years are all going to focus on small kei cars (albeit bigger kei cars unlike their home market), where the biggest segment lies. Toyota already sells a joke in the name of "Q class", and Nissan has brought in something with a leaf spring suspension in an MUV, I'm sure Honda too will toe a similar line but with better quality. Suzuki will continue their old game plan of whipping up dead generations of the Alto / 800.

Baakhi bacha kya? Renault releasing dacia vehicles to offer an alternative to upcoming cheap japs & ofcourse the koreans with their copycat designs.

The luxury space will be the turf of the germans. Selling a few imports and behaving as if Indian diesel aint good enuff is plain bluff. Hence a move to the populist way.
Old 16th September 2012, 01:12   #30
Senior - BHPian

Honda has just launched the new Civic in Pakistan. The car looks good from the outside but the interior is a bit of a let down.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks