Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2013, 15:40   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
Skoda has used some strange tactics with the launch of the New Octavia. First a model launch in Mumbai on Aug 9th without disclosing any details on the price or the variant options. Anyone who was interested in this car had already seen umpteen pics of the Euro Version.

Now in the last two days, I got calls from the Mahavir Skoda in Hyderabad that they have started bookings for the New Octavia, though no details of price or variant options are available. Imagine now everyone expects the car to be launched in the 16-18 Lac bracket. Now what if I book and realize that the launch price is 22 Lacs. Also they dont even know if both the petrol and diesel versions are being launched simultaneously or is it just the diesel.

Anyway, the sales advisor has told me that they are having a training in B'lore on Sep9th after which he will be able to provide me with all the details with regard to price and variants. He also promises a November month delivery for bookings made now.
Fahrenheit Skoda too informed me the same.
For a booking which is made now, the car will be delivered in november.
They too are silent on the variants, but are physically showing the car to the person before the booking.
The one i saw was a diesel (as per the service advisor) & i suppose was a high end model with a sunroof, projector headlamps, automatic transmission & beige interiors.

Last edited by satyamkaushik : 5th September 2013 at 15:44.
Old 5th September 2013, 16:25   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny
Skoda has used some strange tactics with the launch of the New Octavia. First a model launch in Mumbai on Aug 9th without disclosing any details on the price or the variant options. Anyone who was interested in this car had already seen umpteen pics of the Euro Version.

Now in the last two days, I got calls from the Mahavir Skoda in Hyderabad that they have started bookings for the New Octavia, though no details of price or variant options are available. Imagine now everyone expects the car to be launched in the 16-18 Lac bracket. Now what if I book and realize that the launch price is 22 Lacs. Also they dont even know if both the petrol and diesel versions are being launched simultaneously or is it just the diesel.

Anyway, the sales advisor has told me that they are having a training in B'lore on Sep9th after which he will be able to provide me with all the details with regard to price and variants. He also promises a November month delivery for bookings made now.
Same situation here in bangalore , probably Skoda is trying to cash in the "Octavia" brand as much as possible before the launch happens . Skoda seems to have adopted a marketing strategy similar to that of Ford , skoda is doing a campaign which is very much similar to that of Ecosports - Discover ur city !.
Old 5th September 2013, 22:39   #168
BHPian

Re: Pics & Report: 2013 Skoda Octavia unveiled @ Mumbai

Note from Support : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this. Thanks!

Guys

Get ready......

Something is going to be there on 18th Sept in the Taj West End Bangalore.

No Idea what it is.......but something about new octavaia..... Some vehicles are already there in the Hosur road Skoda. Bookings have started, as per the dealer the price will not be more than 25 lacs on the OTR.....booking price is around somewhere 1lac and fully refundable.

Enjoy
Deepak

Last edited by aah78 : 6th September 2013 at 06:27. Reason: See note.
Old 5th September 2013, 22:51   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeepakk View Post
Bookings have started, as per the dealer the price will not be more than 25 lacs on the OTR.....booking price is around somewhere 1lac and fully refundable.
More than 25L OTR? That's unacceptable price for an Octavia! Octavia is doomed at that price.
Old 5th September 2013, 22:54   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
More than 25L OTR? That's unacceptable price for an Octavia! Octavia is doomed at that price.

The Top end model is around 24-25lac on road, so the base might start some where around 20.
kdeepakk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 08:34   #171
BHPian

The current generation Laura is priced at 24lk fot the top end L&K model . So it would be interesting to find out where the Octavia will sit , considering that Skoda is planning to place the car a notch above the Laura .
Old 6th September 2013, 18:03   #172
Senior - BHPian

ACI have uploaded the Test drive report of the car on their website, & here is the link to the same:

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...ve-356050.aspx

Only fly in ointment:
Quote:
There are noticeable differences between the dynamic behavior of the 2.0 TDI and 1.8 TSI Skoda Octavias, mainly because of the different rear suspensions. The diesel’s setup is slightly less pliant than the Jetta’s multi-link rear suspension and, at lower speeds, the torsion beam setup has this mildly annoying drumming sound from the suspension over lumpy surfaces, which gets amplified by the large boot cavity. It’s a sound that makes you think the ride is bumpier than it actually is. Drive the petrol’s more sophisticated setup over the same bit of road and you’ll find it rides quieter and softer, and in fact sets the benchmark for ride quality in this segment. However, it’s the diesel that feels more rock solid on the highway.
CARDEEP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 18:13   #173
BHPian

Just one word Top Car! But can anyone help me understand will this vehicle be positioned parallel to the Laura or will it be branded more premium?
Old 6th September 2013, 18:38   #174
BHPian

I have been invited to attend the launch of this model on the 20th of this month. Will update with pictures and data.
xtremeshock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 21:22   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeepakk View Post

Something is going to be there on 18th Sept in the Taj West End Bangalore.
Enjoy
Deepak
Hyderabad is also having a launch party. I got a telephone invite asking for my address. They tell me that the personalized invite will be sent home.

On the downside, all this personalization worries me. Are Skoda looking to place this as a premium offering in line with the Superb.
Old 6th September 2013, 22:34   #176
BHPian

Skoda has launched the media drive for the Octavia . Official Team Bhp review should not be far away !!!
Old 7th September 2013, 10:08   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

As per Autocar's report, there's no manual tranny on offer with the 1.8 TSI, which I am sure will be a huge disappointment for many. Though the DSG is quick and intuitive and all, the connection between man and machine that you get with a manual transmission is something else, esp with an engine like the 1.8 TSi. It is just so eager to rev and seeing that RPM needle doing its dance is sheer thrill. The 6 speed MT on the Laura 1.8 TSI is one sweet gear box. Sad to see it go really. Hope Skoda will relook at this decision of theirs.

Strategically too I think its a dumb move on Skoda's part. Most buyers looking for AT will be happy with the Diesel DSG, which is no slouch either. Only the enthusiast will be interested in the TSI, most of who will prefer the MT.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 7th September 2013 at 10:11.
Old 7th September 2013, 11:30   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post

Strategically too I think its a dumb move on Skoda's part. Most buyers looking for AT will be happy with the Diesel DSG, which is no slouch either. Only the enthusiast will be interested in the TSI, most of who will prefer the MT.
Maybe they will launch the VRS with a manual tranny, sportier dampers, bigger alloys and other cosmetic changes with the same 1.8Tsi, few months down the line. I am sure the 2L TFSi VRS won't be coming to India any time soon.
Old 7th September 2013, 12:02   #179
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
As per Autocar's report, there's no manual tranny on offer with the 1.8 TSI, which I am sure will be a huge disappointment for many.

I agree, they should have provided the option to the customer to choose between MT and AT. Maybe they wanted test the reception for the petrol variant by launching just one variant. I remember when the Laura vRS was launched in India, every review (including our official review) commented negatively on Skoda not providing the DSG option. Probably they took that feedback very seriously

But I am happy that with the new Octavia, Skoda decided to bring the petrol variant with all bells and whistles (unlike the Laura where the 1.8TSI was made available only in the base variant).
Old 7th September 2013, 12:34   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Maybe they will launch the VRS with a manual tranny, sportier dampers, bigger alloys and other cosmetic changes with the same 1.8Tsi, few months down the line. I am sure the 2L TFSi VRS won't be coming to India any time soon.
I also doubt whether the 2L VRS will make it here anytime soon. It'll be too much of a hassle to get it homologated for India for what will be very small numbers. But the 1.8 TSI with that DQ200 box, will seriously limit the mod potential of the car, which is sad really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I remember when the Laura vRS was launched in India, every review (including our official review) commented negatively on Skoda not providing the DSG option. Probably they took that feedback very seriously

But I am happy that with the new Octavia, Skoda decided to bring the petrol variant with all bells and whistles (unlike the Laura where the 1.8TSI was made available only in the base variant).
Its hard for manufacturers isn't it? Whatever they do there is criticism . But as you said they can please everyone by giving the option to the customer. But then again they need numbers for all this. Where are the numbers for the petrol model? We are looking at hardly 100 cars max. I am sure they will bring in the 1.4 TSI at a later stage with MT only option, price it aggressively and lure the C+ segment buyers.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 7th September 2013 at 12:37.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks