Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2014, 10:25   #121
Team-BHP Support

re: Scoop! 3rd-Gen Hyundai Santa Fe spotted testing in India. EDIT: Now launched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Is it just me that thinks that Hyundai have gone bonkers with the pricing on this one, particularly the AT variant?
I mean, a Santa Fe for 32L+!!! Why on earth?
The current Santa Fe 4WD AT is 33.6L onroad bangalore and 27L ex-showroom.

32L is not so bad really, looking at the prices of the CR-V, Koleos, Fortuner and the X1.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 10:33   #122
Senior - BHPian

re: Scoop! 3rd-Gen Hyundai Santa Fe spotted testing in India. EDIT: Now launched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

32L is not so bad really, looking at the prices of the CR-V, Koleos, Fortuner and the X1.
Agreed, but Hyundai isn't in the same league yet, when it comes to brand perception. Koleos pricing was always outrageous as well.
I agree that the Santa Fe seems quite practical and nicely kitted, but sub 30 Lacs take home price would have made it more appealing.
Rexton becomes such a VFM offering in this segment with a cool 8-10 lacs to spare if something goes wrong.
Old 29th January 2014, 10:40   #123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Agreed, but Hyundai isn't in the same league yet, when it comes to brand perception. Koleos pricing was always outrageous as well.
I agree that the Santa Fe seems quite practical and nicely kitted, but sub 30 Lacs take home price would have made it more appealing.
Rexton becomes such a VFM offering in this segment with a cool 8-10 lacs to spare if something goes wrong.
I think what you mean is Hyundai at one time wasn't in the same league. The Elantra is outselling even the famed Toyota Altis in the D segment and the old Santa Fe wasn't exactly a complete flop given the fact that it was a generation old and looked very plain.

The Fortuner for close to 30L feels stripped down and too close to the 15L Innova when it comes to interiors. My dad sat in one and was wondering why it was worth 2X the Altis price with such cheap interiors.

Then the Rexton. Drive one you will know why it doesn't sell as much as the Fortuner even though it is 5-6L lesser. The steering is ridiculously light with no weight, the suspension is completely old school, so is the lazy gearbox. The brakes are terribly spongy.

I wish the Santa Fe would be sub 30L for the top end variant but I don't have much hopes looking at Fortuner, CR-V and Koleos pricing.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 11:56   #124

I will have to mention 2 things here:

1. This is not the official presentation. It is nowhere close to the official presentation.
2. Many figures and features quoted are wrong/incorrect/incomplete, especially the ARAI Mileage. The mileage is much lower than 24 kmpl, yet it is the best in segment.
Old 29th January 2014, 12:22   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

I am with you on this. A realistic price + more value is any day better than a bait-and-switch game, where they advertise low prices for the first 2 months only to switch them out later.

The key is now execution: advertisements, incentives, ensuring that they have sufficient test-drive vehicles, decent lead times etc. If they manage that and folks are convinced that running costs are low, demand will flock to the showrooms.
Old 29th January 2014, 12:41   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Even if priced couple of lakhs more than Fortuner, the new Santa Fe will be a hit. Last gen also was outsold as per Hyundai's expectation. I believe a lot of people who look at Fortuner are turned off seeing the same "Innova" interiors. And for them, the 4WD / practical nature of Fortuner alone doesn't make a cut. Those are the ones who actually look for more bang for their bucks than the go-anywhere capability.

Santa Fe will appeal to such a crowd - Loaded with features, (assuming) premium interiors, better specs. I for one, reluctantly will agree that Hyundai is now THERE with some of those players and can command a premium.

We are probably trying to turn a blind eye by hailing other players for their legacy without appreciating the transformation which Hyundai has gone thru and what they are offering us. While we happily bash some players for providing down market, year old products, we have to remember Hyundai provides latest top-notch quality & class leading features with well acceptable reliability levels.

I'll pick a Fortuner for bash thru roads; Santa Fe for a pampered highway travel.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 29th January 2014 at 12:46.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 18:21   #127
BHPian

Some info update on colors available-
1. Wine Red
2. Thunder Black
3. Stardust ( guess its shade of grey)
4. Slick Silver
5. Pure White ( I guess it may be a non mettalic shade).

FE for 4wd AT may be 2-3 kmpl less than the claimed ARAI FE in ppt shared( 2wd MT).

PS:This info is from a reasonably reliable source but have no other means to verify it.
Hope @entropy is able to decide and book now.
shatrughna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 22:35   #128
BHPian

With launch near first TD cars have arrived
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! 3rd-Gen Hyundai Santa Fe spotted testing in India. EDIT: Now launched.-hyundai-sanat-fe-2.jpg  

Scoop! 3rd-Gen Hyundai Santa Fe spotted testing in India. EDIT: Now launched.-hyundai-santa-fe-centreconsole1.jpg  

Last edited by skyline gtr r34 : 29th January 2014 at 22:49.
skyline gtr r34 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 23:10   #129
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Well the pricing seems to be a little on the higher side considering the fact that it will be a five seater and a product from Hyundai. Well its not that Hyundai is any inferior brand but we expect Hyundai to offer us value for money packages. I currently own an i20 and I have great respect towards Hyundai brand. But somehow cant digest the projected pricing for the Santa Fe. Well looks like it still is being offered as a CBU and not as a CKD or Built in India.
I had got to read that Hyundai was seriously considering heavy localization to keep costs low and was planning to either manufacture here or at least go the CKD way. In that case the prices projected seem a little high and looks like Hyundai is not having intent of selling the Santa Fe in volumes.
Considering the comparison of features with the competition the Santa Fe has many more ticks than the comparison but that is the reason people buy Hyundai products over the competition like Honda, Toyota, VW etc. For example if we compare the i20 with the likes of Swift, Polo and Liva i20 offers much value for money and more features than the competition. The same logic should apply to Santa Fe also. The current projected prices put the Santa Fe into the league of other 5 seater SUVs such as the Q3 and X1 which are premium brands when compared to Hyundai.
Hence in my opinion Hyundai needs to price its top end Santa Fe below 25 lakhs which will translate to a 30 lakh OTR price in states like Karnataka.

Last edited by patil : 29th January 2014 at 23:13.
patil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 23:21   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
Hi Guys,
Well the pricing seems to be a little on the higher side considering the fact that it will be a five seater and a product from Hyundai. .
SantaFe is a 7 seater, right guys?
Even in the PPT presentation it says separate A/c vents for 3rd rows too.
undead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 23:54   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
The prices ex-showroom ( Mumbai- Octroi) are as follows:

4X2 Dsl MT - 2551652/-
4X4 Dsl MT - 2775651/-
4X4 Dsl AT- 2876204/-
Just curious, aren't these prices the same as in Hyundai's website?

R 2.2L CRDi 6-Speed Manual 2WD 2,551,653
R 2.2L CRDi 6-Speed Manual 4WD 2,775,650
R 2.2L CRDi 6-Speed Automatic 4WD 2,876,205

The Re. 1 difference might be due to rounding- off?
Yeldo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 06:52   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
Just curious, aren't these prices the same as in Hyundai's website?

R 2.2L CRDi 6-Speed Manual 2WD 2,551,653
R 2.2L CRDi 6-Speed Manual 4WD 2,775,650
R 2.2L CRDi 6-Speed Automatic 4WD 2,876,205

The Re. 1 difference might be due to rounding- off?
Its the same query I too raised but person concerned said its a reasonably good speculation considering the fact that current ones are sold( stock clearance) with Rs approx.1.5 lakh - 1.75 discount . By pricing it in this range they would not be reducing the list price. This is still speculative but dealer would accept booking at these prices with reasonable confidence. I would tend to agree with this strategy as its a rare possibility that a mfr would launch new version at any reduced price. I just hope they dont raise it.

Some automotive websites have mentioned that the current Santa Fe is CBU which is incorrect. They had launched it as CBU but later it was brought in SKD/ CKD without any chnage in prices. However, customers benefitted by reduced registration cost (since registration cost its more for CBU models). On 5th Feb , it is expected that dealers would get complete information. Lets wait till then.

Last edited by shatrughna : 30th January 2014 at 06:57. Reason: added a sentence
Old 30th January 2014, 12:03   #133
Senior - BHPian

Guys, with due respect to the prospective owners of new Santa Fe, don't you think that the interiors of the new Santa Fe are a bit Eonish? People who are turned off by looking at Innova interiors in Fortuner will definitely not appreciate Eon like Interiors in something that costs 10 times more!
amtak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 13:22   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
Some info update on colors available-
1. Wine Red
2. Thunder Black
3. Stardust ( guess its shade of grey)
4. Slick Silver
5. Pure White ( I guess it may be a non mettalic shade).
Thanks for this info. Still in split minds whether to go for AWD AT or MT. The current one I have is AWD MT. There are both kind of reviews on the internet - both for and against the AT. If the performance/efficiency loss is not great I'd rather go for AT for sheer convenience. Anyway few more days to go until the picture is clearer ...
Old 30th January 2014, 13:28   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

For a 30+ lakh vehicle, i was expecting a full blown touch screen HU. But looks like Hyundai has down speeced for Indian market. That is a very basic looking unit
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks