Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2013?
Hyundai Grand i10 115 8.44%
Chevrolet Sail (Sedan) 4 0.29%
Honda Amaze 250 18.36%
Chevrolet Enjoy 6 0.44%
Mahindra Verito Vibe 1 0.07%
Ford EcoSport 696 51.10%
Force Gurkha 5 0.37%
Mahindra e2o 35 2.57%
Isuzu D-Max 1 0.07%
Ashok Leyland Stile 8 0.59%
Nissan Terrano 21 1.54%
Skoda Octavia 152 11.16%
Honda CR-V 2 0.15%
BMW 1-Series 10 0.73%
Mercedes A-Class 32 2.35%
Isuzu MU-7 3 0.22%
Volvo V40 Cross Country 21 1.54%
Voters: 1362. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2013, 10:40   #76
BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2013. EDIT : Ford EcoSport it is!

I voted for Ford Ecosport as well, and found out from the vote results till now that my intuition was correct. It definitely qualifies as a game changer for Ford.

Would I buy one? No. I'm not a MUV/SUV person.

If I were, Ecoboost was the only option for me. It has too long a waiting period, and honestly speaking, I didn't enjoy the short test drive that I had with the Ecoboost - if I compare it to a T-Jet or a Rapid TDI, that is. But voting is supposed to be regardless of my personal like/dislikes.
Old 5th December 2013, 10:40   #77

Only two finalists for me. Ecosport n Amaze
Even though sales speak different (Grand-i10 and Amaze rules)
Grand-i10 eliminated because of its price for the slightly weak diesel engine.

Honda Amaze somehow loses to Ford Ecosport in terms of new design, engine (Ecoboost), price(Base Diesel Ecosport just 50-70k higher than that of Amaze).

Its the Ford Ecosport, its obvious.
Old 5th December 2013, 10:44   #78
Senior - BHPian

Ford EcoSport for me.

Honda Amaze would have won my vote, but the build quality and interiors are really disappointing. The diesel engine is superb and quite fuel efficient. Kudos to Honda for a fantastic debut of an engine. Honda City should rock with this engine.

Another contender for me was the Terrano, but it lost due to the high price.
Old 5th December 2013, 10:54   #79

Voted for the Honda Amaze . Honda got it right with their first Diesel in India and have to appreciate their efforts. The NVH levels are higher but this i-DTec has a long way to go i India. Kudos to Honda
Old 5th December 2013, 10:58   #80
Senior - BHPian

Am yet to vote. Will mostly vote for EcoSport.

But am very surprised to see so less votes for the Octavia. I mean, the design feels timeless. Its a loaded car and also has the 1.8 TSi option. I haven't driven one though.

Anyone would like to debate on this?
Old 5th December 2013, 11:02   #81
BHPian

So the competition is between the Ecosport, i10 Grand, Amaze and the Octavia.

I really like the i10 Grand for what it offers. It looks good, is the right size for city use, and has decent interiors and quality.

Octavia is a gizmo-fest, but is at a price point that escapes most hard-working people. ;-)

Amaze, don't get me wrong, is just another boot-job on a decent car. And 1.5L extra for a weird looking boot-job? A big NO. Brio is a decent car, but not the Amaze.

Finally, Ford with the Ecosport, brought an affordable SUV for the masses. It is a game changer, just the way the Indica brought affordable diesels and the original Octavia brought affordable luxury to the masses.
Old 5th December 2013, 11:03   #82
BHPian

Can we have 2 COTY ?

One for Heart and One for Head?

Just voted for Octavia (Heart) over the Head (EcoSport) !!
SRKHYD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 11:06   #83
BHPian

The dilemma I face when voting for CoTY :
Should I vote for the most popular(sales wise) car? if yes, then its i10 Grand.
Should I vote for the car with maximum safety & comfort features? if yes, then it may be Volvov40.
Should I vote for the car that I'm most likely to purchase? if yes, then its Amaze.

Finally I voted for Ecosport. For me, this car ticked the following boxes: (1) created a whole new segment of compact-urban SUV (2) futuristic styling (3) innovation (Ecoboost engine)

Last edited by ankan.m.blr : 5th December 2013 at 11:08.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 11:22   #84
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Force Gurkha. At 8.5L Ex-Bangalore, they offer quite an SUV. You've to try really hard to get stuck in that vehicle. The OLD Merc engine gives it reliability (which other company gives 3L km warranty?). Its BS3 because of where its going to be used.

Btw, gotta give it to Ford for marketing a 4m Petrol SUV with interiors as cramped as the Swift! And what baffles me is the price people want to pay even while waiting upto 4 months!

This shows that 3 things matter :
1) The Design,
2) The Marketing,
3) The Design.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 5th December 2013 at 11:35.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 11:27   #85
BHPian

My Vote goes to e2o.

It's is a brilliant car, loaded to the brim, solar recharge options. The features available to the user can't be match by any Top end cars.
It might be costlier, but I'm sure with the advancement of battery technology, charging points and our government finally realizing it's true potential (subsidy/Tax refund), this is e2o initiative should be lauded.

PS: I'm waiting to get my hands on an e2o, once it gets available on carzonrent.
Arunshek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 11:38   #86
BHPian

Should we have the option of 'None of the Above' too? Like the 'NOTA' introduced in recent elections?

Ecosport is notable for something new in our market in terms of technology and of course has made most news and sparked a lot of interest. But it does not seem a good all-round package. Lacks in space, ride is so-so. It is marked by questionable company practices that I would never want to reward, in whatever little way.

iGrand is good overall package that Hyundai has managed, but it is more of a better, bigger, newer i10.

Amaze is a competent car, but is notable most of all for entry of Honda into the Diesel segment with an engine which is promising but needs to be perfected over time.

I am surprised Octavia has received so few votes till now, considering it was eagerly awaited by enthusiasts. I can't really judge the merits of the car. Somehow my mind switches off reading about cars which cost more than 15 lakhs. Moreover, Skoda pisses me off. Technical troubles in new cars, that is amazing!!

I voted for none.

If I must vote for some it would be Mahindra e20 for offering to the Indian public something which no other company has dared to offer.

Last edited by jhaji : 5th December 2013 at 11:43. Reason: Wanted to add a line
jhaji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 11:41   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Voted for the Force Gurkha. At 8.5L Ex-Bangalore, they offer quite an SUV. You've to try really hard to get stuck in that vehicle. The OLD Merc engine gives it reliability (which other company gives 3L km warranty?). What more?
Is it still in production/ did they actually manage to sell at least one Gurkha? November sales numbers from Force doesn't show even a single vehicle sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arunshek View Post
My Vote goes to e2o.

It might be costlier, but I'm sure with the advancement of battery technology, charging points and our government finally realizing it's true potential (subsidy/Tax refund), this is e2o initiative should be lauded.
Subsidies and tax breaks for EVs are meaningful only in countries where they are producing more electricity than what is being consumed.

Unfortunately, India has not reached a point where it has surplus electricity to give subsidies for EVs. When the whole country is facing electricity shortage, there is no way the government can encourage the consumption of electricity. They'll end up importing more crude oil if electricity consumption increases to meet the demands.
Old 5th December 2013, 11:45   #88
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 5th December 2013 at 15:52.
Nanometer is offline   Received Infraction
Old 5th December 2013, 12:00   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Subsidies and tax breaks for EVs are meaningful only in countries where they are producing more electricity than what is being consumed.

Unfortunately, India has not reached a point where it has surplus electricity to give subsidies for EVs. When the whole country is facing electricity shortage, there is no way the government can encourage the consumption of electricity. They'll end up importing more crude oil if electricity consumption increases to meet the demands.
Seems you haven't checked e20's recharging features at all.
Regenerative braking: Energy gets back into the battery while you slow down or brake. This means you’re actually saving power and recharging the batteries every time you brake.
Solar Drive: The car is equipped to be charged from Solar energy.

So existence of multiple mobiles, AC, PC and laptop, Microwave Oven, Vacuum cleaner, Music system at homes consume electric city? Do we have surplus to run all these luxuries? This car uses same 15A socket.
If there is a will there is a way. This is the future and it's in nascent stage, though well advanced if you compare it with initial Reva. Hence my vote.
Arunshek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 12:04   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post

Your point about India being a energy deficient nation is valid but I still believe we should move to the higher usage of electric driven vehicles because:

1. Electricity production in big, uniform load power plants is more efficient than burning fuel at all those tiny distributed small IC engines. So even if we import LNG to build electricity, my hunch is that we will still save money in import cost. reduced pollution is another benefit.

2. India is rich in natural resources required for electricity production. So, eventually, we will be self sufficient in electricity production but the way things are, our crude oil import is only going to increase.

Note to Mods: Please remove the post if you think it is irreverent to the main discussion about COTY. I feel very strongly about the subject so felt compelled to clear a common misconception about electric vehicles.
shobhit.shri is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks