Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2014, 11:19   #31
BHPian

re: Kerala: Seatbelts mandatory for all occupants (front & rear)

This is a really good initiative by the Kerela Government if enforced properly.

In my opinion, they should also include proper training of current & future drivers on good driving etiquette (Lane discipline, using proper turn signals, Right of Way, etc.)
Old 6th June 2014, 12:11   #32
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Kerala: Seatbelts mandatory for all occupants (front & rear). EDIT, revoked!

Hats off to Kerala! It's moves like these that show just why it is the most literate state in India.

From all the States I've travelled to in India, found Kerala's highway manners to be the best (odd idiot notwithstanding). Overall public facilities were also maintained impressively well by Indian standards.

Related Thread
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 13:19   #33
BHPian

re: Kerala: Seatbelts mandatory for all occupants (front & rear). EDIT, revoked!

Excellent move by the state government!

I often have to force friends to wear the seat belts in my car, not to mention the odd questions people ask me if I choose to wear a seat belt when sitting in the back myself (I always wear them on any highway, I should start making it a practice to do so in the city as well).

Really hope more states follow suit.
kadanaJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 13:28   #34
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 6th June 2014 at 14:20.
supercars is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 6th June 2014, 13:46   #35
BHPian

A welcome initiative from the Kerala Govt! Hope that the rest of the country follows suit soon!
If I recall correctly, Dubai's Federal Traffic Council has proposed an AED 400(≈INR 6450) fine along with 4 black points for rear passengers not wearing seat belts.
yash1229 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 13:53   #36
Senior - BHPian

A very welcome move and hope this gets implemented across the country.
I am sick and tired of forcing my co-passengers to wear seatbelts.
Old 6th June 2014, 13:59   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
If pictures can help, I can send you pictures of my car's rear seat belts. It is also a Zen with factory fitted rear seat belts.
Saket,
Please post it in the Zen modifications thread. I too might be thinking of installing it in my Zen when it is due for registration renewal on completing 20 years. It might need a paint job around that time anyway - so it might be good to include this to the job card.

It would be interesting to see how many politicians actually obey these rules in Kerala. We see them arriving in style at various functions which are telecast in news channels. Lets see if any of them unbuckle once they arrive or buckle up once they get into their car to leave. I'm not sure if this may get enforced properly.

In case of sun-films or speed-guns, state cars with red lights on top were exempt and that resulted in no objection from the top with implementing those reforms. This time, there is no grounds for expempting VIPs from following the rule.

Last edited by GTO : 6th June 2014 at 14:21. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 6th June 2014, 14:32   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
The use of vert high wattage bulbs by these vehicles carrying Sabarimala pilgrims is a very dangerous menace. They won't even dip their main beams ever. This is the main causative factor for many accidents. Will the authorities concerned take remedial measures?
Agree.It's not just other state vehicles alone. Infact, many of the luxury coaches and tourist tempo travellers in the state have high power blinding headlamps installed as extra, in addition to the stock ones.More than it's usability,they do it mainly to add to the bling-factor (just like how they install Heavy sub-woofers, chinese LED strips all over the vehicles's body etc..).

I have seen such coaches with as many as 4 to 6 extra lamps in between the left and the right stock headlamps.With such a setup, there is no use in them dipping the beams also, because I have felt it only dips the stock lamps, and the extra ones would be still pointed straight to the oncoming driver's eyes. It literally blinds anyone, no matter how powerful your Rallys or HIDs are. It simply can't match the brightness of those 6 or 8 100W bulbs glowing together.

Hope the Transport Commissioner takes notice of these things too.

But what I fail to understand is,why are the buses exempted from seat-belt laws? Are'nt all passenger seats front-facing in buses too? Or is there something in the law, which I might have missed?
VinodDevil81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 14:33   #39
BHPian

This is a welcome move by Kerala authorities. We will be glad if they will provide the same facility (of seat belts) in Kerala state transport buses also. Many times we have heard bus accidents in Kerala and so many victims.

I hope that Kerala State Road Safety Commissioner will also address other issues like triple seat bikers, yellow number plate rash drivers, truckers without tail lights (ouch the list is increasing).

In pune city, 6 seaters (sorry 10-11 seaters) are rampant. They stop anywhere, turn anywhere. Complaint to pune police facebook page goes unheard. Can our forum raise the voice against these lawbreakers? I know that they are economically poor and run these vehicles to feed the family but don't we pay tax too for driving on roads, and tolls?

I request moderators to start a thread to post complaints and to forward them to relevant authorities.
Old 6th June 2014, 14:35   #40
BHPian

Completely agree with the views of the BHPians who posted here.

A very good move indeed. But we certainly need this to be across the nation and not just state-specific.

Furthermore, my opinion is that manufacturer's too need to be put under the compulsory rule of 2 Airbags as a minimum (Driver and Passenger). Let the prices of the cars go up a little. Let people realize that 50K to 1L is a very small sum against a person's life.

People right now are conveniently opting for one variant lower just to avoid the cost of the Airbags and thinking that they will utilise the money saved on accessories like Alloy Wheels, DRLs, fancy Seat covers & what not.

Last edited by tejas08 : 6th June 2014 at 14:39.
Old 6th June 2014, 14:52   #41
BHPian

Well done Rishi Raj Singh. Hope other states too will enforce this rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
From all the States I've travelled to in India, found Kerala's highway manners to be the best (odd idiot notwithstanding).
GTO are you sure?

Kerala is known for reckless driving specially by private bus operators. There are several routes in Kerala well known for dangerous driving like Thrissur-Guruvayur, Thrissur-Palakkad, among others. But in recent times, the State Transport Commissioner has initiated several measures to control these morons. Infact statistics show that the accidents in Kerala are actually declining despite the increase in vehicular density.

Report by Kerala Police HERE
Old 6th June 2014, 15:08   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVento View Post
Kerala is known for reckless driving specially by private bus operators. There are several routes in Kerala well known for dangerous driving like Thrissur-Guruvayur, Thrissur-Palakkad, among others.
This is very true, although private bus drivers in Cochin city limit is better than before but still need to impose strict actions for violations. Other than that the following are strictly followed here in Cochin

1) Speeding and reckless driving
2) DUI - Very strict, even checks are conducted in the morning
3) Lane change in reckless manner
4) Jumping signals
5) Sun films
6) Overtaking from left
7) Overtaking on the bridge
8) Overtaking on yellow line
9) Illegal lights, horns and number plates

and many others. I really wish they do something about the local bus drivers as they are a real menace.
Old 6th June 2014, 15:10   #43
BHPian

Very good news indeed. This should be enforced strictly and hope this rule is implemented across the country at the earliest. If enforced, this will also ensure that overcrowding in vehicles especially on the back seat will come down.
Old 6th June 2014, 15:17   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hats off to Kerala! It's moves like these that show just why it is the most literate state in India.

From all the States I've travelled to in India, found Kerala's highway manners to be the best (odd idiot notwithstanding). Overall public facilities were also maintained impressively well by Indian standards.

Related Thread
Driving in Kerala is nothing less than playing Grand theft Auto.I found Mumbai to be much more disciplined.

Kudos to Shri Rishiraj Singh for enforcing this rule.
Old 6th June 2014, 15:31   #45
BHPian

Otherwise it was quite a hard task to convince people of wearing seat belts while on the rear seats. There are people who move to the back seat just to avoid wearing seat belts.

Kudos to Rishi Raj Singh finally that too is mandated. If someone would make the roads wider too, it'd be very nice. Otherwise the death toll will continue to rise, whatever counter measures be taken. Anyways Kerala has set an example, with both seat belts and helmet mandated - way to go!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks