Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2015, 09:01   #121
BHPian

Re: VW likely to recall 300,000 cars in India due to emission scandal

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Plea for ban on Volkswagen vehicles' sale: NGT notice to Centre

Pretty dangerous development for VW India. NGT is capable of draconian rulings that ARAI will never dream of!

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/49979979.cms
The NGT should not the final authority on the banning the sales of the product.
The NGT is only sharing the limelight of the scam unearthed in USA.

A Few suggestions to the NGT

1. Scrap the stupid PUC system. In my entire period of getting PUC not once my car has been checked/confirmed for emissions. Neither the instruments are calibrated/maintained in the required conditions. I assume behind the face of PUC there may be a scam involving authorities from all domains read (manufacturer to the PUC checker). If they actually want to get going, they should first audit all the PUC machines & Licences.

2. Assuming that the VW emissions breached the US standards, there is no confirmatory evidence that the Indian emission levels have been breached. Also according to me, there was a loophole in the emission regulations & VW engineers successfully exploited it to their benefit.

3. The amount of all VW car emissions put together will never exceed the emissions of even 25% of the emissions of the "unmaintained" ageing trucks, buses, taxis, rixas of the country. Try evaluating a 10 year old truck vs the its level declared at the certification.

4. All vehicle are given a tolerance margin for their Emission tests- (V1 V2 V3 if i am not wrong- V1 being the higher v3 being the lowest). All manufacturers exploit these margins to harness the loop holes. Most of the vehicle always pass in the V3 margin- this margin will immediately breached as the vehicle degrades.

If NGT bans VW products, the same rule should be applied to all the vehicles. This possibly will lead us to the stone age bullock/horse cart era. I should probably get one soon
Old 4th December 2015, 11:50   #122
BHPian

Of all the harebrained, nonsensical, knee jerk reaction, this one takes the cake. They really should look to reducing more serious forms of pollution.

Highly doubt such a ban will be enforced. Just think of the impact on employees and suppliers lives.

Our regulatory authorities are turning into even more half baked idiots as the years go by.
Old 4th December 2015, 12:06   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post

2. Assuming that the VW emissions breached the US standards, there is no confirmatory evidence that the Indian emission levels have been breached. Also according to me, there was a loophole in the emission regulations & VW engineers successfully exploited it to their benefit.

3. The amount of all VW car emissions put together will never exceed the emissions of even 25% of the emissions of the "unmaintained" ageing trucks, buses, taxis, rixas of the country. Try evaluating a 10 year old truck vs the its level declared at the certification.
I think this is an misleading argument. This is the same type of "Anniyan" argument. If someone else is stealing big, what's the harm in stealing a little bit? Right? No.

Regardless of our mobile chimneys.. er..lorries, and how our government regulates that, VW should be dealt with as we see fit. We cannot just say "Oh, the AL lorry is emitting so much smoke. Let's fix that first and then come to VW"

Policy making isn't easy since it has to cover a large spectrum. It will take time and we cannot wait till we design a policy that will cover every single tiny bit and then enforce it. Policy can evolve and that is the best thing to do anyways.

The rest, I agree. The NGT has been, at best, a knee-jerk reaction to all the pollution problems. Their influence, authority and thought is inept, flawed and mostly, just not in line with what the country needs. VW is their "bakra" and they are gonna milk it or feast on it. They care two hoots about the customer.

I always wondered about the Omni vehicles that are positioned to PUC and if they are checked for PUC, what would happen
Old 4th December 2015, 12:33   #124
Senior - BHPian

VW likely to recall 300,000 cars in India due to emission scandal

I am sure that by the strong defence shown by the Bhpians on this forum by way of "Other vehicles are also doing it" (even though they are CVs and were of old technology) Govt will think twice before taking any action. This is bringing convenient arguments to suit your purpose, why there is no talk of German Engineering and Premiumness while comparing with AL trucks and Bajaj Autos, shameful at the least.
Second argument comes is No. of people depending on it, it seems to be an reasonable argument IF AND ONLY IF is applied to all cases equally, the old Autos and other CVs are still plying on roads just because of this same reason.
If Govt takes strong action, we will complain, if its doesn't even then we will complain.
An interesting parallel comes to my mind is that while the most no. Of people are dependent on tourism, does it automatically give them right to cheat a tourist.

Last edited by carwatcher : 4th December 2015 at 12:36.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks