Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2012, 12:06   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Honda to Launch BRIO Automatic by Diwali EDIT - Clear Pics on Pg 7 & 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@RavenAvi; Thanks. This is killer pricing. Like Manmohan Singh waking up looks like Honda have also woken up. Is it the effect of Jettisoning Sriram! Looks like the i20 AT is as good as dead.

My old Zen AT was a carb (50 ponies), and the current Santro has 60 odd. So this beastie with 88 bhp will be more than adequate, nay excellent. I think next week I will call up the dealer for more info. I am (hopefully) the first in the queue. I had written to Honda in March suggesting an AT Brio!
They are gunning for the i10 AT, no doubt. And there are not many good options for an AT in this price range/segment. I can foresee a jump in sales of the Brio after this AT variant is launched, petrol prices notwithstanding.

Honda needs to have a proper advertising platform for the Brio AT and not overshoot the originally decided pricing, now that they are all set to increase prices of the Brio, Jazz & City after October 1st. We have a real winner on our hands here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Should be an interesting fight - the power to weight ratio of Brio is neck to neck with i10. All shall depend on the in gear acceleration and autobox. Can't wait for the tbhp review!!
I drove it inside the Honda compound (they didn't let me take it out for obvious reasons) for about 10 minutes.

My observations from the short drive:

- Gear shifting is virtually non-existent. Anyone who has driven the manual Brio would need to have a second look to see if it's really the Automatic they are driving.

- Acceleration is smooth, linear and continuous. Very Honda-ish. I dare say it's smoother than it's bigger brothers, the Jazz & the City.

- This baby Honda AT has some serious pep as well, great for jumping off the blocks when the signal turns green, and for that extra power needed when overtaking inside the city. I thought that performance is at par with the manual variant.

- I am told that there is torque on offer as well. (Couldn't check it myself, couldn't take it past 40 on D) So if you are thinking of stints on the highways, better start packing your bags for those trips.

All in all, there's little to distinguish between the manual and AT variants, performance-wise. Brio lovers will fall in love all over again.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 28th September 2012 at 12:07.
RavenAvi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th September 2012, 12:16   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
- The model pictured here is the V-AT, expected to be priced at about 5.75-5.8L, ex-showroom Delhi, which brings it at around 6.4L OTR.

- There will be a S-AT on offer as well. Expected price = 5.45-5.5L, ex-showroom Delhi. This variant might be advertised as "Brio AT, starting at 5.99L!"...
Thanks for the scoop. The highlighted portion is a typo on the price? You meant to sat "prices start at 5.49L" ?
Old 28th September 2012, 12:31   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Thanks for the scoop. The highlighted portion is a typo on the price? You meant to sat "prices start at 5.49L" ?
Ah yes, if they advertise the ex-showroom price.

5.99L would be the OTR price. Maybe they would advertise that and add a * saying "this includes RT + Insurance Charges".
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2012, 12:43   #109
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
D, D3, 2 and 1 on the shifter indicates four preset combinations. Yes, CVT presets are essentially RPM/Speed presets, but do have inputs from other sensors are well. Why we need these is to control rubber banding. A CVT is much lighter and smaller than the comparable MT!
My Accord is a 5 speed yet it has those same gear shift positions. That does not mean its a 4 speed.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2012, 12:50   #110
BHPian

Quote:
I drove it inside the Honda compound (they didn't let me take it out for obvious reasons) for about 10 minutes.
What else can you share? Did the dashboard have any Gear shift indicators, ie, which gear the car is currently engaged in?
Old 28th September 2012, 12:51   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- Gear shifting is virtually non-existent.
This is expected as there is nothing like a gear 'shift' in the CVT (unless you are operating the pre-select shift points manually)
Belt/chain slides over a set of cones to provide infinite gear ratios.

Did you feel any 'rubber band' effect?
Old 28th September 2012, 12:59   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmadhok View Post
What else can you share? Did the dashboard have any Gear shift indicators, ie, which gear the car is currently engaged in?
Nope, just the "ECO" indicator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
This is expected as there is nothing like a gear 'shift' in the CVT (unless you are operating the pre-select shift points manually)
Belt/chain slides over a set of cones to provide infinite gear ratios.

Did you feel any 'rubber band' effect?
Like a twinging effect? Only slightly during the initial off-the-blocks pull. It disappeared within seconds.

I am going back on Monday. Let me see if I can make some more observations on the driving dynamics. And get more pictures as well.
Old 28th September 2012, 13:06   #113
BHPian

Brio diesel and now Brio AT - what's with Honda's fascination for the Brio? I would love to see these two options (diesel + AT) in the Jazz instead which is more of an all rounder. A 1.5L AT Jazz and a diesel Jazz will do wonders for Honda.
Old 28th September 2012, 13:41   #114
BHPian

Quote:

- Gear shifting is virtually non-existent. Anyone who has driven the manual Brio would need to have a second look to see if it's really the Automatic they are driving.
Did you experience lack of low end torque especially in 2nd gear?

Quote:
- Acceleration is smooth, linear and continuous. Very Honda-ish. I dare say it's smoother than it's bigger brothers, the Jazz & the City.
Steering is definitely lighter than even the City. You throw it around corners and she'll gladly comply all day. Great car for city B2B traffic.
Old 28th September 2012, 14:36   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@RavenAvi; Thanks. This is killer pricing. Like Manmohan Singh waking up looks like Honda have also woken up. Is it the effect of Jettisoning Sriram! Looks like the i20 AT is as good as dead.

My old Zen AT was a carb (50 ponies), and the current Santro has 60 odd. So this beastie with 88 bhp will be more than adequate, nay excellent. I think next week I will call up the dealer for more info. I am (hopefully) the first in the queue. I had written to Honda in March suggesting an AT Brio!
Manmohan Singh definitely seems to have waken up after 2002 when he opposed the FDI in retail... please excuse me, but, my comment is not a potshot/ suggestion on your "Rajneetic Vichardhara".

Quote:

- This baby Honda AT has some serious pep as well, great for jumping off the blocks when the signal turns green, and for that extra power needed when overtaking inside the city. I thought that performance is at par with the manual variant.

- I am told that there is torque on offer as well. (Couldn't check it myself, couldn't take it past 40 on D) So if you are thinking of stints on the highways, better start packing your bags for those trips.

All in all, there's little to distinguish between the manual and AT variants, performance-wise. Brio lovers will fall in love all over again.
Hmm... drives much better than Hyundai i10, the mileage will definitely be better than i10 or A-Star despite engine size weight as Hondas have been more fuel efficient as compared to Hyundai & Maruti till date IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Brio diesel and now Brio AT - what's with Honda's fascination for the Brio? I would love to see these two options (diesel + AT) in the Jazz instead which is more of an all rounder. A 1.5L AT Jazz and a diesel Jazz will do wonders for Honda.
... add the Brio based MUV & sedan as well .
Old 28th September 2012, 14:48   #116
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Manmohan Singh definitely seems to have waken up after 2002 when he opposed the FDI in retail... please excuse me, but, my comment is not a potshot/ suggestion on your "Rajneetic Vichardhara".
It seems that to change your mind is much more of a politicians virtue that a ladies! MMS oppssing FDI, TMC supporting, BJP also mildly in favour (after all the Jan Sangh was known as the Bania-Brahmin party) , that is all part of the game.

Quote:
Hmm... drives much better than Hyundai i10, the mileage will definitely be better than i10 or A-Star despite engine size weight as Hondas have been more fuel efficient as compared to Hyundai & Maruti till date IMO.
Cannot agree more. Also, the cabin is larger than the i10. You get a proper four speed box in place of the prehistoric 3+1 of Hyundai. I expect that to be upgraded very soon.

Looks like some are already with the dealers to get the State RTO clearance. I never know that the car has to be certified in each state.

Last edited by sgiitk : 28th September 2012 at 14:50. Reason: Last paragraph added
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2012, 14:57   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- The model pictured here is the V-AT, expected to be priced at about 5.75-5.8L, ex-showroom Delhi, which brings it at around 6.4L OTR.
Thanks for sharing. If this is true then looks like Honda has got its act right, this time around. I am looking at an AT for my wife for the last few years and the only options were A-Star and i-10. With the entry of the Brio, no doubt that this is what I will go in for whenever I get ready to buy it. Am sure the Brio AT is for sure a game changer in the auto hatch segment.
Old 28th September 2012, 15:05   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It seems that to change your mind is much more of a politicians virtue that a ladies! MMS oppssing FDI, TMC supporting, BJP also mildly in favour (after all the Jan Sangh was known as the Bania-Brahmin party) , that is all part of the game.
HaHa, I am yet to have any political alienation from one for other, unfortunately, the due to efficiency of Govt. Deptts. I fear I may not be able to vote in 2014 (I changed my residence quite some time back & they haven't updated the voters list). BTW, I never has as regard for Hon'ble PM as I had for few others in the past (Indiraji, Rajivji & Atalji were much-2 better & upright; & Rahul would have made more sense then him considering the maturity displayed). What a waste of knowledge he has been... just to cling to a seat of power. I an even ashamed he is Sikh, because a real Sikh is a different persona altogether.

Lesser said about him is better for me... Sorry, but, cannot even be sarcastic about him.

Quote:
Cannot agree more. Also, the cabin is larger than the i10. You get a proper four speed box in place of the prehistoric 3+1 of Hyundai. I expect that to be upgraded very soon.

Looks like some are already with the dealers to get the State RTO clearance. I never know that the car has to be certified in each state.
The cabin space is almost same as i10 (maybe little more, but boot space is at par with A-Star unfortunately).
Old 28th September 2012, 16:10   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nope, just the "ECO" indicator.
You know, the lack of a gear indicator in the instrument console is the thing I miss the most in my Santro AT. If the Brio had it, it was a definite buy but the fact that it doesn't, makes me lose interest. Sometimes, its the really small and insignificant stuff that matters the most.
Old 28th September 2012, 16:17   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Brio has been doing well while Jazz is a proven dud! It makes sense to invest more into a better selling product which coincidentally is a mass vehicle here! I don't see the ROI justifying any investment on Jazz anymore. What they probably should do is to bring in the next gen Jazz ASAP and try and price is superbly, bring the diesel / AT options right from the beginning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
... add the Brio based MUV & sedan as well .
While Brio sedan is confirmed, the MPV will be based on Jazz & NOT Brio.

PS::
I am quite happy that though late, Honda has started picking the pulse of Indian market. Just wish they bring in an AT in their diesel Brio too! That would be a first in India in the segment and can give them enough advantage!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 28th September 2012 at 16:20. Reason: Added "PS" !
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks