Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2018, 19:23   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigatech2006 View Post
Is there any other alternative?
I was going to suggest Tata Nexon until you mentioned ride quality. But if you considered EcoSport acceptable, you might be okay with Nexon too. But then Nexon is more practical than a fun to drive car as I noted in my post on the Nexon thread.

I would also go with others and advise against the Linea. Whatever little you gain is probably not worth it.
prakash_ajp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 19:27   #152
Team-BHP Support

Re: Fiat Linea 125 S with 123 BHP launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
Avventura and Linea TJET were my options.
Then you are missing the point.

Now imagine the scenario if you were to upgrade from an Avventura to a TJet for this requirement. Thats where I said the difference is insignificant, specially considering the money involved in the upgrade.

OP here is considering upgrading from a Punto to a Linea; he is not deciding between a Punto and a Linea.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 23:23   #153
BHPian

Quote:
I'm planning to buy the Linea 125s (I own a Punto MJD). In Sep 2018, does it make sense to go for it? If not, please help me with a similar car (fun drivers car + safety) in that price range. I know this has been an eternal question since the days of the Palio - please help me with it. Thanks guys!
I have a polo that is 4 years old now. A recent annual service included a software update that left a bad taste. I almost decided to sell it but was not sure if i was ready for another 5-7 year emi period.

So got some modifications done to the car and it has helped me fall in love with it again.

Also like another gentlemen mentioned here, I also got myself a bike: Honda CBR 250. I was almost on the verge of selling the car for a new and almost 16 Lakh sedan. I safely avoided that for now.

I am just trying to offer a different perspective here. There is, right now, nothing compelling out there to be purchased as I see it.

Regards
Bharath
bharath79 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 02:57   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In Sep 2018, does it make sense to go for it?
No.

Truth be told, no car on sale today (in its segment) can hold a candle to the driving dynamics and performance of the Linea T Jet. I doubt if there will ever be a car like this again. However; recommending a car this old is not good advice from my side. I must admit that as a past owner of this car (2011 make), given the opportunity, I may still buy one today even after knowing what I am getting into.

Your next best bet for petrol powered thrills is the ubiquitous Honda City. Yes; almost everyone in the market owns one of these and for good reason. It is practical, won't fall apart, drives reasonably well and when the day comes to sell it, you will have folks falling at your feet. You won't need to budge on the price too.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 07:23   #155
BHPian

Quote:
In Sep 2018, does it make sense to go for it? If not, please help me with a similar car (fun drivers car + safety) in that price range.
If you go with your head then it's a BIG no as sandeepmohan has said. But if you like driving I don't think any other car comes close at that price range. Truth be told, mine was a heart over head impulsive buy when I test drove one 4 1/2 years ago and I have absolutely no regrets on my decision. The car has been bullet proof even after all the mods I have done, and would probably be my first choice today if I had to buy a fun to drive car.
keroo1099 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 10:01   #156
BHPian

I'd like to thank everyone that provided insights into buying a linea and a new car in general. Lovely perspectives and suggestions!

So, here's my decision (since I was already half way into it):
- Last week, while visiitng dealers, I had asked for a test drive of the Linea and Vento (t-jet and 1.6mpi, back-to-back) - only if there's considerable improvement over my Punto, I'll even consider them (not upgrade, but a second car for now).

If the above doesn't appeal, I'll install Dieseltronics on my Punto, probably give it a freshcoat of paint/touchups and live happily ever after

Thanks again for all your valuable suggestions and guidance!
gigatech2006 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 10:46   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Then you are missing the point.

Now imagine the scenario if you were to upgrade from an Avventura to a TJet for this requirement. Thats where I said the difference is insignificant, specially considering the money involved in the upgrade.

OP here is considering upgrading from a Punto to a Linea; he is not deciding between a Punto and a Linea.
I understood the context Sir but just added my experience to show how even a simple thing can affect the decision making process. If you ask me now, I would gladly pick the TJET over the Punto/Avventura anyday if I want an upgrade. Punto or Linea is a decision depending on needs as well - more rear legroom, 500 litre boot and highway needs or a daily city driver with a need for hatchback.

Having said that would have suggested Linea 3-4 years before but now with sales in single or double digits, it would be wise to stick to the Punto since it is built well and can offer a trouble free experience.

But if heart rules over the head then please also note that there was a palio which had undergone accident repairs in a Fiat delaership and returned back to owner in good condition post service. Took 1-2 months but car was back to normal and this is from our very own forum.
whencut86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 14:50   #158
BHPian

Just came across a 2014 Tjet done 34,000 kms on Mahindra First Choice. Asking price 5.5 lacs, negotiable (includes 1yr warranty and RSA). How much should I bring this down to if the car is good? Please advise.

Never bought a used vehicle before, so counting on your valuable suggestions.

Edit: If I were in Chennai, I'd take this vehicle to Raghav (Ignite Garage) and get it checked. I don't know of anyone reliable here and can't trust a used car dealer completely.

Last edited by gigatech2006 : 18th September 2018 at 14:58.
Old 18th September 2018, 16:42   #159
Senior - BHPian

So that you can get some idea , I recently saw an ad for a top end 2014 Tjet on carwale quoting 4.9 lacs in Bangalore, negotiable. Single owner but the pre-2014 facelift version with warranty till 2019.

I get my Punto serviced from Pride cars (Friendly Neighbourhood Garage - Pride Cars (Bangalore)) - you can get in touch with Harish .

Last edited by sdp1975 : 18th September 2018 at 16:44.
sdp1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 17:16   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
So that you can get some idea , I recently saw an ad for a top end 2014 Tjet on carwale quoting 4.9 lacs in Bangalore, negotiable. Single owner but the pre-2014 facelift version with warranty till 2019.

I get my Punto serviced from Pride cars (Friendly Neighbourhood Garage - Pride Cars (Bangalore)) - you can get in touch with Harish .
Vouch for Harish, just last week took Punto to him and was a pleasant experience.
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 05:59   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please advise.
Please call up the insurance provider of the car to check if the car has been involved in any minor or major crash. Validate the odometer reading. I do not know how you do this. One way is to call the last owner direct and check what he recalls the odometer was last. Do not hint to the dealer you are trying to fetch such information. Seems alright to me going by the age of the car but still.

Start car. Let it idle for a few minutes. Pull out oil dip stick and check condition of oil. It should be almost colorless if recently replaced or serviced by FCA.

Check tires, battery, brakes and clutch. Even for a non abused car, estimate over head costs for replacing all braking components and tires for sure.

Go to FCA service and check service records. They do not need the car for this.

To be honest, if you are going to cough up this sort of money (in cash) for a Linea, can afford to pay out an emi for 3-5 years, you might as well make it a down payment and get a new one. A lac minimum is what discounts you can get for a Linea T Jet+.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 20th September 2018 at 06:06.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2018, 22:06   #162
BHPian

Update: checked the used 2014 linea. The moment I turned on the ignition I got the check engine light. The engine was idling at 1200 rpm and it started fluctuating a bit before settling down to 800.

Test drove the car and there was noticeable judder felt on the steering and accelerator pedals. I walked away.

Btw, is there a dynamic/mechanical difference between VW vento and rapid? Why would someone prefer the one over the other?
Old 22nd September 2018, 22:28   #163
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Btw, is there a dynamic/mechanical difference between VW vento and rapid? Why would someone prefer the one over the other?
As per our official reviews - suspension tuning is better on the Rapid in terms of ride and handling balance.
Old 24th September 2018, 05:13   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
More a personal preference over styling.

I have not driven the Rapid all that much to comment on the suspension. I don't expect it to be too different.

You do not get the brilliant 1.2l Tsi motor in the Skoda Rapid. This is limited to the VW Vento. A gem of a motor. The 1.6l petrol is best avoided.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 10:57   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
You do not get the brilliant 1.2l Tsi motor in the Skoda Rapid. This is limited to the VW Vento. A gem of a motor. The 1.6l petrol is best avoided.
If only the 1.2l is available in manual I’ll happily buy that. That’s one of the primary reason for considering tjet in the first place. And no more diesel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks