Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2016, 14:03   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: VW's Polo-based compact sedan, Ameo unveiled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinodh_Gowda View Post

What was the need for VW to come up with such a chop-boot job?
Competition my friend !!

India is no longer a dump-yard for non-successful or old international cars and even an auto giant like VW have realised this now. Though they are probably the last ones to the sub 4m melee, they knew it was now or never. There is a large chunk of buyers in India who would rather buy a base variant of Sedan than a fully loaded variant of a Hatchback, more often than not, for social status.

VW only have a Polo/Vento, which is either too cramped or quite a bit pricey. The proclaimed 'Ameo' fills this void completely.

When Maruti are feeling the 'Cut-Throat' competition heat even with the best network and models across all variants, Im sure VW finally figured out that having only Polo & Vento will get them only so far in the Indian market.

Though it has been tough for VW in the recent past, with all the acquisitions and allegations fresh in people's mind, they will have some other offering to 'Mango' people from a brand, which still is considered a premium by many

Premium Cheaters - YESSSS, One of the Biggest Auto Companies - YOU BET !!

Last edited by Vik0728 : 8th January 2016 at 14:09.
Vik0728 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 14:32   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Competition my friend !!
Premium Cheaters - YESSSS, One of the Biggest Auto Companies - YOU BET !!
How can this fill the void if it is to be priced as a PREMIUM offering. Buyers would rather prefer having an i20 (A proper premium offering) than buying this chop-boot thing, but yes some might fall for that small extention referred to as the boot in these CS.

Well being premium cheaters set aside, I was talking about why ruin the design of a handsome sedan like the Vento.
Old 8th January 2016, 14:36   #93
Senior - BHPian

Th 1.2 NA petrol will anyways be dead on arrival. The 1.5 diesel Polo is already at a significant premium price compared to the competition. Where will Ameo find the pricing space. VW have a good chance to introduce a detuned 1.2 MT TSI @ 90 hp with superb FE and drivability. Reserve the high powered TSI map for the Vento in future.
Old 8th January 2016, 14:48   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinodh_Gowda View Post

...but yes some might fall for that small extention referred to as the boot in these CS.

...I was talking about why ruin the design of a handsome sedan like the Vento.
That is the sole reason I think Vinodh and I surely can't think of any other

See when the first generation D-Zire was launched, it looked down right Ugly !! It was neither quirky like the Swift nor quacky like the SX4, but it just completely filled the gap between the two for Maruti.

The same thing happened with both Hyundai & Honda. Neither of their sub 4m "Sedans" even look half as good as their actual sedans, Verna & City.

But at the end of the day, both Amaze & Xcent gets the job done for most of the Indian buyers. I know the trend is surely but slowly shifting, but to a large extent, 8 out of 10 buyers would still consider an Amaze/Xcent a better pick over Jazz/I20.

So with respect to VW, they are not really spoiling the design of Vento by offering "Ameo", but only giving an option for 5 out of 10 customers to consider this, over Polo.

Abarth seems to have take some spark out of the GT TSi and definitely the Figo TDCi has out-muscled the 1.5 GT TDi. Polo is not a cheap hatch and neither does it have a USP now with these recent launches, may be only barring the convenience and brilliance of the DSG gear box.

I can't imagine how and where they will position this CS.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 8th January 2016 at 14:49.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 15:51   #95
BHPian

I Followed the same test mule yesterday afternoon on Bangalore-Mumbai highway till Hinjewadi Bridge. Got a chance to stay parallel in traffic.

To me it looked like a Polo with boot. Its definitely not a boot cut job on the Vento as there is a difference in wheelbase and the way design slopes after C pillar.
Old 8th January 2016, 16:47   #96
BHPian

Does not look good at least in spy-shots. Resembles more like abruptly cut design of DZire. Need to see in real photos when launched. Hopefully it will look decent if not good.

Among sub 4 meter sedans, I find 'Amaze' to have the best rear design. But that might be just me.
Old 8th January 2016, 18:25   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post

But at the end of the day, both Amaze & Xcent gets the job done for most of the Indian buyers. I know the trend is surely but slowly shifting, but to a large extent, 8 out of 10 buyers would still consider an Amaze/Xcent a better pick over Jazz/I20.
I would disagree with you there vik0728 and the sales numbers and monthly analysis would back me. The jazz and amaze are neck and neck in sales whereas the i20 sells 2 for every 1 of Xcent.

The trend is surely changing in which the consumer realises that a premium hatchback makes more sense compared to a pseudo sedan. Looks prettier too.

I don't see ameo filling vw's coffers anytime soon unless they pull off a 'kwid' with the pricing.
gaurav_3000ad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 20:56   #98
Senior - BHPian

I think its a little too late for VW. With the handsome looking Baleno or Elite i20 or Jazz, I see more people are shifting towards bigger hatchbacks than sub 4m sedans (Swift Dzire, Xcent aside). Just see the trend of car sales in the last few months and you will see reduction in sales of Zest, Aspire and Amaze. I think this sub 4m sedan craze is going to wind down in the next one year.

Moreover, social status aside, the Polo has quite a big boot already, so will have to see how VW prices it for just some more legroom or boot space.
Old 8th January 2016, 23:28   #99
BHPian

Lame move!

Firstly the CS segment itself is not doing all that great except the Dzire, which sells because 1. Its a Maruti, 2. Its VFM, 3. Its a Maruti, 4. People see Swift/Sedan in it, 5. Taxi Market 6. Its a Maruti

Amaze has lost over 50% of its numbers
Aspire and Zest hasn't even taken off properly yet.
Indigo CS is almost dead
Xcent is doing just about ok by Hyundai standards

This car has come a tad too late, especially since the trend is tilting towards proper premium hatches than these half baked compact sedans.

It might bring in some numbers for VW, but I guess a good portion of that would come from the Polo/Vento customers as well.
anand.shankar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th January 2016, 10:12   #100
Senior - BHPian

I think this is a good idea by VW simply because the Polo has very limited rear legroom but a decent boot. They can extend the boot a bit and if they manage to push the seats back to achieve a good compromise, they will be able to tap into a whole segment of people who want a sedan and until now could not afford to buy a Vento/Rapid. This also brings a lot of visibility and potential customers into the showrooms, and prepares the younger lot for a future dream (when I grow up/get promoted, I will buy a Vento - for example). There is a lot of value in that too, so this investment must be part of a long term vision.

That said, since this will be based on the Polo it would be perfect if they made a notch back, because not only is that very practical, it will also be a key differentiator. On the other hand, the notch back has been a Skoda speciality.

From the images the front bumper has a much slimmer profile, but the rear one is at least present. While not as balanced as the Vento, I'm sure VW will be able to achieve a decent design - for those who prefer a non-fluidic design at least.

If they can price the top-end petrol at around 8.5 on road (BLR) and diesel around 9.5 on road (BLR), they should be able to get some volumes and move more of those engines too. Hope they make the 1.2 TSI engine and 5 speed manual standard on the petrol.
VeluM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2016, 14:05   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

From the VW press release on the Compact Sedan

Quote:
The Delhi Auto Expo will see the World Premier of the Indian Compact Sedan (ICS) Volkswagen’s premier sub 4-metre sedan, which has been designed specifically for the Indian market, and is manufactured at the Volkswagen facility in Chakan. There has been an overwhelming response to the compact sedan category in India, and by virtue of its superior technology, class leading features and high safety standards, the ICS is expected to raise the bar in the market for this dynamic segment.
I hope this means a 1.0 TSI both with manual and DSG, continued focus on build quality, more than 2 airbags and a bunch of features missing in most of the competition (Like DRL's, Auto wipers/headlamps, Projectors, Cruise Control, full fledged AVN System).

It still may not get volumes, but a good choice to have.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 11th January 2016 at 14:07.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2016, 00:14   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

As per what I can see, the Polo's length is 3972mm. The compact sedan definition is a sedan under 4000mm, thus its not possible that the Polo would appear like a compact sedan with a mere 1 inch boot. From what I see the boot is stubby but I'm sure a few inches from the front has been shaven (about 4 inches lets say?). Add about 5 inches to the rear end of the Polo, tweak the C pillar cleverly to appear more flowing and gradual and there we go. I'm sure the boot capacity would've gone up about 50 litres or so (almost like Aspire) but not more than that.

In my view, its a waste of time. The only proportional compact sedan in the market today is the Xcent, with enough practical cabin space (almost on par with Elite i20) and a 407 litre segment topping boot-space. The only way the VW CS can make some sales is if its cheaper than Polo (obviously Polo looks better and hence should be a notch above), and if it has better engines than that wheezy 3-pot petrol. This will be their 2nd grand mistake after the Polo Cross. They should've just enjoyed the success of Tsi & TDi and called it a day. If they wanted to create an all-new segment they should've just brought the Up! here (entry-small-hatch-luxury-segment, uh?).
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2016, 11:10   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
The only proportional compact sedan in the market today is the Xcent...
Is it? Really?

IMO, it's the worst looking rear end derived from a good looking rear. Cars like Zest, Amaze, DZire and Aspire are better looking than an Xcent's rear.

But yes, favoritism plays a big role in all this subjective matter of looks.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 12th January 2016 at 11:16.
Old 12th January 2016, 11:15   #104
BHPian

I think i saw these being tested in Chakan Talegaon Road. I was driving to our office in Chakan from Mumbai.

I saw 2 smaller vento's ( camouflaged) going towards talegaon. They had attempted to cover the front and the boot portion with black covers. But i could make it out to be a vento from the front. The boot was visibly smaller. Couldnt take snaps as i was travelling alone and driving myself.
Old 12th January 2016, 11:19   #105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Is it? Really?

IMO, it's the worst looking rear end derived from a good looking rear. Cars like Zest, Amaze, DZire and Aspire are better looking than an Xcent's rear.
Being proportional is about dimensions rather than design which is a subjective opinion.

Cars like Xcent, Amaze, upcoming Kite sedan etc are based on smaller hatchbacks and hence have more proportional boot length compared to other segment competition like DZire, Zest etc. I believe the new Polo sedan will also end up in the second category since its based on a large hatch back.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks