Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2013, 11:19   #31
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pics & Report: 2013 Skoda Octavia unveiled @ Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
If im not mistaken the pricing of the Octavia would start around the region (maybe slightly cheaper....'charm' pricing) of the current Laura 'Classic' which is the absolute basic version and would stretch right upto the L&K and even beyond for the top-end diesel. In short, it might overlap the current Laura's pricing.
Three trim levels with each of the engines and you already have 9 variants to choose from. The customer is the beneficiary here
IIRC Skoda have also already declared that the Laura would be sold alongside the Octavia for sometime atleast before finally being phased out.
The Reports (including out here) suggest that Initially the Octavia would come in the top trim (above the Laura) like in the case of the Laura which too had launched with only the top L&K model only being available for a while. The projection is that the lower price variant would come in later (going onto undercut the Laura too and in time cause it's discontinuation) The concern is that the better priced Octavia variant if they do not come in early will lead to it becoming a premium D segment vehicle (Laura/Jetta ++)and will not be able to take on the Corolla, Civic, Cruz etc. Continuing with the Laura has this disadvantage. Good for Brand Image but not for Sales maybe. Instead they could simply replace the Laura with a complete range of the Octavia models. (Which I believe is the better Idea.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Can you/ anyone please explain the difference with pics?

Yes, diesel will pull around town with just light accelerator inputs. But when you really put your foot down, petrol will be faster.
The Diesel could end up being faster if one compares a DSG Diesel variant with a non DSG Petrol Variant. Though a DSG Petrol to DSG Diesel comparo would be in favour of the Petrol.

That said on a side note Audi has invested a lot in focusing on diesel technology for making the R8 and other top end Sports vehicles in their range go faster. - Not that this has anything specific to do with a Skoda Diesel being faster or slower than the petrol.

Have attached a snap of the Earlier Laura Sunroof (and the new Octavia sunroof is shown in the thread intro posts.). The snap has the Sunroof closed. Basically in the current Laura the sunroof slides under the roof top and the glass goes into the inside roof lining and is just not visible from either the inside or outside when open, while in the new octavia the glass would be visible from the outside - adding too wind resistance and noise if the vehicle is driven this way, but making for more head room on the inside of the vehicle if the same exterior height is maintained. The solutions like the one on the newer Octavia are the cheaper ones in the Webaso range and so I presume not the best.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics & Report: 2013 Skoda Octavia unveiled @ Mumbai-20130710_104831.jpg  

Old 10th August 2013, 11:30   #32
BHPian

Lovely car. Hope they get their sales and after sales teams in order for this car. With all those features its price point surely won't be similar to the previous generation Octavia.
Old 10th August 2013, 11:35   #33
BHPian

I am completely diappointed with this new Octavia as they have removed the fun factor for me- Organ type Accelerator pedal. Why Skoda...why??
Old 10th August 2013, 12:02   #34
Senior - BHPian

I'm a little confused here.

I read the 2013 Octavia will sell alongside Laura for a short time and then make way for the lower variants of the Octavia. So is this a replacement to the current gen Laura, the re-birth of the old Octavia in a new avatar or will this be a higher priced Laura with more features et al?

To help understand better, isn't Octavia and Laura synonymous with the City and Accord brands from Honda? So with the introduction of the 2013 Octavia, does the Octavia still correspond to the City and the Laura the Accord? Or is it the other way round?

Can someone please explain.
Old 10th August 2013, 12:07   #35
BHPian

Thanks for the fantastic launch update!

Now as a prospective buyer (have been waiting for this launch before making a buying decision) i have the following observations:

1. This unveiling does not help me, I've seen the car and read the reviews Skoda, now give me the price and launch date please.

2. Even if this product matches the price of a Jetta, it still makes a better buy, the kit and luxury feel (completely missing from the Jetta) are huge pluses for me.

3. The 16 inch wheels look puny, at least give an option for a bigger footprint, at least on the TSI, same for LEDs in the tail lights

4. The Superb is available for a discount of 2.50 lakhs right now, its brings the manual petrol elegance very close to 20L in Mumbai, and adds to the confusion

Cheers, slicks

Last edited by slicks : 10th August 2013 at 12:08.
Old 10th August 2013, 12:08   #36
Senior - BHPian

Great going SKODA. With the new leadership team in place, guess SKODA will soon change the market perception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren959 View Post
I am completely diappointed with this new Octavia as they have removed the fun factor for me- Organ type Accelerator pedal. Why Skoda...why??
Disappointed with such a brilliant car just because of a pedal?
Old 10th August 2013, 12:15   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
I'm a little confused here.

I read the 2013 Octavia will sell alongside Laura for a short time and then make way for the lower variants of the Octavia. So is this a replacement to the current gen Laura, the re-birth of the old Octavia in a new avatar or will this be a higher priced Laura with more features et al?

To help understand better, isn't Octavia and Laura synonymous with the City and Accord brands from Honda? So with the introduction of the 2013 Octavia, does the Octavia still correspond to the City and the Laura the Accord? Or is it the other way round?

The Laura that's currently sold here is nothing but the previous generation Octavia. If you go to some countries in Europe, you might spot the Laura with Octavia badges because, in essence, it is the Octavia.

However, when the time came to replace the old gen Octavia in India, VAG realised that they could continue to milk the old Octavia while introducing the new Octavia at a higher price point. This plan wouldn't have worked if the next gen Octavia had retained its original name, and hence the car was given a new name (Laura) for our market.

EDIT: The Laura / Octavia aren't synonymous with the City / Accord as the Laura / Octavia are essentially the same cars belonging to different generations whereas the City / Accord are different cars belonging to different segments.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 10th August 2013 at 12:20.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2013, 12:20   #38
Team-BHP Support

All you guys complaining about the sunroof opening outside, and onto to the roof - This is the so called panoramic sunroof, which is larger than the normal sunroof. While this is not extra large or anything, it seems much larger than the normal excuse of a sunroof VAG offers on its cars. As with any panoramic sunroof, the glass slides on top of the roof, and not inside. In other cars like the Teana, C class, E class, S class, Q7 (basically any car which has a pano roof) there is a second glass panel over the rear seat, and the front glass panel is the only one which opens. And that slides on to the roof. In this case the glass was probably too big to fit inside the headliner, so they had to go the conventional panoramic sunroof way.

Anyway to the car now, I think it looks great from everywhere but the rear 3 quarters where I prefer the current one much more. Everything seems to be so detailed, and the build quality looks good too. Of course I will wait for the final variants and price before forming my opinion. The diesel L&K may make a good replacement for my Accord.

Now seeing that the TSI makes 180bhp I think its high time I remap my vRS to 200bhp, so that it doesn't become a poser in front of the Normal Octy TSI
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2013, 12:29   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Great going SKODA. With the new leadership team in place, guess SKODA will soon change the market perception.

Yes absolutely, as this is my "Unconventional" Automotive Preference. You can see mine.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...erences-2.html
I dont say that it is not a great car, It is indeed but if they have continued this part from the old one it will be a superior fun to drive it.

Last edited by hiren959 : 10th August 2013 at 12:31.
Old 10th August 2013, 12:55   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
All you guys complaining about the sunroof opening outside, and onto to the roof - This is the so called panoramic sunroof, which is larger than the normal sunroof. While this is not extra large or anything, it seems much larger than the normal excuse of a sunroof VAG offers on its cars. As with any panoramic sunroof, the glass slides on top of the roof, and not inside. In other cars like the Teana, C class, E class, S class, Q7 (basically any car which has a pano roof) there is a second glass panel over the rear seat, and the front glass panel is the only one which opens. And that slides on to the roof. In this case the glass was probably too big to fit inside the headliner, so they had to go the conventional panoramic sunroof way.
Exactly what i have been comparing from the pictures. If you see the pic posted of the open sun roof from outside it looks much bigger in width however when you compare it with the pic from the inside it looks the same size as the normal sun roof on any other car from VAG. Correct me if i am wrong.

VVB
Old 10th August 2013, 12:59   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
Exactly what i have been comparing from the pictures. If you see the pic posted of the open sun roof from outside it looks much bigger in width however when you compare it with the pic from the inside it looks the same size as the normal sun roof on any other car from VAG. Correct me if i am wrong.

VVB
Its certainly much larger from the inside too, than a normal sunroof. This car is wider than the Laura which is why maybe it looks as small to you. But look how it extends behind the drivers seats, its pretty long.
Old 10th August 2013, 13:02   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Have attached a snap of the Earlier Laura Sunroof (and the new Octavia sunroof is shown in the thread intro posts.). The snap has the Sunroof closed. Basically in the current Laura the sunroof slides under the roof top and the glass goes into the inside roof lining and is just not visible from either the inside or outside when open, while in the new octavia the glass would be visible from the outside - adding too wind resistance and noise if the vehicle is driven this way, but making for more head room on the inside of the vehicle if the same exterior height is maintained. The solutions like the one on the newer Octavia are the cheaper ones in the Webaso range and so I presume not the best.
Thanks. Understood the difference. I'm wondering how it will hold the glass at speeds above 100?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren959 View Post
Organ type Accelerator pedal. Why Skoda...why??
The what? Never heard of this feature. Please explain.

Edit: Googled and got. Thanks. Never knew it had this name! Anyways, very ergo friendly indeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post

Laura was nothing but a renamed Octavia MK2 for India, since the Octavia (MK1) was still selling well. With the MK3 now, they are bringing back the Octavia brand- since Laura is selling in decent numbers too.

Ideally, Laura should be replaced by the new Octavia. But India being India, cheaper versions of the Laura will still be on sale.

Also- Skoda has Rapid now, to take on the upper C segment.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 10th August 2013 at 13:10.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2013, 13:04   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
When you drive for more than an hour it does make a huge difference, unless you have extra large foot. That's why almost all buses come with organ type pedal. I don't understand why carmakers shun from providing such an important accessory for their flagship products, but provide electric mirrors and such.
Daewood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2013, 13:11   #44
BHPian

It looks under tyred, even the suspension is raised for India, maybe because the suspension is raised it looks under tyred. My hunch is it will be priced more than the Jetta and very close to the Superb. It can sell well only if they discontinue the Laura and price it at the same level (IMHO Laura is already very over priced). In any case the new Jetta (based on MQB platform) is be here by 2014 so the pricing will be stabilized by then, but before that just to charge a premium for new tech if they price it above the Jetta, Laura not withstanding (as it is not selling - period), the new Octavia will not sell. So Skoda forget about charging premium first get your act together - get those volumes in this segment and put some hard work on your A S support.
Old 10th August 2013, 13:27   #45
Senior - BHPian

Nothing spectacular IMO. Looks like yesterday once more in a more refined package.The exteriors have no real defining feature that would set it apart from the hoards of old school Skoda/VW/Audi. The interiors too i am sure have a quality touch to them but then again they too plain jane .
Having said all this , I am sure it will sell well in India if priced correctly. We mostly buy anything with a diesel engine and buckets load of average .
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks