Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2014, 15:44   #1
Team-BHP Support

Third generation BMW X5 launched in India at Rs. 70.9 lakh

German luxury carmaker, BMW has launched the third generation X5 in India at a price of Rs. 70,90,000 (ex-showroom, India).

The new X5 follows BMW's new design language. It has larger headlamps with adaptive LEDs and larger grille than its predecessor, redesigned front bumper, tail lamps and a split tail gate. The car is longer, wider and taller than the outgoing model. However, due to weight saving measures adopted in its construction, it manages to be lighter than the old car.

On the inside, there are three rows of seats. Equipment includes a 10.2-inch display in the centre of the dashboard, an iDrive touch controller, Harman Kardonn audio system, satellite navigation, Bluetooth and USB connectivity, climate control, parking cameras and panorama glass sunroof.

Safety features include six airbags, dynamic stability control, dynamic traction control, cornering brake control, hill descent control, side impact protection, electronic vehicle immobiliser and crash sensor.

The new X5 is available with only one engine option - 3.0-litre, in-line 6-cylinder TwinPower turbo diesel developing 255 bhp @ 4000 rpm and 560 Nm of torque @ 1500-3000 rpm. The engine is mated to an 8-speed Steptronic automatic transmission. The X5 has an xDrive all-wheel drive system and adaptive suspension. BMW claims that the X5 can accelerate from 0 to 100 kph in 6.9 seconds and has an electronically limited top speed of 230 kph.

The X5 will be built at BMW's Chennai plant.

Third generation BMW X5 launched in India at Rs. 70.9 lakh-bmw1.jpg
Third generation BMW X5 launched in India at Rs. 70.9 lakh-bmw2.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 29th May 2014 at 16:00.
Aditya is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 17:10   #2
BHPian

Re: Third generation BMW X5 launched in India at Rs. 70.9 lakh

I don't believe the X5 would do very well. People would either settle for the cheaper Q7 or stretch a little and buy the GL. The X5 tries too hard to be both like an SUV and car but isn't too good in both avatars. The third row, unlike the GL's is practically unusable. And barely anyone would use their BMW for off-roading, which is only decent.
prakhar1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 17:28   #3
Team-BHP Support

I think they have gone wrong with the price again. 70l ex showroom means an on road of around 80l, which is 10 more than the ML350. It is not a full size SUV like the GL too. I mean the GL is around 72-73l ex showroom. What is BMW trying to pull?

Either well its loaded well, and it will definitely drive well. International press has been all praise for it.

Here are the specs -
Attached Files
File Type: pdf The_all-new_BMW_X5_Spec_Sheet_May_2014.pdf (1.66 MB, 842 views)
Akshay1234 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 21:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

This is just the launch price for the top end diesel, to create a halo effect the current generation has a two wheel drive version, whenever that gets here sales will pick up. Who takes any of these soft roaders off the tarmac?

The price tag means a landed cost of 90 lakhs in Bangalore, the Q7 is a much better option and the ML is much cheaper.
Old 29th May 2014, 21:54   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
This is just the launch price for the top end diesel, to create a halo effect the current generation has a two wheel drive version, whenever that gets here sales will pick up. Who takes any of these soft roaders off the tarmac?

The price tag means a landed cost of 90 lakhs in Bangalore, the Q7 is a much better option and the ML is much cheaper.
Yes if they can bring the 25d here with 2 wheel drive, and price it around 50 (I know I'm pushing it) or maybe even 55 it will be a hot seller.

Why is the Q7 a better option? It is large on the outside, but very cramped considering its outside dimensions. Also I'm willing to bet the X5 rides far better than the Q7. Lets not forget the new Q7 is due next year, the present one is far too dated to be compared.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 22:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Yes if they can bring the 25d here with 2 wheel drive, and price it around 50 (I know I'm pushing it) or maybe even 55 it will be a hot seller.

Why is the Q7 a better option? It is large on the outside, but very cramped considering its outside dimensions. Also I'm willing to bet the X5 rides far better than the Q7. Lets not forget the new Q7 is due next year, the present one is far too dated to be compared.
I am not getting into details, most people like the brawny looks of the Q7 and the popularity should ensure better resale. 55 for the two wheel drive is about right, the rupee being where it is.

The perception of being a brutish car helps the Q7, and Audi's brand recall is quite good among recent first time buyers looking for an upgrade in the near future. Must be a film star inspired thing.
Old 29th May 2014, 23:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

A dealer recently told me that there's a "Cheaper" 5-seat version also in the pipeline which will be about 4-5 lakh cheaper than the one that was launched today.

No news on the 25d as of now. Mostly not coming soon.
Old 30th May 2014, 12:38   #8
BHPian

Quote:
The Q7 is quite a looker even though a bit dated with a refresh around the corner and still commands a waiting period. The interiors are top notch and the last row can accommodate 2 people even though a bit cramped. The earlier X5 didn't have the last row of seats so which really tipped the scales in favor of the Q7. What's wrong if you have 2 additional seats?

X5 would have a tough time with this pricing even though it has 7 seats. In India if it's a SUV it should be quite big for the money you dole out. In this matter the new GL looks so smashing that you can see the huge 3 pointed star on the grille from a mile away and is better in every way!!
Old 30th May 2014, 16:56   #9
BHPian

I don't think it is fair to compare the new X5 with the Q7 or the GL. The Q7 is a very coarse SUV to drive with a bulbous exterior and an interior ambience and space which is nothing short of a joke. Also, it gets replaced next year and hopefully the next gen truck is a better value for money. The GL on the other hand while better looking and more spacious is absolutely garbage. The infotainment is probably 7 years old, the graphics are horrible and is too expensive FWIW. The only saving grace is its set of V6 motors (350 and 350 CDI). The X5 on the other hand is brilliant with tech you still don't see on any other premium SUV. Also, with its different drive modes it can be as sublime as a Rolls or as brutal as a purposeful performance machine. As far as I am concerned THIS is the SUV to have and once they release the X7; game over
e92335 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2014, 12:32   #10
BHPian

Probably BMW should replace the matte silver grills with the black performance grills to complement the look of the car as the silver ones look out of place.
Nevertheless a great update over the old one and VFM over the Q and the GL.
Old 26th June 2014, 14:26   #11
Team-BHP Support

BMW has started rolling out the X5 xDrive3d from its Chennai plant.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Old 29th June 2014, 18:43   #12
BHPian

I am looking for a Black 7 Seat X5. Company use. It seems that BMW has already got all its stocked booked for the 7 Seat variant for the whole year! That's what the dealer informed me.

Anybody with connections to any BMW dealer? Please PM me.

The availability for now is that of a 5 sear version. That too starting end July. Keeping my fingers crossed for a positive answer from fellow bhpians.
Old 29th June 2014, 19:13   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoy View Post
That's what the dealer informed me.
Yes, I heard the same from the dealer here in Bangalore (meaning 7-seater version is available only until this year end). Didnt probe further though.
Old 29th June 2014, 20:02   #14
Team-BHP Support

What is the sudden fascination of manufacturers with the color Java/Woodland Brown? I liked it initially for the novelty it offered, but now...maybe not.
Old 29th June 2014, 20:37   #15
BHPian

Quote:
I think they have gone wrong with the price again. 70l ex showroom means an on road of around 80l, which is 10 more than the ML350. It is not a full size SUV like the GL too. I mean the GL is around 72-73l ex showroom. What is BMW trying to pull?

Either well its loaded well, and it will definitely drive well. International press has been all praise for it.

Here are the specs -
When i was in Noida for the 2014 Auto Expo, I had asked the people at BMW as to what would be the max onroad price for the car in Mumbai when it arrives, they said 79L for top end version. I was rather happy to hear that. When i called up BMW in Mumbai for the official price on road, they said 89Lakhs
My dream was shattered. No way i am ever going to spend that kind of money on a car. Would rather wait for the new C and ML350 with updated interiors. Because honestly, the interiors in almost every BMW are just ok, and good looking interiors mean a lot to me.

Last edited by mod_to_odd : 29th June 2014 at 20:42.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks