Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2014, 10:18   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: August 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheshY1 View Post
What the hell happened to the City?
I think the sedan customers are now feeling inclined towards a hatch with the features of a sedan (a.k.a. Elite i20.) Not to mention all those features are also come a whole lot cheaper than the City.

I thought the Elite would eat into Swift and Dzire's share but it appears it is eating the City for lunch and then the home made Grand for desert due to the overlapping price range.
As already mentioned by another member
Quote:
City's production was on hault for August, as the production plant was being moved to a different location.
Also i would totally disagree with you on the i20 eating into the C+ segment. The comfort of owning a sedan is a different feeling all together and in India the boot sells.
karanraheja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 10:22   #47
Senior - BHPian

Few Observations:
Honda

1) Amaze enjoying the limelight as City goes for a fall.
2) Mobilio is basking on the new launch spotlight. But dont think it get sustain the nos. that Ertiga is currently managing post City coming full steam.
3) City, the perennial cash cow has been sacrificed for Mobilio. This is not a long term strategy and has more cone than pros.
4) Brio makes a 1000%+ increment over last month. Obviously, the production constraints are to blame. Yet, 12XX for a sub 6 lac car from Honda is surely a FLOP.

Maruti:
1) Yo-yo between the Alto and Dzire continues. Alto comes out tops this month.
2) Wagon R climbs 3% to its 13XXX levels. Always surprising to see a 20 yar old car in the top 5, seliing 10K levels month on month. It should be one of the biggest cash spinners for MSIL in terms of profits considering that the age ols die casts would have been depreciated to death by decades!!
3) Market hotting up for Ciaz. Expect some cannibalization of Dzire especially the Z trims.
4) Heck, even the Omni sells more than a lot of modern cars!!
5) Good to see the capable Ritz in the top 20. A little tweak here and there could have done wonders for this hatch.

FORD

1) The fiesta is a verified FLOP. 538 with Classic and Fiesta together is not a number Ford should be proud of. I strongly believe that the Fiesta was not marketed the way it should have. Also, add the production constraints, ASC attitude and general perception of Ford high maintenance and another great driver centric car is going to the funeral pyre!!

2) Figo. Where art thou? From a 65XX to 12XX. Its a big fall and it ay never recoup from here.

Other than the Eco sport, Ford is not going anywhere. The Ka based sedan also may not get the nos. the top brass may have set considering the bland interiors that spy pics depicts.

Tata

1) Zest: The nos. belies the hype. Expected approx. 6K + but nos at 2.5K surprised me. Is it the production challenges or the market is still growing up for a Tata notchback?
2) Another dismal month for the Nano. It is outsold by Storme, an SUV more that 6X the price. Where does this go from here?
3) Manza/Vista -Nothing to write home about. Same old 2.5K and likely to fall in the coming months if Zest picks up steam.

Hyundai

Only manufacturer other than MSIL to have rockstars in their band.

1) Elite has a block buster opening. Eon, Grand i10 and Xcent are in the 6K league.
2) Even the age old Santro is close to 3K nos.
3) Verna is slipping and is likely to be hit badly after Ciaz debuts.

Overall, a happy month for the Korean giants.

M&M

1) No major stars other that the regular Bolero. Yet, that is slipping. From the earlier 10K it is now at 6.5K. Facelift may be round the corner too.

2) XUV and Scorpio hold their forts respectively.
3) Surprising show by Xylo yet the nos. are not respectable by any standards
4) Verito/Vibe deserves to be axed along with the "bad after taste" Quanto
4) Have they stopped Thar production or the nos. are not shared?

Europeans

Other than the Polo, nothing great from their stables. Skoda and VW are both losing breath. They may have under estimated the giant Indian mindset and gave shoddy ASC, rogue dealers and unreliable products without any backing. They are facing the brunt now.
arnabchak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 03:40   #48
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the sales stat again it is no wonder that Maruti is leading in segments ranging from A to C1. I think the trend would continue for Maruti with CIAZ release (although with a tough competition). I am surprised though Omni and Eeco holding their ground still.

Elite I20 has started on a good note with 6k units in the first month of release. Should wait and watch how it goes in the coming months.

Is Mahindra stopped Thar or did nobody buy Thar in the month of August? Seems strange to see no units being sold in july too.

I am for one happy to see Punto clocking close to 1000 units. (Yes I am a fiat fanboy). Lets hope that this turns the trend for Fiat in a positive direction along with Avventura getting released soon.

Guess Brio has suddenly picked up sales too. As others have mentioned , City sales should pick up now that the factory has shifted to new plant.
Old 9th September 2014, 12:56   #49
BHPian

2014: Fiat sales figures in India + Market & Competitors

August 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-151267.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 9th September 2014 at 18:38. Reason: Re-uploading pictures. Please use ONLY the Team-BHP Attachment System for pictures. Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 16:38   #50
MYB
BHPian

One question comes to my mind every month I read the report "Who is buying all those Santros?"
Old 9th September 2014, 17:34   #51
BHPian

Despite being in India over 10+ years, the great Toyota has just 1 car in Top 20. Compare this with Suzuki - 8, Hyundai - 4 and Honda - 3. Surprising!
srameshdelhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 17:46   #52
Senior - BHPian

What happened to the City suddenly, dropping to three digit levels. Is this due to any manufacturing related issues or product mix adjustments to cater to the increased demand for the Amaze and Mobilio. Or is it that the prospective City byers are standing by for the launch of the Maruti Ciaz.

Last edited by rajeev k : 9th September 2014 at 17:48.
Old 9th September 2014, 18:02   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYB View Post
One question comes to my mind every month I read the report "Who is buying all those Santros?"
At the moment, the Santro is the vehicle of choice for Mumbai's taxi drivers. With the Premier Padmini taxis being phased out, the cabbies have decided that the Santro suits their needs the best.

Not saying I'm 100% right, but this could be a probable explanation.
Aditya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 19:25   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
What happened to the City suddenly, dropping to three digit levels. Is this due to any manufacturing related issues or product mix adjustments to cater to the increased demand for the Amaze and Mobilio. Or is it that the prospective City byers are standing by for the launch of the Maruti Ciaz.

Due to 10000+ bookings they got for Mobilio, they have cut down City production and making Mobilios. Expected to balance it out in 2 to 3 months time when Mobilio settles around 5000 per month.
Old 9th September 2014, 21:01   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYB View Post
Even bigger puzzle - Maruti sells some 5,000 Omnis every month! Just who is buying them??? Its a thirty-year old van with zero protection in case of a frontal impact.
Old 9th September 2014, 22:34   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifica View Post
Even bigger puzzle - Maruti sells some 5,000 Omnis every month! Just who is buying them??? Its a thirty-year old van with zero protection in case of a frontal impact.
I've seen people using that zero safety matchbox to ferry nursery/primary school kids and mini ambulances, apart from the omni-cargo van.
Old 9th September 2014, 22:46   #57
BHPian

Strange but true, 3 cars that are gaining traction:

1. Tata Aria
2. Maruti Ritz
3. Mahindra Xylo
Old 9th September 2014, 23:30   #58
BHPian

The sales figure fall in line with speculation. Sorry didnt follow the sales figure in the previous month. Only 74 Brios were sold in July!!!Must be some production issue?

The figures glaringly prove two points:
1. Theres no place for third world products/services in our market anymore. Its high time the likes of Datsun Go,GM SAIL,the Etios twins learn this.
2. Only if you are Maruti, you can sell the third world products. IMO the SPARK or even the Nano is a better car than the table topper 800.(coming from a Maruti fan, I bought the A star over Beat/i10 just because it was maruti)

Hope Ciaz changes the dynamics in the sedan segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400notout View Post
I've seen people using that zero safety matchbox to ferry nursery/primary school kids and mini ambulances, apart from the omni-cargo van.
I know of a family who have been buying Omnis from the time of its inception. They use the Omni for 4-5 years and buys a new one. Their 5th/6th Omni is still doing duty as I post on this thread. The reason being:
i> its chauffeur driver(Chauffeur would be a big word,driver would be apt) who abuses the car like hell and nothing happens to the machine.Anyway its cheap to replace,cheap to maintain.
ii> the elderlies prefer the omni over the other hatchbacks in the family. Reason:Knee joint problems
iii> its a van which can squeeze through narrow lanes.

Last edited by saion666 : 9th September 2014 at 23:56.
saion666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 23:58   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Surprising to note the contraption called Datsun GO reaching 1k mark.

Such a dud of a car, there is nothing in it which the competition does not better easily. No safety, no equipment, unknown after sales. Still surprised there are more than 1k people who actually bought it !
I thought the Datsun is more car for that price, I haven't checked the car but heard it is in the price range of Alto/Wagon R, they should launch a top version with safety features and bells & whistles to create a brand impression, right now it is perceived as lack luster or bare bones.
If Santro can sell, just on Hyundai muscle power, Datsun should sell competitively because of the price.
I definitely applaud efforts by makers that raise the bar, the bar either with features or VFM price or dynamics or quality or power. Helps keep other manufacturers grounded.

But what this also tells is Indian market is maturing, we are slowly shifting towards better interior quality and over all quality rather than down right price value. Explained by the dismal numbers of the price effective models like Nano or Datsun Go.

From what I have noted in case we look at the price brackets the market seems to multiply in the 4.5 L to 7.5 L bracket, this is where all that growth and sales figures are coming from, which means Indian market has moved upwards from the earlier 2.5L to 4L bracket, though this still holding its ground. Good for everyone, thanks to the growing aspirational Indian middle class.

Last edited by s_pphilip : 10th September 2014 at 00:07.
s_pphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 00:11   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Again my harping point. Whats wrong with new Fiesta? Good pricing and a good product. So whats happening there? Only tells there are no enough Fiesta being produced?

Even I see no major demand as well. Some thing does not add up there.
The problem with Fiesta is that it does not look nice - says the market!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks