Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2013, 18:16   #181

Re: Mercedes A-Class Preview : Pictures & Details

A bit confused. I was checking out B Class petrol when it was launched. It was around 21.49 for the base version. A Class petrol is now priced at 22.xx? I thought A class will be priced around 15% cheaper than B Class. Rather it seems the other way around. Any clarifications?
Old 30th May 2013, 18:33   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Mainly cosmetic. From the spec. sheet it looks like the diesel miss out on the panoramic sun-roof, diamond grille, sports seats etc.
Details here.
Interesting, my perfect combo would be the Petrol in Style trim. Might bring the price under 20 lakh and would still be quite awesome.

Last edited by nipcarlover : 30th May 2013 at 18:41. Reason: edit typo
Old 30th May 2013, 19:12   #183
vij
BHPian

Its 4WD automatic diesel - so its not a bad price at all - IMO when you consider the pricing abroad, this is as good as you can expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
They should have tried to undercut the 20L barrier. That would have been a pleasant surprise. If they had done like 19.87L for diesel then people would have stood up and took notice.
Ya, too bad they didn't get the entry level petrol.

Last edited by vij : 30th May 2013 at 19:17.
Old 30th May 2013, 19:56   #184
Senior - BHPian

Would i have liked a 18-19L price ? Yes i would have
Do i think it still makes a great deal at around 25L on road Haryana? Yes i do.

Its a Mercedes after all and it looks fantastic. If only i can get the chota gaadi (hatchback syndrome) out of my Indian mindset, i would go for it.

Its got DSG and a Panoramic sunroof over and above all the other expected features, what else can one ask for?

Just wondering if they had made this beaut of a machine slightly taller like a X1, they may have had a stampede at their showrooms. India loves boots and India looooves tall (er!!) wannabe SUVs.
nik_kapur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 20:03   #185
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij View Post
Its 4WD automatic diesel - so its not a bad price at all - IMO when you consider the pricing abroad, this is as good as you can expect
4WD? Nope. This one is a Front wheel drive automatic diesel.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 20:07   #186
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
4WD? Nope. This one is a Front wheel drive automatic diesel.
Oops ok. What was I thinking
Old 30th May 2013, 20:07   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Neutral pricing IMO. With the current pricing pattern of the premium Germans, 25-26 lakhs on-road is pretty decent.

Mainly cosmetic. From the spec. sheet it looks like the diesel miss out on the panoramic sun-roof, diamond grille, sports seats etc.
Details here.

---------
Interestingly, Mercedes website is not explicitly mentioning the bhp figures. And confusing naming convention indeed - 1.6 petrol and 2.2 diesel both gets the name A180!
So Mercedes has priced the petrol higher than the diesel. Presumably this helps the diesel sell more. Then they do the most moronic thing on the planet and take out all the goodies from the diesel car.

So a cost conscious customer walks in and wants the diesel - because that's what Indian customers prefer today. (let's face it. All discussion on this thread has also been around the diesel). He's pleasantly surprised to see that diesel model is cheaper. Then he sees the beautiful car with the panoramic roof and many other goodies parked next to the diesel. Makes him feel small and cheated cuz none of these goodies are available in the diesel. Walks out confused as hell.
Old 30th May 2013, 20:16   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Not bad, reasonably priced than expected. but a little overdone from the front, what with the huge 3 point logo and diamond grill design and overly wide LED lighting. A little more traditional styling could have matched better with the rear & somewhat plain-cut interiors. Safety wise this is absolutely the Go-To car with a semi-affordable budget, they haven't skimped on features in most areas.

However, there is always a but and Mercedes have yet played their weakness with a FWD. Torque is good but I know the BMW 1-Series when launched will drive circles around this one with a RWD and much better engineered drive mechanics. Personally BMW is much better styled and also has better service options in India, and since it will be locally built it is going to be 10% cheaper and A-Class atleast to begin with.
Old 30th May 2013, 21:07   #189
Senior - BHPian

Went and took a look at the A Class today and it's a great looking car. It's also a lot bigger than pictures lead you to believe, especially width-ways! The petrol version comes with some decent kit, but is still missing some options that really ought to be standard at a 25 lakh price-point (Park sensors anyone?). Also the car I played with did not have any Sat Nav, though someone posted earlier in this thread that it came with Sat Nav (not that it's really useful here anyway!)

What really soured the entire visit to the dealership was taking a look at the spec sheet for the diesel version. Is MB REALLY offering us a car with 109 hp? The same engine has 168 hp in Europe and 350 nm torque. Here it's down 100 nm and 59 hp! Frankly, I don't care WHAT price they are selling it at, a FWD Merc that puts out 109 hp is a complete joke and whoever gave that detune the green light for India ought to get the boot!

Way to completely ruin your brand image by offering a 2.2 litre diesel with 109 hp at 20+ lakhs. I know it's a different segment and everything, but a Vento makes 105 hp and the same 250 nm from a 1.6, at less than half the price! Shame on you MBIL!

Last edited by kbk_75 : 30th May 2013 at 21:15.
kbk_75 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 21:38   #190
BHPian

Bad press just as they launch the A Class:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...bag-fault.html
John is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 22:16   #191
BHPian

I, for one, am extremely pleased that some manufacturer decided to take the plunge by launching a premium/luxury hatchback. If this works out, it could open whole new doors for 20-lakh hatchback market (think Audi A3, VW Golf etc. Who would like to see a Golf GTD running around on our streets?)
kinetic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 22:32   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetic View Post
I, for one, am extremely pleased that some manufacturer decided to take the plunge by launching a premium/luxury hatchback. If this works out, it could open whole new doors for 20-lakh hatchback market (think Audi A3, VW Golf etc. Who would like to see a Golf GTD running around on our streets?)
I'd LOVE to see a Golf in India, but certainly not if it was priced ~20 lakhs and made 109 hp!
kbk_75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 22:52   #193
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
Went and took a look at the A Class today and it's a great looking car. It's also a lot bigger than pictures lead you to believe, especially width-ways! The petrol version comes with some decent kit, but is still missing some options that really ought to be standard at a 25 lakh price-point (Park sensors anyone?). Also the car I played with did not have any Sat Nav, though someone posted earlier in this thread that it came with Sat Nav (not that it's really useful here anyway!)

What really soured the entire visit to the dealership was taking a look at the spec sheet for the diesel version. Is MB REALLY offering us a car with 109 hp? The same engine has 168 hp in Europe and 350 nm torque. Here it's down 100 nm and 59 hp! Frankly, I don't care WHAT price they are selling it at, a FWD Merc that puts out 109 hp is a complete joke and whoever gave that detune the green light for India ought to get the boot!

Way to completely ruin your brand image by offering a 2.2 litre diesel with 109 hp at 20+ lakhs. I know it's a different segment and everything, but a Vento makes 105 hp and the same 250 nm from a 1.6, at less than half the price! Shame on you MBIL!

with KBK.
the point which irks me, is the 'depowering'. If the Ventos and Rapids did not exist could have accepted the 109hp/250Nm, given our city traffic(highway runs not considered). But i think maybe this has been done to get a 20 ARAI. If MB assumed somebody in India dishing out 25L for a car is overly fuel economy conscious didn't they(MB) get it all WRONG
Hope to see CLA's(sedan version) power specs going north

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st June 2013 at 02:27. Reason: Only 2 smileys per post allowed, please read forum rules carefully before proceeding further, thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 23:52   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prits_moh View Post
If MB assumed somebody in India dishing out 25L for a car is overly fuel economy conscious didn't they(MB) get it all WRONG
100% agreed. Besides, we all know how realistic the ARAI fuel economy figures are so just who does MB think they are kidding with this stunt?
Old 31st May 2013, 00:21   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
I'd LOVE to see a Golf in India, but certainly not if it was priced ~20 lakhs and made 109 hp!
wholeheartedly agree! What I was getting at is that it would make a 14-15 lakh Golf look like a very reasonable option, especially if it can share engines with the existing VW-Skoda lot.

And to your previous post, I find the 109 hp output on the A-Class quite surprising to say the least. And a 122 hp petrol engine doesn't quite fit the SPORT tag that it carries either.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks