Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2017, 14:35   #226
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Behind the Scenes: How Press & Media Drives Work

Unbelievable - Honda flew journalists and their entire families to Hawaii for the Odyssey's press drive Link 1 & Link 2 .

I'd never be comfortable flying my family out for a press drive event.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 14:51   #227
BANNED

With this latest stunt, Honda has raised ethical issues. It would be difficult for ordinary people to refuse such largesse and then not to give a good review for the product. This can become a precedent, hope more don't follow suit. If not people will eventually make out the truth and the reviewers would have lost credibility beyond repair. To stay relevant in the long run, I believe one has to have an integrity. Easier said than done.
The Rationalist is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 15:50   #228
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Unbelievable - Honda flew journalists and their entire families to Hawaii for the Odyssey's press drive Link 1 & Link 2 .

Considering it is a family van in the US, its kind of smart to let the journalists sample it with their own family so they could have used all the features.
Akshay1234 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 16:50   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I agree. Mind you, things are a little bit different in the USA when it comes to these sort of things. In business relationships it’s not unusual at all for both sides to bring their partners along to dinners, entertainment etc.

As far as I know, tax deductible too! So, whilst it’s probably perfectly legal, especially in terms of relationships with the press, I would think it to be more prudent not to do so.

Interestingly this guy disclosed it himself up front, not as if he tried to hide it. But still, especially as a press representative I would think a more neutral stance would be beneficial/expected by your audience.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 16:59   #230
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

True and I agree with Akshay1234. This is actually the best way to review a mini van. There's no point in reviewing handling and ride for a mini van. This was very unique.

However there is a moral dilemma as you mentioned.

Moreover, it must be a nightmare for the PR/ event management company to manage logistics. I can't imagine the chaos over dinner with kids and wives of the journos not knowing who the others are but at the same event. Entertainment guaranteed.

What I really liked about TTAC was they refused the social media checking in and tagging and probably the sound and video bytes which we usually don't subscribe to as well

Last edited by Vid6639 : 19th May 2017 at 17:01.
Vid6639 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 08:59   #231
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
Considering it is a family van in the US, its kind of smart to let the journalists sample it with their own family so they could have used all the features.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
True and I agree with Akshay1234. This is actually the best way to review a mini van. There's no point in reviewing handling and ride for a mini van. This was very unique.
I see your POV, but still think it's a horrible idea.

1. What the Odyssey is to the USA, the Innova is to us. We evaluated every possible bit about that car without taking the family along - link.

2. If a journalist indeed wants to take his family's inputs, call for the media vehicle in your hometown (after the media drive).

3. Frankly, non-car inclined family members offer a few sprinkling comments at best. While they are valuable, they are far & few between. The ability to accurately review cars is a skill, but one which has no formal education.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 31st August 2017, 13:06   #232
GTO
Team-BHP Support

VW's attention to detail

You know, when we go for media drives, we usually get a 1 or 2 page handout on the car. Not with VW - just got to respect their attention to detail. At the Tiguan drive, VW handed out a high quality, comprehensive booklet that covered everything about the event, important contact numbers (support staff), the car, driving route, hotel etc.

I just love it when people do a great job. It shows commitment. Sharing a select few scans (actual booklet was 40 pages long!):
Behind the Scenes: How Press & Media Drives Work-1.jpg

Behind the Scenes: How Press & Media Drives Work-2.jpg

Behind the Scenes: How Press & Media Drives Work-4.jpg

Behind the Scenes: How Press & Media Drives Work-5.jpg

Behind the Scenes: How Press & Media Drives Work-6.jpg

Behind the Scenes: How Press & Media Drives Work-8.jpg

Behind the Scenes: How Press & Media Drives Work-17.jpg

Behind the Scenes: How Press & Media Drives Work-19.jpg

Behind the Scenes: How Press & Media Drives Work-23.jpg

Behind the Scenes: How Press & Media Drives Work-24.jpg

Behind the Scenes: How Press & Media Drives Work-25.jpg

Behind the Scenes: How Press & Media Drives Work-27.jpg

Behind the Scenes: How Press & Media Drives Work-28.jpg

Behind the Scenes: How Press & Media Drives Work-29.jpg

Behind the Scenes: How Press & Media Drives Work-33.jpg

Behind the Scenes: How Press & Media Drives Work-34.jpg

In comparison, this is all we got at the Compass drive :
Behind the Scenes: How Press & Media Drives Work-jeep-compass.jpg
GTO is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 31st August 2017, 14:40   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
At the Tiguan drive...
When did this happen? It's not fair that a media drive happens in my backyard and I am not aware of it. I could have been the waterboy/12th man of the teambhp entourage .

Am eagerly waiting for the drive report, more so because it has been consistently raining in this part for the past few days and Tiguan would have been at home traversing the slippery slopes of the western ghats.

Nevertheless, I agree with your point that sufficient information should be made available to the media along with the cars. Any journalist worth his salt will go through the brochure and have a clear idea about what to expect even before turning on the ignition.
dailydriver is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st August 2017, 14:58   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
When did this happen? It's not fair that a media drive happens in my backyard and I am not aware of it. I could have been the waterboy/12th man of the teambhp entourage
+1 to that DD.

I would be happy to volunteer being the substitute for the waterboy/12th man of the teambhp entourage

I was at Chikmagalur just 10 days ago covering the important places and the weather is just perfect to drive around that magical place again and again.
Keynote is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 17:18   #235
GTO
Team-BHP Support

It's a mad race to be out with your review first, even if quality has to take a hike. "Clicks" & "views" count, not the substance.

Yesterday was the start of the Skoda Kodiaq drive. Vid6639 & Samurai were there. Everyone got the car at about the same time. Imagine my surprise when I see the first lot of reviews coming up within 2 hours of the car being handed over to journalists . In two hours, people have driven the car enough to make sweeping opinions, completely studied the interiors, taken pictures, written the review & published it .

I would take a little more time for a showroom test-drive. Heck, thinking through & writing this simple recent thread of mine took more than 2 hours, and it's not even a review or got any pictures!

When it comes to reviews, pick any two from accuracy, comprehensiveness & time. You can't have all three.

Last edited by GTO : 27th September 2017 at 17:25.
GTO is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 17:52   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
first lot of reviews coming up within 2 hours of the car being handed over to journalists . In two hours, people have driven the car enough to make sweeping opinions, completely studied the interiors, taken pictures, written the review & published it
Its easy to throw filth than cook a meal

There were only 3 websites I referred during my 10 months stint on purchasing a car.
1. Manufacturer's website
2. YouTube
3. Needless to say...TBhp

All other website were 100% pure unadulterated J.U.N.K. Video reviews (don't want to mention name here) are better, they deliver the intended message in short time, but, for a purchasing decision, there's much more required than the short, masala filled, stunt oriented show!!
aargee is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 18:15   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's a mad race to be out with your review first, even if quality has to take a hike. "Clicks" & "views" count, not the substance.
Well I am sure Team BHP reviews would be among the top viewed & liked reviews irrespective of when they are published! I wish the others take some cues from this fact
AkMar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 19:55   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When it comes to reviews, pick any two from accuracy, comprehensiveness & time. You can't have all three.
Can't dispute this at all. The current gen media eats, drinks, feeds and thrives on Breaking News. It is a game of one upmanship, victory being considered the handmaiden of the one who aces the the first past the post challenge.

Integrity, validity and veracity of news are no longer cared for. Opinions are tossed about like pebbles.

GTO, believe me, you are fortunate enough not to have witnessed the auto shows that make periodical appearances on local news channels. You would, if you could understand what would be said there, borrow Bhpian shajufx's gun and charter a flight to Bengaluru (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...ml#post4244850.

To borrow a local phrase, our reviews might sometimes be late, but they are always the latest (read up-to-date, comprehensive, unbiased). Most importantly, all our reviews stand the test of time.
dailydriver is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 15:06   #239
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yesterday was the start of the Skoda Kodiaq drive. Vid6639 & Samurai were there. Everyone got the car at about the same time. Imagine my surprise when I see the first lot of reviews coming up within 2 hours of the car being handed over to journalists . In two hours, people have driven the car enough to make sweeping opinions, completely studied the interiors, taken pictures, written the review & published it . .
While I agree 90% of the time, I would not be too hasty in coming to a judgement. In the case, the 10% against this thought might be considered as some of these folks have already spent time with the Kodiaq during the overseas launch and only need to note the contextual aspects in terms of driving in Indian conditions. There is also the chance that they unofficially had an early bird opportunity before the official drive.
ajmat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 15:38   #240
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In the case, the 10% against this thought might be considered as some of these folks have already spent time with the Kodiaq during the overseas launch and only need to note the contextual aspects in terms of driving in Indian conditions.
GTO, you must read the underlying wishes of fellow moderator, looks you will have to increase budget and plan more Overseas trips of your team

Last edited by Turbanator : 28th September 2017 at 15:39.
Turbanator is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks