Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2013, 00:03   #16
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pics & Report: 2013 Skoda Octavia unveiled @ Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
Bi-xenon projector headlamps
This is a bit of a surprise! I guess this would be a segment first.
The Laura had the single xenon projector, while the Jetta which is considered a more premium offering doesn't even get that. Strange!
Old 10th August 2013, 00:04   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2013 Skoda Octavia unveiled in India; Team-BHP's launch report coming soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
If it was unveiled today why is the price not announced as yet? This seems to be like the new gimmick that companies have caught on.
Thumbs up to that comment. This seems to be the latest fad in amongst manufacturers now.
Octavia, Hyundai i-10 Grand (actually the i-10 "preview" in my opinion is the worst with everything covered up and no one allowed to take a peek! Laughable!), Datsun Go, Ashok Leyland Stile - all these recent vehicles being unveiled without any hint of their price points.

If manufacturers think that potential customers will hang on to their wallets just by seeing the "unveiling" , they had better revise their opinion. Announcing the price & features at the time of "unveiling" has much greater chances of building up customer confidence and a "booking queue" , rather than a song & dance show showing new metal with precious little information!
Old 10th August 2013, 01:03   #18
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

To me as an existing Laura L&K DSG AT 1.9PD Owner.

We knew this a long while yet. - The return to the straight lines of the Octavia Gen1 and the Laura Gen1 unlike the curvey looks of the current Laura is appreciate. Looks good overall. A bit Passatish.

1) Features and Interiors though improved seem so much the same as earlier only a 5% improvement really speaking. The features and interiors are so similar. Yes the 10cm increase in interior space will be appreciated though.

2) The Sunroof opening on the outside seems to be a cheaper and less classy solution compared to it opening on the inside as earlier. Maybe I am wrong in my perception but really don't know why they did it.

3) Exterior - Lovely - simply lovely. The front especially is neat, dual xenons are much appreciated. Be prepared to pay a neat package in case you knock one of those lights out with frontal hit. Do they also corner? The front is very classy.

4) Park Assist Button? Missing a Auto Park Brake Button - Driving will still require one to keep the leg pressed on the brake pedal at signals?

5) Rear boot number plate area like the Rapid is a downer.

6) Rear Tail lights are lovely - miss LED's though.

7) New Superb too needs to come in soon else the sales will be impacted. It too of course has been seen testing in India and we already know what it looks like.

8) The Biggest improvement is in the Engine side. But pricing it higher than the current Laura (though this is a better vehicle seems dangerous.) They need to phase out the top Laura models like the L&K & VRs immediately and let this take that pricing slot.

9) If priced higher than the current Laura where will the Jetta go. A VW priced lower than the equivalent Skoda Octavia. - Any price corrections?

10) Within the Family: Really don't see a reason for a current Laura, Jetta, customer to buy this as it will be more similar that not. A significant upgrade from the Rapid or Vento though. A preowned 1/2 year old Superb or a new Octavia?
ACM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th August 2013, 01:07   #19
Team-BHP Support

The new Octavia looks fantastic. Let's just hope they include the 1.4 TSI in the engine option's list. And let's hope they price it sensibly too. That might just get us to queue up for it sometime soon.

And for God's sake, give us a proper vRS variant this time, not some tarted-up version of the base petrol car.
Old 10th August 2013, 05:14   #20
Senior - BHPian

Two words Indians love, Octavia and Sonata. Glad that Skoda brought back the name, the car simply blew me away, its perfect for its target market, the higher middle class chauffeur driven people and the young and rich. This one has everything you would look for, its the Mercedes of the poor man!

Another fallout is that the Octavia coming in has pushed up the prices of Octavias in the resale market
Old 10th August 2013, 08:03   #21
BHPian

Re: 2013 Skoda Octavia unveiled in India; Team-BHP's launch report coming soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post

The 1.8 Liter TSI turbo petrol motor outputing 175 Bhp-250 Nm and the 2 liter TDI turbo diesel engine outputting 140 Bhp-320 Nm are the two engines that could be offered on the 2013 Octavia.

Guys, from end user point of view how should I read this... so the TSI will be quicker to get to say 100km mark and diesel will be slower to get there ( lower Bhp) but can pull more weight ? Can somebody please help me read characteristics of these sister cars from end user point of view.
Old 10th August 2013, 08:51   #22
Senior - BHPian

I see lots of nuances from the current Superb in this vehicle. Looks quite similar to the one I spied in Paris in February - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...ml#post3039894 except for some cost cutting exercise that I see.

- Beige interiors with black carpet is perfect for Indian conditions and mentality.
- Very less chrome and wood makes it look a little cheap but then that's how VAG is now positioning its Skoda range so as to not to eat into the VW models.
- I am disappointed with the Bolero Stereo. It's screen looks small for the space available. A 7" GPS enabled Columbus system like in European spec models would have been a welcome change.
- No USB is also not done in today's day and age but a SD card should suffice.
- Very Rapid-ish behind is not good for me. The outgoing Laura had more character. Also misses out on the LED rear lights like in the Euro spec car.
- Beautiful engines and gearboxes will be its biggest strength.
- Sunroof looks like a cheap alternative and cost cutting exercise but at least its there.
- Don't see no parking sensors at rear though I see them at front. Strange or is there a rear camera tucked in there somewhere?
- The power plug socket, a big highlight of the new Octavia, is missing below the rear AC vents.

Overall I see Skoda has got a winner in its hands if they play their cards right. If they price it 1~2L 'lower' than the outgoing Laura as per reports floating around, then surely it can cause a stir. But I doubt it could garner 1000+ monthly numbers for this car even with all efforts.

PS - Rated the thread 5 star parrys for the most detailed preview from Tbhp. Keep it up.

Last edited by dkaile : 10th August 2013 at 09:07.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2013, 09:02   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The new Octavia looks fantastic. Let's just hope they include the 1.4 TSI in the engine option's list. And let's hope they price it sensibly too. That might just get us to queue up for it sometime soon.

And for God's sake, give us a proper vRS variant this time, not some tarted-up version of the base petrol car.
Going by VAG strategy of pricing Laura below Jetta, need to see how they pan out the 1.4 TSI Jetta versus Laura/Octavia 1.8 TSI? And the biggest strength is DSG on both variants. Also the diesel gets a 6-speed DSG compared to the older 7-speed on previous version. Changes marked against the problematic gearbox? And also does the same 7-speed make its way to the petrol version? Some confusion there.

Last edited by ampere : 10th August 2013 at 09:04.
Old 10th August 2013, 09:22   #24
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the report and pictures Parrys!

Overall a good package! Love the new design language from Skoda. That said, a bit disappointed to see them still playing to the Indian obsession for beige interiors. IMO, the black interiors available in the international markets looks much better. Not a fan of faux wood as well, but atleast this one looks a bit better than the one in Laura Elegance and L&K.

Quote:
• The new Octavia will be available with 3 engine options; two petrol and one 2.0L diesel. The most powerful petrol engine will have a power output of 177 BHP (132 kW).
Did they elaborate on the third engine option outside the 180bhp 1.8 TSI and 150bhp 2.0 TDI? Assume it’s the 1.4 TSI, but is it going to be the 140bhp version, or the same state of tune as the Jetta TSI (122bhp)?

Last edited by vb-saan : 10th August 2013 at 09:23.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2013, 09:33   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It's all about the details with German cars.
Excellent report parrys. Very detailed considering it was just a preview and nothing extra was revealed by the company.

I disagree with the usage of the word 'German' though. Although it is based on the MQB platform and owned by Audi- but politically speaking, its still a Czech citizen.
Quote:
Nifty ticket holder on the windscreen.
God bless Skoda. I absolutely love this feature. No need to stick those annoying parking stickers/ apartment stickers/ office stickers etc on the glass! Brilliant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Why the difference in AT gear boxes ? (7 and 6 speed DSG) Does it mean the 7 speed supports less torque than the 6-Speed version?
The 7 speed DQ 200 uses dry clutch plates and has been rated for a maximum torque of 250 Nm.

6 speed on the other hand is rated upto 350 Nm if I remember correctly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kar.carthik View Post
Both engines will come mated to a 7-speed DSG automatic gearbox, but will not have the option of paddle shifters."

It says both the cars come with 7- Speed DGS???
Impossible.

And if it does- God bless the owners of the diesel. Even Polo owners expressed concerns initially over this box, although it produces only around 200 Nm. Forget Octavia diesel with 320!
Quote:
This seems to be like the new gimmick that companies have caught on.
Marketing!

This month, online and print media will publish details about the car. Same will be repeated when its actually launched. Many BHP ians have been waiting for the Octavia to decide their D-segment purchase. With a mock unveiling- common people who don't follow team bhp might come to know about the car and wait for it as well.
Quote:
2) The Sunroof opening on the outside seems to be a cheaper and less classy solution compared to it opening on the inside as earlier. Maybe I am wrong in my perception but really don't know why they did it.
Can you/ anyone please explain the difference with pics?
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyboy View Post
Guys, from end user point of view how should I read this... so the TSI will be quicker to get to say 100km mark and diesel will be slower to get there ( lower Bhp) but can pull more weight ? Can somebody please help me read characteristics of these sister cars from end user point of view.
Yes, diesel will pull around town with just light accelerator inputs. But when you really put your foot down, petrol will be faster.

PS: Posted using Android app. Please excuse any mistakes.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 10th August 2013 at 09:40.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2013, 09:53   #26
BHPian

Good report, Parry.

Been a Skoda customer since 2005 and have been looking forward to the all new Octavia after selling my Diesel Octy earlier this year. The car looks awesome.

Any clue or indication on the price bracket? Also, I thought the new 2.0 TDi Octavia was going to come in 150 BHP avataar, where are the articles state 141 BHP. Does anyone have any detailed clarity on it?

From my sources, the service guys go for their training starting mid-August. So, car should be up for sale a month or so down the line.

Cheers,
Ardy
Old 10th August 2013, 09:55   #27
BHPian

Car looks absolutely fantastic!

The interiors are really well done as well, although, I would prefer classy black rather than the all too common beige.

Hopefully it is priced well, and Skoda can bring its fortunes back up!
Old 10th August 2013, 10:27   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
8) The Biggest improvement is in the Engine side. But pricing it higher than the current Laura (though this is a better vehicle seems dangerous.) They need to phase out the top Laura models like the L&K & VRs immediately and let this take that pricing slot.

9) If priced higher than the current Laura where will the Jetta go. A VW priced lower than the equivalent Skoda Octavia. - Any price corrections?
If im not mistaken the pricing of the Octavia would start around the region (maybe slightly cheaper....'charm' pricing) of the current Laura 'Classic' which is the absolute basic version and would stretch right upto the L&K and even beyond for the top-end diesel. In short, it might overlap the current Laura's pricing.
Three trim levels with each of the engines and you already have 9 variants to choose from. The customer is the beneficiary here
IIRC Skoda have also already declared that the Laura would be sold alongside the Octavia for sometime atleast before finally being phased out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
This is a bit of a surprise! I guess this would be a segment first.
The Laura had the single xenon projector, while the Jetta which is considered a more premium offering doesn't even get that. Strange!
That is correct. The current Laura too had many segment firsts (including the single projector xenons) in its L&K guise and the Octavia would just push the boundaries. The Jetta skimps out on not just this but quite a few other features compared to the Laura & that is when you compare the top level Highline vs the LnK. Feature wise i think the Jetta highline is more comparable to the Elegance than the LnK. I really did not see how the Jetta was 'premium' compared to the Laura.
Old 10th August 2013, 10:53   #29
BHPian

Decent looks. Gleeful engine and gearbox choices and classy interiors. If priced on par with the jetta then its surely game set and match for the octavia!! Especially since VW's service is proving to be just as bad if not worse than skoda.

I still like the looks of the present laura more. I know ill be with the minority here.

This will certainly eat into the sales of the superb (unless they launch the facelifted version soon). NEARLY as much space and as many features without the limo like appearence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
- No USB is also not done in today's day and age but a SD card should suffice.
Below the acc theres a media in port. Thats for aux/usb/ipod which are sold as separate cables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
That is correct. The current Laura too had many segment firsts (including the single projector xenons) in its L&K guise and the Octavia would just push the boundaries. The Jetta skimps out on not just this but quite a few other features compared to the Laura & that is when you compare the top level Highline vs the LnK. Feature wise i think the Jetta highline is more comparable to the Elegance than the LnK. I really did not see how the Jetta was 'premium' compared to the Laura.
So true. I've been saying this all long. Jetta highline is a joke without the auto climate control, projectors, xenons and memory seats!!
Old 10th August 2013, 11:02   #30
BHPian

I think the price point of this car would just be a shade under the jetta and not the laura. I think the new Octavia is a much more premium offering than the laura. Given the previous positioning of Skoda wrt VW cars, I think it would be around 50-60k under the jetta variant to variant. Now that will be an absolute steal and might result in cannibalizing jetta's sales. But in the end net gain - VW.

Last edited by abhinavinc : 10th August 2013 at 11:06.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks