Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2015, 11:44   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda recalls 2.2 lakh cars (CR-V, Civic, City, Jazz) in India over faulty airbags

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I advise people waiting for a call from Honda should proactively talk to their service centers and get the work done. They will surely call eventually but a little pro-activeness from our side will get the job done sooner.
Precisely the thought I had on seeing your post and that of laluks. Will call up HASS today/tomorrow regarding the same and get it done ASAP. Cant drive with the niggle at the back of the mind everyday that am staring at a defective driver side airbag.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2015, 12:55   #92
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda recalls 2.2 lakh cars (CR-V, Civic, City, Jazz) in India over faulty airbags

Spoke to my SA at HASS. He said spares were available and asked me to bring the vehicle anytime. Will be going there first thing tomorrow morning.

Now, a twist to the tale is that while the website showed only the driver side airbag to be falling under the recall category for my car's VIN, the SA confirmed the replacement for both driver & passenger side airbags after checking with his staff. This is strange.
Old 30th October 2015, 13:15   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Precisely the thought I had on seeing your post and that of laluks. Will call up HASS today/tomorrow regarding the same and get it done ASAP. Cant drive with the niggle at the back of the mind everyday that am staring at a defective driver side airbag.
Yes, it is a bit of unsettling for us to know that the airbags need attention but the exact nature of issue is still under the cover. For eg. I saw a lot of crashed City(s) and Civics at the service centers with airbags deployed. So, certainly, it is more of a preventive update rather than a corrective one.

Quote:
Spoke to my SA at HASS. He said spares were available and asked me to bring the vehicle anytime. Will be going there first thing tomorrow morning.
Great! So, this ploy seems to be working.

Quote:
Now, a twist to the tale is that while the website showed only the driver side airbag to be falling under the recall category for my car's VIN, the SA confirmed the replacement for both driver & passenger side airbags after checking with his staff. This is strange.
Blame it on the Honda database which changed statements. Members have reported that when they first checked, the website showed their vehicles as unaffected, however, later the status changed. The problem is that if your vehicle is affected for even one airbag and if you fill the details and submit it, you will not be able to check the status at a later date. It will throw a message that your details are with them and they will contact you soon.

Plus, good thing that both inflators will be changed. Peace of mind.

Hope you get the job done soon.

Regards,
Saket.

Last edited by saket77 : 30th October 2015 at 13:19.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2015, 13:41   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Blame it on the Honda database which changed statements. Members have reported that when they first checked, the website showed their vehicles as unaffected, however, later the status changed. The problem is that if your vehicle is affected for even one airbag and if you fill the details and submit it, you will not be able to check the status at a later date. It will throw a message that your details are with them and they will contact you soon.
Precisely the message I got when I attempted to check the status today on the Honda website. [/quote]

Quote:
Plus, good thing that both inflators will be changed. Peace of mind.
Hoping for peace of mind with both inflators getting replaced however a tad apprehensive about the precision and quality of workmanship involved in this given that one would always prefer the factory over the HASS, esp with something as sensitive as an airbag. Will update post my visit. Thanks.
Old 31st October 2015, 12:16   #95
BHPian

I called my SA as well, and was asked to come by any time to get this fixed.

By the way, just of of curiosity, can some of the folks who got it fixed confirm if the new inflator was Takata as well? A picture of the unwrapped component would help much as well.
Old 31st October 2015, 12:28   #96
Team-BHP Support

We just got the airbags replaced last week under the recall - for both our 2009 city and 2009 civic.
Old 1st November 2015, 19:52   #97
BHPian

I had checked my 2009 ANHC's VIN as part of the recall; had shown that my Driver-side kit needs a replacement and would be contacted post 12 th Oct. Today, went in for my routine service and forgot to even ask about the recalled kit. Later got a call saying that the airbag inflator kit had also been replaced as part of Product update.
So looks like they are replacing the part either when customer's take their car for a service or when you call them pro-actively. My dealer: Shaman (Arya) Honda, Bhandup, Mumbai
Old 2nd November 2015, 15:36   #98
Senior - BHPian

What i've seen is that it depends on the dealers. Some dealers proactively called people up. My dealer refused to do it during the last service two weeks back and told me to wait for 'official communication'. I called them up yesterday and persisted with my want and they're finally going to replace the same this week.
Old 2nd November 2015, 15:46   #99
Senior - BHPian

I got mine replaced last Saturday. Dropped of the vehicle in the morning and it was ready in few hours. Only the driver side inflator was replaced in my case as what was shown on the website. The SA confused me earlier when I spoke to him saying that both needed replacement. I later heard from the folks there that while the VIN was the key to identify the replacement eligibility, in general it was observed that in case of Civic the pre-facelift ones needed both inflators to be replaced while the facelift version had only the driver side that was impacted which was my case as well.
rr_zen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 01:01   #100
BHPian

I got both the driver and passenger side airbag inflator of my '08 Civic replaced today.

I checked out the replacement driver side inflator which turns out to be made by Autoliv, the world's largest manufacturer of airbags (and notably not Takata, which is the source of the problematic inflators). The SA told me that the passenger side inflator is from Autoliv as well, although I didn't inspect it myself. This is consistent with reports that honda was sourcing some replacement inflators from Autoliv: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...SPAXuSPRRfG.97

This comes as a big relief, since Takata hasn't stopped using the compound Ammonium Nitrate, which was the cause of the troubles and there is still controversy about whether Takata has completely figured out and fixed what was wrong. I am not aware of any known issues with Autoliv airbags.
coolvenk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 13:24   #101
Senior - BHPian

The passenger side is from Daicel. Probably Honda is reducing its dependency on one supplier after this episode.

The Passenger side inflator

Honda recalls 2.2 lakh cars (CR-V, Civic, City, Jazz) in India over faulty airbags-20151104_1012112.jpg

From Daicel
Honda recalls 2.2 lakh cars (CR-V, Civic, City, Jazz) in India over faulty airbags-20151104_1011002.jpg

Honda recalls 2.2 lakh cars (CR-V, Civic, City, Jazz) in India over faulty airbags-20151104_1011202.jpg

Air bag crisis may shift auto market to Daicel, Autoliv

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/201.../#.Vjm4UWv_hsx

Honda gets new supplier for parts in air bag recall

http://driving.ca/honda/auto-news/ne...recalled-parts
laluks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 13:52   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
The passenger side is from Daicel. Probably Honda is reducing its dependency on one supplier after this episode.
Great. This is what my passenger inflator looked like as well (I didn't get the chance to read the fine print), so it probably is Daicel too.
Old 4th November 2015, 17:03   #103
Senior - BHPian

5 Questions on Takata

http://blogs.wsj.com/briefly/2015/11...bags/?mod=e2fb
Old 4th November 2015, 22:31   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Thank you sir for posting this picture. This confirms that the new passenger side inflator is a tad thinner than the old one. The two black rubber/plastic parts act like adapters which help the new inflator to fit in the originally thicker made space. I was a little skeptical if that is correct, but thanks to the picture, it confirms the same.

Regards,
Saket.
Old 23rd November 2015, 18:27   #105
BHPian

I got this product update done at Solitaire Honda, Mumbai(Andheri) workshop today. They happened to call me for a due service. I promptly told them that i will get my airbag maintenance done first as i have been following up with them.

They confirmed part in stock and asked me to come in. I was at the workshop while they were doing the job since its inconvenient to leave vehicle and again come back in about 60-90 minutes. I requested them in particular to be very careful and not to scratch the steering or any other plastic part while removal.

The job was done professionally and i cannot make out visually about anything done. They do not give old parts. Its probably to be sent back to Honda. On enquiring with service advisor he said that only 800 cars have undergone this update so far. Considering the volume of cars affected and sold by them this is a low number. My guess is that a lot of old cars are not going to authorised service any more and they are not pro active in calling customers. If a vehicle comes in for service they perform the update.

So advise to people who have not been called in, please call up the local service centre and bug them to call in your vehicle for the update. Just registering on the website like i had done did not make them call me.

Its not a time consuming process and seems to be have been done extremely professionally, atleast for me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks