Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2014, 10:26   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i10 View Post
Amaze's sales reflect confusion and inability to manage demand on Honda's part. One month they hit 9K, next month they are at 4K, the month after that they go up again.

The Elite i20 is off to a great start, but how it sustains would be interesting to see. Hyundai for sure would want Xcent and Grand i10 to clock MUCH more than they have been doing off late, particularly the Xcent.
The Elite i20 is an amazing looking car and it has every chance of sustaining a sales figure around 5k to 9k.

It is interesting to see what has contributed to Mahindra's raise.
Kratos453 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2014, 12:19   #107
BHPian

Re: August 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
They have really minted money out of the Omni mould-press as they did with the old 800.

but can anyone explain if the same 800cc engine used in the Maruti 800 is being used in the Omni (fitted differently ofcourse), how the latter was made compliant with the emission norms but not the former?
rahul4321 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2014, 13:58   #108
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Re: August 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
but can anyone explain if the same 800cc engine used in the Maruti 800 is being used in the Omni (fitted differently ofcourse), how the latter was made compliant with the emission norms but not the former?
The answer actually happens to be on-topic!

Yes, the reason why the M800 was discontinued is more because of sales, rather than emission norms.

The old warhorse that put the country on four wheels was managing to do about 1k - 2k units each month in the last phase of its very eventful life, while the Omni still manages to sell 5k - 6k units every month, even now.

The profit margin on both these vehicles was/is very, very good for Maruti Suzuki. Still, 1k - 2k units a month is very low by Maruti Suzuki standards for an entry level hatch, even if its only rival (the Tata Nano) struggles to match those numbers now.

I think they discontinued it since the numbers were perceived to be too low to justify maintaining an assembly line and inventory for the M800. They must have wanted to free up capacity for newer models, and also maximise sales of the Alto800 which (for all practical purposes) is the successor of both the old Alto and the even older M800.

Last edited by RSR : 2nd October 2014 at 14:02.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks