Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2015, 20:47   #91
BHPian

re: VW likely to recall 300,000 cars in India due to emission scandal

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousshoes View Post
I am incredibly disappointed to learn that vw has cheated in the higher and lower segment vehicles as well. What I can't fathom is the Pollution checks in our country. Do they even work? And what standards do they adhere to?! because I'm sure the cheat code doesn't come into play when you're revving at a standstill, for example at a signal.
From what I gather this happens only during the test mode, ie where the front tyres rotated, the rear wheels are stationary and there is no significant steering input.
http://jalopnik.com/understanding-th...iss-1732175835
I just booked my Vento tsi last week, but I hope the punishment meted out is absolutely stringent and has a component that makes sure that vw invests a hefty percentage of its income into pollution control research that is open to all auto companies.
What a Shame volkswagen. You've become the Lance Armstrong of the car industry.

What pollution checks in India ? They give you a PUC without even testing. Just click the pic of no. plate and its done.

"the position of the steering wheel, vehicle speed, the duration of the engine’s operation, and barometric pressure" -- all very specific indicators of an emissions test -- acted as the activation switch for the "defeat device".

"so a smart hood switch could double as a defeat device." Or, another sensor could detect when a vehicle's traction control unit was disabled, which is required during emissions testing, and place the emission system into a different mode.
Metallicar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 13:52   #92
Senior - BHPian

Can someone please explain that we have long history of Skoda and VW using 'Adulterated Fuel' in their defense for various problems face by their Indian customers, is it possible that they deliberately didn't change their fuel pump, filter and other related parts to comply with Indian fuel quality for the reason that their cheat device doesn't allow them to do so.

I know its a wild guess but nonetheless possible.
carwatcher is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 16:20   #93
BHPian

VW likely to recall 100,000 cars in India due to emission scandal

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousshoes View Post
I am incredibly disappointed to learn that vw has cheated in the higher and lower segment vehicles as well. What I can't fathom is the Pollution checks in our country. Do they even work? And what standards do they adhere to?! because I'm sure the cheat code doesn't come into play when you're revving at a standstill, for example at a signal.

From what I gather this happens only during the test mode, ie where the front tyres rotated, the rear wheels are stationary and there is no significant steering input.

http://jalopnik.com/understanding-th...iss-1732175835

I just booked my Vento tsi last week, but I hope the punishment meted out is absolutely stringent and has a component that makes sure that vw invests a hefty percentage of its income into pollution control research that is open to all auto companies.

What a Shame volkswagen. You've become the Lance Armstrong of the car industry.

Your last line summed up the situation really well. Also would advise you to rethink your booking. I too was in the same boat but cancelled my booking and went and bought a Creta. Here were my reasons for cancelling
1) I just couldn't get over how deceitful they were when I read about the scam
2) the company is in a downward spiral, why buy their car
3) Yes, their cars are way better to drive than their Japanese and Koreans counterparts. But buying from them would make me feel like buying drugs from a drug dealer. You know they are cheats and resort to malpractices but you still go ahead because your personal pleasure is more important.

It broke my heart when I cancelled my polo Tsi booking but in hindsight I feel like I dodged a bullet.

Last edited by GTO : 16th November 2015 at 09:46. Reason: Language
vinj14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 21:23   #94
BHPian

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/49727521.cms

We need this in India.
Old 9th November 2015, 23:45   #95
BANNED

Shouldn't VW stop selling their cars in India, until they comply with Indian norms? Is is legal to sell a under-compliant product ?
siddutta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2015, 00:51   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicar View Post
I feel its very unlikely VW might do something like that here in India, Though i won't be suprised if they do it for consumers in US and Canada.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2015, 11:33   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddutta View Post
Shouldn't VW stop selling their cars in India, until they comply with Indian norms? Is is legal to sell a under-compliant product ?
Excellent question ! I was also wondering how are the allowed to sell the vehicles in India if its proved that they dont meet the norms.
ShaileshHinge is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2015, 23:52   #98
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaileshHinge View Post
Excellent question ! I was also wondering how are the allowed to sell the vehicles in India if its proved that they dont meet the norms.
If Maggi can be stopped for adding MSD , i see know no reasons why polluting engines be allowed..
siddutta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2015, 18:52   #99
BHPian

What read in autocar was that the 1.5 tdi were not affected and 1.6 tdi were part of the recall in India . My question is , In India there was not a lot difference between 1.6 tdi and 1.5 tdi and how is that 1.5 tdi's are not affected.
csnanjappa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2015, 08:39   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post

What read in autocar was that the 1.5 tdi were not affected and 1.6 tdi were part of the recall in India .
There seems to be a lot of confusion between the actual fact and the projected findings. One thing that seems to be quite common across all the articles is that the EA 189 Family engines are the ones affected.

Link

From what I understand, the notorious Diesel Gate can be classified into:

- Actual Hardware component

- Software tweak on ECU

Now, it is most unlikely that a hardware component is the culprit here and is all likely to be the software. This software is quite advanced and can detect the test conditions the car is being directed towards and accordingly switch the emission levels.

Considering the fact that Indian emission law is not as strict as the European ones, it could well be that this software is disabled on Indian Diesel Engines from factory.

I am not saying this is ethical in any way, but probably Indian TDI cars are ok for now
Old 12th November 2015, 09:59   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Are the owners of these cars going to be compensated in any way?
In the US, VolksWagen seems to be mulling a scheme where-in customers of effected cars might be given coupons for future use with VW brand or related cars/ service. The tune of the compensation is not yet very clear but some reports suggested an amount of USD 1250/. per customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaileshHinge View Post
ARAI has come out with its findings and has asked VW and group companies for an explanation. Depending on the response, the Government might as-well mull the option of banning temporary sale. As of now, they are maintaining status quo as the cars are road-worthy and safe in terms of drivability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddutta View Post
If Maggi can be stopped for adding MSD , i see know no reasons why polluting engines be allowed..
Sir, a minor correction in your statement, though we are digressing here. Nestle did not add MSG in its Maggi product and therefore had the quip 'No added MSG' on the label of the product. MSG that was found in cooked samples of Maggi then and even today is by way of its natural form due to the ingredients used. In the new packs, I am told they will do away with that label as it can cause a false sense of no MSG in the product at all whether artificial or natural.

It was high content of lead that a few labs found because of which it was banned initially but once they got clearance from three NABL accredited labs across India as per the Bombay High Court's notice, they are now allowed to go back to sales in India.

--Kalyan

Last edited by kalyan_hyd : 12th November 2015 at 09:59. Reason: Added signature
kalyan_hyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2015, 11:30   #102
BHPian

I think in US it might become compulsory for the customers to take their car to VW service center for whatever tweaks they are going to do. For this they will be paid. But in India I think there will neither be any compulsion nor any compensation.
Old 25th November 2015, 21:22   #103
BHPian

BERLIN: Volkswagen says it will take less than an hour to bring 1.6 and 2.0 liter turbodiesel engines in Europe into line with emissions rules.

The German automaker has pledged to fix 11 million vehicles worldwide that were discovered to contain software that enables them to cheat on emissions tests for nitrogen oxide.

Volkswagen said in a statement Wednesday that in Europe the 2.0 liter EA 189 engine will require only a software update taking half an hour to install.

It says the 1.6 liter engine will be fitted with a grid to improve the motor's efficiency, taking less than an hour.

Volkswagen says the measures only cover Volkswagen-branded models in Europe and should be completed by the end of next year. A proposal for the 1.2 liter models will follow.
Stay updated on the go with Times of India News App. Click here to download it for your device.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/49922918.cms
Old 25th November 2015, 23:41   #104
BHPian

Indian cars are of the European spec. Latest update from VW for Europe is here. I guess VW already has the answers.

http://www.cnet.com/news/volkswagen-...els-in-europe/
Old 30th November 2015, 07:42   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen is most likely to announce a voluntary recall and also issue a notice on the company website.

Quote:
The final tests from ARAI are yet to be received by the government authorities, but sources have confirmed a figure of about 3.14 lakhs Volkswagen vehicles in India fitted with EA 189 diesel engine.
Quote:
All the cars from Audi, SKODA and Volkswagen brands which have been using diesel engines affected globally will be recalled in India.

Quote:
According to ARAI there were vast variations in the levels found during the lab tests and those recorded from vehicles which are already on the road. The list of diesel Volkswagen Group cars affected by these findings, as of now, are the Jetta, Passat, Polo, Superb, Octavia and the Audi A4

http://www.autosarena.com/vw-emissio...-14-lakh-cars/

Last edited by volkman10 : 30th November 2015 at 07:47.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks