Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2015, 10:59   #46
BHPian

Re: Honda recalls 2.2 lakh cars (CR-V, Civic, City, Jazz) in India over faulty airbags

Wouldn't such safety issues be recognised during crash test? I believe there have been crash tests on Indian cars too in the past, not systematically on all cars though.
Old 21st September 2015, 11:34   #47
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda recalls 2.2 lakh cars (CR-V, Civic, City, Jazz) in India over faulty airbags

I always appreciate it when a manufacturer launches a recall and full marks for that. However, equally, when I think about it - I've been using my Aug 2009 Civic and Nov 2009 City for almost 6 and 5 years respectively.

That's the better part of the planned usage of the life of the car and I've been using it without a drivers airbag. What's the point of all that we're paying for when about 80-90% of the car's intended life cycle of usage while in my ownership has been without this critical safety component. I almost feel like the company owes each customer with a defective piece some sort of compensation as well. For the years of potentially hazardous ownership that we've been through despite paying full money for all safeguards.
Old 21st September 2015, 12:10   #48
BHPian

I have a 2010 Honda City. 3 yrs ago I suffered an accident. The air bag did not balloon but made some hissing noise and collapsed. Informed the Service Center in Pune. They said the air bag will be replaced anyway. My guess is that replaced airbag is also faulty?
Old 21st September 2015, 12:27   #49
BHPian

My september 2009 civic has been listed for both front airbags.
Old 21st September 2015, 12:54   #50
Senior - BHPian

My 2010 Jan Civic with VIN MAKFD153XXXXXXXXX is not listed for any of the replacements. Guess I need to keep checking everyday. Dont know whether to feel glad that my car is not part of the recall or worry why it is not listed !

EDIT: Guess I clicked on an incorrect link earlier. When I clicked on the right link now and entered my car's VIN I get a message stating Driver side Airbag replacement is applicable for my vehicle.

Last edited by rr_zen : 21st September 2015 at 12:58.
Old 21st September 2015, 13:11   #51
BHPian

My 2010 purchase Jazz requires Driver Side Airbag inflator replacement.

Even i got message initially saying the my product is not listed for the replacement. I realized I have clicked wrong link. Once you go to Customer information, there are 4 links. Make sure you click the right link (top most).
Old 21st September 2015, 15:41   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaveenKD View Post
My 2010 purchase Jazz requires Driver Side Airbag inflator replacement.

Even i got message initially saying the my product is not listed for the replacement. I realized I have clicked wrong link. Once you go to Customer information, there are 4 links. Make sure you click the right link (top most).
I still get the same message for my Jazz as earlier. "Product update in your vehicle is not applicable."
Old 21st September 2015, 16:57   #53
BHPian

My 2007 sept civic listed for replacement of both driver and passenger airbag. I have registered my car in their online register and waiting for a call after 12th of October. Should I contact the A.S.S directly and get an appointment early?
Old 21st September 2015, 20:42   #54
BHPian

My July 2010 City...
Quote:
Driver Side Airbag Inflator replacement is applicable in your vehicle
At least my passenger can feel safe
Old 22nd September 2015, 13:32   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
My 2010 City got the all clear from Honda's website. 2 more of my friends City's also have got the clear.
I checked the website again today and now it says Driver's side airbag inflator replacement applicable for your car.

Considering the confusion, I guess I will log in again after a few days. Maybe in next few days Honda may realise my passenger side inflator's too are to be changed.

The recall is good but I wish it was handled with less confusion then it is being done now.

Last edited by amit : 22nd September 2015 at 13:35.
Old 22nd September 2015, 14:54   #56
BHPian

I got my city in 2010 which is more than 5 years old on assumptions that both the air bags work. Now i check online and i am told passenger side air bag is faulty.

Just to think of all the people who rode on the passenger side of the car. My kid, wife, parents and whole lot.

In most of the countries this would be a penalty and a lawsuit against the Company but in India...
Old 22nd September 2015, 15:12   #57
BHPian

Jan 2010 Honda City. Driver side airbag needs attention as per the site. Filled details and waiting.
Old 22nd September 2015, 15:45   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyR1der View Post
I got my city in 2010 which is more than 5 years old on assumptions that both the air bags work. Now i check online and i am told passenger side air bag is faulty.

Just to think of all the people who rode on the passenger side of the car. My kid, wife, parents and whole lot.

In most of the countries this would be a penalty and a lawsuit against the Company but in India...
This is a world-wide issue with Takata airbags and not specific to India.
There have been many class action lawsuits internationally against Takata

Is Honda the only manufacturer in India to use these Takata airbags?
Internationally even Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford, Nissan etc have recalled their vehicles.
Old 22nd September 2015, 17:32   #59
BHPian

For my 2009 Jazz, honda website says no update is applicable. I feel somewhat relieved, though I would like to double check. Is there a way to double check just to be absolutely sure?
Old 23rd September 2015, 12:54   #60
Senior - BHPian

Another question I have is what is expected out of the owners of the affected vehicles ? Are they expected not to drive the car until the replacement has been carried out ? I am using my car as usual. God save me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
For my 2009 Jazz, honda website says no update is applicable. I feel somewhat relieved, though I would like to double check. Is there a way to double check just to be absolutely sure?
I would recommend you to keep checking everyday as the database may be getting updated on a periodic basis as pointed out in one of the posts earlier.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks