Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2018, 16:18   #121
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Nano approaching end of production?

There's no doubt that the Nano is a good package: I know several people who use it as a daily driver and there's not a single complaint as such (not considering the power/refinement). To Tata's credit, they have put in enough effort into the product: be it acting on customer feedback (rear usable area) to providing it with AMT.

However, most things besides the product itself went wrong: the branding of the product (stress on the word cheap), the value proposition, the damage control and salvage during Nano-catching-fire incidents and then the price itself (from 1 lakh to well crossing 3 on road now). Add to that, the mention of Nano in the Mistry-Tata fight.

The Nano cannot stand a chance when the rockstar Alto is cheaper and fancier Kwid is around that price.

All in all, the writing is on the wall. It is time for curtains on the Nano. True to their current spirit, Tata should wind it up and come up with something smarter and better in this segment. Here's hoping they do!
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2018, 16:40   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Brand ' NANO ' is built.

Now they just need to go back to the drawing board, spice things a bit & Instead of giving up like this they need to start working on an all new Platform (next gen) to carry the NANO name forward & launch it before 2020 (well before next gen Alto & Kwid launch)
karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2018, 16:45   #123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Brand ' NANO ' is built.
Perhaps that is the problem.

Only those who are able to look past the brand, whatever and however it exists in their mind, look at the product itself. And the sales figures show how many people such there are.

Hopefully Tata can pull a Aria -> Hexa kind of rabbit.
libranof1987 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th July 2018, 07:40   #124
BHPian

A variation of what libranof1987 said:

Despite the cheap car tag, the Nano still had reasonable sales before the GenX came out. The pricing of the GenX put it in the territory of the apex predator of that segment, the Alto family range. If you are buying your first car then it is practically a no-brainer to buy a Nano paying almost the same price. The Alto is much more comfortable, capable and arguably has a higher ownership status. Even a trainee salesman can sway you into buying an Alto over a Nano. With the price difference between them so low, the Nano was bound to lose to the Alto, the Indian first time car buyer is a picky proposition.

I would say that the Nano was a species that overpriced itself to extinction.
sun_king is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th July 2018, 22:51   #125
BHPian

If I talk in a broad sense:
Tiago is from Indica family.
Tigor is from Indica/Indigo/Vista underpinnings.
Hexa is from Aria.
Nexon underpinnings from Indica/Indigo/ Vista.

If Tiago/Tigor/Hexa/Nexon can do well. I think Tata very well understands what needs to be done with Nano. A new name, a fresh design, quieter engine. Of course, positioning will be crucial. Going by Tata's history, they won't give easily give up. Not at least when it's Ratan Tata's dream project. What is sad that the cute/fancy nomenclature 'Nano' needs to go. Pixel can be a good name for sure. Just like you, i am eagerly waiting to see how Tata manages to make this smart city car a success story.
keeprevving is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 13:28   #126
BHPian

Tata Motors Stops Production Of The Nano; Available On Order Basis

Looks like Tata has stopped production of the Nano according to an article on Bloomberg. The below article is from NDTV however.

Tata Nano, Indica & Indigo discontinued-ratantatananoafp_650x400_41477555485.jpg

Quote:
Homegrown car-maker Tata Motors launched India's most affordable car, the Tata Nano almost 10 years back and was the brain child of chairman emeritus Tata Sons, Ratan Tata. According to a report in Bloomberg, the company has stopped the production of the Nano hatchback as a result of poor sales and decline in demand for a cheap car. Moreover, the company produced only one unit in the month of June compared to 275 units produced in the same period last year.

In September last year, Tata Motors said that the company would continue the production of Nano cars for some more time as the vehicle has an "emotional connect" with the Tata Group. The company said that the Nano plays an important role in its passenger vehicles segment and is its only product in the entry level hatchback segment. Priced between ₹ 2.25 lakh - ₹ 3.20 lakh, the Nano is the most affordable car not just in India, but also in the world. The Nano also comes in an AMT version.

In August last year, the company said that it is working on an alternate plan for the Nano like the electric version. It was then hinted as well that Tata will not phase out the Nano as there were sentimental reasons attached to it and the shareholders also wanted its production to continue.

However, the company has not entirely abandoned the Nano. The company will manufacture the Nano hatchback on an order basis from its Sanand facility in Gujarat. Meanwhile, the company will look to expand the manufacturing facility to cater to the growing demand of the Tigor and the Tiago for the Indian market.

We have reached out to Tata Motors and are awaiting a response from the company.
Source

Edit: Here is the Bloomberg article - Bloomberg

Cheers

Last edited by Joxster : 12th July 2018 at 13:36.
Joxster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 14:35   #127
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Motors Stops Production Of The Nano; Available On Order Basis

This news makes me sad. I had really high hopes from the Nano when it was announced because everyone, from man on the street who could not even afford two wheels to celebrities, to automobile companies were talking about it. Some celebs were even seen driving it and Nano was 'cool' an asset for any brand. Suddenly it felt that Nano will be a car that is going to transcend socio-economic status and boundaries in our heavily polluted and crowded choked cities. But alas, like always Tata managed to bungle up yet another promising car. Goodbye Nano!
Old 12th July 2018, 14:53   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Sad ! I would say it again - change the body style completely, up the engine power & specs - and launch a new car. Even an electric. When the e20 can sell @ 6 L odd, this can could have easily done better !
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 21:03   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
This news makes me sad.
Same here.

Similar thoughts echoed by at least one international publication: Goodbye Tata Nano
Quote:
The Tata Nano, I believe, is a milestone of automotive design and an unqualified engineering triumph, and I think it deserved a much better fate than to fade away, unwanted, because it was too good at its intended job of being the least expensive car possible
Amartya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 10:19   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Nano, Indica & Indigo discontinued

I've been following a journalist on an American website, Jalopnik, in his journey of dicovering the Tata Nano in the US.

Earlier in 2018, to review the Nano - he picked up the only Tata Nano which is street-legal in the US, from the Lane Motor Museum in Nashville, Tennessee. This article relates what he thinks about the Nano. In short, he thought (and still thinks) that the Nano belongs in the portals of automotive history as a milestone, right up there with the Model T and the VW Beetle - https://jalopnik.com/the-tata-nano-i...-ca-1823653663

Quote:
A Bugatti Chiron is, with the exception of safety and emissions regulations, an unrestricted car. It is arguably the ultimate expression of automotive technology. And yet, when it comes to the fundamental job of being a car, moving humans and some of their stuff from one place to another, the Nano can do that job about as well, for twice the number of people, for—get this—nearly one thousandth the price.

It’s also a thousand times cheaper, and can do the same job. Who cares if the Chiron can go 200 mph faster? The Nano is an engineering triumph, and the Chiron is an engineering stunt.
Finally, the same journalist has recently written an eulogy for the Nano - https://jalopnik.com/goodbye-tata-na...rve-1827513853

Quote:
On behalf of the human car-buying community, I’d like to formally apologize to the Tata Nano, and wish it a fond farewell. The Nano is effectively out of production now, with just one car built in June, and was, if we’re honest, a sales failure. But I don’t blame the car, which I maintain is brilliant; this one is on us, and our ridiculous and all-pervasive ideas about status.

But people didn’t buy the Nano in the expected droves because even the poorest people don’t want to be seen in something that everyone knows is the cheapest car in the world. Car ownership is inexorably tied with status and image, even in situations where being concerned with such things would be actually counterproductive to quality of life.

This is, of course, a ridiculous reason for the Nano to fail, but it’s absolutely part of being a human. This happens all the time, and cars are likely the biggest and least rational purchases humans make, all over the world, at all socioeconomic strata.

I’m sorry to see the Nano go. I think these will one day become collectible, so snatch up your Nano now, people. Someday the surviving Nanos will sell for genuinely insane prices and then the Nano will have the last laugh.

You’ll see.

Last edited by locusjag : 13th July 2018 at 10:21.
locusjag is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 12:27   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post

Finally, the same journalist has recently written an eulogy for the Nano - https://jalopnik.com/goodbye-tata-na...rve-1827513853
He is bang on!, me thinks. I am already in the process of procuring one. Nano definitely failed because of how we think about how others think about our cars. It is a marvel of an accomplishment and I will be a proud owner soon.
rrsteer is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 12:54   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
He is bang on!, me thinks. I am already in the process of procuring one. Nano definitely failed because of how we think about how others think about our cars. It is a marvel of an accomplishment and I will be a proud owner soon.
I know! I am myself pining for a Nano XTA. My wife needs to learn to actually drive in the real world after she gets her DL soon. And I would love to have it for city use as well. It clicks most boxes for me too.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 18:20   #133
BHPian

Having owned and driven the Nano for 6 years (now sold), i still say it was one of the best cars to use in the city. Excellent turn radius, small footprint for parking, huge interior space, more than decent power for standard city run (i could easily go up the many slopes of Hyderabad roads such as the InOrbit Mall road with 2 people), high ground clearance, and (maybe this is just me since i had the older model) i loved the non-power steering feel of the car, as i knew exactly where the wheels were going.

I too hope Tatas can bring it back in a modified avatar with more power, better brakes (to match the increased power), and/or a electric/hybrid engine or even a diesel engine. I am sure it would do well. But yes, they would have to change the name, since Nano, sadly, does not give a positive reaction in the minds of the larger automobile consumers. And their pockets matter for sales to happen.
DriverR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2018, 07:44   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Motors to officially pull the plug on Nano - Announcement to be made soon.

Quote:
The carmaker will most likely discontinue the model by the end of 2018-19 fiscal.
Link
Old 9th August 2018, 14:48   #135
Senior - BHPian

So, I want a small city car and I zeroed in the Nano XT. Facts such as the production has ended, resale value in the future, etc., do not matter to me. I have always liked it and I don't intend to sell it, would rather keep it as a collector's item.

No dealer has one in stock in the National Capital Region (I have checked with everyone). Some do have XTAs. I even checked with a couple of dealers in Uttarakhand. Same story there too.

I have now emailed Tata Motors customer care, to help if they can find a dealer which has an XT in stock, even if its a couple of hundred kilometres away.

Let's see if they can help me out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks