Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2015, 19:38   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Power of 1+1: Tata GenX Nano pre-launch exchange programme for existing Nano owners

I am surprised to read comments like underpowered engine compared to alto etc. I own an alto and i have driven Nano 100 times. Truly speaking the alto sucks. I am speaking about the 800cc alto. The K10 is hoot to drive.
Alto dies as soon as the AC is put on. The nano drives effortlessly with the given power:weight ratio and the USP of rear wheel drive. The AC on nano is very good too.
The space and comfort on nano is any time better than alto. Given the option of AMT, Nano is always a better buy than alto 800.
I also read a comment here that maruti will choke TATA for the supply of AMT, boss maruti itself buys it from the Fiat subsidiary. Fiat has better terms with TATA period.
Old 6th May 2015, 20:14   #92
BHPian

Re: Power of 1+1: Tata GenX Nano pre-launch exchange programme for existing Nano owners

After reading some reviews and thinking again and again, I've pulled off my decision to upgrade to the Nano GenX ! Reasons being -

1) With the way Tata evaluates old cars, the maximum ( read: ultra maximum) I'l be offered would be 1 lac for my existing 2010 Nano LX - in which I already have fit a music system and replaced the A/C cooling unit very recently.

2) Then I'll have to shell out a minimum of an additional 2 lacs (that was the on-road price of my Nano LX in 2010! ) to get a GenX manual version or anywhere close to 2.4 lacs for the AMT.

3) Again, if I intend to sell the Nano GenX at any point, the resale would be a disaster!

4) The GenX manual, compared to my nano, has an extra openable boot and an EPS but nothing more (leaving behind the better quality plastics, etc). Frankly, I can live without an openable boot right now - one,being used to it & secondly since it's a second car for us here.

5) If I sell my nano and shell out an additional 2.5 to 3 lacs, I can easily get way better used cars ( though better, they can't match the small size related positives of the nano)

6) AMT is not much a necessity for me.

The only other option that I'm thinking about is regarding the residual stocks of the Twist which might be sold for huge discounts or even about people who are exchanging the twist for the new one. In such cases, by spending another 50 k to 60 k, i can get the most important feature, the EPS, and save the other 1.5 lacs that I need to pay for the openable boot. So I'm sitting wide-eyed here looking for these options!
freakmuzik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 20:21   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Fiat has better terms with TATA period.
Wait! How?
Is it because of TATA-Fiat joint venture that did no good to Fiat?
Is it because of the meager number of engines that they buy from Fiat compared to Maruti?
Is it because the Nano AMT can garner astonishing demand for the AMT boxes which will outrun Maruti?

Sorry to say, but there is no reason why Maruti will have to 'choke' the supply of AMT boxes, nor will there be reason why Fiat will 'favor' Tata motors just because they are supposed to be having better terms with them.

Car to car, I will find the Nano AMT a better buy compared to an alto 800 since the nano will offer me more than what that the alto offers, at a lesser price. But in the corporate game, Maruti is promising numbers, and the Alto already has a long wait for its AMT. This gives Magnetti Marelli an assured customer, who is providing consistent sales of its AMT. Now if at all Tata wants to enter this game, they should provide the same assurance to the vendor. If you read about the plight of Nano part vendors, you will understand why the whole plan bombed big time. Seeing this, Tata will always be a secondary customer for Magnetti, and unless they in the coming months show steady increase in demand, will remain as a secondary customer. I dont think it is otherwise, else if there is something I am missing, welcome for corrections. Simple logic is used here.
Old 6th May 2015, 21:05   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Wait! How?
Is it because of TATA-Fiat joint venture that did no good to Fiat?
Is it because of the meager number of engines that they buy from Fiat compared to Maruti?
Is it because the Nano AMT can garner astonishing demand for the AMT boxes which will outrun Maruti?

Sorry to say, but there is no reason why Maruti will have to 'choke' the supply of AMT boxes, nor will there be reason why Fiat will 'favor' Tata motors just because they are supposed to be having better terms with them.

Car to car, I will find the Nano AMT a better buy compared to an alto 800 since the nano will offer me more than what that the alto offers, at a lesser price. But in the corporate game, Maruti is promising numbers, and the Alto already has a long wait for its AMT. This gives Magnetti Marelli an assured customer, who is providing consistent sales of its AMT. Now if at all Tata wants to enter this game, they should provide the same assurance to the vendor. If you read about the plight of Nano part vendors, you will understand why the whole plan bombed big time. Seeing this, Tata will always be a secondary customer for Magnetti, and unless they in the coming months show steady increase in demand, will remain as a secondary customer. I dont think it is otherwise, else if there is something I am missing, welcome for corrections. Simple logic is used here.
Things are deeper than what we really see. Also consider tata runs the fiat assembly lines. Fiat assembles 99% tata cars and 1% their own cars.
Old 6th May 2015, 21:20   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Things are deeper than what we really see. Also consider tata runs the fiat assembly lines. Fiat assembles 99% tata cars and 1% their own cars.
Yes, but neither seems to be making any good out of it right? It is just that Tata got good assembly lines and Fiat made use of their installed capacity. Progress shown by either companies is bleak.
Old 6th May 2015, 21:28   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Yes, but neither seems to be making any good out of it right? It is just that Tata got good assembly lines and Fiat made use of their installed capacity. Progress shown by either companies is bleak.
We are now really drifting from the main topic towards the performance of these two companies.
Old 6th May 2015, 22:24   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
As has already been said in the reviews, the hatch can be opened only when the engine is off. Must be a safety feature, though not sure why.

Hopefully the mall security guys wont realise that this boot can be opened.
Well if you need a key to open it, shouldn't it be taken out from the ignition? (That is if you don't carry the spare key around.)

I don't think this is a safety feature because we can open the boot of the current Nano with the engine running. Opening it from the rear does not change much other than the exposure to the exhaust gases.

And out of engineering curiosity, assuming that the hatch cannot be opened with the engine running, just how will the locking mechanism figure out if the engine is running?

Handing over the keys to the security folks is nothing new, I had done that for years with my old Alto.

@nijelj: Any talk about the pricing?
Old 6th May 2015, 22:26   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun_king View Post

@nijelj: Any talk about the pricing?
No. They said that it'll be public only on 15th May.
Old 7th May 2015, 00:38   #99
BHPian

Tata seems to be pulling out all stops and leave nothing to chance when it comes to marketing the GenX this time over. I got a call a few days back from their sales team saying they would like to do an AV shoot with some early customers prior to the May 19th launch. It happened today at the Prerana motors' showroom in Bangalore.
A pretty good professional event management team from Mumbai is doing it in the metros - they are flying out to Delhi tomorrow.It was a fun and break-from-routine for my family as well with the lights-camera-action thingy going on :-) Questions were standard - Why the GenX for your family ?What features are you looking forward to ? Are you aware of the Sports mode and the Creep function ? etc.Separate questions to my wife too !
No other benefits though since we had to sign a deal saying we wont ask TML for money even if I turn out to be tomorrow's Salman Khan because of the video , err.. wrong timing today. ok say , Shah Rukh Khan
Also the manual GenX is on display from today in all showrooms and they said the AMT is in transit, hopefully available for TD before 15th.
mail2sekh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 12:01   #100
BHPian

I got a call from Tata as well. Went and got my Nano Twist evaluated. They offered me 1.55 L + exchange bonus of 20 K. My Twist is a Nov 2014 model for which i paid 2.5 L in Bengaluru.

The executive also mentioned that the AMT would be priced between 3.7 to 3.9 L.
rangan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 12:10   #101
BHPian

I got a call from Concorde motors yet again this time offering "estimated valuation" of my 18k km and nearly 4 year old Gen 1 Nano. The fellow on the other end of line said 45K.
I politely said thank you and goodbye!

I think I can live with my Nano for another 2/3 years before considering the upgrade.
avingodb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 15:13   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
I got a call from Concorde motors yet again this time offering "estimated valuation" of my 18k km and nearly 4 year old Gen 1 Nano. The fellow on the other end of line said 45K.
I politely said thank you and goodbye!

I think I can live with my Nano for another 2/3 years before considering the upgrade.
You should have told him that you are ready to pick up the Nano AMT 4 years down the line for 45K

Seriously, 45K! Is that all the confidence they have in their own products
Old 20th May 2015, 18:18   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangan View Post
I got a call from Tata as well. Went and got my Nano Twist evaluated. They offered me 1.55 L + exchange bonus of 20 K. My Twist is a Nov 2014 model for which i paid 2.5 L in Bengaluru.

The executive also mentioned that the AMT would be priced between 3.7 to 3.9 L.
I got an offer of 1.6L + 20K exchange bonus for my December 2014 Nano Twist, not even 5 months old to date and with less than 1200 km on the ODO. That is a whopping 85,000 drop in less than five months time (65,000 if you consider the bonus). The evaluator said that they don't consider the OTR for computing the depreciation, the evaluation is based on the ex-showroom price.

The irritating part is that in December 2014 one Tata showroom demanded 1.9L for a 2012 (Non-refresh) Nano LX. I stopped short of telling what they can do with it and headed to another showroom and bought the 2014 Twist for 2.03L ex-showroom.

TBHP Classifieds do more justice (http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...ata/Nano.html/)

Now seriously considering to wait for the Alto 800 AMT or the Renault KWID AMT. Maruti, at least gives a better pricing for their own products, not so sure about Renault, but willing to take the risk out of sheer spite.

Is the "Tata, Nano" club getting a membership boost?
Old 20th May 2015, 19:39   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun_king View Post
I got an offer of 1.6L + 20K exchange bonus for my December 2014 Nano Twist, not even 5 months old to date and with less than 1200 km on the ODO. That is a whopping 85,000 drop in less than five months time (65,000 if you consider the bonus). The evaluator said that they don't consider the OTR for computing the depreciation, the evaluation is based on the ex-showroom price.

The irritating part is that in December 2014 one Tata showroom demanded 1.9L for a 2012 (Non-refresh) Nano LX. I stopped short of telling what they can do with it and headed to another showroom and bought the 2014 Twist for 2.03L ex-showroom.

TBHP Classifieds do more justice (http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...ata/Nano.html/)

Now seriously considering to wait for the Alto 800 AMT or the Renault KWID AMT. Maruti, at least gives a better pricing for their own products, not so sure about Renault, but willing to take the risk out of sheer spite.

Is the "Tata, Nano" club getting a membership boost?

There's a reason that your Nano has been valued for 1.8 L. I too checked for some used Nano twists out in the market being valued for 1.6 to 1.8 L. That is purely because you can buy yourself a Brand New twist for Rs. 2.2 (on-road). So I think it's always a comparison with the present day on-road price and not our purchase price!

Plus it seems Nano has worst resale in metros compared to tier 2 or tier 3 cities. In trivandrum, I see Nano s in every nook and corner while in Chennai or Bangalore, I hardly find a few around me.

BTW, i got my Nano 2010 LX, run 36,000 kms valued at Rs.65,000 + Rs. 20,000 = Rs. 85,000/- right after initial inspection which was way better than what all the used car dealers I met offered me. The hard truth is - Nano has no re-sale value and we can't expect TATA to buy back their cars for awesome cash as they'l once again have to dispose them off at market rates. This will not change unless and untill TATA earns a better reputation among the masses.

And the only reason I'm not upgrading my Nano for a GenX is because I can't bear another loss of 2.5 lacs down in three years while I get the itch to upgrade the GenX. Hence, I've decided wait for two years, save cash and get myself a bigger car then. Or maybe upgrade to the GenX when they bring out Rs. 60,000 offers on them too
Old 20th May 2015, 19:59   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
There's a reason that your Nano has been valued for 1.8 L. I too checked for some used Nano twists out in the market being valued for 1.6 to 1.8 L. That is purely because you can buy yourself a Brand New twist for Rs. 2.2 (on-road). So I think it's always a comparison with the present day on-road price and not our purchase price!
Out of curiosity, which new Twist is available on road for 2.2L. The attachment has the price list I got today, even with a 50K discount, you wont get the cheapest Twist for less than 2.4L.

Ahhh, forgot to rotate the document after scanning
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Nano_pricing_19May15.pdf (296.1 KB, 242 views)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks