Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2016, 14:43   #46
BHPian

Re: Maruti slashes S-Cross prices by up to Rs. 2.05 lakhs!

Hi All,

Do you think the falling oil prices could have any connection with the slash? Diesel has been slashed by around 2 Lacs across!! What is the point?
Old 18th January 2016, 15:23   #47
BHPian

I bought 200 Zeta last week. They gave me 40K deduction in cash and 10K worth free accessories. So I am not feeling very bad after reading the news, but I am sure dealers would have got hold of this news. Hence the hurry to finish off the old stocks.
Old 18th January 2016, 15:26   #48
BHPian

I am quite amused seeing lot of people react that it is a "Welcome Move". It's a welcome move or better put welcome relief for MSIL and NEXA! That's all. In my opinion we should be much more harsh in our reaction to them.It's not like MSIL doesn't know to price cars. They are the experts. They are the king of pricing! Their strategy for India has been almost always a success from the word go no matter whether it sustained in the long run or not. And here, the stakes were much higher, humongous to put it in a word. They went ahead and announced NEXA, their most ambitious "Non Car Announcement" Ever. They knew that people are aware what the market prices are, across brands for every little luxury. knowing all this, having one of the biggest team of Management pundits in their pockets, experts in their kitty, they announced S-Cross and boy what a sloppy job they did! Their basic mistake was that they took people for granted. They thought royalty can and should begin from Day 1.

The only good thing they did was they slapped themselves out of their self induced hibernation and quickly corrected themselves before the launch of BALENO (I Still Don't understand why they had to name it after a failed car when they could have called it something like ESTEEM a big Indian Success if at all they wanted an old name). Direct impact of Pricing error of S-Cross was resolved with Baleno and resulted in one more Run away Success in MSIL kitty for NOW. But does that take away the fact that close to 17000 people invested in you and you turn their back just like that? MSIL acted like how Samsung or a HTC would react every time an Apple is launched. But here not only are the stakes high, they should also know that Indian Market punishes you very harshly even for your tiniest mistakes. I do sincerely hope MSIL comes up with something for the existing customers (at least the first 3 months time when there were hardly any discounts). Something will do; Anything will do ; To reciprocate the belief they showed in you. to show them that MSIL still stands by those who took a leap of faith with them! Couple of years back, I saw a movie about food industry where one of the leads say this dialogue. "It's easy to fill someone's stomach with food. But the real objective should be to fill that person's Mind" It applies everywhere!!

PS: It can be a big marketing win if they can, in another 6 months or so, start an exchange programme for people who wanted to go for a 320 but ended up buying 200 just due to budget constraints.
RaghuVis is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 15:49   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Guess this is the 1st time a Car Manufacturer has normalized discounts as revised ex-showroom prices. And that too the quantum is HUGE.

If only this historical gesture can be sweetened by giving existing S-Cross owners some sort of upgrade, service or warranty package

P.S: If the 2016 cars come with a revised decent alloy wheel design, that's it. Existing owners might curse Maruti and to an extent themselves :P
Old 18th January 2016, 15:53   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are the OTR prices for 2016 model S Cross at Bangalore! Baleno prices are included too.

Maruti slashes S-Cross prices by up to Rs. 2.05 lakhs!-img20160118wa0001.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 18th January 2016 at 15:54.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 16:31   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
It's not like MSIL doesn't know to price cars. They are the experts. They are the king of pricing! Their strategy for India has been almost always a success from the word go no matter whether it sustained in the long run or not.
I don't think Maruti has been immune to bad pricing decisions. I remember the WagonR and Alto being overpriced when they were first launched. Some would probably remember that the WagonR initially didn't have power steering, even for the VX trim.

But history has also shown that both those models have gone on to become market leaders in their respective segments. I think the S Cross has the potential to do the same.

But I agree that they should have sensed the pulse of the market better, especially for such a strategically important launch.
Old 18th January 2016, 18:52   #52
Senior - BHPian

Will Maruti refund the difference to customers like how suzuki 2 wheelers did with the inazuma? That'll be awesome.

I wouldn't call S Cross ugly, but Creta looks much better.
I'll comsider this step as a desperate attempt, but something Maruti had to do.
Old 18th January 2016, 18:56   #53
BHPian

The problem with these discounts and/or the price reduction is, I'm going to wait for the next announcement of opportunity. And, may be more may do the same.

What Maruti should have done is, it should have put the sticker of shvs and then reduced the price.

Girish
girishv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 19:08   #54

This is the current OTR in Delhi. Also got my S-Cross 1.3 Zeta delivered today at the old prices. Can't say if I got a good deal or what but even at current pricing got a discount of about 80K OTR.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti slashes S-Cross prices by up to Rs. 2.05 lakhs!-1453124279954.jpg  

ankitjains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 19:58   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
I do sincerely hope MSIL comes up with something for the existing customers (at least the first 3 months time when there were hardly any discounts). Something will do; Anything will do ; To reciprocate the belief they showed in you. to show them that MSIL still stands by those who took a leap of faith with them!
Sorry Sir, that does not seem like a possibility. This is pure business for Maruti Suzuki and there is no point in getting emotional. What is done is done. When people bought the car at a certain price then, it was their understanding that the car offered a certain value at that price, not Maruti's ! Maruti's job is to make us 'feel' that it offered a certain value, it is our job to calculate if it really does. Then comes the desirability factor, where things become complicated

Personally, I always felt that the car was not worth spending those many rupees initially when it was launched, many others may have thought the same leading to a drop in sales and hence this price correction ?

Off topic :Talking about business, My dad's Chevrolet Beat is searching for a good service center now. Dealerships here are opening and closing like Rambo Circus. And to reciprocate the faith showed by us in purchasing a Chevrolet, they are offering 500 Rs discount on a new battery and 5000 Rs discount on any Chevvy model I buy
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 20:18   #56
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
I am not greedy. I just wish for the HL of the Alpha. Isn't it fair ?
Not at all. You can even ask for 2 pairs - one as a standby

Hope maruti won't repeat the mistake while launching brezza and then the vitara.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 21:49   #57
BHPian

One thing to infer from the revised prices is how much overpriced the Duster and Ecosport seem to be.

The Duster is built on an old platform , has a barebones interiors and not much in the name of features. The Ecoaport on the other hand is priced on par with the S Cross despite availing the lower excise benefit of 12% instead of 24% because of ducking under 4m in length.

Both Ford and Renault don't seem to be interested in selling volumes and are content in exporting the vehicles.

We shouldn't be surprised if there are small to moderate discounts despite the price reduction in some time. Maruti off late seem to be discounting a lot which is unlike of Maruti generally.
Ragavsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 21:59   #58
Senior - BHPian

But what about those who just bought the car with the earlier pricing?

Isnt this unfair that someone paid 1 lac extra for the same car just a week back before the price slash was announced?

Doesn't these companies have a respect for someone's hard earned money. They should have priced it correct earlier only.
bluevolt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 22:41   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
But what about those who just bought the car with the earlier pricing?

Isnt this unfair that someone paid 1 lac extra for the same car just a week back before the price slash was announced?

Doesn't these companies have a respect for someone's hard earned money. They should have priced it correct earlier only.
Most of the sales that happened over the last month are highly discounted prices considering year-end, so the buyers who had taken delivery in the last couple of weeks in fact might have bought at much lower prices that the revised prices issued by Maruti. Maruti had just standardized the discounts that are offered in the last few weeks for the 2016 models as ex-showroom prices.

To quote an example, three weeks ago I was offered 10.8 for 1.3 Zeta and 14.2 for 1.6 alpha. With the revised list, the pricing stands approximately at 11.1 for 1.3 Zeta and 14.5 for 1.6 alpha.
mrbaddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 22:42   #60
Senior - BHPian

This was bound to happen. Grossly overpriced offering considering there is no brand value for Nexa/Maruti in the premium segment.
Feel sorry for the people who actually paid full price for this car.

I wont be surprised if it is brought down further.

Last edited by Hatari : 18th January 2016 at 22:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks