Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2013, 15:16   #61
BHPian

Re: Spotted: Volkswagen Golf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Went and had an even more detailed look. It quite a junior Passat! Also managed to get a peek of the interior!
You meant "junior jetta"? They share a platform. Not eaxctly passat. The former two share A series platform and the latter one uses B series platform of VW.

***After posting I saw the MQB war going on already :-)

The MQB currently caters to Golf and Jetta from VW and few others such as the new Octy. You can read here. But the MQB is not yet being used for Passat and Phaeton. But there is a news that 2014 Passat (which VW recently hinted they will be launching towards the end of 2014) is possibly based on MQB. Read here about it.

Last edited by BurningHeart : 31st December 2013 at 15:31. Reason: MQB war made me repost :-)
Old 31st December 2013, 15:25   #62
BHPian

Golf and Jetta are priced almost on par with higher models of Golf being more expensive. This model shares platform with Skoda Octavia and VW prices it more than that too. As for VFM, whether it is worth it, it surely is. Its an engineering marvel and World Car of the Year, no mean feat that. Sincerely hope VW gets Golf to India.
Old 31st December 2013, 15:28   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
But the Bluemotion is a top of the range Golf that gets road tax advantages because of its low CO2 emissions.
Would it? I have not seen any such tax advantages for the Passat which comes with Bluemotion. If yes, then the dealer was probably trying to milk me!
Old 31st December 2013, 15:37   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Would it? I have not seen any such tax advantages for the Passat which comes with Bluemotion. If yes, then the dealer was probably trying to milk me!
In the U.K., not here. My apologies for the confusion.

Last edited by StarScream : 31st December 2013 at 15:39.
Old 31st December 2013, 17:04   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

The VW Golf competes in the same class as the Skoda Octavia in the UK. Prices are almost on par if not higher. Now people on this forum are finding it difficult to digest the prices of the new Octavia. There is no way in the world our market will accept a VW hatchback at 20L+ no matter how good it is.

In fact the Jetta (Golf with a boot) is there precisely for markets like ours, where hatchbacks have a price resistance barrier. But I do hope they bring in a Golf GTi as a halo product for us enthusiasts to drool over and talk about. .

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 31st December 2013 at 17:07.
Santoshbhat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2013, 17:16   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think things have changed in our market enough to have this as a low volume, niche product. If BMW can launch the 1-Series and Mercedes the A-Class (and the latter is apparently sold out) then clearly there's a market. VW is responsible for this change to some extent with the Polo GT versions.
I think the Golf can slot in between the Vento and Jetta. It is an iconic VW product and the brand will benefit from its halo even as they work on cheaper cars.
Yes, I believe the market is now warming up to products like the Golf. That said, in the international markets its priced above the Jetta, and I doubt if VW will dilute its iconic model’s value by pricing it between the Vento and Jetta. Personally, I would prefer a Golf over the Jetta, even if the former is priced higher.

Quote:
The Golf will not be competition for the A-Class by a long shot.
Check out this comparison

Last edited by vb-saan : 31st December 2013 at 17:24. Reason: new comments quoted
vb-saan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st December 2013, 19:41   #67
Senior - BHPian

Jetta is often called a Golf with a boot.

Anyway nice to see the Golf in India, VW must be considering a Golf since BWM1 and MB A Class have been launched in India.

On the contrary, both BMW1 and MB A were launched in Europe to take on the Golf!

1.2 TSI (Polo/Vento engine) or 1.4 TSI (Jetta engine) could be launched to keep the costs down otherwise the Golf wont do justice to its launch.

An iconic product if not launched with proper engine and price will be nothing much worth its pedigree!

VW

Last edited by Parm : 31st December 2013 at 19:42.
Old 1st January 2014, 19:04   #68
BHPian

VW as a brand in India, is a little lost. It's neither seen as a competitor to Maruti /Hyundai/Honda, nor the 3 luxury brands (BMW/AUDI /BENZ).

It's unable to compete with its own skoda, and there is no market that it really fits.
Passat is easily comparable to the luxury sedans double it's price, but it just isn't seen as a competitor.
If they bring Golf to India, it will be a flop even before it's launch. Customers looking at Merc A, or BMW 1 series, won't even consider golf (due to the brand image).

VW has amazing product line, but it will be tough to see success in India unless they go all out to localize heavily and sell at competitive price.
Old 22nd December 2014, 01:13   #69
BHPian

Re: SCOOP : VW Golf Spotted Testing In Pune, India

Bumping this thread.

^^
Heck I would much prefer a Golf GTI or even better, a Golf R rather than buying a Merc A, BMW 1 series or Audi A3. But the price of a Golf R would be something like a Mitsu Evo and hence a dud! But wish VW would get the Golf range here soon now!
Old 22nd December 2014, 13:27   #70
BHPian

If I'm not wrong then I don't think they have any plan to launch Golf anytime soon. Their next big launch is 2015 Jetta. Other car in the pipeline could be new Passat and Taigun. So I think it is safe to forget Golf for atleast two more years from now.
Old 22nd December 2014, 18:40   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajusherief View Post
Thanks for the scoop mikon. It's a right hand drive car that i can see here, so can't really rule out that they don't have any plan for India release.
I kinda Disagree. VW Golfs available in the UK & Australian markets are also right hand drive cars. It's not that they have developed this right hand drive mule specifically for India. It's more of a case of testing different engine parameters as mentioned in the introductory post.
Old 22nd December 2014, 20:15   #72
Senior - BHPian

As much as I love the Golf, there is no way it would do well in India. People will think it's a typo when they see that a Golf costs more than the Jetta.
Old 23rd December 2014, 09:29   #73
BHPian

Last week Ii was speaking to someone close to VW India, precisely from there communication department. VW do not have any plans to launch this in India yet. This could be purely for research or export purpose. They already have the Aurangabad plant dedicated to CKDs.
Old 3rd November 2015, 11:59   #74
Senior - BHPian

A 1.2Tsi Golf has sneaked in a few days back. I wonder, is VW even considering it? Can a Golf be competitively priced by taking advantage of the 1.2 rule?
Attached Thumbnails
SCOOP : VW Golf Spotted Testing In Pune, India-zauba.png  

Old 3rd November 2015, 12:29   #75
Senior - BHPian

The Golf is 4269mm long. So, no sub-4m benefits for it. Maybe VW has decided to jump on to the premium hatchback bandwagon with the Golf as their offering.

It will work in India only if it is priced between the Polo and Vento. Which probably means Polo prices need to be dropped by around 75K across all variants, and Vento prices should be kept firm.

And Golf pricing between Polo and Vento will happen only if it is going to be heavily localised.

I am wondering - is it just a test mule for an engine or ECU or some other system?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks