Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2016, 10:01   #121
BANNED

Re: Honda recalls 2.2 lakh cars (CR-V, Civic, City, Jazz) in India over faulty airbags

Honda have a record of the units fitted to each car. They decide on this basis. In my Civic based on the data from Honda they replaced one airbag only. Please check since in the case of Civics they had a website where you could check.
Old 10th April 2016, 17:08   #122
BHPian

One more fatality in Texas attributed to faulty Takata airbag inflators:
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/04/07....html?referer=

Apparently, this was a medium speed accident in a Civic from which most people walk away. In this instance, a metal fragment from the inflator ended up flying into the side if the neck killing the victim.

I would urge folks who've been putting off getting their inflators replaced, to do so ASAP. The high temperature conditions in India and high humidity are particular risk factors for this malfunction.
Old 19th April 2016, 11:40   #123
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda recalls 2.2 lakh cars (CR-V, Civic, City, Jazz) in India over faulty airbags

Woah, what are the odds of something like this happening?

Honda has been faithfully updating their "recall page" every couple of months and I have been entering my Civic's chassis number to check if my car is under recall.
https://www.hondacarindia.com/mediac...formation.aspx

Now the most convenient way to find the chassis number is to look at the insurance document. This is my chassis number according to the insurance document - MARFDxxxxxxxxxx

Honda recalls 2.2 lakh cars (CR-V, Civic, City, Jazz) in India over faulty airbags-20160419_112059.jpg

Typing the above chassis number on Honda page would give a message "Product update not applicable for your car".

However, 2 things were bothering me -

1) The recent news about 2007 Honda Civic death in India because of airbag issue.
2) The sheer number of cars affected - 54,290 Civics manufactured in India.

I have always been a follower of car sales thread. Even at its peak, Honda used to sell only about 800 Civics a month. 54,290 Civics affected pretty much means almost 100% of Indian Civics need to be recalled.

On a hunch, I checked the chassis number as printed on the car (passenger side door frame).

Honda recalls 2.2 lakh cars (CR-V, Civic, City, Jazz) in India over faulty airbags-20160419_111522.jpg

Bingo! Printing mistake on the insurance document. The chassis number is MAKFD, not MARFD!

I then typed in the correct chassis number, and yes, product update was applicable to my car. Called up Trident Honda (Mysore Road) and fixed up an appointment. They followed up on their end, and within 3 days, replacement airbag inflators for drivers and passengers side had arrived.

Honda recalls 2.2 lakh cars (CR-V, Civic, City, Jazz) in India over faulty airbags-20160419_111753.jpg

Now, I no longer have live grenades in lieu of airbags in my car!
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2016, 12:31   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Woah, what are the odds of something like this happening?

Honda has been faithfully updating their "recall page" every couple of months and I have been entering my Civic's chassis number to check if my car is under recall.
https://www.hondacarindia.com/mediac...formation.aspx

Now the most convenient way to find the chassis number is to look at the insurance document. This is my chassis number according to the insurance document - MARFDxxxxxxxxxx

Attachment 1498782

Typing the above chassis number on Honda page would give a message "Product update not applicable for your car".

However, 2 things were bothering me -

1) The recent news about 2007 Honda Civic death in India because of airbag issue.
2) The sheer number of cars affected - 54,290 Civics manufactured in India.

I have always been a follower of car sales thread. Even at its peak, Honda used to sell only about 800 Civics a month. 54,290 Civics affected pretty much means almost 100% of Indian Civics need to be recalled.

On a hunch, I checked the chassis number as printed on the car (passenger side door frame).

Attachment 1498783

Bingo! Printing mistake on the insurance document. The chassis number is MAKFD, not MARFD!

I then typed in the correct chassis number, and yes, product update was applicable to my car. Called up Trident Honda (Mysore Road) and fixed up an appointment. They followed up on their end, and within 3 days, replacement airbag inflators for drivers and passengers side had arrived.

Attachment 1498784

Now, I no longer have live grenades in lieu of airbags in my car!
smartcat, I recommend having the policy corrected as well to have the correct chassis number. It might be grounds for rejection of a claim and on paper not having valid insurance for your car, as legally required.

And, glad to hear that you got the defective inflators replaced.
coolvenk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2016, 20:03   #125
BHPian

It's weird but I apparently have the correct VIN on the insurance and RC book. On checking it still doesn't show an available recall. I thought 100% of civics sold in India were affected. Mine is a 2008 model BTW.
Old 19th April 2016, 21:07   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamiboy View Post
It's weird but I apparently have the correct VIN on the insurance and RC book. On checking it still doesn't show an available recall. I thought 100% of civics sold in India were affected. Mine is a 2008 model BTW.
Didn't Honda sell close to 3lakh Civics? Only about 50,000 Civics were affected by this recall, so I think it makes sense. Not sure what criterion was used to determine if a specific unit was included in the recall.
Old 19th April 2016, 21:19   #127
BHPian

Honda recalls 2.2 lakh cars (CR-V, Civic, City, Jazz) in India over faulty ai...

In that case I guess they must have used other airbag suppliers than Takata as well.
That's the only explanation I can think of.
Anyway it's kind of reassuring but at the same time troubling as well. If you know what I mean.

Last edited by pamiboy : 19th April 2016 at 21:20.
Old 19th April 2016, 21:32   #128
BHPian

The other explanation is that they are doing the recall in phases. In the US, for example, initial phases of the recall focused on older vehicles that were in hot and humid areas. Ammonium nitrate - the offending propellent was said to become unstable faster with these conditions. Even in India, I remember there being an earlier phase of recalls that covered fewer cars. The reason for all this is that with so many vehicles affected they can't produce new inflators fast enough. In fact, many folks in the US whose cars have been recalled cannot get it fixed because of this shortage.
Old 11th June 2016, 10:40   #129
BHPian

I have the airbag replacement scheduled for my city. The service center is saying that they can replace the inflator workout taking the car to the service center. Was this the case with other folks?
Old 11th June 2016, 11:37   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by partha379 View Post
The service center is saying that they can replace the inflator workout taking the car to the service center.
Could not quite get your question. But if you mean to say that if the inflator change can be done 'without' taking the car to the service center, then I think it is quite doable. After watching the entire process, I can say that it is a straightforward job.

Regards.
Old 11th June 2016, 12:32   #131
BHPian

Yes, they came to my place and did the replacement in 10 mins. I have some wip pics, will attach them once I get a proper Internet connection.
Old 11th June 2016, 15:24   #132
BHPian

Uploading the photos that show the work, the yellow one in the center is the inflator that is replaced. I would also like to hear your comments about the piece of steel that has been removed. I am talking about the one that's getting cutoff in the first pic, it looks like some kind of a rod that keeps the inflator in place. The folks told that it doesn't matter as there are screws holding it. If this is the case why will factory add it?
Attached Thumbnails
Honda recalls 2.2 lakh cars (CR-V, Civic, City, Jazz) in India over faulty airbags-20160611_104956.jpg  

Honda recalls 2.2 lakh cars (CR-V, Civic, City, Jazz) in India over faulty airbags-20160611_105416.jpg  

Last edited by partha379 : 11th June 2016 at 15:28.
partha379 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2016, 17:22   #133
BHPian

Today, I also got this replaced in my civic with my regular servicing. I had checked my car in the recall list through their website, but it didn't list out my car as a recall unit. I think you guys should go to the dealer and check on it. They never proactively get to back to you even if your car is on the list. Thought I'd give this important piece of info.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks