Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2015, 09:41   #721
BHPian

Re: A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
May be owners of 1.4 NA can tell what is the engine RPM at 80 kmph on flat road to give an idea.
2500 RPM to be precise!
Divya Sharan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 10:11   #722
BHPian

Fiat seems to be reading online forums to get a pulse on customer preferences, so here's my letter to Fiat's online Santa.

Solid build
All black interiors & seats

What I can live with:
Exterior design - 1st gen Grande Punto looks better; getting rid of stickers will help to an extent
Ergonomics - I usually need minor mods to make any car seat comfortable
Fiat A.S.S - can't be any worse than my mediocre experiences at Hyundai/Honda

So, what's the deal-breaker: Lack of an automatic transmission. Plonk in a decent automatic trany and then the Scorpion can sting me all it wants. And, it would prudent to do that before VW brings the GTI here.

Last edited by ashwin489 : 21st October 2015 at 10:15.
ashwin489 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 10:25   #723
BHPian

Test drove The Punto Evo Abarth at Moti Nagar West Delhi, right after the polo Tsi and Creta diesel automatic.
The Volkswagen and Fiat showrooms looked deserted compared to the Chaos and Car buying frenzy at the Hyundai showroom.

As for the driving experience , it can be summed up in one line:

The Punto Abarth eats Creta for breakfast and Polo Tsi for lunch!

The Abarth Punto thrashes the Polo Tsi hollow be it performance or handling. Its just on a different planet. It makes Polo feel slow and annoying.

As for the gearbox I felt that it was slightly better than my friend's Linea T-jet, and is in no way an impediment to the performance and though its it is not slick like the Swift but its much better nissan/renault/ford(new Figo) gearbox.

If you want driving pleasure backed by real performance then this is it. I don't know why on earth are people cribbing about mileage in a hot hatch. My zest revotron (not the last word in fuel efficiency) at times gives me 22+ on expressway (have posted picture in the zest thread as well) at a constant 90 KMPH in 5TH gear.

For me this is it. To hell with diesel automatic SUV and posh badge.
I don't care what my neighbors will say, I don't care if the car sell for crap during resale, I don't care if my leg hurts in traffic(reason for considering automatic), I want to buy this.

Last edited by fuelinmyveins : 21st October 2015 at 10:27.
fuelinmyveins is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 10:25   #724
BANNED

will the amt cope well with the 1.4 tjet or does fiat have its own version of dsg/dct ?
Old 21st October 2015, 10:36   #725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelinmyveins View Post

The Punto Abarth eats Creta for breakfast and Polo Tsi for lunch!

The Abarth Punto thrashes the Polo Tsi hollow be it performance or handling. Its just on a different planet. It makes Polo feel slow and annoying.
Quote:
I don't care what my neighbors will say, I don't care if the car sell for crap during resale, I don't care if my leg hurts in traffic(reason for considering automatic), I want to buy this.

My My. That was pretty intense. Is that what just one test drive does to people?

I am hungry for a test drive myself now.

Will I buy it? Difficult. My 75 Hp is just 2 years old and I intend to keep it for long. I plan to Upgrade to a Sedan or a SUV in a couple of years for my second car. So my only hope of owning the beast of the engine is if Fiat decides to bring in a Powered by Abarth version of Linea.

At Approximately 12 Lakhs Ex Showroom, it will be a perfect upgrade for me if Abarth Punto is as good as everyone claims
Old 21st October 2015, 10:37   #726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
will the amt cope well with the 1.4 tjet or does fiat have its own version of dsg/dct ?
Why would someone put a slow shifting gear box on performance hatch? An AMT on Abarth will increase the 0-100 figures by a couple of secs.
Old 21st October 2015, 10:40   #727
BHPian

I find it strange that we are discussing fuel efficiency in a performance hatch thread. When I bought my 2010 Linea T-Jet, I fully understood that FE is not on the list of purchase decision makers. I was happy with a 10-11 kmpl in the city and 16-17 kmpl on highways.

Later got the car remapped to 150 HP and expected the FE to become even worse, but remained just about the same. However one day, I decided to actually try and see what kind of FE I can get, if I really tried. So drove from Coimbatore to Salem - approx 150 kms, with the cruise control set to a MID indicated 90 kmph. The T-Jet returned 22 kmpl. Posting, just to share that it is possible to get very good FE from this engine, if that is what you want.

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 21st October 2015 at 10:43.
PatchyBoy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 10:40   #728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
Why would someone put a slow shifting gear box on performance hatch?
You should go ask that question to Fiat, since they have plonked an AMT on their Abarth 500.

Last edited by ashwin489 : 21st October 2015 at 10:42.
ashwin489 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 10:59   #729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If you want driving pleasure backed by real performance then this is it. I don't know why on earth are people cribbing about mileage in a hot hatch. My zest revotron (not the last word in fuel efficiency) at times gives me 22+ on expressway (have posted picture in the zest thread as well) at a constant 90 KMPH in 5TH gear.

God, I hate you!
Your small TD review is making me make plans which I would not have considered otherwise. I am almost ready to beg+borrow+steal enough to get this one.

Please do buy this one. If I decide not to beg+borrow+steal, I still want it to be successful enough so that I can buy one when I am finally in a position not to beg+borrow+steal.

(do kids really need to study in private schools? aren't govt. schools good enough? I studied in those. Weren't that bad. you see where i am going with this)

Last edited by asr245 : 21st October 2015 at 11:02.
asr245 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 11:04   #730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
My My. That was pretty intense. Is that what just one test drive does to people?

I am hungry for a test drive myself now.

Will I buy it? Difficult. My 75 Hp is just 2 years old and I intend to keep it for long. I plan to Upgrade to a Sedan or a SUV in a couple of years for my second car. So my only hope of owning the beast of the engine is if Fiat decides to bring in a Powered by Abarth version of Linea.

At Approximately 12 Lakhs Ex Showroom, it will be a perfect upgrade for me if Abarth Punto is as good as everyone claims
Trust me on this. I got my punto evo 1.3 MJD 5 months back. I test drove the abarth punto a few days back and i am blown away. I am seriously considering it but the only thing i don't have is Vitamin M . This thing just flies ! I am still blown away with that one small test drive.
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 11:19   #731
BHPian

Btw, Does Abarth edition can be possible in Diesel also ?

Can't want to question Fiat or Abarth abilities, but Diesel with Abarth badge can develop better counter attack across its Premium performance hatchback segment.
Old 21st October 2015, 11:38   #732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
Fiat has a dual clutch gearbox. C635. It is the highest rated dry type dual clutch tranny. Can handle upto 350 Nm.
Old 21st October 2015, 11:54   #733
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
An AMT on Abarth will increase the 0-100 figures by a couple of secs.
now tell me Why would someone want a bad 0-100 figure in a performance hatch?

Quote:
Why would someone put a slow shifting gear box on performance hatch?
Let me try to answer...

Quoting from 2014 Enthusiast car thread located at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ars-india.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
Skoda Octavia 1.8L DSG

What's hot: lightning quick DSG,

What's not: Reliability concerns over the DSG transmission, no manual gearbox option,
Quote:
Fiat Linea T-Jet

What's hot: For manual transmission lovers, still the most satisfying petrol car (<10 lakhs) to drive on the highway

What's not: Long throw & rubbery gearshift,
Quote:
VW Polo 1.2L GT TSI

What's hot: lightning quick 7-speed DSG,

What's not: Reliability concerns over the DQ200 DSG transmission, no manual,

VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI

What's hot:smooth 5-speed manual,
Also a few from Build your dream car thread at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...est-parts.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My dream combination:

Gearbox - Jetta's 6-speed MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
2. 6 speed mt from a Toyota.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
Gearbox: Laura TSi six speed manual.
So, it is clear that Enthusiasts definitely want a MT and many people's dream cars have an MT and not an AT.

While the twin-clutch provides faster shift timing compared to a manual, Its reliability is still not good.
While the MT is slower in the shift times, some drivers still prefer the interaction that a manual clutch pedal and gearshift provide.

So you see, both have their own pros and cons.

Yes, it would have been complete and amazing if the throw in the Punto was short. But then, which car is complete?
hemanth.anand is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 13:37   #734
Senior - BHPian

Now as the dust has settled in, we will have long discussions on MT vs AT, Mileage, Price, features, etc.

Nowadays, we have Compact Sedans, Pseudo SUVs, ruling the market with their customers having full audacity to claim that they are SUVs etc. and why not, their manufacturer has hard-wired in their brains (started with Scorpio being referred to as a Car).

Its a matter of time when of all cars Celerio Diesel AMT also being referred to as a really hot hatch albeit referring to Hot temperature inside the cabin on the same lines as RS is referred to as Restless Spirit.

Would you still blame Maruti for putting out 'Kitna Deti Hai ?" Ads. They mentioned in that Ad country "obsessed" with mileage and not Country 'in love with mileage'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
now tell me Why would someone want a bad 0-100 figure in a performance hatch?
Yes, it would have been complete and amazing if the throw in the Punto was short. But then, which car is complete?
MITRON (friends in Hindi)

We already know that Abarth is,

not a daily use car (due to stickering)
'suffers' from low mileage
is 'not' Automatic'
is priced equalled to C Segment Sedan.

Aaiye Apni Soch Badlen Aur Kuchh Naya Sochen Aur Naya Karen (Let's change our Thinking and Let's try doing something new)

Last edited by carwatcher : 21st October 2015 at 13:41.
Old 21st October 2015, 14:11   #735
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I just realised something interesting.

RavenAvi had posted that body kits were available for Punto Evo with the dealerships across the country.

Link

Just these subtle add-ons on the regular EVO looks leagues ahead of the iteration on the Abarth EVO

If you ask me, just these bits with a stiffer suspension and a wee bit lower stance could have done wonders on the Abarth EVO.

Just look at that black Punto in the above link and it looks HAUTE

Last edited by Vik0728 : 21st October 2015 at 14:13.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks