Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2016, 14:16   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Fiat launches pre-facelift Punto as 'Punto Pure' at the Auto Expo 2016!

As per a report in CarWale, Fiat India will re-introduce their Punto hatchback next month and call it the Punto Pure. This is the version that was discontinued after the launch of the Punto Evo in 2014.

Quote:
Fiat India will re-introduce their Punto hatchback next month and call it the Punto Pure. The marketing outreach will be an attempt to introduce an affordable version of the brand Punto after the launch of the Punto Evo.

The Punto Pure will be available in three trims – Active, Dynamic and Emotion with the Emotion being the top-spec variant. If you are lucky, you may also be able to land yourself the original Punto Sport with the 90bhp setup of the diesel Multijet engine. We expect Fiat to come out with a very tempting price tag and overall package like the Fiat Linea Classic.
Fiat launches pre-facelift Punto as 'Punto Pure' at the Auto Expo 2016!-fiatpunto20112014exterior63225.jpg

Fiat is expected to price this very aggressively. The Punto Evo starts at 4.99L and with a price lower than this, the Punto Pure will fall in the Celerio/i10 and to be launched Zica territory. Not clear if the 90HP variant will be available although the reports indicate that it will be. Some online articles indicate that this is a stock clearance sale. That does not make sense. Why would they hold stock of a 1.5 year old car and even if they do, who would want to buy it?

Source: CarWale

Edit: Mods, There is a typo in title, please help correct.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 4th January 2016 at 14:31.
Rajeevraj is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 14:23   #2
BANNED

re: Fiat launches pre-facelift Punto as 'Punto Pure' at the Auto Expo 2016!

It beats me why they can't get an AMT variant for their cars, when Magneti Marelli is a subsidiary? Or is it too much of rocket science involved. They have nothing to lose after all. Or maybe selling cars is not as exciting as selling engines! AMT will take care of two big flaws, the rubbery gear shifts and the long clutch travel.
The Rationalist is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 14:33   #3
BHPian

Anything which could add to the sales volume if welcome for Fiat.
I see it as a good move, provided it turns out to be cost cutting of acceptable levels.
Nissan has tried the same with Micra and has not recorded anything substantial.
But looking at the fanbase and one of the best built cars Fiat produces, this might work for the company to certain extent.

I think this is how Fiat wants to float to the other shore (2017) when they will be having real new products to offer.

Best luck Fiat.
Old 4th January 2016, 14:34   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I would take the Carwale news about the Grande Punto coming in multiple variants with a pinch of salt. From what I have heard from Fiat folks is that it will come in the base variant with the Evo interiors with AC, Power Steering and power windows for the front.

Punto Evo will have two variants dynamic and emotion both with 90 hp motors, it will come with ABS and Airbags as standard (similar to the current Linea Line up).
nkrishnap is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 16:10   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
It beats me why they can't get an AMT variant for their cars, when Magneti Marelli is a subsidiary? Or is it too much of rocket science involved.
Copy rights can work like crazy in such cases. And in corporates, even though Magneti Marelli is a subsidiary of Fiat, there should be formal contract between these two, considering the company's current capacity limits, to sell anything. It is even possible that they are flooded by Maruti and Tata orders that they are unable to serve Fiat!
However, unless someone from either of these companies confirms we would never know whether Fiat wants to employ AMTs in their cars.
Another trend you can see is that, for a large percentage, only the low end cars that are equipped by AMT (such as B1 hatchbacks or below - of course leaving aside Zest and TUV300) and others in the top end are using CVT or some form of Dual clutch. Fiat, with its range of cars, actually have no need for an AMT!
If the Pure is indeed a clearance like rumours suggest, they would not want to invest more into AMT, by ripping apart the dashboards, would they?
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 16:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

This is welcome news!!

Many have complained that the Evo somehow spoilt the timeless beauty of the erswhile Punto(and I will agree to the statement personally).

It may not translate to high volumes but then whatever sells(even in 100s) is actually contributing to over 10% of Punto's monthly sales!!!

Dont make the cost cutting glaring in Pure though.
arnabchak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 21:14   #7
BHPian

Get me the real Punto Abarth which was based on this design. I'm ready to spend my hard earned money on it, since the Punto Evo Abarth just looks ridiculous.
Old 4th January 2016, 21:34   #8
BHPian

Oh this is a good news! Punto Pure will be an affordable version. But I hope with their exceptional build quality, they will have safety features. Unfortunately Punto Evo is giving safety features like ABS+EBD+dual air bags only at the top trim. More, they have not done their pricing properly now. The difference in cost between the middle and top trim of Punto Evo is too large. They in this regard should follow VW Polo instead. Eagerly waiting for the launch. :thumbup:
Old 4th January 2016, 22:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

Ok so let me get this right, Fiat is resurrecting a car which it introduced in 2009, raised in 2012, to be sold in 2016 alongside the 2014 refreshed version? Technically both cars are exactly the same and if the media reports are to be believed, they will have the exact same / similar engine and transmission options. So who are they trying to cater to? The taxi market? Didn't Fiat learn anything from the Linea Classic's failure?

I can understand manufacturers bringing back popular models from the dead (obviously in an all-new avatar) based on public demand but here, neither is the model popular, nor is there any demand for it. This is by far the lamest thing that I've heard in the recent times. I hope the report isn't true.
S2!!! is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 11:17   #10
BHPian

I don't understand the business side of this, but this might be a good option for those who were fans of the older design (like me ). This will be the best of both worlds - Grande Punto exterior with Punto Evo interior! They should have launched this years back. Not sure if it will have any impact on sales even if this news is true.
jetti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 11:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

If true, this'll atleast get some sales to the dealers in small centers.

I don't think they'll offer a warranty period same as Evo.

EoD this'll return them service revenues. Their service centers are idle otherwise.

Nobody cares which year model, as it is very few people in India know anything about FIAT. They're virtually wiped out of the market.
Old 5th January 2016, 11:51   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Agreed with S2!!! What an absolutely dumb move. Fiat must be the only manufacturer to relaunch a discontinued pre-facelift car.

The only time it makes sense to concurrently sell a previous generation car (not pre-facelift) is when there's an established taxi market for it. Say, how Maruti sells ~3000 last-gen Dzires to the cab segment. But they're very strict about not offering it to the personal segment, thereby making a clear differentiation between the two. Toyota might follow this approach with the current & next-gen Innova too.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 12:29   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Agreed with S2!!! What an absolutely dumb move. Fiat must be the only manufacturer to relaunch a discontinued pre-facelift car.

The only time it makes sense to concurrently sell a previous generation car (not pre-facelift) is when there's an established taxi market for it. Say, how Maruti sells ~3000 last-gen Dzires to the cab segment. But they're very strict about not offering it to the personal segment, thereby making a clear differentiation between the two. Toyota might follow this approach with the current & next-gen Innova too.
The only reason I see them do this is for the taxi market. At least in Bangalore, the OLA and Uber have signed up for 125 Punto Evos each (Active variant) for the yellow board. Apart from this I see no reason for the market in general to buy a prefacelift version and that too in the bare bones version. If they can consistently tap into this market, they can do a couple of hundreds over the current dismal sales.

But the number of refreshes Fiat is doing for Linea and Punto is like

Last edited by nkrishnap : 5th January 2016 at 12:31.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 12:41   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
So who are they trying to cater to? The taxi market? Didn't Fiat learn anything from the Linea Classic's failure?
There were huge orders (considering FIAT's meagre sales) from the bangalore taxi scene recently. I guess OLA was the biggest customer. I've seen even Avventura taxi on the roads here in bangalore. They are trying to differentiate the 75hp Punto (old one marketed as Pure) for the taxi market while retaining the Punto Evo only for the 90hp versions.

Guess it wont make much of a difference. But when you only sell 500 cars a month, an order of 100 cars a year might seem a big thing in itself.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 12:45   #15
BHPian

What stupid branding! If this is the Punto Pure then the other Punto is Impure?
Silverfire is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks