Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2013, 15:20   #46
BHPian

Re: November 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

These numbers are correct in terms of mfg context but misleading in terms of domestic sales perspective. Nissan Micra are exported worldwide from TN assembly plant and VW's polos are only consumed locally. Hence, these numbers do not reflect what you experience in your daily real life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
The market share of Volkswagon is 2.14% and that of Nissan's is 2.12%, which is pretty close. I was thinking VW should have a considerable lead over Nissan. I see so many polos and ventos on the road but I hardly get to see a micra or the terrano/evalia.
mohandas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 15:21   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The market share of Volkswagon is 2.14% and that of Nissan's is 2.12%, which is pretty close. I was thinking VW should have a considerable lead over Nissan. I see so many polos and ventos on the road but I hardly get to see a micra or the terrano/evalia.
Situation in metros vs other towns could be different. Nissan sales might be much more distributed across the country when compared to VW who does decently in tier 1 cities.

In tier 2/3 cities, people rarely go for a 'small car with big price' like the Polo. On the other hand, Sunny is a 'big car with small price' - something they really love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas View Post
These numbers are correct in terms of mfg context but misleading in terms of domestic sales perspective. Nissan Micra are exported worldwide from TN assembly plant and VW's polos are only consumed locally. Hence, these numbers do not reflect what you experience in your daily real life.
AFAIK, these numbers are dealer shipments from factory and not mfg numbers. If there is any reason for you to think it is otherwise for Nissan numbers, please share the source since everyone else is under the impression that these are domestic sales numbers. All manufacturers including Maruti, Hyundai, Ford etc export cars made in India and those numbers are not captured here.

Last edited by zenren : 3rd December 2013 at 15:26.
zenren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 15:59   #48
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for the charts and numbers! And in quick time too. Rated 5-stars as usual!

It looks like any small, short-lived cheer for the automakers ended with the festive season. Now it has to be a slump in the traditional lean months of November and especially December. I read about a few top executives from some manufacturers saying government incentives are a must to overcome the dull market conditions.

I beg to differ. It's the economy as a whole which is going through a prolonged slump, and not just the automobile industry. Being an industry that thrives on the disposable income and steady employment of consumers, it's only natural that the auto industry will get hit hard by the prevailing economic conditions. No one is going to splurge on their next car, if one's job security is not assured for the foreseeable future, or if their income from business has reduced because of the general economic slump, or even if rising inflation / prevailing stagflation is making life difficult for them. In such economic conditions, people tend to stick with their existing cars or buy pre-owned vehicles or buy a car which is a segment or two below what one could afford in better economic conditions.

Already the government, which is scared to the core that it will lose the next elections, is dishing out treasury-draining schemes in a desperate attempt to buy votes, apart from shelving any steps to cut wasteful subsidies. This kind of borrow-and-splurge, money printing and doling out freebies is going to have disastrous economic consequences. We will all have to pay for such economic recklessness in one form or the other.

The auto industry (those who keep shouting for incentives) also needs to introspect by looking at the sales charts. Hot new models are simply flying off the shelves, doing their manufacturers a world of good and even leading to problems of plenty (production constraints). On the other hand some companies, who have no successful recent launches and have no new models lined up, are deservedly facing the heat. Instead of going with a begging bowl (or a bribing sack) in hand to the government, they need to pull up their own socks and launch cars that the market wants, and at prices people are willing to pay.

The auto sector is the closest thing that even remotely resembles a free market and open competition in the Indian economy. Companies that perform deserve to thrive, those that don't (or cannot or will not) perform deserve to perish in a free market.

Last edited by RSR : 3rd December 2013 at 16:05.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 16:39   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
The auto industry (those who keep shouting for incentives) also needs to introspect by looking at the sales charts. Hot new models are simply flying off the shelves, doing their manufacturers a world of good and even leading to problems of plenty (production constraints). On the other hand some companies, who have no successful recent launches and have no new models lined up, are deservedly facing the heat. Instead of going with a begging bowl (or a bribing sack) in hand to the government, they need to pull up their own socks and launch cars that the market wants, and at prices people are willing to pay.
Even if government comes up with some incentives for the auto sector like lower interest rate for auto loans or something similar, it would be beneficial to all players alike and would only be reaped by those players who actually sell cars. The guys with the 'begging bowl' would still be on the road side watching others sell more cars.
zenren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 17:06   #50
Senior - BHPian

Well the numbers for November are on expected lines. A lot of people wait to go for the new model year in January/ February as they expect a better resale value when they sell the cars. Some people also wait till December to get any additional discounts the car companies/ dealers may extend to try and get the year end targets.

Ford is surely earning no brownie points by making the people wait for the ES. Well most people would not wait a year for a suitable life partner( in case of an arranged marriage) let alone a car.
Old 3rd December 2013, 17:13   #51
BHPian

Wondering why the Passat has 0 for two consecutive months? Is there a new model coming in or is it just a case of No Sales? I feel its actually the only car which is worth the money in the 25-55 lac bracket.

Duster sales reflect a slump in the July-Sept period which is probably when every prospective Duster customer went after the Terrano. Guess they are now back on track with aggressive marketing, freebies like insurance and free membership to the Gang of Duster. I even read an ad in the newspaper recently which stated that "Test Drive Vehicle Available Now"!! Now thats what competition does to you.
Old 3rd December 2013, 17:45   #52
Senior - BHPian

Is the Nissan Sunny in for some prolonged cloudy times? (Likewise with Scala)
Or is it that they are focussing on the SUV sales at the expense of the sedan? They seem to be on a (continuos) downward spiral.
Old 3rd December 2013, 17:58   #53
BHPian

Nice statistics as usual, every time i read the figures one question is unanswered for me, looking at the overall figure of around one lakh vehicles, do we have such kind of road infrastructure ?
Old 3rd December 2013, 18:59   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Appears the market share is specific to November only. See the monthly numbers, most of the months VW has outselled Nissan by 100%
Old 3rd December 2013, 19:10   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Nice report. Parry's. Thank you.

For FIAT, Its a Dead end. They couldnt sell not even 1K units with their New linea, punto, regular Linea, Tjet. its sad to see their strategy going down.
I thought November was another 1k+ month for FIAT - fourth in a row, that is - unless, of course, your definition of 1k is different from mine
Old 3rd December 2013, 19:26   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
For a diesel vehicles obsessed country, surprising to see I10 Grand Petrol Sales outshine its Diesel version. Probably the announcement of complete roll back of Diesel subsidy sooner than later playing its part.

With the prices of Diesel and Petrol getting closer to each other, Looks like the entry level Consumer Diesel Hatch segment (Beat Diesel, Ritz Diesel and to some extent I10 Grand) is no longer relevant.

Also given the old I10 will come only with a 1.1 IRDE Engine, should it be considered a part of B1 segment and not B2 Segment? Its got some pretty strong company in B2 with the likes of Swift, Polo etc.
Good point, charanreddy!
But looks like the it is more of an aberration with i10G only.
If it is due to price gap, I would expect it to show on many makes and models. Perhaps it has something to do with the i10G engines themselves?
Old 3rd December 2013, 19:41   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
Chevy and Volkswagen need this 1 super hit car which can do 7.5k+ per month on a consistent basis. Having said that, it's the laid back attitude of these companies which is why they are here.

I completely agree with what you have said, their attitude is disgusting, Chevy has been increasing the prices on their over-priced vehicles like Sail twins, Enjoy and have been consistently giving huge discounts on a great car like Beat Diesel, how can they imagine to achieve good sales with this practice. Sometimes wonder what Maruti would have done with Beat in diesel avatar. Same with VW also, few days back when I visited their showroom on Hosur Road, their sales guy was boasting that anyone will pick their cars so they do not give any discounts. Chevy should really re-look at the pricing of cars which are for sure over-priced by atleast INR 80,000.
Old 3rd December 2013, 21:25   #58
Team-BHP Support

If there are no issues with production at Ford, then the only plausible explanation is they are exporting way more and diverting much lower numbers to Indian market.

@Parrys @GTO,
Do companies publish information related to exports, production etc ?

Last edited by ampere : 3rd December 2013 at 21:27.
Old 3rd December 2013, 21:27   #59
Senior - BHPian

WOW - after all these years of being here, Skoda still manages only 0.79% of the market despite a Fabia & Rapid in the mix! Great products offering excellent value proposition but an incompetent after sales is wearing them thin!

Manufacturers want to raise the prices now? What logic is that?
Old 3rd December 2013, 21:38   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by microaubin View Post
Wondering why the Passat has 0 for two consecutive months?
Reports indicate the Passat is being discontinued!

Cheers!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks