Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2006, 18:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Understand your frustration, but why would you want to do that?
Because the TITLE on this thread refers to the vehicle I've always wanted. Expected the new engine on the new platform since they brought out the 3 litre Dicor, not so soon. If I'd know they were going to do this, I wouldnt have been the first Dicor customer in my state.

If you remember, this 2.2 litre 135 bhp engine was the one talked about by Overdrive last February. What came out instead was the 3 litre 115ps Dicor.

Adding salt to the wound was the fact that the relaunched Dicor (lower prices) also features better steering, brakes and clutch components. Makes you look like a jackass...pay more and get less?

Minimise losses, get out, and wait for Hyundai to launch something with a better engine. Till then I'll drive a small car when I'm in India.
Old 19th June 2006, 18:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hmm. Interesting point you have made. If Tatas are now selling the Dicor with better steering, breaks and clutch components at about 1 lakh less than what they were selling some time back, it just about shows how much profit they made so far on this vehicle. Even if they have the new engine and price it a lakh more than the present Dicor's price, you will now have a vehicle which is a lot better at the price which you paid earlier for the present vehicle.
Old 19th June 2006, 18:43   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon
it just about shows how much profit they made so far on this vehicle.
I would seriously doubt that. All those Subros a/c components replaced at no cost + upgraded miscellaneous components replaced proactively alone would've wiped out any profits they MAY have made. The vehicle itself wasnt meant to sell in large numbers so I doubt if they made any big money out of it.

I hear they have a Korean a/c in place of Subros now (unconfirmed) and various chinese components. That still doesnt explain the 1.35 lakh price-drop, though. Unless they're trying to buy marketshare (whatever for, I wonder - the plant can supposedly turn out only about 15 Safaris a day).

Last edited by Steeroid : 19th June 2006 at 18:45.
Old 19th June 2006, 18:43   #19
Senior - BHPian

Steeroid, I feel so bad for ya.

Its really unfair, the way Tata laucnhes a car, and renders it immedeatley old and obsolete by constantly making improvements and bringing down prices. That way, no one who buys a Tata product will ever be satisfied for more than a month or two. (not to mention the quality niggles)
Old 19th June 2006, 19:04   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
That still doesnt explain the 1.35 lakh price-drop, though. Unless they're trying to buy marketshare (whatever for, I wonder - the plant can supposedly turn out only about 15 Safaris a day).
Or is it that they want to sell all the three versions (90bhp, 115 bhp and the new engine)? If they price the to-be-introduced Safari too much, then they will not have a good market share. The only way out for Tatas would be to reduce the price of the present Safari and the older one to accomodate for the new one.
Old 19th June 2006, 19:08   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only way out for Tatas would be to reduce the price of the present Safari and the older one to accomodate for the new one.
Yeah Yeah - you do that a few years into a model. It hasnt even been ONE year since the Dicor was introduced (Launched August 2nd LAST year), and suddenly it looks like I'll be driving a brand new outdated model.
Old 19th June 2006, 19:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah Yeah - you do that a few years into a model. It hasnt even been ONE year since the Dicor was introduced (Launched August 2nd LAST year), and suddenly it looks like I'll be driving a brand new outdated model.
Well, now is the time I ask this question. Are the manufacturers jumping in too early with their models? You see that with Mahindra and Tata. Can they not finetune a model to a certain logical point where it can be in the market for a few years without any further major development to it? This way, they can use the intervening period to develop the model further until the next logical point. Yes, things changing rapidly in 1 year is not a great sign for people who own that model.

In my opinion, a model which is distinctly better than its predicisor is better than a few continuously changing models during that same time period.
Old 19th June 2006, 19:54   #23
Senior - BHPian

I heard about this 2.2L crdi before even the 3.0 litre 407 (DICOR-ed)engine was launched.

To be honest, the current 3.0 ltr Dicor engine is not bad at all except for the 3000 rpm redline and engine clatter.
Old 19th June 2006, 20:05   #24
SUV
BHPian

Quote:
Well, now is the time I ask this question. Are the manufacturers jumping in too early with their models? You see that with Mahindra and Tata. Can they not finetune a model to a certain logical point where it can be in the market for a few years without any further major development to it? This way, they can use the intervening period to develop the model further until the next logical point. Yes, things changing rapidly in 1 year is not a great sign for people who own that model.

In my opinion, a model which is distinctly better than its predicisor is better than a few continuously changing models during that same time period.
with you .. .. A product needs to be in series production atelast for 3-4 year's before a Model Change Happen's .. Here TATA seems to be Running @ Light Speed .

1998 - Safari TCIC Launched
2005 DICOR 3 ltr Launch
2006 / 07 - DICOR 2.2 ltr Launch
2008 / 09 - X2 Platform Launch (At this point i doubt the DICOR will be in production even)

TATA's Goofed Up with the 3 ltr engine, Warranty Costs are Prolly SkyRocketing.... The 3 ltr Engine was designed for Load Carrying Application's and in that segment it doesnt call for Higher Refinement, Its Durability that counts ... Moreover Since the DriveTrain Agregates were not changed it prolly is causing more problem's rather than solving the earlier one's ... (prolly the reason why its limited to 115 BHP) ... And Now TATA's seem to be in the Cost Cutting Phase using Chinese / Taiwanese Component's which are not know for Durability .... (Steer i think you would be safe in this aspect) ...

Correct Me if i am Wrong here ---- Its easier to Build a New Engine for use in a SUV (read use in a new application) rather than Refine a Engine which is not built for the Application.
Old 19th June 2006, 20:16   #25
BANNED

Going by Tata's reputation, I'm guessing this new 2.2 litre will also have lots and lots of niggles, and by the time they sort it out, it will be time for the next update. And then the cycle will start all over again with the X2.
Old 19th June 2006, 20:19   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hey, it is still speculative discussion. Is it confirmed that this 140bhp model is going to be launched at the end of 06?
Old 19th June 2006, 20:27   #27
BHPian

Hey Steeroid, I really feel for you and sympathaizes with you but on the other note, you have really enjoyed your Dicor and always wanted more. What in your opinion, this 2.2 140+ bhp engine can do to Safari. Safari always had the great ride and comfort, how safari will stand aginst its competion after this engine upgrade?
Old 19th June 2006, 21:52   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV
... And Now TATA's seem to be in the Cost Cutting Phase using Chinese / Taiwanese Component's which are not know for Durability .... (Steer i think you would be safe in this aspect) ...
HA! THAT I seriously doubt, considering the dubious quality of India-made components. I am patriotic, but I'm not blind - the quality of our component manufacturers SUCK big time. Else Tata's QC for outsource components sucks big time.

Trust me you'd be better off with Chinese or Taiwanese components under your hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV
To be honest, the current 3.0 ltr Dicor engine is not bad at all except for the 3000 rpm redline and engine clatter.
The clatter YOU heard, nitrous, was courtesy K&N. Its almost silent in comparison after the K&N was removed.
Old 19th June 2006, 21:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Am I allowed to cry on the forum?
By all means my friend. By all means. LOL
Old 19th June 2006, 22:00   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV
with you .. .. A product needs to be in series production atelast for 3-4 year's before a Model Change Happen's .. Here TATA seems to be Running @ Light Speed .
Not necessarily. Over here in the US, the cycle time is like a year.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks