Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2016, 10:59   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti slashes S-Cross prices by up to Rs. 2.05 lakhs!

Good move by Maruti, disappointing for the early birds. Overall the pricing looks much more sensible now. With this pricing, there is a room for a Diesel Automatic that can take on the Creta and upcoming Duster.

Would a CVT work with the 320DDIS? Considering the power and flat torque curve of the diesel, I would assume the rubber band effect of the CVT can be negated.

Considering Renault is bringing the Duster with an AMT, would not be a bad idea to equip the S Cross with an AMT.

New pricing would also ensure that the S Cross petrol when it comes can be priced well.
Old 19th January 2016, 11:04   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Would a CVT work with the 320DDIS? Considering the power and flat torque curve of the diesel, I would assume the rubber band effect of the CVT can be negated.
Suzuki has a double-clutch transmission released globally for S Cross!

http://paultan.org/2015/07/01/suzuki...on-introduced/
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 11:16   #78
BHPian

They must have reasoned that if Hyundai can take customers for a ride by pricing Creta atrociously, then why not take a chance with the SCross. The gamble does not seem to have paid off, it is still priced a bit steep according to me. Should have really been launched as an i20, Jazz competitor
aviraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 11:28   #79
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post
...it is still priced a bit steep according to me. Should have really been launched as an i20, Jazz competitor
Come-on man! If you still think that SCross price is on the higher side, then you are expecting too much from Maruti. They have the Baleno in the i20 / Jazz range. If not enough, Brezza SUV will come in almost the same or a bit higher range, IMO. SCross is in a different league of itself. It is 4.3m in length, and is not enjoying the tax benefits.
Old 19th January 2016, 11:31   #80
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueManR View Post
As per my knowledge this is for three reasons:

1. Basic info ......

2. VAT is not uniform across all states, so variation in ex-showroom price again.....

3. Last but not least:Transportation charges....
The higher ex-showroom price and the excess road tax has been making me put off my car purchase for quite some time now. I keep hoping that the road tax case in the Karnataka high court (for which they later clarified that the stay is applicable only to the petitioner) is decided soon.

But my question here is, if I buy my car in another state where the VAT is lesser than Karnataka, can I bring that car into Karnataka and then register and pay the road tax. I will not be registering it in the other state, but directly registering in Karnataka. This would save me the VAT difference, the the related road tax difference (since the same is based on the ex-showroom with lower VAT) and in case the ex-showroom is below the 10 lakh slab, then I fall in the lower road tax slab.
Old 19th January 2016, 11:38   #81
BHPian

There are many people who are cursing MSIL for reducing prices as it is unfair to those who bought it earlier at higher prices. In today's economy, price is a function of time and demand and reduction or increase in prices can happen at any time and for any product. I buy a mobile phone and the next day, its prices drop by 30% on the same site. So the buyer now should sulk and curse the manufacturer.
And this is not the first time it has happened for cars. Many times, prices have been slashed due to excess inventory, slow demand or phasing out of model etc. You have to take it in your stride.
If MSIL prices more, people cry, what the hell? Maruti, so highly priced, they are nuts. When they reduce prices, people cry, what the hell? So unfair to people who bought before.
Old 19th January 2016, 11:50   #82
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahnjpr View Post
There are many people who are cursing MSIL for reducing prices as it is unfair to those who bought it earlier at higher prices. In today's economy, price is a function of time and demand and reduction or increase in prices can happen at any time and for any product. I buy a mobile phone and the next day, its prices drop by 30% on the same site. So the buyer now should sulk and curse the manufacturer.
And this is not the first time it has happened for cars. Many times, prices have been slashed due to excess inventory, slow demand or phasing out of model etc. You have to take it in your stride.
If MSIL prices more, people cry, what the hell? Maruti, so highly priced, they are nuts. When they reduce prices, people cry, what the hell? So unfair to people who bought before.
Ridiculous comparison, buying a mobile has a difference of few thousands and not couple of lacs. If this happens to you, maybe then you would understand...
mxh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 12:05   #83
Senior - BHPian

Haha! 5 months since launch and the price correction is here . Poor existing customers though!! 320 was always over priced and seems Maruti has learnt its lesson now. I had said the same thing on the launch thread that wait for 6 months and discounts would flow free.
Old 19th January 2016, 12:15   #84
BANNED

Usually, all companies will cite some reasons (either stupid or valid) for the price hike and slash. But didn't see anything from Maruti on this. No tax rule changes from government has happened, no addition of hybrid SHVS for tax exemption, no local production of the 1.6 engine, no removal of features. What Maruti is going to say about the reason?
Old 19th January 2016, 12:29   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
What Maruti is going to say about the reason?
Here is the closest you can get on the price reduction statement from MS,

Quote:
At a recent event, the carmaker accepted that there was indeed a disconnect between the perception of the 2 variants of the crossover and that corrective measures (read: discounts) have been taken.
http://auto.ndtv.com/news/maruti-suz...o-expo-1267236
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 12:31   #86
Senior - BHPian

I am not surprised at all. Already discounts were running high. No Offence to the owners but Imo it doesn't have the road presence like a Crete has, seriously. I see one every day as one of my neighbors bought it a month or so back. When I told him about the discounts offered he was cursing Maruti as he only managed to get 1 lac on top model 320 at that time.

This is a good precedent to follow. It will encourage more manufacturers to correct their pricing when the product won't sell. Creta looks really overpriced and I wonder how much its sales S cross can damage now.
Old 19th January 2016, 13:01   #87
BHPian

Mxh; completely understand where your emotions are rooted. Many s-cross owners like yourself feel 'ripped off' now.

Although not much of a consolation, but all we have to do now is focus on the fact that we have a new car, a very good one too and the face that you are enjoying it before others get to. Make good memories with it and hopefully you will forget it soon.

My post was a realist one. Nothing that we say do or post here would affect Maruti, or any other manufacturer whatsoever. Yes, they might get up and make note, but their 'think tanks' would have the final say.

It simply does not happen in India my friend.

As for the price comparison with mobiles, yes it is weird. In the mobile world, it's a norm to skim the market for the first couple of months, but it definitely comes as a shocker in the automotive world.

I personally wouldn't want s-cross to fail, especially the 1.6 is because it is a gem of an engine and a very good package overall. That's just the car guy in me speaking.

Last edited by McLaren Roxx : 19th January 2016 at 13:06.
Old 19th January 2016, 13:17   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just in case anyone was wondering about the sales split of the 1.3 vs 1.6:

Source

In other words, 12% of S-Cross sales are for the 1.6L.
I think around 2800 1.6 engines are imported till December. That means around 800 1.6 cars of 2015 are still to be sold or got sold over the last two weeks.
mrbaddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 13:26   #89
BHPian

This was much needed. I mean who would pay over 17 lakhs on-road for a car which is just an inflated hatch (I don't see it as a compact SUV in any way). Just a lakh more and you'll get the W8 version of XUV500, which is a highly competent, and proper SUV.

I'm really curious to know the logic behind Maruti pricing the S-cross at such exorbitant levels at its launch. Specially when Hyundai, by overpricing the Creta had given them a nice, comfortable slot to price the S-cross smartly. Just keep it 50-60k below Creta and you have the advantage right from the start.
Anyways, better late than never.

Now what i really want is that this eats into the sales of the Creta and forces Hyundai to correct the prices of Creta in a similar way. (at least or the top variants)
Creta I Believe is another over-priced product. But it's been a run-away success and hence Hyundai have been taking the customers for a ride. A price correction there is also much needed.
Old 19th January 2016, 13:34   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
I think around 2800 1.6 engines are imported till December.
They have more than 4500+ 1.6MJD's imported. The recent batch was imported in Dec-15.

They seem to have plans on the 1.6's , which we have no clue as of now!

Last edited by volkman10 : 19th January 2016 at 13:35.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks