Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2012, 10:59   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Spotted: Isuzu Alterra Undergoing Testing

Looks like a love child from the Force One and the Honda CRV . How come this is so different look and spacewise from the Force?
If priced alongside the Force/XUV/Storme it may sell well, however if Nissan chooses to apply its Japanese Yen standards, then we may see one more Kisashi
Old 30th October 2012, 11:21   #32
Senior - BHPian

I agree will all who have commented that the vehicle is huge... it will be the Chevy Suburban of India, when launched.

Hope they price it in correct range & manage A.S.S. properly unlike Nissan (whose dealer don't seem to be impressed with the company tactics, & claim that Renault dealers are better off as compared to them).
Old 30th October 2012, 11:43   #33
BHPian

It looks like a cross between an Escalade and a funeral hearse. Just look at the design disaster between the C and D pillars!
Old 30th October 2012, 12:09   #34
BHPian

I was speaking to a friend recently who hails from the Automotive industry and he was not very hopeful that an Alterra in India undergoing testing signifies that they will launch it here. A lot of auto companies test their cars in India because sadly Indian conditions give them so much criteria even advanced labs can not.

On the other hand if they do launch it then they need to add a lot of reasons to make it a compelling buy for the Indian people. Price will be the biggest diffrentiator. Quality and brand image will also be a player in the decision making process. The Trailblazer on the other hand should have been the vehicle to launch, but you never know if the Duster can sell here just shows how much our nation is crazy about Crossover's/SUV's.
Old 30th October 2012, 12:19   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
A Isuzu hasn't been in the news for making an India entry so it could be an import.
Chevrolet Tavera is infact rebadged Isuzu Panther. This may be same way the Alterra may find its way into Indian Market. Since the Trailblazer has been put on hold on account of manufacturing limits of the plant, this may be contigency plan.

My reqest . Work on C and D Pillar and the last row window. It spoils other wise a decent looker.
Old 30th October 2012, 12:28   #36
BHPian

I wonder why GM is considering launching an outdated SUV from the Isuzu portfolio when there's already a poorly-made clone of it in India (Force One). It will likely have a bowtie on it's grille, as the Isuzu brand name only associated with trucks/buses in India as of now.

I would think that they'd have second thoughts about having a negative image rub off on their newly launched product. Moreover this Alterra/D-Max platform is pretty dated and is being replaced in Thailand and the US.

GM should really consider bringing in the spanking new Trailblazer to India instead.

Last edited by coloneljasi : 30th October 2012 at 12:38.
Old 30th October 2012, 13:48   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
Chevrolet Tavera is infact rebadged Isuzu Panther. This may be same way the Alterra may find its way into Indian Market. Since the Trailblazer has been put on hold on account of manufacturing limits of the plant, this may be contigency plan.

My reqest . Work on C and D Pillar and the last row window. It spoils other wise a decent looker.

I was going to say the same thing about the Tavera being a rebadged Isuzu Panther. I was actually wondering when the new tavera was launched that why didn't GM bring in the new look panther rather than just reworking on the old design.

If some of us remember, GM had actually got in the Subaru Forester and rebadged it the Chevy Forester. Even though it was an amazing vehicle, hardly any got sold. If GM is bringing in the Alterra, they better do something about the looks.
Old 21st December 2012, 18:45   #38
Senior - BHPian

One cars have reported the recent sighting (Video) of the SUV... here-

http://www.oncars.in/Car-News-Detail...t-testing/3389

Another vehicle (the pickup based on above SUV) is reported testing in Pune in ACI Forum. Please peruse the below link:

http://forum.autocarindia.com/index....ted-in-pune%2F
Old 22nd January 2013, 12:25   #39
Senior - BHPian

Isuzu MU-7 likely to be brought in
http://www.autocarindia.com/Magazine/Default.aspx
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 16:29   #40
Senior - BHPian

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/18214027.cms

More news about the Isuzu plans.
Old 11th February 2013, 19:22   #41
BHPian

Isuzu opened its first dealership in Hyderabad this morning. They have plans for one more in coming days in Coimbatore. However, they are going to take small steps in India and go extremely slow in establishing themselves.

The product portfolio for now is a 7-Seater SUV (MU7), DMax Pick-ups (Crew Cabin & Single Cabin), all three RWD only. Based on the response from customer's they would introduce 4WD & AT options in future.

Cheers,
Ardy
Ardy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 11:52   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
Isuzu opened its first dealership in Hyderabad this morning. They have plans for one more in coming days in Coimbatore. However, they are going to take small steps in India and go extremely slow in establishing themselves.

The product portfolio for now is a 7-Seater SUV (MU7), DMax Pick-ups (Crew Cabin & Single Cabin), all three RWD only. Based on the response from customer's they would introduce 4WD & AT options in future.

Cheers,
Ardy
Isuzu have TEST launched the MU-7 SUV & D-Max Pickup trucks in India, starting @ Rs.23.75 lacs & Rs.6.87 lacs respectively. Indiancarsbikes detailed report on the same:

http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/cars/i...n-india-67670/

... & link to company's Deputy MD's interview with The Hindu:

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...ue&ref=wl_home
Old 12th February 2013, 13:16   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Isuzu have TEST launched the MU-7 SUV & D-Max Pickup trucks in India, starting @ Rs.23.75 lacs & Rs.6.87 lacs respectively. Indiancarsbikes detailed report on the same:

http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/cars/i...n-india-67670/

... & link to company's Deputy MD's interview with The Hindu:

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...ue&ref=wl_home
D-Max looks promising. The Xenon or Getaway haven't really been making much of a mark but then maybe its how they have been positioned. If Isuzu could manufacture the D-Max in India and sell a top end twin-cab 4x4 for around 10lacs, i'm sold! Wishful thinking?
Old 12th February 2013, 14:43   #44
Senior - BHPian

I could not even find an India specific website to see the feature list of D-Max, so that I can understand how they have managed to undercut Xenon XT in pricing!

Or is there any clause in India-Thailand FTA that trucks can be imported at lesser tax?

Alterra seems terribly overpriced for an unknown brand. Its competition from Thailand (Endavour, Fortuner) is much cheaper. As a customer, why would I bother whether it is CBU or CKD? Seems like Isuzu did not want to sell the car at cost-price or at loss even while testing waters. I get a feeling that they are not too bothered about volumes, as they are not targeting metro cities.
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 17:27   #45
Senior - BHPian

A problem with all the tall (ladder on frame) SUVs including the Fortuner is the low height of the last row seats. The problem arises out of the fact that the SUVs are already tall and increasing the height of the cabin any further (to accommodate taller seats) will lead to poor dynamics and instability. But Mahindra for one have gone against the tide and increased the cabin height of Xylo to unseen proportions to counter this problem; but that has led to excessive body roll in the Xylo.

The seats aren't comfortable at all with the knees pointing upwards. Such a seating will be fine for short distances but on a long journey they cause pain.

The Endevour, Fortuner, the upcoming Isuzu MU-7, Force One all have the typical layout. This is where the Innova and Ertiga (marginally better than Innova IMHO) fare better in terms of last row seating where the seats are ergonomic. I'm curious to know how the last row seating position of the Isuzu MU-7 is in comparison to the rest. At least in theory I'm afraid I already have the answer!

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 12th February 2013 at 17:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks