Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2013, 12:44   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mercedes A-Class Preview : Pictures & Details

MB launches A180 Sport petrol priced at Rs 22.73 lakh and A180 Style diesel at Rs 21.93 lakh. All prices ex-showroom, Mumbai.

Quote:
The 1.6-litre petrol engine makes 122PS of power and 200Nm of torque. The same engine can also be found in the B-Class which was recently launched here in India. The 7-speed dual clutch automatic gearbox too is the same. It offers the driver 3 different modes to choose from – Eco (Drive), Sport and Manual.

- Fuel economy figures for the diesel and petrol powered A-Class rated at 20.07 kmpl and 15.5 kmpl respectively.

- A180 Sport petrol priced at Rs 22.73 lakh and A180 Style diesel at Rs 21.93 lakh. All prices ex-showroom, Mumbai.

- Standard safety tech includes 7 airbags, ESP, Attention Assist, Tyre Pressure Loss Warning system, Hill Start Assist and Hold Assist, Electric Parking Brake and some more.
http://www.oncars.in/Car-News-Detail...-in-India/4215

Last edited by volkman10 : 30th May 2013 at 12:45.
Old 30th May 2013, 12:47   #167
BHPian

Wow! Mouth watering to say the least. The auto industry has suddenly come up with some great cars at amazing prices (amaze, enjoy) but this one is a real good one. Although, the cars it has to compete with (Cruze /jetta et all) will be tough. Do we have to full list of features ?
Old 30th May 2013, 12:47   #168
BHPian

I'm curious about the diesel engine's spec. The brochure indicates that this is a 2143 CC diesel engine producing about 108 PS. Does Mercedes sell this engine in this state of tune anywhere else in the world?

When I first heard about the A180 CDI, I was worried we were getting the Renault K9K 1500 CC engine in the 110 PS state of tune (same as the Fluence and Duster) that gained notoreity in Mat Watson's comparison of luxury hatchbacks (link shared in one of the earlier pages in this thread). With the displacement mentioned in the brochure, seems to me that we are getting a thoroughbred Mercedes engine. But why on earth, is it in such an abysmally low state of tune? This looks like a very peculiar decision from Mercedes.

Can someone clarify if I've gotten anything wrong in my understanding.

Last edited by Pyrotek : 30th May 2013 at 12:53.
Old 30th May 2013, 12:51   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Some live pics from the launch;

Mercedes A-Class Preview : Pictures & Details-382752_10151947761347067_1499022369_n.jpg

Mercedes A-Class Preview : Pictures & Details-198332_10151947785547067_517980059_n.jpg

Mercedes A-Class Preview : Pictures & Details-935545_10151629556658905_263026139_n.jpg

karan561 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 13:06   #170
BHPian

Here's the specification screenshot from Mercedes India website:

Name:  Picture 1.png
Views: 2063
Size:  85.9 KB

Brochure download link:

http://www.mercedes-benz.co.in/conte.../brochure.html
neeld is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 13:17   #171
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes A-Class Brochure

A-Class_Brochure_May_2013.pdf

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 14:29   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanj947 View Post
Hi Rehaan,

Answers to your queries given in reverse order-

3) I'm looking to upgrade from my civic (5+years). The car will be primarily used for my daily office commute, weekend picnics or parties and probably an out of town drive once a month. I drive myself and the family is pretty small (3.1/2) and we have another car as well.

2) Frankly I have considered the whole market range between 15-25 lacs. I was clear that the car should have automatic transmission. Petrol vs Diesel didn't matter too much as my mileage is very low (<800km p.m.) and considering that within a year both will cost almost the same (???)
Went through Cruze, Elantra, Fluence, Jetta, Laura (none of them seemed to be too much of an upgrade though I felt that the jetta was way better than the rest) Also saw Accord, superb, sonata but found them too large for my predominantly city usage.
Briefly also considered the Fortuner & Rexton but again found them to be too heavy and cumbersome for my liking.
The best options seemed to be the 1st generation X1 and the new CRV.
The new CRV somehow feels too bland on the inside and a bit over-priced as well.
A few leftover examples of the earlier X1 were available at fantastic discount brInging almost within my budget. But I was not impressed with the relatively spartan cabin (s20d) and very limited equipment though this was easily the best drivers car I had tested.

1) Which brings us to - why the A class?
Well it ticked all the boxes in terms of being --
- compact yet large enough for 3,
- a relatively recent product worldwide,
- an obvious upgrade from the big 'H' to the 3 pointed star
- an automatic with huge list of goodies Et al

But, for me the choice of what car to buy goes far beyond the logical and the obvious and becomes more instinctive and emotional.
The car should excite you and make you dream of the day you will own it and drive it. There are lots of super expensive super cars that can do this too easily, but when something that fits into your budget manages to do it.....bingo!!! That's what happened to me I guess.

Though I'm keeping my fingers crossed that MB doesn't go and do something really stupid with the pricing and puts it beyond 26-27l
The pre-booking amount is refundable with a minor penalty of 1-2k but that's not the path I want to tread on......

Why not looks at the B class too? It definitely will have more space, and is very easy to get in and out. Its only a few lakh more than the A, and there are good deals on it too.
Old 30th May 2013, 14:30   #173
BHPian

Link to full news article

Mercedes A-Class Preview : Pictures & Details-image-3.jpg

Mercedes A-Class Preview : Pictures & Details-image-1.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 30th May 2013 at 15:44.
Redline6800 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 14:31   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Launch Prices:

A-180 Sport (Petrol): 22.73L

A-180 Style (Diesel): 21.93L
If I'm not wrong, these prices are ex-showroom mumbai?
Any idea about the delhi - Gurgaon prices?
Thanks.
Also I feel it's slightly steeply priced. They could have easily pulled of a sub 20 lakh car. Not very good pricing. Mercedes should have aimed at bulk sales and kept profits minimum. They've missed a mark in my understanding.
Old 30th May 2013, 14:44   #175
BANNED

Its taking time for the price related news travel to Bangalore. Prices will be available(revealed !!!) tomorrow. The star lease program most likely will be offered to this entry level A class as well, but no official confirmation yet (atleast Sundaram Motors, Bangalore hasnt any yet).
Old 30th May 2013, 15:32   #176
BHPian

Saw the car at the Sundaram Motors today, Looks absolutely SMASHING!!!
The Front Grill is awesome.DROOOL Material
But will easily touch 30 big ones here in Bangalore :(

Also checked out the GL Class, the seat covers from Designos, the electric controls, the V6 Engine
aahhha... Felt like a kid in a candy shop!!!

Last edited by InControl : 30th May 2013 at 15:34. Reason: GL Class Details added
Old 30th May 2013, 16:01   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirag911 View Post
If I'm not wrong, these prices are ex-showroom mumbai?
Any idea about the delhi - Gurgaon prices?
Thanks.
Also I feel it's slightly steeply priced. They could have easily pulled of a sub 20 lakh car. Not very good pricing. Mercedes should have aimed at bulk sales and kept profits minimum. They've missed a mark in my understanding.
These prices are ex-showroom Mumbai, correct.

All India prices will be available soon.

These prices are a bit on the higher side, but are touted as "introductory" prices. It's only a wait and watch game to see if and how these prices shoot up or come down further down the road. However, one thing is certain. Prices of the A will come down in 2014/15 when the A starts getting assembled in India - as of now it only comes as a CBU!
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 16:21   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotek View Post
I'm curious about the diesel engine's spec. The brochure indicates that this is a 2143 CC diesel engine producing about 108 PS. Does Mercedes sell this engine in this state of tune anywhere else in the world?

When I first heard about the A180 CDI, I was worried we were getting the Renault K9K 1500 CC engine in the 110 PS state of tune (same as the Fluence and Duster) that gained notoreity in Mat Watson's comparison of luxury hatchbacks (link shared in one of the earlier pages in this thread). With the displacement mentioned in the brochure, seems to me that we are getting a thoroughbred Mercedes engine. But why on earth, is it in such an abysmally low state of tune? This looks like a very peculiar decision from Mercedes.

Can someone clarify if I've gotten anything wrong in my understanding.
K9K in A-class is available only with manual transmission. And MBIL has made it clear that there is no demand for luxury cars with manual transmission here in India. I believe the heavy turbo lag is the reason that Mercedes (or Renault) are not able to mate the K9K 110PS engine with a dual clutch automatic transmission.

Even with low state of tune, the screenshot posted by neeld shows us that A180CDI is not much behind its petrol counterpart. The reason for low state of tune could be fuel efficiency. Now MBIL is able to boast that a full tank will take you a thousand KM without a need of refuelling. I can't think of any other car that can boast this!
Old 30th May 2013, 17:01   #179
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Launch Prices:
A-180 Sport (Petrol): 22.73L
A-180 Style (Diesel): 21.93L
Neutral pricing IMO. With the current pricing pattern of the premium Germans, 25-26 lakhs on-road is pretty decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipcarlover View Post
Very interesting to see the diesel cheaper than the petrol.
What are the spec differences between the two?
Mainly cosmetic. From the spec. sheet it looks like the diesel miss out on the panoramic sun-roof, diamond grille, sports seats etc.
Details here.

---------
Interestingly, Mercedes website is not explicitly mentioning the bhp figures. And confusing naming convention indeed - 1.6 petrol and 2.2 diesel both gets the name A180!
Old 30th May 2013, 17:07   #180
Team-BHP Support

They should have tried to undercut the 20L barrier. That would have been a pleasant surprise. If they had done like 19.87L for diesel then people would have stood up and took notice.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks