Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2015, 17:04   #451
BHPian

Re: The Indian Taxi Revolution - Uber, Ola, TaxiforSure, Meru etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Does Meru cab have in-the-taxi credit card machine for accepting trip payment in Mumbai ?
Meru cabs are supposed to have credit card machine, but sometimes you find them not working.
Old 23rd November 2015, 19:03   #452
Team-BHP Support

Meru haven't had a CC machine in their cabs for a while now (at least in Bangalore, Pune & NCR region where I've used their services), since they began offering e-wallet services (with Paytm, IIRC). Now it's either that or cash, no cards.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 23rd November 2015 at 19:05.
Old 24th November 2015, 11:26   #453
Senior - BHPian

Gah!@# any Windows phone users here?
Can you see the cash payment option in Uber?

I have tried reinstalling several times but I only see PayTM and international card options.
Old 24th November 2015, 12:53   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post

I have tried reinstalling several times but I only see PayTM and international card options.
I use Uber on Windows Phone. The app hasn't got the cash option till now. Stupid on Uber's part!
Old 24th November 2015, 13:58   #455
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
I use Uber on Windows Phone. The app hasn't got the cash option till now. Stupid on Uber's part!
I run iOS 9.1 and I don't see a cash payment option either.

Now, if the ride amount exceeds my paytm balance, I see a negative balance; earlier, the driver got a prompt saying amount X was being paid through paytm and amount Y was to be collected in cash.
Old 24th November 2015, 13:59   #456

Quote:

Quote:
The cash option doesn't depend on OS. I have got it in Android long time back, while another friend of mine hasn't got it yet. They are rolling it out gradually, possibly earlier to more frequent users.
Old 25th November 2015, 00:04   #457
BANNED

Does Uber allow pre-booking? Or is it only last minute?

I am looking for an option for early morning taxi to the airport in Bombay - 4:30 am etc . I used to use Tabcab but they have given me trouble last few times. Once they cancelled last minute. Once they were late and another time they came on time but they weren't sure till 10 minutes before. I am pretty sure irrespective of when you book - they started finding a taxi only in the last hour.

Would I be able to surely get a Uber at 4:00 am or 5:00 am or around that time? Or are there any other taxi operators who are very reliable?
Old 25th November 2015, 00:59   #458
BHPian

Ola allows pre-booking. Try them. Uber doesn't as far as I know.
Old 25th November 2015, 06:53   #459
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Ola allows pre-booking. Try them. Uber doesn't as far as I know.
Uber is all about real-time demand and supply booking.
They're great overall, but you need to be prepared for periodic surges in pricing on account of demand.
Ive used Uber across several cities, countries and indeed continents and for the most part, I ve ended up with a 10 Dollar ride or equivalent. Except of course in India and even Dubai and Singapore where the average has been about 3-4 Dollar equivalent.
It works beautifully for the most part, in my opinion. I don't like Uber Go - cheap and badly maintained cabs. I do like Uber X - good value, clean cars, friendly drivers.
Old 25th November 2015, 08:51   #460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
The app hasn't got the cash option till now. Stupid on Uber's part!
Even I did not get the cash as payment option when I installed Uber. it asked for the credit/debit card or Paytm as payment options. When I wrote to them, they came back saying that cash payment is rider specific. A few colleagues of mine in office who regularly use Uber were offered payment by cash option which means the more you use Uber, the quicker you become eligible for cash payment which IMO is a stupid logic by Uber. No doubt that cars offered by Uber are fantastic and good.

Now I have a payment of Rs 62/- to be made (rs 500/- was given a free ride when referred by friend). But I dont want to pay this by credit card. So now they are asking me to pay it by Paytm. I could have paid it by cash and finished it off. Due to this Uber did not allow me to book another cab recently. Had to rely on Ola cabs for the same.
Old 25th November 2015, 10:27   #461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Even I did not get the cash as payment option when I installed Uber. it asked for the credit/debit card or Paytm as payment options. When I wrote to them, they came back saying that cash payment is rider specific. A few colleagues of mine in office who regularly use Uber were offered payment by cash option which means the more you use Uber, the quicker you become eligible for cash payment which IMO is a stupid logic by Uber.
Do not think that is the case. In fact they should offer cash payment to people who do not use Uber a lot due to fears of online payment etc. I say this because I got the cash payment option even though I have used Uber just once in the past 12 months. I think the cash option is random.
Old 25th November 2015, 14:24   #462
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Ive used Uber across several cities, countries and indeed continents and for the most part, I ve ended up with a 10 Dollar ride or equivalent. Except of course in India and even Dubai and Singapore where the average has been about 3-4 Dollar equivalent.
SB- how did you find the service of Uber in a city like Dubai/Singapore where the local cab service is pretty decent? Reason I ask is when I travel I usually have only Wifi access on my smartphone, so is it worth it taking a data plan abroad to use Uber or similar apps?
Old 25th November 2015, 14:51   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
SB- how did you find the service of Uber in a city like Dubai/Singapore where the local cab service is pretty decent? Reason I ask is when I travel I usually have only Wifi access on my smartphone, so is it worth it taking a data plan abroad to use Uber or similar apps?
In Singapore, Bangkok, KL, the more popular app is Grabtaxi. Though Uber also exists. Not sure about Uber Dubai.

If you are staying for more than 1-2 days, I feel it's good to get a local SIM with phone and data. You should be able to get a pack with large amount of data plus calling for S$25-30 at most.
reverse_gear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 15:13   #464
Senior - BHPian

I plan to visit Mumbai for a day (arrive by morning flight and depart by a late evening flight) to shop for my house. I need a car for the entire day with driver. What are my options?
Old 14th January 2016, 15:56   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
I plan to visit Mumbai for a day (arrive by morning flight and depart by a late evening flight) to shop for my house. I need a car for the entire day with driver. What are my options?
Are you ok with driving in Indian traffic? If so http://www.zoomcar.in is a zipcar clone, and google maps will get you where you want to go.

Else if you really want a car with driver, you can get carzonrent (which used to be the hertz affiliate in India) at the mumbai airport, they have a counter there. And all the rest of the taxicab services will also be glad to work out a daily rate with you.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks