Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2014, 12:15   #46
BHPian

re: PM's Official Ride: Bullet-proof Scorpio or an import? EDIT : BMW fleet retained

The PM will have the last word here but its only natural for Anand Mahindra and Pawan Goenka to chip in with their offerings. Whatever the PM chooses, it would make a statement of its own. If it were to be Mahindras which make the cut, it suggests immense faith he reposes with 'Made in India', on the other hand if it were to be BMWs/JLRs/Mercs then a subtle message is sent across that we aren't there yet which in my opinion is rather true.

Personally, I would want him to go with a Range Rover as its British made Indian owned

For those who play the patriotism card, I cant help but remind you of the failed bid that Mahindra made to acquire stake in Aston Martin and also JLR earlier. Its in a way their own admission of their obsession with overseas marquees.
prancinstallion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 12:54   #47
Senior - BHPian

re: PM's Official Ride: Bullet-proof Scorpio or an import? EDIT : BMW fleet retained

I think that our PM hardly thinks of whether to travel in this car or that car. It might not be a matter of concern for him.

I observed that there is a TCIC Safari in the PM's fleet, have seen the same in 2007-08 too. It does lead the convey most of the time, at 2nd or 3rd position. I imagine how that poor engine is still giving Scorpio's and other newer Safari's a run for their money.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 13:41   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
I think that our PM hardly thinks of whether to travel in this car or that car. It might not be a matter of concern for him.
Can I suggest that 'our' PM thinks VERY much of image and its building/construction. So no I don't believe he is indifferent to this apparently trivial topic. And he is not wrong to, given not just his concern for HIS 'image' but our deep care for it too! 4 pgs and counting on this thread! But seriously: I would like to see Modi adopt a low-key, un-Laal-Batti, un-Lordly, anonymous automotive style.

MODS: I hope this is not construed as a party-politically partisan sort of post. I think this point does need to be made, given the loaded nature of some of the posts so far.
Old 22nd May 2014, 13:48   #49
Senior - BHPian

Read the article as well this morning and was a bit amused honestly , while it would be very "prestigious" for the Mahindras to have the scorpio as the offical vehicle for the PM , and they would i am sure make any adjustments which the SPG require , there is simply no sense of the required "grandeur" which the vehicle of the PM needs - its about security but its also about being fancy which is where the scorpio lacks.

Maybe the Scorpio can replace some of the other cars in the convoy such as the Safari's , Ambassdors etc but not the one meant for the PM.

Additionally , and personally ,i would not like them to do it either , the article mentions there about half a dozen or so 7 series which have been bought and being used - i would like to see some prudent use of money as well and utilize what is already present - which happens to be better than a scorpio - rather than spend more money in getting a new fleet together. Sure the 7 series can be trickled down to others in the government but at the end of the day money would still be spent irrespective.... not the best start to a government promising massively on financial issues.
Old 22nd May 2014, 13:51   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
I observed that there is a TCIC Safari in the PM's fleet, have seen the same in 2007-08 too.
I think the Safari carries the jammer equipment.

Here is PM's fleet - two 7 series & six X3 BMWs, one Safari, one MB ambulance.
PM's Official Ride: Bullet-proof Scorpio or an import? EDIT : BMW fleet retained-article24104121b9b2e05000005dc674_964x420.jpg
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 14:14   #51
BHPian

six BMW X3s or X5s? I think they are X5s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post

Attachment 1243213
Old 22nd May 2014, 14:33   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Please not a scorpio, the world is watching.

A Range Rover long wheelbase will be apt.
Awesome car I must say!

The current fleet looks good IMO. Why to lower the grade it with a Scorpio? If Mahindra or Tata had a luxury car or SUV above 30L then I would agree for the PM's decision on choosing an Indian made car.
Old 22nd May 2014, 14:54   #53
Senior - BHPian

Tata can get hold of a Range Rover and rename it as Tata (platform sharing). That way he will have a Indian car with a Indian name
Old 22nd May 2014, 14:58   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
six BMW X3s or X5s? I think they are X5s.
The grill & the location of fog lamps indicate it is X3. Unfortunately, there is no rear view to confirm it.
Old 22nd May 2014, 15:06   #55
BHPian

Quote:
The grill & the location of fog lamps indicate it is X3. Unfortunately, there is no rear view to confirm it.
They are without doubt the last gen BMW X5s. Attaching a picture for reference. Source: Internet
Attached Thumbnails
PM's Official Ride: Bullet-proof Scorpio or an import? EDIT : BMW fleet retained-bmw_x5_edition_10_jahre_x5_e70__frontansicht_17._juli_2011_dsseldorf.jpg  

Crazy_Bean is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 15:21   #56
BHPian

Quote:
I think they are X5s, thats what Wiki says

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_state_car#India

also check this video:

Foxbat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 15:33   #57
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1243213
This picture reminds me of a quote i read in school; you are only as fast as the slowest member in your group

All those BMW's and a Tata Safari running ahead of the group jamming the radio waves. If the PM was really in a hurry to get somewhere, the Safari wouldnt even be able to keep up with those BMW's. Why cant they just put the jamming equipment on a BMW SUV and forget the Tata Safari? Is it because BMW would not honour the vehicle's warranty with this non-BMW approved modification?
rahul4321 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 15:36   #58
BHPian

Rather than a Scorpio, the two options I could think of in terms of road presence and sturdiness and an Indian build could be the Tata Safari Storme or the Mahindra XUV500 W8.

However the final word rests with the PMO and NSG who would acquire and maintain the stable of cars for the PM designate.
Old 22nd May 2014, 16:26   #59
BHPian

My vote would go for the Toyota Land Cruiser. It's safe,not particularly agile in its diesel avatar but the petrol 5.7ltr V8 is a good engine. Also it is Used Worldwide in the Presidential convoy. Especially in countries with bad roads like South Africa. They are far more reliable than the Range Rovers

Also read this report on how Quatari expat's lives were saved when a suicide bomber tried to blow up the Land Cruiser.Landcruiser

File Photo of the same.
PM's Official Ride: Bullet-proof Scorpio or an import? EDIT : BMW fleet retained-werar.jpg

File photo of the UN spec Land Cruiser:
PM's Official Ride: Bullet-proof Scorpio or an import? EDIT : BMW fleet retained-images.jpg

Here's the Review of the LC200 by Fifth Gear he speaks about the UN spec cars too.
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 16:32   #60
Senior - BHPian

Why does the PM need a fleet? To travel within Delhi?
And what happens when he has to travel outside Delhi? I am sure they have some helicopters and some private jets to take care of commutation. Yes. More expensive than road travel, but also less inconvenience to fellow citizens who have to face road blocks for several hours where-ever the convoy goes.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks