Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2014, 08:44   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Honda has 2 potential super hit cars in luxury segment. Both are very good & people like them a lot. But hardly anyone buy it. Why?? No diesel option available in both cars. No prize for guessing those 2 cars, its CRV and Accord.
I fully agree and why leave the poor Civic behind? Not a bad car except for the low GC and the lack of diesel engine, that car is fantastic.

If Honda does re-launch these 3 cars again with a diesel heart then it'll be fun watching public response.

Civic - 1 6L or 1.8L i-DTEC
CRV - 2L i-DTEC
Accord - 2L or 2.2L i-DTEC

Hope Honda reads our post and thinks over it.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 10:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: Rumour: Honda India to reintroduce the Accord in 2015. EDIT: Coming in 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I fully agree and why leave the poor Civic behind? Not a bad car except for the low GC and the lack of diesel engine, that car is fantastic.

If Honda does re-launch these 3 cars again with a diesel heart then it'll be fun watching public response.

Civic - 1 6L or 1.8L i-DTEC
CRV - 2L i-DTEC
Accord - 2L or 2.2L i-DTEC
Sorry about missing Civic, my bad. Civic is also a wonderful car with really sexy looks. If Honda can launch all these 3 cars with potential diesel hearts, i am sure other cars like Corolla, Jetta, Octavia, Superb, Fortuner etc will run for their money. Honda has huge huge potential in all these 3 cars with diesel heart. Honda are you listening??

Honda Civic or Accord is my dream car & i had silent, inside wish to buy one for myself from resale market as you can get one for a really cool price.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd July 2014 at 12:06. Reason: Typos
Old 2nd July 2014, 11:36   #18
Senior - BHPian

Honda Accord to me will always be that high and smooth-revving 3.5 litre V6 petrol. A car which beats even a BMW 3-series and Merc C class in a straight line. I recently drove one and boy o' boy, what acceleration ( even in AT ). To hell with fuel efficeincy. I would say buy one, a good pre-owned, as it would be the last of the Mohicans. A proper V6 with free revving petrol. And thanks to our bloated petrol prices, these cars are available for a pittance in used car market.

Speaking of new Accord launch with tiny 1.6 litre diesel, I would say what a fall from that silky smooth free-revving 3.5 litre V6!
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 12:14   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
but in the past year this has drastically changed , with no car managing to sell more than 500 cars a month , from a segment that was once very exciting
So true. Here's a thread that you absolutely must read. Totally on the topic
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 01:28   #20
BHPian

Currently, Indian buyers are having a affair with the Germans, however, despite the famous phrase, "All is fair in love and war", any affair or relationship gets bitter when mere "Trust" becomes an issue! Nowadays, this forum is flooded with frustrating stories of problematic Skoda Superbs, cranky VW Jettas, BMW's that burn your pocket and Audis which cannot take you to point A to B despite having spent months at the service centre.

The first thing that comes to ones mind is that Japanese cars on the other hand are much more reliable. Yes, we do have to sacrifice a few features and a wee bit of that European feel, but there's nothing better than a little peace of mind, especially if it is available as an option.

The New Accord with its contemporary looks and reasonable feature list needs only two things to perform well in the market: A well specced (adequately sized) Diesel engine or a well priced petrol. If so, Honda can definite make the Accord a success story.

Last but not the least, Honda badly needs a premium sedan in its stable to keep its brand image at a higher level! Get in the Accord, Honda..... And make it work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I fully agree and why leave the poor Civic behind? Not a bad car except for the low GC and the lack of diesel engine, that car is fantastic. If Honda does re-launch these 3 cars again with a diesel heart then it'll be fun watching public response. Civic - 1 6L or 1.8L i-DTEC CRV - 2L i-DTEC Accord - 2L or 2.2L i-DTEC Hope Honda reads our post and thinks over it. Anurag.
Totally agree with you, Anurag!
filhosdegoa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 19:53   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

ET reports confirmation that Honda Cars India will be re-introducing the Honda Accord (in it's 9th-gen avatar) in India in the next financial year.

Quote:
“We have the full intention of getting the Accord back in our portfolio, expect the current version sold overseas to come to India next fiscal,” Jnaneswar Sen, senior VP, Marketing & Sales for Honda Cars India, said.

Besides the Accord, the Japanese carmaker will also launch the new Jazz next year, a compact SUV in 2016, a diesel CR-V variant and a new small car in 2017, industry sources said.

Gaurav Vangaal, analyst for light vehicle forecasting at IHS Automotive, said, “Honda carries a premium brand image in the minds of Indian consumers and it needs to maintain that to create an aspirational value even in the mass segment. Though it does not have any significant effect on volume, the Accord will help in doing exactly the same.”
SOURCE - Economic Times

Last edited by RavenAvi : 15th September 2014 at 20:07.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 01:28   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
ET reports confirmation that Honda Cars India will be re-introducing the Honda Accord (in it's 9th-gen avatar) in India in the next financial year.

SOURCE - Economic Times
Please note that they have made substantial changes to Accord from 2013 models in the US. I drive one here and its hell of a car, its just super efficient. I get 29+ mpg (12.33kmpl) in city and 35+ (15kmpl) on highways.

The only other midsegment car which beats the Accord in fuel efficiency in US is Nissan Altima. The 2013 Accord has DI engine and timing chain. Though slightly noisy than the older 2.4, the power delivery is far smoother. The CVT is just the segment best.

Though the Nissan altima feels overall refined, I always felt that its CVT is lugging the engine at 40mph which reflects in its better fuel economy.

please see the details here http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/ar...spx?id=7020-en
shineshine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 13:15   #23
BHPian

I can only call Honda's India strategy confused. Let me explain.

With only 1 car < 10 lac a few years ago, Honda now has almost all of their cars in this group. Honda clearly wanted to focus here and the lack of numbers in Civic/Accord only encouraged them to do so. So far so good. Now with each passing year, as you see more of Brios and Amaze on the road--the perception of Honda will be (if not already) as someone who provides a VFM car and not a luxury/premium one. I for one already view them as a competitor to Maruti and Hyundai. They will have to dig deep and ask what they want their identity in India to be. I can not recollect a single car manufacturer in India who has been successfully able to handle both ends of the segment. (Toyota may be? just marginally , even if they have managed to juggle this.)

In India (may be elsewhere too) perception plays a big part in a purchase decision. In an already weak segment, filled with competitors, I see a bleak future for Accord--if it is ever launched.

There is a reason companies launch different brands across different segments.
Shortsell is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 19:01   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineshine View Post
Please note that they have made substantial changes to Accord from 2013 models in the US. I drive one here and its hell of a car, its just super efficient.
Indeed. The present-gen Accord is a big leap for Honda from yesteryears' Accord, size/engines/features-wise.

And in India, brand Accord is still synonymous with "big-car luxury". It should do well, when it's up against the Camry, Superb, Sonata, et al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortsell View Post
In India (may be elsewhere too) perception plays a big part in a purchase decision. In an already weak segment, filled with competitors, I see a bleak future for Accord--if it is ever launched.
On the contrary, Honda India knows that the "H" badge is associated with premiumness, which is one of the major reasons why the "H" badge sells (even on an Amaze or a Mobilio). There is no harm in trying to keep that premium image flying through the Accord & the CR-V. Both are CKD units and both have their takers in India, more so the Accord. As long as it does decent numbers (around ~100 units monthly) in it's segment, Honda will be happy. Plus, now that they have volume sellers in their portfolio, trying to grab a chunk of the premium pie is a good move and an added advantage.
Old 16th September 2014, 19:02   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortsell View Post
I can only call Honda's India strategy confused. Let me explain.

With only 1 car < 10 lac a few years ago, Honda now has almost all of their cars in this group. Honda clearly wanted to focus here and the lack of numbers in Civic/Accord only encouraged them to do so. So far so good. Now with each passing year, as you see more of Brios and Amaze on the road--the perception of Honda will be (if not already) as someone who provides a VFM car and not a luxury/premium one. I for one already view them as a competitor to Maruti and Hyundai. They will have to dig deep and ask what they want their identity in India to be. I can not recollect a single car manufacturer in India who has been successfully able to handle both ends of the segment. (Toyota may be? just marginally , even if they have managed to juggle this.)

There is a reason companies launch different brands across different segments.
with all points, but sometimes the car makers are going as per the global goals of the corporate group, and it seems like "volume" definitely is one of those goals.

However, not to forget - this is Honda we are talking about - the same company that in one fell sweep can take crazy decisions like discount the Civic Hybrid by 6 lacs and discontinuing the Civic and Accord!

On the other hand, the Honda group has never, ever made a loss in any financial year - and the speed of their decision making shows how profitability is paramount!
Old 7th May 2015, 14:16   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

The 2016 Accord has been caught on camera without any camouflage!

Rumour: Honda India to reintroduce the Accord in 2015. EDIT: Coming in 2016-2016hondaaccordspied5.jpg

Rumour: Honda India to reintroduce the Accord in 2015. EDIT: Coming in 2016-2016hondaaccordspied2.jpg

SOURCE - Car And Driver
Old 7th May 2015, 14:45   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The 2016 Accord has been caught on camera without any camouflage!
Honda and Chrome Looks like the Jazz is the only one spared in the recent times

Cars looks awesome otherwise. The alloys are super cool. If it comes to India with a powerful diesel with auto box - not the 1.5 or 1.6 iDTEC pls - it can definitely win a lot of customers. Space will be equivalent to Superb if not more. Honda badge will definitely help.
Old 7th May 2015, 15:32   #28
Team-BHP Support

That looks horrible, more like a Merc bodyshell with an 'H' tacked on. Won't bother commenting on the chrome overload. Honda is losing its design mojo, slowly but surely. Whatever happened to understated designs with clean lines?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th May 2015 at 15:34.
Old 7th May 2015, 15:38   #29
Senior - BHPian

There obsession with 5 series ! Since its a minor model change, nothing more to expect I guess. Not sure if 2.0 idtec would be ideal or they need a bigger one if introduced in India.
Old 7th May 2015, 16:04   #30
Senior - BHPian

A BMW wannabe. The rear three quarters look like a Beemer, a bit of Bangle influence too. The proportions are right, design is clean, front is boring!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks