Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2016, 12:58   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
What stupid branding! If this is the Punto Pure then the other Punto is Impure?
If other manufacturers can call their cars " Duster", " Bolt" & "Creta", I think we can pardon Fiat for branding their car Punto Pure!!

Also, Pure seems to be a widely acceptable sub-nomenclature of late. The Aria has a Pure version, so does Motorola with their Moto X Pure!
Geo_Ipe is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 13:19   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: Fiat launches pre-facelift Punto as 'Punto Pure' at the Auto Expo 2016!

FIAT, I fully appreciate that you are trying to learn from Maruti, on selling two generations of the same model side-by-side. Like they do with the Alto.

Maybe you missed the point. It is two different generations of the same car being sold together at different price points. A facelift does not qualify as a new generation.

Must try harder next time, FIAT. For now, I am afraid the Indian junta is giving you an "F" on the report card.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 13:27   #18
BHPian

The only thing I see this doing is marginally improving the resale value of pre-facelift Puntos like mine.

The game has long since moved on and Fiat is caught in a time warp of sorts. It's a pity they haven't learned from the Linea Classic fiasco. The Punto Pure will meet the same fate. At best, I see it being lapped up by the Ola/Uber market.

BTW a little off-topic, I have seen a fair number of Punto Evos running yellow boards in Bangalore, so something must be going right.
Pyrotek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 13:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Technically both cars are exactly the same and if the media reports are to be believed, they will have the exact same / similar engine and transmission options.

I can understand manufacturers bringing back popular models from the dead (obviously in an all-new avatar) based on public demand but here, neither is the model popular, nor is there any demand for it. This is by far the lamest thing that I've heard in the recent times. I hope the report isn't true.
Not very true my friend.

When Evo was introduced, it came with a lot of chrome garnishing and many Fiat enthusiasts felt the older Punto model was still better looking. This was the feedback which reached Fiat and they as a welcome change have decided to re introduce the older model. What's the harm in doing that? When we have the Marutis & Hyundais selling the old rehashed models with only stickering changes, we do accept it isn't it?

Its just the exterior is changed IMO, the interiors are still the newer version Evo's as per some trusted sources.
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 16:57   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
That does not make sense. Why would they hold stock of a 1.5 year old car and even if they do, who would want to buy it?
This could be true. There was ad on the paper about benefits up to 1.5 lacs on the punto. I called vecto motors in Bangalore and the sales guy told me that the 1.5 lacs is for the pre-facelift version that was manufactured before the punto evo.

I asked him again if he is actually talking about a car manufactured more than an year ago and is lying idle. He said YES!
veyron_head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 17:20   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Very confusing. So now Fiat has 3 Punto hatchbacks: Pure, facelift and Abarth? What sense does that even make.

Fiat has lost the plot. They should gracefully retire their cars and focus on their best-selling engines. Am pretty sure the TJet engines will sell in tens of thousands if plonked into a Maruti
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 17:54   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Some online articles indicate that this is a stock clearance sale. That does not make sense. Why would they hold stock of a 1.5 year old car and even if they do, who would want to buy it?
I have also read the same on some forums. As you said, no one will want to buy that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
This could be true. There was ad on the paper about benefits up to 1.5 lacs on the punto. I called vecto motors in Bangalore and the sales guy told me that the 1.5 lacs is for the pre-facelift version that was manufactured before the punto evo.

I asked him again if he is actually talking about a car manufactured more than an year ago and is lying idle. He said YES!
Oh..!!! Pretty sad for a good car like Punto. Have to wait and see till the official FIAT announcement to see if the cars are actually manufactured a year and half ago. It may turn out dead on arrival if this is indeed true.

Last edited by GTO : 12th January 2016 at 10:25. Reason: Typo
Old 5th January 2016, 18:12   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Not very true my friend.

When Evo was introduced, it came with a lot of chrome garnishing and many Fiat enthusiasts felt the older Punto model was still better looking. This was the feedback which reached Fiat and they as a welcome change have decided to re introduce the older model. What's the harm in doing that? When we have the Marutis & Hyundais selling the old rehashed models with only stickering changes, we do accept it isn't it?

Its just the exterior is changed IMO, the interiors are still the newer version Evo's as per some trusted sources.
If that were really the case; that they are targeting a small portion of their already existing, already small customer base, then would it not have made more financial sense for the company to simply have offered a fitment of old hood, bumper, fenders and lighting components as some sort of discounted conversion kit? I really doubt the car will be sold spec to spec with the current version of the Punto. Pure is generally used as a euphemism for bare-bones in such cases
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 18:24   #24
Senior - BHPian

Some of us (I for one) would pay a premium for the old looks over the new (same goes for the pre facelift figo vs post facelift figo - not the current version) getting it for cheaper would be the icing on the cake.
Old 5th January 2016, 18:30   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
The only reason I see them do this is for the taxi market. At least in Bangalore, the OLA and Uber have signed up for 125 Punto Evos each (Active variant) for the yellow board. Apart from this I see no reason for the market in general to buy a prefacelift version and that too in the bare bones version. If they can consistently tap into this market, they can do a couple of hundreds over the current dismal sales.

But the number of refreshes Fiat is doing for Linea and Punto is like
I was just going to finalize the Punto Evo 90HP version and this news of Ola and Uber booking Puntos is definitely a disappointment for me
Old 5th January 2016, 19:01   #26
BHPian

I took delivery of my Punto evo emotion last year exactly on this day. If one year back the Grande Punto emotion was available with the evo's interiors, tail lamps and alloys, I would have definitely fallen for it. But after one year of being with the evo, now I don't feel the same. Evo's design is something that grows on you. Some of my friends used to dislike the chrome overdose, but I always felt it was rather tasteful and looks good in some shades. Any day the chrome on evo looks far better than those chrome Bentley grills that people pay extra for.
Night Raven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 22:51   #27
BHPian

FIAT please make a Punto Abarth Pure

The matt color on the Abarth just doesnt go with the chrome.
Old 6th January 2016, 11:41   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetti View Post
this might be a good option for those who were fans of the older design (like me ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
When Evo was introduced, it came with a lot of chrome garnishing and many Fiat enthusiasts felt the older Punto model was still better looking. This was the feedback which reached Fiat and they as a welcome change have decided to re introduce the older model.
Whenever an all-new design is launched - or even a facelift - it never gets 100% acceptance. There will always be those who prefer the older styling. That does NOT mean the manufacturer gets the 'deer in headlights' look & relaunches an old model that was already discontinued. What next? Relaunch the Palio Stile & Uno?

If pleasing those who liked the old design was important, no manufacturer would discontinue any model at all. That's not progress. When you have something new, stick with it. Car manufacturers must look forward, not backward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
The only reason I see them do this is for the taxi market. At least in Bangalore, the OLA and Uber have signed up for 125 Punto Evos each (Active variant) for the yellow board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
There were huge orders (considering FIAT's meagre sales) from the bangalore taxi scene recently. I guess OLA was the biggest customer.
If that's the case, then this Punto Pure version should be made available only to the cab segment (like the Dzire Tour). It's a good way to segregate.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 12:05   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If that's the case, then this Punto Pure version should be made available only to the cab segment (like the Dzire Tour). It's a good way to segregate.
Absolutely agree on this part. The Punto Pure will be available only in the bare bones variant aimed solely at the taxi market. However, these online portals add all sorts of masala and write crap which gives out all sorts of discussions.

The news of old puntos lying at the Factory as reported by some online portal is absolutely crap. There are no old puntos at the plant.
nkrishnap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 13:09   #30
BHPian

Agree that it's a totally retrospective move. If they think the new version is not working out then, then better to accept the mistake and correct it rather than go back. If Reindeer headlights are not selling then don't become a "deer in headlights" .

And if its a taxi version then there is no need to have so many versions.

In my opinion, FIAT needs to do something like what Royal Enfield did and change its image and create a niche market for itself rather than imitate others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Whenever an all-new design is launched - or even a facelift - it never gets 100% acceptance. There will always be those who prefer the older styling. That does NOT mean the manufacturer gets the 'deer in headlights' look & relaunches an old model that was already discontinued. What next? Relaunch the Palio Stile & Uno?

If pleasing those who liked the old design was important, no manufacturer would discontinue any model at all. That's not progress. When you have something new, stick with it. Car manufacturers must look forward, not backward.

Last edited by jetti : 6th January 2016 at 13:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks