Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2015, 19:09   #46
BHPian

Re: Power of 1+1: Tata GenX Nano pre-launch exchange programme for existing Nano owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Unfortunately, even the newly constructed flats in most cities very rarely have double car parking and hence the second car would be something a lot of people would just discard even if they can afford. These are all potential Nano customers. Probably Tata Motors should venture into real estate first and build flats with 2 car park before pushing for Nano sales!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
The only reason I bought this car last year was because I could fit this in my existing car parking. I park it as a 'T' with my other car. I saved 1lk straight away as I didn't have to buy another parking spot in my apartment complex.
For tight parking spots, Nano is THE car. I had just mentioned this on this thread. I don't have a dedicated parking for my Nano. I park my Figo and Nano in the same spot (as a T). If the parking spot can accomodate a sedan, it can probably accomodate a hatch and a Nano.
shifu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 21:25   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Power of 1+1: Tata GenX Nano pre-launch exchange programme for existing Nano owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
Hope Tata can price it at below 3.5L on-road.
Was talking to the CLC financer of our company. Ex-showroom price in BLR would be 3.08L

Roadtax - 36k
Insurance - 10k
AMC - 3.5k
Extended wty - 3k (?)

OTR Total without discounts in BLR : 3.6L

Is a little high, IMO. We can expect some "festival discounts" soon ?
condor is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 23:43   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Keeping all the other aspects apart, I just hope they wont give nonsense valuation for the incoming Nanos. At least Tata themselves should offer decent buyback prices if they want customers to exchange their old cars. Last time when the Nano Twist was launched, my uncle went in for exchanging his 18 month old 4k km run Nano for exchange. He was given a value of 55k. Come on, I haven't heard of a better joke than that. That is how they axe their own foot.
I think its more a case of (less-than-ideal) business acumen. They run pre-owned cars and new cars as completely different businesses, and want both to be profitable in their own right, instead of using one as a "hook" to retain customers- maybe at a marginal/realistic profit target. I found this out when I had gone to sell my extremely well maintained Indica eV2. Toyota can get away with this strategy, maybe even Maruti...but can Tata? Honda, for example, offered me a mouth watering value for my Civic, provided I bought another Honda....and went ahead to offer another great deal on the Accord. I did not go for it, but that is the strategy Tatas should take IMO.

I hope their new CEO really applies his mind on these strategic issues.
Old 23rd April 2015, 09:25   #49
Senior - BHPian

TML is confused on the marketing strategy. They have no idea on how purchase decisions are made in India or they are paying to some overseas marketing firm expecting a big turnaround in their business.

- Since this is a entry level car, may be for all psychological analysis, it can be placed below MSIL 800 / Alto 800 (no offence to anyone owning the car), TML cannot do anything with brand association and brand retention, but they should certainly do something with the product association; they have made several improvements in the car, yet it has not reached the level, wherein the perspective buyer can connect / relate with the product and neither their marketing teams nor sales are able to come up to it, leave aside the product design and approval team, which seem to the equally clueless.

* Central console has been a failure with all products in India, TML wants to keep it for their next revision, well please do by all means
* Different size of tires (I am not sure if this has been addressed)?
* Odd location of fuel filling lid (I have never seen such hilarious placement)?

Right from the launch of this facelift, they are offering discounts (even if it is indirect) why? they should have faith in the product, which I am sure everyone in the hierarchy has lost by now and its been pulled around just that Mr. Ratan Tata wanted it, so the whole company is shouldering it, but at what price point - I still remember RT's interview making tall claims of offering a 4 wheeler @ USD 2000 to Indian. Well at present price point, its touching MSIL territory and I bet its made of steel, quite difficult to breach.

Why don't they just focus on Kite, work on it bring it to the market and move on? why so much of fuss on a failure, it is hitting their bottom-line now, the Nano facility is operating at less than 20%, is this not criminal towards the shareholders of the company?

Good luck to those who are planning and I hope that don't come to market next year when TML comes up with the next facelift of Nano and offers similar 50k kind of ridicules buy back value for their existing cars. TML - by doing so, you are not only ridiculing your customer, you are also ridiculing your product and your company.

Cheers !

Last edited by i74js : 23rd April 2015 at 09:27.
i74js is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2015, 10:53   #50
BHPian

Just now I called up the Concorde Motors in Delhi.
here is the heads up I got from the Sales Rep.

1) Launch first week of May
2) Deliveries from Mid-May
3) No test drives yet (might commence coming Monday)
4) Bookings have begun with token amount of 10k which I was told is fully refundable when I asked.
5) There will be 6 colours, purple, gold, white and silver and two new ones, one of which is possibly called Rose Red. However the sales chap was not too sure on this.
avingodb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2015, 11:45   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
2) Deliveries from Mid-May

5) There will be 6 colours, purple, gold, white and silver and two new ones, one of which is possibly called Rose Red. However the sales chap was not too sure on this.
Bookings should open this week, while deliveries from 3rd week of May (18/19th).

The two additional colors - as has been reported: the Sangria Red (approxmiately similar to the reddish Zest /Bolt. The other color is Persian Rose. .
Old 23rd April 2015, 12:03   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
* Central console has been a failure with all products in India, TML wants to keep it for their next revision, well please do by all means
Agree with you .But its not that bad .People will get used to it.
Quote:

* Different size of tires (I am not sure if this has been addressed)?
I do not believe this is an issue as such. There are other cars (not in India though) which has this difference .Please note that the difference is not in the size but the width. All the tyres in nano are R 12

Quote:

* Odd location of fuel filling lid (I have never seen such hilarious placement)?
Well all they need to do is to make a provision to fill fuel without opening the bonnet. Possible cost saving here which should have been avoided. Most of the rear engine cars have the fuel lid near the front but almost all of them does not require the bonnet to be opened for filing !
Old 23rd April 2015, 12:31   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Apologies if it sounded as if I took it personally. I didn't. As informed car buyers on a forum like TeamBHP I assumed that people buy cars according to their merit and not herd-mentality. I don't think any changes Tata make to the Nano are going to make it a roaring success. It does not matter to me either. To me it is a brilliantly packaged and priced car which costs very little (50% of what the cheapest Maruti would, at MASS) to maintain.

I was part of the Suzuki team in Japan which did the biopsy of the Nano many years ago. And if Suzuki could have brought in a cheaper product, they would have. Says a lot about Tata's engineering effort.

Also I was part of the design and development team for all the Maruti cars you see on the road right now. So let us just say I know what goes inside what.

I am no fanboy of Tata either (just in case I sound like one). The other three cars I have owned were a Zen, AltoK10 and a Ritz. But if I see that a Tata car gives me the best value, I will buy that and not go by sales charts / popular opinion.
No problem at all. I agree, I buy my cars on their merits too but you know with the 21.1 kmpl ARAI mileage (which is okay, not that great considering an ALTO 800 has a 22.74kmpl rating) the underpowered engine, I am just not tempted with the AMT. Petrols have a super light clutch anyway, so with the AMT there has to be a lot of things more to be tempted towards one. Nano has improved a lot over time, but improved with respect to the NANO, the other cars in the segment already had a power steering and most of all a boot behind, not to mention they went fast too (now this is with respect to NANO)

Secondly someone buying a car today in Bangalore or say Mumbai, will want to take it someday to Ooty/Kodaikanal, Lonavala, Mahabaleshwar etc etc. Although they might term it as a city run car, this thing is always on the back of most people's mind in India and Indian highways have improved so much that the 35 bhp just won't cut it, it needs a new heart.

You know the Indian car market has been proof that products which have lost their sheen the first time, have never bounced back. Zen Estilo, Tata Aria, Chevrolet Sail, UVA.

Although it's a personal choice for people to like or dislike something if I were TATA, I would retire products that don't work instead of spending anything on them and just move on. Lots of segments are still unexplored, lots of new cars can be made and lots of lost sheen can be brought back. History has a lot of lessons to learn if only we know where to look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Was talking to the CLC financer of our company. Ex-showroom price in BLR would be 3.08L

Roadtax - 36k
Insurance - 10k
AMC - 3.5k
Extended wty - 3k (?)

OTR Total without discounts in BLR : 3.6L

Is a little high, IMO. We can expect some "festival discounts" soon ?

That is quite high a price.
Old 23rd April 2015, 15:20   #54
BHPian

I have a Tata Nano as my second car and would like to put in my observation.It has run 35000 kms and put to lot of rough use. So far it has not given any expenses apart from the regular service and wear and tear. Thigh support is amazing. AC is very powerful. Driving is fun. On the negative side, irritating engine sound like auto,awkward fuel filling by opening bonnet,non openable boot and very poor resale value. TASS is ok. Utility wise, it is one of the perfect compact cars.
TOINGPOING is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2015, 18:38   #55
BHPian

A comment on OTR at 3.6 approximately. When I purchased Twist last October, the price was approx 2.96. However, there was an attractive discount of 50K and the reason why I picked it up. Now, the AMT being priced 64K extra is not shocking and on expected lines. This is assuming that the AMT variant is fully loaded one.
Old 23rd April 2015, 18:56   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTLovesNano View Post
A comment on OTR at 3.6 approximately. When I purchased Twist last October, the price was approx 2.96. However, there was an attractive discount of 50K and the reason why I picked it up. Now, the AMT being priced 64K extra is not shocking and on expected lines. This is assuming that the AMT variant is fully loaded one.
3.6 lakhs is quite high for what they are offering. From what I could observe in the pictures, the dash get some cosmetic changes, same Amphistream music system, better looking headlamps, round fog lamps and the smiley front grills. Add to this the AMT and the openable hatch, 64K extra seems too much. Nano GenX now is in the Alto 800 price range (even an LXi with some discounts) and potential new customers may be swayed by the prospects of a more powerful and way more smoother Alto 800.

Tata needs to understand what they are selling, the Nano can better the 800 in only a few areas and this cannot command such a premium pricing. At 3.6 L, I'd say it will just be free advertisement for the 800, only a few niche customers will be tempted for the benefits of the AMT.

Around 3 OTR, after all the discounts and bonuses would be more practical.
sun_king is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2015, 20:18   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, please note that:

1. The OTR price of 3.6L is approxmiate at this point. It is based on the Ex-Showroom price mentioned by the CLC financing company. Let us wait for another week when the prices will be announced

2. The price I mentioned is for Bangalore - which is normally on the higher side compared to most other states.

3. The increase is not 64k. It is about 35-40k, which is mostly the incremental price of the AMT unit. And this differential is on par as with other models that use AMT.

4. Also, pls leave out any discounts on the current models in your calculations.

Quote:
TOINGPOING : On the negative side, irritating engine sound like auto, ...
This was the case with the pre-Twist models. We drove a Twist TD vehicle - and inspite of the abuse, it was quite silent. I stalled it a few times, and when I re-started, I could hardly hear a difference in the sound (from engine).
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 00:44   #58
BHPian

Though the looks can't be said as a really improved one, the functionality of the AMT and openable and usable 110 liter boot is really great! The fact that there have been Nano users for more than five years (mine is almost 5 years old) and that a great majority had mentioned it to be reliable and good is itself a certificate for the vehicle.

Would have loved a tad more power and disc brakes at front. I'm not sure if this will be present in the update.

In a market where a tiny car like the Alto AMT can sell at 4.55 lacs, the Nano should be a good choice at around 1.2 - 1.4 lacs lesser considering the 623cc vs 800cc, 4 speed vs 5 speed gearbox and other small factors. But i sincerely hope that they launch a bigger engine (800cc) as it'l make wonders in terms of perception of the car.

I would love to upgrade mine to an AMT but only after a test-drive, mainly because I need to feel a need to upgrade. Yes, manual is tiring during long hours of driving in the city especially with traffic worsening day by day. Also since the resale value would be dismal, it gives space for rethinking of selling off the car. I'l have to wait and watch.

Cheers!
Old 24th April 2015, 02:13   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutoos View Post
@sun_king

Any where in the range of 2.1 - 2.2 lakhs. Moreover, the exchange will depend on

1. The price for the GENX
2. Review on tBHP to see if the new GENX offers more value adds
The cost of new Twist is 2.03 lacs after discount of 45k. So expecting that amount is a little higher.

Moreover the reason for a 45k discount is to accommodate the Active at a very attractive price point and possibly <3lacs ex-showroom.

Let's wait and watch. I am one of the probables for the AMT for my better half.
Old 24th April 2015, 02:19   #60
Senior - BHPian

Power of 1+1: Tata GenX Nano pre-launch exchange programme for existing Nano ...

I won't prefer to give away my '10 Nano for the AMT one.

Reason being the gear shift is one that'll give me the closest feel to what a GoKart stick shift feels like. Also, obviously they'll undervalue the car to help dealerships build revenues in the used car division.

But anyway, let's see, depends on the overall features.

I only hope Tata Motors will keep a sensible launch price atleast in the Introductory phase (so the initial hiccups & hesitations are overridden and the masses accept the car), because Cyrus Mistry has given a deadline for the company to turn it to a success OR to wrap up the Nano offering altogether.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 24th April 2015 at 02:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks