Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2016, 23:26   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Suzuki global site mentions all details except weight of the car. Weight of all other cars mentioned in website except baleno.
Baleno sold in Europe gives the full specifications including weights

The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-2.jpg
The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-2.1.jpg
The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-capture.jpg
The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-3.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 14th April 2016 at 23:34.
volkman10 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th April 2016, 23:33   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Specifications of Baleno sold in Europe gives the full specifications including weights
Thanks for pointing it out buddy. I had checked suzuki global site and couldn't find the same. 1.2 dualjet which is on sale in Europe weighs 940 kgs compared to 890 kgs of 1.2 petrol which is on sale in India. I was told by maruti engineer that body shell is same for both domestic and export variants. Now there is a weight difference of 50 kgs which I assume to be because of more features.
Old 15th April 2016, 11:41   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont think spares would be very expensive considering it is imported at 90,000 rs (whole 1.6 ddis for a cross is around 3 lakhs). Boosterjet engine price would be around 2 lakhs after all the duties, tax etc which is little more than localised K12 engine.
Cheers!
I really hope what you say turns out to be true. I paid 3500 bucks for a silencer of the Maruti 800 5 speed version while the silencer of a regular MPFi 800 costed around 1250 bucks. Another part was a fuel hose (SGP) that costs Rs 5000 for a 5 metre long hose (though only 1 metre is actually required). So while the common parts were pretty cheap, its only those specific to the 5 speed variant that costed a bomb.
longhorn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th June 2016, 21:55   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Baleno RS expected launch in September.

Quote:
It is very likely that Maruti will launch the Baleno RS only in the top of the line variant, Alpha however depending upon the response and demand; Maruti may even offer the RS variant in Zeta trim as well.
Quote:
The Baleno RS is likely to be priced very aggressively and it is expected to undercut its rivals by quite a significant margin. The speculated pricing is going to be around INR 8-8.25lakhs (Ex-showroom, Delhi) which is nearly a lakh over the standard 1.2L variant
http://www.motortrend.in/autonews/breaking.htm
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 14:46   #110
BHPian

Hope and pray that Maruti launches the automatic version of this one as well. A lot of the Polo GT TSI owners buy it for the comfort and convenience of an automatic. There is a significant market for the same and coming from Maruti it should find a lot of takers as well.

I feel Maruti may just launch the manual in the top trim and automatic in a lower trim just like they've done in the existing line up.

I feel it's high time Maruti provided automatic on the top end variants of it's cars. They did it with the Ciaz after a long time.
miharbe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 15:35   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
Hope and pray that Maruti launches the automatic version of this one as well. A lot of the Polo GT TSI owners buy it for the comfort and convenience of an automatic. There is a significant market for the same and coming from Maruti it should find a lot of takers as well.
True, but does MSIL have access to a fast shifting autobox?
Yes, they have. A Twin Clutch unit is used in S-Cross in EU.

http://overdrive.in/news/india-bound...matic-gearbox/
Old 9th June 2016, 15:46   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
True, but does MSIL have access to a fast shifting autobox?
Yes, they have. A Twin Clutch unit is used in S-Cross in EU.

http://overdrive.in/news/india-bound...matic-gearbox/
I'm no expert but there is a 6 speed automatic box referred to in the images above. It does 0-100 faster than the manual despite having a 10nm disadvantage in the torque. So it seems to be doing well. Is this the same gearbox as the dual clutch unit used by the S Cross?

Frankly, for the occasionally enthusiastic driver in me this should be enough.
miharbe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 11:07   #113
Senior - BHPian

A Baleno Boosterjet (presumably) running on test plates, spotted at Palm Beach road, Navi Mumbai. Compared to regular Balenos sold, appears considerably de-badged, not to mention a unique black shade for a hatchback.
There was hardly any other badge giveaway though, of the drivetrain
The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-img20160627wa0000.jpg
GeeTee TSI is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 12:14   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Baleno sold in Europe gives the full specifications including weights
With 20 More horses and 50NM more torque, the 0-100 of the boosterjet is just 1 second better than the dualjet?

Is it a super laggy engine or what? Frankly, was expecting a sub-10 second time at the very least from this >110 BHP/tonne car. This only about matches the GT TSI, which has a far lower power to weight ratio of about 92 BHP/tonne. Looks like another dud engine (for 0-100) like the S-cross 1.6, with some decently high power figures, which don't translate into real world performance.
d3mon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 12:25   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Is it a super laggy engine or what? Frankly, was expecting a sub-10 second time at the very least from this >110 BHP/tonne car. This only about matches the GT TSI, which has a far lower power to weight ratio of about 92 BHP/tonne. Looks like another dud engine (for 0-100) like the S-cross 1.6, with some decently high power figures, which don't translate into real world performance.
Let's not assume things here. You're concluding the engine is a dud even before you or I have driven it.

Numbers on paper is one thing and in real world is another. Point out one S-Cross 1.6L owner who is disappointed with the car's 0-100 time after living with it on a daily basis. The point I'm trying to make is that the Baleno 1.0 might be no Abarth Punto beater but let's wait and drive it before forming an opinion.
S2!!! is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 12:48   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
With 20 More horses and 50NM more torque, the 0-100 of the boosterjet is just 1 second better than the dualjet?

Maruti engineers were testing Baleno along with Polo GT TSI at Cochin. When I asked them why not benchmark against Punto abarth (manual vs manual comparison). He replied that Baleno booster jet and Polo GT has direct injection engine unlike Punto abarth. So they are comparing it with Polo with various parameters logged in their laptops.

0-100 is not the only criteria to judge performance IMHO. I have S-Cross 1.6 and never ever felt car is underpowered/dud engine. 0-100, I have never tried in my S-Cross and don't find a reason to do it on our roads. Real world performance for Indian driving condition should be strong mid range and in gear acceleration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
The point I'm trying to make is that the Baleno 1.0 might be no Abarth Punto beater but let's wait and drive it before forming an opinion.
Agree!!
Dr.Naren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 12:56   #117
Senior - BHPian

Interesting thing to note from the Euro spec Baleno is the Boosterjet needs RON 95 petrol. At present even major cities where BS4 is in place dispense RON 91. Am curious how will Suzuki introduce this in India?

I remember Vento TSI and Figo/Aspire DCTs recommend usage of RON 91/95 petrol. Not a strict RON 95 usage.

The Boosterjet AT is the same CVT (from ZF?) we get here on the NA version?
Old 28th June 2016, 14:37   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Let's not assume things here. You're concluding the engine is a dud even before you or I have driven it.

Numbers on paper is one thing and in real world is another. Point out one S-Cross 1.6L owner who is disappointed with the car's 0-100 time after living with it on a daily basis. The point I'm trying to make is that the Baleno 1.0 might be no Abarth Punto beater but let's wait and drive it before forming an opinion.
Quote:
0-100 is not the only criteria to judge performance IMHO. I have S-Cross 1.6 and never ever felt car is underpowered/dud engine. 0-100, I have never tried in my S-Cross and don't find a reason to do it on our roads. Real world performance for Indian driving condition should be strong mid range and in gear acceleration.

Off topic: Every single S-Cross 1.6 owner has complained of the copious amounts of turbo lag. Of course, they are more than happy when the turbo does kick in. Eventually. This hurts both 0-100 times, and day-to-day driving. Owners have complained about how it's hard to drive in the city and how inclines need you to be in the right gear at all times.

Anyway, coming back to the Baleno, the slow time is definitely suspicious. You're right we should wait for the actual drive reports, but if it really does have 110 BHP/tonne, it should show in the 0-100 sprint. That's the one place where raw power wins all the time, torque ratings be damned. I challenge you to find me another car with 110BHP/tonne that takes 11 seconds for 0-100.
Here's an incomplete list of cars with 0-100 in ~11 seconds (or less) with power to weight ratio of <<110 BHP/tonne.

GT TDI (90 bhp/tonne) ~10.5s
Vento/Rapid (87 bhp/tonne) ~11s
Yeti (4x4) (90 bhp/tonne) ~11.5s
S-cross 1.6 (92 bhp/tonne) ~11.5s
Aspire (95 bhp/tonne) ~10.5s
Jetta (97 bhp/tonne) ~11s
Octavia (101 bhp/tonne) ~10.5s
Cruze (105 bhp/tonne) ~11s
Laura TSI (125 bhp/tonne) ~8 seconds.

I'm sorry, but I'm just disappointed with the 11 second number. Should have been closer to 9 seconds, with the 110 bhp/tonne rating, going by the 0-100 numbers the other cars above put out.
d3mon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 14:54   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's the one place where raw power wins all the time, torque ratings be damned.
It is torque at the wheels and how easily it is put down that determines acceleration mate. Besides, the Cruze never had a very tractable motor and 0-100 timings were not that great for the car yet it was considered a strong performer. Perhaps 0-100 timings are not that impressive but have you considered what may come out of 100-160 times? Let's not resort to a single measure of performance to satisfy our needs.
Old 28th June 2016, 15:16   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
Compared to regular Balenos sold, appears considerably de-badged, not to mention a unique black shade for a hatchback.
There was hardly any other badge giveaway though, of the drivetrain
Attachment 1522050
Regular Baleno does not have a Suzuki badge at rear.
Baleno badge is at LHS.

Also petrol does not have any vvt badge anywhere, only diesel has ddis badging.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks