Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2015, 14:20   #826
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveanddrive View Post
The little thing near the windshield on the dashboard, that's what I was talking about.
Pic Source: Post #804
I think that would be the temperature sensor for the ACC.
Old 23rd October 2015, 14:57   #827
BHPian

For those who are interested the Abarth has arrived at KHT Fiat, and it looks like its fresh off the truck. They have only one black demo car and, no they havn't got the Avventura, so booking a time slot may be prudent. You can contact Syed at 7353212345 and book your slots.

I did get to do a small test drive up and down the inner ring road, so these are completely seat of the pants/first impression thoughts compared to my 2014 T-Jet.

1. It doesn't look half bad. Even I was surprised, but it's still a little too loud for me.

2. The black interiors look nice, and some of the iffy plastics seem to be better than my Linea.

3. Idle is much smoother than my T-Jet and even has a mild growl.

4. The gearshift is more rubbery than mine, and yes it did put a dent in the driving experience. (Maybe I just got lucky on mine)

5. Superb engine note that has a nice crisp growl. Please note, I said engine note and not exhaust note which is as mild as ever.

6. Brakes seems to be servoed differently than my T-Jet, seem to be less progressive and have a bite only after 1/4 pedal. It could also just be an issue with bleeding and fluid levels

7. My re-mapped T-jet has better low end torque, but the Abarth has the better top end and just seems to pull seamlessly to the limiter accompanied by that lovely smooth engine note. (that engine note is v v nice)

8. The Abarth suspension has taken out all the rocking and rolling out of the Linea, and still managed to keep the ride firm but acceptable. I think the slight chattering sensation I got going over broken bits of the road was mainly because of the tyres.

9. Steering seems to be the same, couldn't really tell on the straight ring road.

So the million dollar question, would I upgrade from my mapped T-Jet. Seat of the pants answer is NO.
keroo1099 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2015, 15:11   #828
Senior - BHPian

This is the internal temperature sensor for ACC.

There is also one temperature sensor below Left side ORVM which is for outside temperature that is displayed with the Odo.

Quote:
The little thing near the windshield on the dashboard, that's what I was talking about.
Old 23rd October 2015, 16:24   #829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
This is the internal temperature sensor for ACC.

There is also one temperature sensor below Left side ORVM which is for outside temperature that is displayed with the Odo.
I always thought that little sensor was for the automatic headlamps. You are correct because Abarth doesn't have auto headlamps. If that's the case, then where is the light sensor located in the Linea? (Not near the rear-view mirror, that's the sensor for the auto wipers)

Last edited by thedragula : 23rd October 2015 at 16:31.
Old 23rd October 2015, 16:27   #830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Its really sad to see discussions going downhill.

Also, as we who call ourselves car enthusiasts, spare a thought for Fiat, struggling to regain its foothold in the market, trying something different for the enthusiasts.
Well said Sid, completely echo your thoughts I being a Newbie as a member (though have been following Team-Bhp threads & articles for last 4 years ) have lot of respect to this exclusive forum. Come on folks... lets contribute to the thread purely based on the merits and demerits of the car.

Now a BIG thumbs-up to FIAT for giving us Abarth Punto at this price point. I for sure will be seriously following this thread and would be in the market to buy a premium (B2 segment) hatch during May/June 2016. If anyone from FIAT is watching this thread PLEASE bring out the Matt Grey-Orange color combination soon.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd October 2015 at 16:29. Reason: Removing bulk of the quoted post; inconveniences our mobile users.
Old 23rd October 2015, 17:24   #831
BHPian

Ladies & Gentlemen....I'm back posting after a little over 2 years.

And I chose this thread because I want to tell you a tale. I owned a Palio S10 till 2006 and sold it as i opted for a Baleno from my employer. I missed the S10. I then opted for the Vento in 2011 which has given me decent service till now. I still miss the S10. Now, here comes the Abarth Punto and salvation. In my opinion, Fiat has no equals when it comes to ride and handling and sheer driving pleasure at their price levels. But the reason I shifted loyalties was because of the iffy quality levels at that time. At the time I was deciding on the Vento, the Linea was the other prime contender but a few owners I spoke to complained about the problems they had with the car. They were happy with all aspects of the car except the quality. I faced the same with the S10. Niggling issues but nevertheless a pain and hence a shift in loyalties. I am not sure whether this has improved but reading some of the Fiat threads on the forum seems to indicate that there is an improvement. If that is so then my loyalty may shift back.

I am due a new car soon and the timing of the Abarth Punto seems perfect. There is no doubt in my mind that it is VFM for what it offers, FE be damned. This car is not meant for a light foot.

It feels good to be back
Floyd de Souza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2015, 17:44   #832
Distinguished - BHPian

The matt grey color will be available from Quarter 1 next year.
nkrishnap is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2015, 17:52   #833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Since you have test driven the car, when can we expect your review?
Old 23rd October 2015, 20:07   #834
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1430182

Pic Source: Post #804
The sensor is the sun sensor. It senses the sunlight intensity and it's direction. It's one of the sensors for ACC.
Old 23rd October 2015, 21:00   #835
BHPian

Seems delivery has already started

A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!-12063473_10153658871593704_5136335471849910848_n.jpg

A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!-12063446_10153658870608704_133173667287449183_n.jpg

Courtesy : TEAM FIAT MOTO CLUB FACEBOOK PAGE
RJ411 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2015, 21:24   #836
Senior - BHPian

Don't know how to react, isn't this announcement would hold few people from booking their cars right now.
Though, we all saw this coming but what's the need of announcing it right now Fiat.

Quote:
Old 23rd October 2015, 21:40   #837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedragula View Post
If that's the case, then where is the light sensor located in the Linea? (Not near the rear-view mirror, that's the sensor for the auto wipers)
I am under the impression that the "sun" sensor (I think it is called twilight sensor) also feeds input for the auto-headlamps. Maybe I am wrong.
Old 23rd October 2015, 22:27   #838
BHPian

Quote:
Why did you do this Fiat! Anyway, I don't have the patience to wait. I'll still be going ahead with black but everytime I see a matt grey Abarth, I'm going to feel a little sad.

Wonder what stopped stopped them from launching it straight up instead of next year!

Also excited to hear about the exhaust accessory. I don't know if 25k is worth it. But a sporty exhaust note was one thing I had wished for right from the beginning. Just waiting to get some review from somewhere about it.
firstguri is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2015, 01:23   #839
BHPian

I had a a 20 km TD in the abarth today.

Pros of the car.
  • Great brakes
  • Good power, car is very very quick if kept above 4000 rpm
  • Good ride, took an undulation at high triple digits and didn't flinch.
  • Stickering job easily corrected.
  • Very good lane changing stability at speed
  • Lovely steering feel, steering thumb grips are nice to hold.
  • 60:40 split seats, dog owners should be happy!
  • Good gear ratios for 2,3,4
Cons
  • Gearbox, the action is vague. what were you thinking Fiat .
  • Steering is too far away for me and was too close for a friend.
  • ABC pedals are not positioned for heel-toe. Pedals are also too high from the floor.
  • Front seat lacks under thigh support, though side bolstering exists it is far
    too wide for me.
  • Distinct flatspot between 3000-4000 rpm, cant really explain it.
The car seems to be a well balanced with the power, brakes and suspension.

5th gear at 100-120 puts you right in the middle of the flat spot and requires downshift to over take fast moving diesels.

Car keeps pulling if you keep the revs up.

Existing owners told me the gearbox gets better after a couple of thousand kms.

1st gear is only useful to make tire smoke!

Accelerator pedal has a lot of play side to side, which makes heel toe downshifts tough.

The ride quality is outstanding and is definitely the benchmark.

Some pics, front strut and the turbo part number(IHI watercooled).
The car also has a high pressure coolant cap rated @ 1.4 bar.
Attached Thumbnails
A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!-aukpsrovf28ggta3sm7npd1ks3hvd5ijoasmmqsevzwx.jpg  

A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!-auuzc8zorw112xyno8qtmyz6dk6c9cpunmqzdq95_1us.jpg  

Diesel_convert is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 24th October 2015, 02:12   #840
Senior - BHPian

Congrats buddy on your decision to join or rather I say start the club.
Just as you can't wait to drive this beauty, we all can't wait to read your ownership report.

I am doing all kind of permutations and combinations as to how to own this beauty but I simply don't have courage to even think about letting go my Linea T-Jet which is adored not only by me but my whole family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstguri View Post
Super excited!!!

Just booked the Abarth Punto at Wheels Fiat in Mohali
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks