Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2016, 18:39   #16
BANNED

Re: October 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Production stoppage of Ritz might have helped Celerio to jump to 9k levels, and old i10 to an extend. But is Celerio available for taxi market?

Hope Tiago helps Tata to say "Tata" to "only-for-taxi" image.

Grand i10 is nudging the Wagon-R and Swift for third spot.

Chevy Enjoy sales touching 1K mark. Is there any bulk purchase? News about its discontinuation is false?

The difference of 1L between old and new Bolero is helping it to go to the 8K levels.

Crysta demand is cooling off, or production diverted to Fortuner?
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 19:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Great analysis as usual.
It seems that the recent facelifts (Brio/Amaze) arent really helping Honda at all. Just 535 units of a "newly" launched Japanese hatchback, means Honda has just killed it off with their pricing strategy.
Honda has not given priority to Brio since Amaze launch. It has not been promoted & the numbers you see are from people wanting a 2nd Car. If you suggest it to a 1st time buyer, he will choose other options. Since you have one, enjoy it & don't be worried by its numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Tata's surprise package, the Tiago, has gone past 6,000 units in a month for the first time in it's sales career. Extremely commendable feat - considering the competition it's up against in that segment. Excellent for Tata, and will definitely give a huge boost to the Hexa's chances in the future.
Agree, I am happy that Tiago is doing well & is carrying Tata beyond Expectations. Hexa is the Next Big Impressive thing from them. And just like you, it might also end up in our garage soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Also of note, probably for the first time ever, the top 8 monthly bestsellers have registered dealer dispatches of over 10,000 units. Very encouraging and positive indication for the PV industry.
This is indeed a brave sign towards Good Future, The Budget disappointed the Auto Sector. The GST too will be on same lines (28% Slab on Vehicles, Highest among the selected values). Let's hope the GOI doesn't disappoint this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Shocked at Aspire's sales. They shipped just 1162 units in the festive months, yet expect customers to wait for 2-4 months for the car citing 'huge demand'. If they keep this on, I won't be surprised if Aspire's sales go below 500.
Well, Ford have to blame themselves. They are not ready to market it, leaving doubts on prospective buyers mind etc, I don't know why Ford have choosen this Wonderful Sedan for this purpose. 2-4 month waiting on a car that's not setting sales chart on fire is a joke.
CarguyNish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 20:02   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
But is Celerio available for taxi market?
You must book app based Taxi while in Delhi and you will either get into a WagonR or a Celerio! We took a ride from Airport to NOIDA and then 3 rides in NOIDA In 2 days. All were WagonRs and at the Airport while waiting for our Cab, we saw so many Celerios as Taxis too.

Quote:
Chevy Enjoy sales touching 1K mark. Is there any bulk purchase? News about its discontinuation is false?
Price cuts last month to almost 1.9 Lacs for certain variants is the reason.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4077526
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 20:49   #19
BHPian

Glad to see Duster back in the game. Last month numbers were little surprising for Duster. It seems to be settling at close to 2K units per month.

No doubt that, it's a very competent product & gives so much of options ( 2WD, 4WD, AMT, Petrol engine, Diesel engine with 85 BHP & 110 BHP ). Adventure Edition also got added recently.

Renault can easily double the Duster sales if they do something about the Interiors. It's not bad but surely lacks the premium & luxury feel found in Creta. People do expect this for a vehicle that costs around 15L!

However, I must say that, Duster is the only SUV in the compact SUV segment which has proper SUV characters. Rugged styling, Macho appeal & imposing looks with great road presence!

IMHO, with current discounts going on, it's certainly a VFM product over expensive Creta!
RAHS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 23:03   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

The Grand i10 deserves every bit of its sales, according to me its THE perfect family car for India, kind of like what the 800 was 15 years ago. It even makes sense over an i20 simply because it has 95% of the space at a lower price, lower maintenance costs and better drivability. Its also one of the cleanest designed Hyundais of late, as the recent models have all gone overboard on design. The car while not being tall-boy is adequately tall enough that elderly/tall people will be incredibly happy with the seating and visibility and yet not so tall that the car starts swaying during turns. The back-seat is best-in-class without a doubt. Glad that the popularity is justified for once. The 1.2 petrol engine is just perfect for the car as well, whereas in the i20 its sorely underpowered.

All the rest of the figures seem to be usual fare, India is a country made for small cars and I'm glad that small cars are the ones selling in the end. Pollution is going to be an increasing problem worldwide and with a country like India having literally zilch green-norms its easy to see why Delhi is the way it is today.
dark.knight is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 23:32   #21
BHPian

Great analysis as usual! I think there is a typo in the Santa Fe numbers. 220 Santa Fe s left the facility last month for Hyundai. This takes the numbers above 50k for October 2016 making this the biggest month for them in terms of factory dispatches

Source
dgogold is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 23:47   #22
AYP
Senior - BHPian

1. Great to see the Tiago and the Kwid doing well in their segments.

2. The Ameo is doing well at 3k+ units. I think VW has crossed the 5k mark after a time. It was possible only because of the Ameo. Initially, it was pretty evident that the Ameo was more or less eating into the sales of the Polo. But with the introduction of the TDI, I can see that the total number of sales (Polo + Ameo) have increased by about a thousand units. We will have to wait for a month or two to get a clear picture though.

3. Ford is back to being a one car show.

4. On the above note, Honda only has the City to cheer about.

5. The Elantra almost became the leader of the segment.
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2016, 00:54   #23
BHPian

Revenue Calculation have been done for this month and have been posted here.

Top-25 Cars based on Revenue:
October 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-top-25-cars-revenue-oct-16.png
jpcoolguy is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th November 2016, 01:51   #24
BHPian

Tiago flexes the muscle!!! 6K units in its segment is commendable! Tata has a winner! Wish it sustains.
Zest shows its still in the game at 3.2K units.

Aspire and Figo dismal numbers even with those huge price cuts and festive cheer. A serious concern for Ford.
balajisv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2016, 02:08   #25
BHPian

Thanks Aditya for the Sales numbers and analysis for the month of October.

Few observations from my side:

1. Tata can safely pull the plug out of Nano since even the festive season failed to bring cheers to the car and also they have found a new bestseller in the form of Tiago which sold more than 6K, to register its highest ever sales after launch.

2. Eventhough Alto is still at the top of the ladder, the numbers have come down drastically from its peak. It had never gone below 20K level during the calendar year of 2015.

3. All the Hyundai cars - Eon, i10, Grand i10, Elite i20, Xcent, Elantra, Santa Fe (except Verna and Creta - Sep '16 was its best ever) registered their best month of 2016, which leads to Hyundai registering their all-time best monthly sales numbers, crossing the 50K mark (From AutoPunditz link, it seems 220 units of Santa Fe has been dispatched, which is the main reason for this and if it indeed 20 then 50K mark is yet to breached). But I do think 220 units of Santa Fe may be exaggeration since the maximum it has been sold this year is 78 back in Feb '16. But if it is indeed 220 units, then it has crossed the 200 mark after a very long time - Jul '14 to be precise.

4. Historic month for Celerio as this is its highest monthly sales ever (since its inception in Jan '14) and for Baleno as well registering its best ever month since launch. Vitara Brezza too crossed 10K mark for the 2nd time since launch which should bring good fortunes for Maruti in future.

5. Ironically, Maruti Suzuki's market share has gone down below 45% this month and only during the month of Jun '16 it has gone to 42% due to fire in one of its supplier's factory. Excluding Jun '16, the last time their market share went below 45% is way back in Mar '15.

6. KUV 100 steadily losing numbers while Tiago steadily gaining numbers - good market reaction. RIP Ritz. Figo crossed 2K after almost a year but its sibling Aspire loses steam - I think Ford is prioritizing their production alternate months.

7. This is a good month for the Compact Sedan Category - Dzire still steadily selling more than all the 5 competitors combined (Xcent, Amaze, Ameo, Zest, Aspire) - 17682 / 16599. This is one car which puzzles me everytime, when almost every other car in its category is better or equal but still able to outsell all the competitors combined - mind boggling . Xcent has crossed 5K mark after exactly 1 year - the last time it crossed was Oct '15. Amaze sees a sudden spurt in sales and Ameo and Zest are almost selling same number of units, with Ameo registering its best ever sales (buoyed by the Diesel launch) and Zest crossing 3K units after a pretty long time - in fact it never crossed 3K units last year, the last time it has crossed was in Dec '14.

8. Etios, with the launch of Platinum version and Bolero with its Mini version, had the best month of 2016 but I do think both cannot sustain this number. Scorpio's numbers are surprising - its previous best month was way back in Sep '14 when they sold 6,060 units. Sumo too had a good month crossing 1K units after a long time after Apr '15. On the other hand, XUV 500 seems to be holding of 2.5K levels, but with the impending launch of Hexa this may take a hit - have to wait and watch.

9. Honda must be scratching their heads - their both new launches BR-V and Brio facelift have bombed and Amaze too lost its place to Xcent this year. Only City is a saving grace, but the competition between City and Ciaz hotting up by each month - much like i20 Vs Baleno.

10. Corolla's sales seems to be dwindling with the launch of the new Elantra and spike in sales of Octavia. In fact, this is the lowest Toyota has dispatched Corolla since they have launched this generation during May '14, which is a telling thing and hope Toyota is making a note of it.

11. Superb has outsold its younger sibling Octavia for the 3rd month on a trot which is a very big thing considering their different segments. Here too, Camry seems to be hit the lowest number of sales since its launch - Toyota has twin worries and who would have thought that in both the segments Skoda is the one who is giving them headache.

12. Fortuner off to a good start (but not a strong start by its standards - may be since the launch is yet to happen), but have to wait and see whether it can hit the highs of 1500 units achieved during the previous generation.
jpcoolguy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th November 2016, 13:41   #26
BHPian

Thanks for the Sales Figures and Analysis. It was one of the most awaited one , considering the start and end of entire Festive month.

Stellar numbers for MSIL again. 10K+ numbers for new kids Brezza and Baleno, and established kids like Alto, Swift,Dzire,WagonR. But I noticed a drop in Market share. Does this mean preference to other brands over Maruti ?

Tata Motors upto 4th in market share, and Hyundai's increase in market share as well in this crucial month.
Tiago and Zest contributing handsomely to TML Market share. Brand trust coming back slowly yet steadily.

Fortuner numbers before it was launched? Is it dealer dispatch or booking numbers?

Toyota Innova Crysta figures down in this festive month is surprising, while equally surprising is the increase in number of Etios numbers.
Is Innova feeling the heat of TATA Hexa and its expected pricing? Only time will tell.

Renault Nissan Alliance market share 4th after MSIL, Hyundai and Mahindra. Renault Number 1 European Brand in India in terms of market share.

Last edited by SDP : 10th November 2016 at 13:46. Reason: Please restrict smiley usage to 2 per post
Old 10th November 2016, 13:43   #27
BHPian

Thanks for the untiring effort to analyse and give such an elaborate report. Maruti as usual claims 50% share of the 20 top sales. Hyundai gets 20% share. Rest is divided by all others. Happy to see City still has it nose ahead of Ciaz (I have a city 2014 ). Very pleased to see a Tata Product in Top 20. Tata keep it up.

Last edited by Seran Manian : 10th November 2016 at 13:44. Reason: Error corrected
Seran Manian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2016, 13:50   #28
BHPian

Thanks for the numbers Aditya !!

I did a quick compare of the sales in Oct 2013 and Oct 2016, below are the results:

October 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-20132016.jpg

The top 5 cars have remained the same.
Alto, Swift, Dzire, WagonR and Grand i10 sold 84621 units combined in Oct 2013.
In Oct 2016, these 5 together sold 80749 units.

The total sales in Oct 2013 was 229057 units, top 5 being 36.94%
The total sales in Oct 2016 was 276990 units, top 5 being 29.15%

This reduction is good sign showcasing how the industry is maturing. All the more better for the consumers.

Last edited by drive2eternity : 10th November 2016 at 13:52.
drive2eternity is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th November 2016, 14:10   #29
Senior - BHPian

Tata Bolt numbers have more than Doubled. Those looking for a small tata Tiago are buying Bolt it seems.
Old 10th November 2016, 15:27   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Tata Bolt numbers have more than Doubled. Those looking for a small tata Tiago are buying Bolt it seems.
I for one am waiting for the Tiago with rear folding seat having 60:40 split option, which the Bolt has

Last edited by AutoSphere : 10th November 2016 at 15:28. Reason: missed the critical input
AutoSphere is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks