Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2018, 10:38   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Tata Nano, Indica & Indigo to be discontinued. Update: RIP Indica & Indigo

Tata Nano, Indica & Indigo discontinued-screen-shot-20180527-9.50.03-pm.png

I had a blast with my Xeta. It made all its torque at just 2600rpm, making for a fun drive.

Its not exactly the sort of car you regret selling and still miss decades later, but.. its the sort of car you have loads of memories in. Good ones.
rajushank84 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2018, 22:27   #107
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Tata Nano, Indica & Indigo to be discontinued. Update: RIP Indica & Indigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Attachment 1764688

I had a blast with my Xeta. It made all its torque at just 2600rpm, making for a fun drive.

Its not exactly the sort of car you regret selling and still miss decades later, but.. its the sort of car you have loads of memories in. Good ones.
Was yours the 1.4 or the later 1.2?

I have fond memories of our old Indigo CS TDi. This is her.

Tata Nano, Indica & Indigo discontinued-wp_000125c.jpg

I'm not sad to see the original 'more car per car' fade away. It was too old, and whatever Tata did to it, it was never going to win Indians' hearts again after the Swift came along. IIRC Tata used to pitch the Indigo Dicor against the original Swift diesel.

Love it or hate it, nobody can deny that the Indica and the Indigo heralded the era of the affordable diesel hatchback and sedan. The Indigo diesel was better than most other diesel options of the time, and one of the most refined and powerful small diesel engines to be had until the common rail brigade, particularly the Multijet, marched into Indian hearts.

The Indigo CS enabled many families like mine to move up to sedan class for hatchback money. We bought our Indigo TDi LX on 2010 for just 5.25 lacs, less than what a Swift VDi would have cost, and was very affordable to own as well, with good mileage and inexpensive spares. You just had to suffer through the bad service centres, inconsistent build and rough plastics.

Now that Tata has moved on to a higher class with the Tiago, Tigor and Xenon, the Indica and Indigo really have no place in the lineup, or in the showroom. In fact, I haven't seen an Indica or an Indigo in a Tata showroom since the launch of the Zest and the Bolt (haven't seen them lately either).

Wonder when Tata is going to make it official with the Zest and Bolt?
vivekgk is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th June 2018, 23:48   #108
BANNED

Having been fortunate to own a 2006 Indica Xeta V2 1.2 petrol, I remember the good time we have had till we sold it off in 2017. The car amazed me with its ruggedness which couldn't be paralleled by any modern hatch. The ground clearance was Humble on paper but was more than adequate when put to practical no road situations. I was about to opt for a diesel one on 2015 but decided not to after being left too miffed by the pilferage at the service centers(that have closed down and the current ASSs are better). The FE was around 13/11 which is around 3 kms lesser than fragile petrol vehicles and gave a hard time because of diesel deregulation which made it bitter to drive petrol vehicles. The build quality was great. I once rammed down our main gate(job induced amnesia!) when reversing and was left with a small imperceptible nick.

It still made a much better choice than Alto because I was much more comfortable that Dad returned home in this as opposed to an alto or 800.
COMMUTER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2018, 04:56   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
Was yours the 1.4 or the later 1.2?
It looks like a 2007+ model, and the only the GLX had the 1.4 ( which this isn't - no fogs, cosmetic bits etc) so this has to be a 1.2

Quote:
I have fond memories of our old Indigo CS TDi. This is her.

Attachment 1766664
Ah you've sold it eh? I remember replying to your buying thread as if it were only yesterday.
I'm still hanging onto mine ( and will do so for the next few years because it's been mothballed while I'm in the US)

Last edited by greenhorn : 14th June 2018 at 04:57.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2018, 09:12   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
It looks like a 2007+ model, and the only the GLX had the 1.4 ( which this isn't - no fogs, cosmetic bits etc) so this has to be a 1.2
Hmm. I thought the earlier Xetas were all 1.4, before the sub-4m excise duty cut in 2008. A friend had one, and they used to complain that the exhaust system trapped water and rusted like crazy. They had to replace the entire thing 3 times, twice under warranty and once out of it, as I recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Ah you've sold it eh? I remember replying to your buying thread as if it were only yesterday.
I'm still hanging onto mine ( and will do so for the next few years because it's been mothballed while I'm in the US)
Yup, Had to sell it off when we got the Ecosport in 2016. Sold it for 1.8 lacs (+20K exchange bonus) with 70K kms on the odo. I argued hard for our Nano to be sold off instead, but Dad wasn't having it. He loves the Nano.
vivekgk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2018, 09:33   #111
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
Hmm. I thought the earlier Xetas were all 1.4, before the sub-4m excise duty cut in 2008. A friend had one, and they used to complain that the exhaust system trapped water and rusted like crazy. They had to replace the entire thing 3 times, twice under warranty and once out of it, as I recall.

Yup, Had to sell it off when we got the Ecosport in 2016. Sold it for 1.8 lacs (+20K exchange bonus) with 70K kms on the odo. I argued hard for our Nano to be sold off instead, but Dad wasn't having it. He loves the Nano.
True. All GL series Xeta's were 1.4. After the excise rules, the 1.2 was launched with the GV series.

I owned the 2006 1.4 for 12 years. Did not have have any issues with the exhaust.
srh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2018, 10:28   #112
BANNED

We had our Xeta 1.2 from 2006 to 2017. Our Indica too had its 'too' worn silencer replaced at the fifth years when the odo was just 15000kms! I'm sure that the service centre(closed down now) had pilfered my car and swapped off the headlights and silencer with a number of other parts with the run down taxis for a pittance. Without this pilferage, this car would still have been going strong even now and might have held out in the market a way better.
Old 15th June 2018, 22:30   #113
Senior - BHPian

A Custom Pearl White Indica.
Tata Nano, Indica & Indigo discontinued-indica-large.jpg
Only eyesore is the chrome on rear taillights IMO.
All work done by TATA authorized service center.
jeepster is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th June 2018, 22:33   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
True. All GL series Xeta's were 1.4. After the excise rules, the 1.2 was launched with the GV series.

I owned the 2006 1.4 for 12 years. Did not have have any issues with the exhaust.
the xeta nomenclature is a bit complicated
They launched in GL* names, switched to GV*names sometime around 2006, and back to GL* sometime around 2007. I Recall when I was shopping in 2007 that all of them were called GLsomething
A detailed history is available here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tribute-3.html

I have had no issues with my Car's exhaust either, and it shows no sign of any rust or disintegration ( though my front subchassis started rotting away and had to be replaced)

Last edited by greenhorn : 16th June 2018 at 22:35.
Old 5th July 2018, 21:58   #115
Senior - BHPian

June production of Tata Nano seems to be one unit. You read it right, just one car produced in June 2018.
jinojohnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 11:02   #116
BHPian

Tata Nano approaching end of production?

As per the latest report, the Tata's dream small car project 'Nano' is approaching end of production with just one unit produced in June and only three units sold. Although as per the company no decision has been taken to stop the production. The Tata Nano was launched in the market in March 2009. The initial price of the car was close to Rs 1 lakh for the entry level model. However from the starting itself the car ran into trouble with the company getting into an ugly spat with the West Bengal Government over land acquisition issue which ultimately led to complete transfer of the company's infrastructure to Gujarat. All this further led to escalation in the cost of production and delays in deliveries.

News Courtesy: PTI
Quote:
New Delhi, July 5: Tata Motors' small car Nano is inching closer towards the end of its journey with just one unit produced in June, although the company maintained that no decision has been taken yet on stopping its production. The entry level car, brainchild of Ratan Tata who envisaged giving a safer and affordable alternative to families riding on two-wheelers, sold just three units last month in the domestic market. In a regulatory filing, Tata Motors said there was no export of Nano in June this year. It had shipped 25 units in the same month last year. In terms of production, only one unit was produced last month as against 275 units in June 2017. Domestic sales were at three units in June as against 167 units in the year-ago month.

When contacted for comments on whether the company has taken a decision to stop Nano production, a Tata Motors spokesperson said, "We are well aware that the Nano in its present form cannot continue beyond 2019 and may need fresh investments to survive. No decision has been made yet in this regard." The spokesperson further said, "Meanwhile, we continue to produce Nano catering to customer demand in key markets." Nano, which was unveiled in January 2008 at the Auto Expo with much expectations of being the people's car, could not live up to the billing. The car was launched in the market in March 2009 with an initial price of close to Rs 1 lakh for the basic model despite cost escalations, with Ratan Tata insisting that "a promise is a promise".

However, from the beginning, Nano courted trouble. It was originally planned to be rolled out from Tata Motors' proposed plant at Singur in West Bengal, where it faced intense political and farmer protests against land acquisition. The company had to shift its production to a new plant at Sanand in Gujarat. Instances of the car catching fire initially after it was launched didn't help its cause either. Ratan Tata had admitted that the company made the mistake of promoting the Nano as 'the cheapest car'. It become a loss-making model for Tata Motors with ex-Tata Sons chairman Mistry, who was abruptly removed from the post, even went on to claim that the Nano "consistently lost value, peaking at Rs 1,000 crore".

Mistry also termed the Nano as one of the "legacy hotspots" and there was "no line of sight to profitability for the Nano, any turnaround strategy". He had also claimed that Tata Motors did not stop producing the car due to "emotional reasons".
Image Courtesy: Google Images
Tata Nano, Indica & Indigo discontinued-tata-nano.jpg

Last edited by ssambyal1980 : 6th July 2018 at 11:12.
ssambyal1980 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 13:21   #117
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano approaching end of production?

I will be disheartened if this is indeed true. The Tata Nano is a superb vehicle for the congested city runs in its AMT guise. Small, nimble, and cost-effective. People are usually astonished by the space it offers on the inside once they step in.
I usually describe it as the Activa of the car world. I still see a lot of these Nano XTAs around Bangalore.

The car was let down by its "cheap" tag. If it was marketed as the "smart" city car I am sure it would have done quite well.
A new generation with a different name and better marketing and it might do ok. Similar to what the Hexa did for the Aria.
NiXTriX2004 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 13:33   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiXTriX2004 View Post
The car was let down by its "cheap" tag. If it was marketed as the "smart" city car I am sure it would have done quite well.
A new generation with a different name and better marketing and it might do ok. Similar to what the Hexa did for the Aria.
I second that. They can probably launch an EV version and launch it as a smart city car with some design tweaks and a new name. It will be a good competitor for Mahindra's E2O. I'm not sure though if the EV guise under development by Jeyam Motors will carry the nano label.
Flyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 15:49   #119
BHPian

My Nano Twist 2014 is going great guns. In fact I always use the Alto and my wife drives the Nano, and she has taken it to nearly 12K over the past 4 years. We both absolutely love the car. We have also taken the car on long drives from Bengaluru to Mantralayam (400 kms), Bengaluru-Tirupathi (2 times), and Bengaluru-Chennai (3 times).

Contrary to the popular perception of cheap price tag, I and my wife firmly believe that its the engine noise that meant the death kneel of the car. Whoever approved of the 2 cylinder engine needs to go, might have already been removed.
PNTLovesNano is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 17:23   #120
BHPian

I am a proud ex-Nano Owner.
I loved it to its core and enjoyed a lot during its tenure of 3 years with me.

But I honestly think that now it should be taken out from the market.
How hard you try to convince Indian market that it's the better option, they won't even give a glance as soon as the word 'Nano'.
Rather the longer TML drags Nano, harder it will be to execute the makeover of brand for them.

So, it's better to let the people forget the car for the period of 2 - 3 years, strengthen the Tata brand with some amazing new products and then bring back Nano with appropriate updates whichever are needed at that point of time. May be rather than Today, electric Nano will make more sense after 2 -3 years when the market would be more open towards such options.
DriveOnceMore is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks