Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2015, 01:56   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: VW likely to recall 300,000 cars in India due to emission scandal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
You can very well ask for a Dyno test to be done in your presence. I don't think they can reject this, given the situation they are in.

-HCP
End of the day its still a VW service centre, They can always give stupid excuses for anything, I hardly doubt they would entertain any such request/demands. Firstly i am waiting for the recall mail or a call, So that i can ask them what will they do and what will be the after effects of it, Unless they mention everything clearly before hand which i doubt they will.

Had planned to upgrade to the new passat next year, Will think twice before doing so.
Old 31st October 2015, 08:32   #47
BHPian

VW likely to recall 100,000 cars in India due to emission scandal

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Honestly it wont fail the Indian Emission test. Heck it wont fail the test in texas or florida. Simple reason Texas dont have a diesel emission program and florida does not have an emission program at all.

In india emission certificates are jokes. The road side emission check may not even have equipments to confirm particulates at the level these EPA test have produced.

Few things to consider:-

- Just be patient. The expected outcome is probably years from now to reach the Indian Dealership
- Dont panic for you may not have to do anything till probably next year.
- In case of a recall, the details will be clearly published. Untill then eveyrthing else is just speculations including hardware or software changes.
- For those out of warranty, you may not even need to take the car for the recall for there is no way the country is now suddenly going to invest on something to check a specific levels of Nitrous Oxide and imagine creating the infra structure before you can take your car to get certified. I will give it atleast 2 years optimistically.
- NO is the least pollutant that is going to kill a human in India for we have far more critical problems with respect to pollution.

And considering our country where it takes so much arm twisting and convincing to pass a helmet rule, i am perfectly confident it will years after i sell my car this recall will actually take any concrete effect.

But thats me

I agree with you VW2010. There are so many other critical problems like polluted lakes, polluted ground water table, high pesticide content in veggies, black smoke spewing from ill maintained trucks, govt transport corporation buses etc which are far more deadlier and fatal compared to the amount of NO gases released by a VW car in an year. Just come to ORR at around 6pm, you ll see a blanket of dust and pollution. Heck we were once considered a third world country but atleast had good air quality and food. But now everything is in a downward spiral.

Last edited by kiran_cr : 31st October 2015 at 08:33.
kiran_cr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2015, 09:48   #48
Team-BHP Support

How can an owner reject even if it is going to reduce the power output? Isn't that downright illegal?

Sorry if this is too straight- forward, but we're talking of a product that violated the rules set forward for selling the car in the country. If the changes prescribed by VW are not incorporated, would it remain road worthy?

May be the owners can demand compensation / goodies from VW like Triumph owners received after the detuning fiasco.
Old 31st October 2015, 09:51   #49
Senior - BHPian

I don't think the power output will reduce. Fuel efficiency will go down at part load operation, as the engine will not run very lean, and cleaning or replacing of EGR valves every second or third service will have to be started.

Rahul

Last edited by GTO : 31st October 2015 at 15:05. Reason: Typo
Old 31st October 2015, 10:06   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

In the meantime, anyone trying to sell their existing VW vehicle are getting royally rammed by the used car market. I have 'lost' 20% off my Polo's value in the last 2 months. That HURTS!

Last edited by itwasntme : 31st October 2015 at 10:07. Reason: Autocorrect!
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2015, 10:08   #51
BHPian

as GTO mentioned in his post, it is really arrogance and / or laziness of VW that they have just put up a boiler plate message on their website. Having a pre-owned Passat Highline AT 2012 model myself, I am frustrated at the complete lack of communication from VW about the impact.

I guess we have to be patient with the "German Engineering". It is at least comforting to know that the car is running fine and I continue to get a good fuel economy (> 14KM/L in city traffic),
baskar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2015, 10:51   #52
BHPian

Solutions that are over the net -

1. Hardware changes like Urea tank etc. - Due to space constraints may not be possible or may require huge expenses. May need cutting in the trunk etc.
2. Tweaking the software - Lower power outputs or lower fuel efficiency or maybe both ?
3. Buyback of cars maybe ? Maybe.

First two options cheat the customers. When someone bought the car, it was done keeping in mind its efficiency, power output and boot space etc. Changing any of it amounts to cheating. In US they are considering compensation too.

Now coming to essential question - Whether the engines comply with BS-4 standards or not ?

The answer is No. They don't.

The Passats and Jettas tested gave emissions of NOx that were over 5 to 20 times and 15 to 35 of Euro 6 limits.

Euro 6 limit for NOx is 0.080 g/Km. BS-4 is 0.25 g/km which is approximately 3 times more than the Euro 6 but the TDIs are polluting way more than these limits.

I have a preowned Jetta which is out of warranty. Maybe I will never visit the showroom.

We can just hope for the best. Lets wait and see.
Metallicar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2015, 12:47   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
In the meantime, anyone trying to sell their existing VW vehicle are getting royally rammed by the used car market. I have 'lost' 20% off my Polo's value in the last 2 months. That HURTS!
Is it just the VW diesels that are losing value in the used car market or are the petrols taking a hit with the VW reputation as well?
Old 31st October 2015, 15:10   #54
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Me thinks half the owners would not even take the cars to the showroom for a fix. Those outside warranty would totally avoid it.
Bingo! Even if a company rolls out a recall for 100,000 cars, fact is, few ever come in for a fix.

Here's some details from the last scam (Chevrolet Tavera). The hit rate then was <20%:

Quote:
In a nation-wide recall campaign by General Motors (GM) that began in December, Nikhil Automobiles has fared miserably. In the last four months, the workshop has serviced a paltry 114 vehicles (As of 3 April). More than 400 calls have already been made, but vehicle owners are simply not interested. The same story is playing out in the rest of the country. GM India claims that it has serviced close to 21,000 vehicles across 277 authorized service outlets in the country. That’s 75 vehicles per outlet. Over a period of four months or 121 days. That’s not even one vehicle a day.

This is a problem for a car maker that’s involved in one of the largest recalls in the Indian automobile industry—114,000 vehicles to be exact. In July, the company recalled these vehicles to address emissions and specification issues, after it was pulled up by the government for fudging emissions data on vehicles sold in the country during 2005-2013.
Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Take a written undertaking from them that the power output will not be affected after the rework.
Performance simply cannot remain the same with a major engine remap. No company is going to give a written undertaking for the same.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st October 2015, 16:07   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Performance simply cannot remain the same with a major engine remap.
Does this call for another official review of the VW group cars, after the fix?
Chethan B G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2015, 17:42   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Does this call for another official review of the VW group cars, after the fix?
Already there are plenty of videos on you tube showing performance and efficiency comparisons with cheat mode on and off. Differences may seem marginal to the layman but if I were to lose even half a second in 0-100 performance I'd feel robbed .

With scandals like this coming out of reputed names like VW, I shudder to think what kind of make believe world we are living in! Corporates can stoop to any level it seems.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2015, 21:04   #57
Senior - BHPian

Though I do not see this issue spiralling out of control - but if it does - one can file a class action suit in India & or US or Germany. The grounds being ? Inconvinience or being short changed ? Just a thought.

Cheers
Old 31st October 2015, 21:17   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Though I do not see this issue spiralling out of control - but if it does - one can file a class action suit in India & or US or Germany. The grounds being ? Inconvinience or being short changed ? Just a thought.

Cheers

Germany doesn't have class action suit, at least not the way a class action suit is defined in the USA legal system.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class_action#Germany

If you check the link you will see something on India as well. But as with all legal things in India you need a legal degree to even being to understand how it works in India
Old 1st November 2015, 09:18   #59
Senior - BHPian

100,000 in India, gives a clear indication of the problem they are in. All of their own creation, so no sympathies.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 10:49   #60
BHPian

I remember CNBC Awaz (The Hindi Channel) reported as VW cars not meeting BS IV norms.
And that is why the number of recalls are expected to be in range of 100,000.
I think this number corresponds to total VW diesel cars sold in last 2-3 years for VW in India (Could be wrong).
CarJunki is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks