Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2013, 10:24   #31

Re: The Mahindra Quanto's poor sales. What's the way forward?

As an quanto owner i would suggest to reduce the height and weight of vehicle so that the ride quality will improve further. But not sure if its possible to do if they want to share the existing xylo platform.
Some people complaint about the style factor , for them giving some slope to back design may help but it will compromise the 3rd row which is the most important buying factor for many(including me )
sapan.turkar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 11:04   #32
Senior - BHPian

Hope its a nice wake-up call to M&M, maybe they were getting a bit too complacent IMO. Let alone Innova, even Qualis or Sumo Grande are way better looking that Xylo/Quanto. In my view - Xylo is ugly and Quanto is ridiculous!

Duster then, and now Ecosport have changed the rules. With Maruti and Hyundai also entering this space, M&M must take their product refreshes lot more seriously, else its not too far that only Bolero would be making serious numbers for them.
Old 6th November 2013, 11:14   #33
Senior - BHPian

Poor ugly duckling. It is genetically disadvantaged and can never become a beautiful swan.

The Mahindra Quanto's poor sales. What's the way forward?-image2056518183.jpg
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 11:25   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobalan View Post
But i was shocked to see the response of many auto mags, projecting the plus es rather than minus..
Why so shocked? Thats what reviews are for - to talk up the marketing plug.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 13:12   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Around a year ago a taxi driver I was using in Bombay told me the following, during a conversation about Innova, Scorpio, Xylo, XUV etc.

The Mahindra vehicles however, all have a nasty habit of rocking and swaying you from side to side, as a passenger. This leads to motion sickness, extreme discomfort on long journeys on bad roads or hill roads, constant, nagging neck and back aches and a general sense of ill-being.

I had the opportunity to get under the skin of a really modern SUV on a trip to England in 2011, a Subaru Forester. After having experienced the comfort and pleasure of a monocoque chassis, first class suspension and all the other bells and whistles, I was actually finding it extremely difficult to contemplate getting back into my Scorpio and driving it up and down on a daily basis, once I returned to India.

My Doctor actually advised me in 2011 to get rid of my Scorpio, because of constant, nagging, neck ache, back ache and apparently was even tending towards possible Spondylitis. He said the rocking motion of my Scorpio on the lousy Bangalore roads was actually aggravating my condition!

However, having no other go and no other vehicle, I was forced to 'grin and bear it' until I made a decision on what car to upgrade to and had made the financial plan for the same! By the time I got rid of it in December and took delivery of my brand new Yeti, I was suffering from an extreme case of user fatigue and user disgust, with that Scorpio I can tell you. It was really such a sheer relief to see the back of that vehicle on account of the various aches and pains that I had come to associate with it!

I sold my Scorpio to a friend and now, two years down the line, he is constantly cribbing about the rocking, swaying motion that he has to undergo every day when he takes that vehicle into his rutted Estate roads. He plans to dump it quite soon.
With due respect to my friend, I must say that "bodyroll" is felt more by some people than others! it is completely subjective, This is a scientifically proven fact. Now people who "feel" bodyroll a lot, people with motion sickness should never drive an SUV. They are better off riding a sedan like a city for example. It is interesting to know that India's PM candidate (someone who travels a lot by road) uses the Scrop and also swears by its benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
I honestly cannot understand how the Indian mentality works per say. I think we as a public have herd mentality. We do not know what is good for us, and we will buy stuff (especially cars) which is popular. This is my observation only, and I cannot prove it.
Well said, It is true simple car, Just look at the recent Maruti Dezire advertisement, First opinion, second opinion, it takes advantage of this mindset

Last edited by bblost : 6th November 2013 at 13:52. Reason: back 2 back. please use multi quote when replying to posts.
vipinendran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 13:38   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinendran View Post
India's PM candidate (someone who travels a lot by road) uses the Scrop and also swears by its benefits.
Hi!

Would like to read or see as to where is there a mention of Mr. Modi (I suppose) swearing by Scorpio.

Thanks
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 13:59   #37
Senior - BHPian

It is not about the Bolero Vs Quanto. It is about the engine - Bolero being its oldest design in M & M 's current line up and the Quanto the latest - and the potential it has to be used in different segments.

Why should we think it was Mr. Modi - it could be any other regional satrap.

Last edited by simplyself : 6th November 2013 at 14:11.
Old 6th November 2013, 14:16   #38
BHPian

This is a very interesting thread indeed.

Lots of excellent insights ... A couple of my thoughts to add to the thread.

1. If M&M were to float an automatic variant in the current diesel guise of the quanto and still manage to keep the cost down, but, here's the catch - hold on to the 'unconventional' looks ... would people line up to buy it? If I was still in the market for an automatic I might have seriously given it a good thought!

2. Quanto seems to be targeted at the folks whose 'need' boxes are ticked. For example, seat 5+ passengers, cost below 9 Lakh rupees, have a higher road stance (SUV/MUV like), low ownership cost, etc ... Ride and handling, product marque, image seem to be in the 'good to have' list for a typical quanto buyer. Unfortunately, quanto seems to be in a band where the 'good to have' folks spend their money - the USP is hence gone!
goingelectric is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 14:30   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Hi!

Would like to read or see as to where is there a mention of Mr. Modi (I suppose) swearing by Scorpio.

Thanks
Ha ha, so you want an official confirmation Sheel it was an information passed on through a friend of mine,But anyway Here are a few links : http://hindi.drivespark.com/off-beat...ar-002644.html, http://gujarati.oneindia.in/features...ar-006624.html
vipinendran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 15:58   #40
BHPian

Quote:
With due respect to my friend, I must say that "bodyroll" is felt more by some people than others! it is completely subjective, This is a scientifically proven fact. Now people who "feel" bodyroll a lot, people with motion sickness should never drive an SUV. They are better off riding a sedan like a city for example. It is interesting to know that India's PM candidate (someone who travels a lot by road) uses the Scrop and also swears by its benefits.
I believe even sea sickness is a psychological feel and can be termed subjective. I am not saying Quanto is bad but the body roll is felt by majority of people and one cannot deny that just by saying it's a psychological feel or subjective. And it's reflecting in the sales figures.

Some areas I would try to improve Quanto are listed below (Personal opinion only):

Looks (Needs a facelift that could attract the current market): Looks are subjective yet there has to be some consideration since most of the crowd feels it isn't a great looking car. Personally I feel it's looks ok.

Attract tier 1 cities: Need to market this car for tier 1 cities and hence again need to improve on looks and interiors and thrown some fancy gizmos in the car with some higher versions and provide a premium feel.

Go on a diet: The car needs to shed some weight and improve on handling as well. Remove the last row of seats as they are completely useless.

Market the plus points: Try to show that the boot space is huge and can fit a lot of things. Market the abuse friendly nature of this car. The practicality and the value for money needs to reach the customers.

It need not be as good as a sedan but it can be a better compact suv.
Kratos453 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 16:28   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have been a Jeep user for more years than I care to mention here now in this post. I am fully aware of body roll and the capacity to bear it or otherwise.

Im seeking to say that the Scorpio and Bolero, Xylo and Quanto etc have a suspension set up which causes the vehicle to sway from side to side, compared with other SUV's/ MUV's including the Innova and Safari, whose suspension and springing is significantly better in terms of driver and passenger comfort.

Also, for your info, lest you think that I am intentionally "bashing" the M&M vehicles, let me tell you that my family and I have had some sort of Mahindra vehicle working at our home for roughly the last 30 years. The side to side swaying motion is not a new sensation for us.

Having said that, however used to it one may be, it does not stand to reason that one must "like" it!
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 21:20   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ha ha, so you want an official confirmation Sheel it was an information passed on through a friend of mine,But anyway Here are a few links : http://hindi.drivespark.com/off-beat...ar-002644.html, http://gujarati.oneindia.in/features...ar-006624.html
I am sorry, but what is to laugh about it?

BTW, the link posted is in Gujrati which I had a hard time translating in English, no where states that Mr. Narendra Modi speaks anything about Scorpio (benefits or otherwise). Nor is there a word on Scorpio by his staff.

Hence I questioned as to where did you read him swearing by Scorpio & its benefits. Please do mention.

Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 22:07   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I have been a Jeep user for more years than I care to mention here now in this post. I am fully aware of body roll and the capacity to bear it or otherwise.

Im seeking to say that the Scorpio and Bolero, Xylo and Quanto etc have a suspension set up which causes the vehicle to sway from side to side, compared with other SUV's/ MUV's including the Innova and Safari, whose suspension and springing is significantly better in terms of driver and passenger comfort.

Also, for your info, lest you think that I am intentionally "bashing" the M&M vehicles, let me tell you that my family and I have had some sort of Mahindra vehicle working at our home for roughly the last 30 years. The side to side swaying motion is not a new sensation for us.

Having said that, however used to it one may be, it does not stand to reason that one must "like" it!
Well, I do not want to be judgmental here, but I have failed to understand how much this is statistically significant, when the sample size is just your scorp. May be you are using a scorp for the last 30 years, but how this can be a generalized fact? Your scorp can be a lemon. Right?
Also one more question (though I am not expecting an answer):
According to GTO's monthly sales thread ( over the last 6 months data), it shows that Scorp are still selling in decent numbers. Do you think all those guys who are purchasing are ignorant? Can't be all of them..right...

Last edited by mohandas : 6th November 2013 at 22:14. Reason: adding more meat
mohandas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 22:21   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I am sorry, but what is to laugh about it?

BTW, the link posted is in Gujrati which I had a hard time translating in English, no where states that Mr. Narendra Modi speaks anything about Scorpio (benefits or otherwise). Nor is there a word on Scorpio by his staff.

Hence I questioned as to where did you read him swearing by Scorpio & its benefits. Please do mention.

Thanks
Try google chrome - it (translation) works. It indeed talks about NaMo's scorp.
mohandas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 22:52   #45
BHPian

Quanto's and xylos handling is a nightmare. It bounces and rolls like a roller coaster. We had to replace 4 brand new xylo and 2 Quantos with old innovas. Our employees were throwing up consistently with these monsters.
M and M simply put a unengineered product in the market, hoping to make quick bucks.
I'm glad both models failed miserably.
harishpr is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks