Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2018, 17:22   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nano, Indica & Indigo discontinued

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
Got the Nano home.
Will post more photos and details on her own ownership thread.
Congratulations on your Nano, must say she looks stunning in white colour and black alloys. How much did it cost? I am sure you must have got decent discount.

Will look forward to your thread
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 17:27   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4Ever View Post
Congratulations on the purchase! I would if I could.

Given it is one of the last in the region, i am curious when was this actually manufactured? (Sales figure of recent months only indicate the dispatches not actual production)
Thanks! It was manufactured in Jan 2018.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Congratulations on your Nano, must say she looks stunning in white colour and black alloys. How much did it cost? I am sure you must have got decent discount.

Will look forward to your thread
Not much. And I didn't haggle much too. Since, they knew that I have been looking for a Nano, and no one else has one. Overall, I am happy with what I got.

I don't want to hijack this thread. Would prefer that all things related to my car, should go in her own thread.

Thanks everybody.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th January 2019 at 16:00. Reason: Minor formatting
ashutoshb is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 01:56   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Unsold Nanos in a yard at Thiruvananthapuram
This yard belongs to Kulathunkal Motors (a.k.a Perfect Honda), who used to be the biggest dealer and service center of Tata Motors in Trivandrum. They are supposedly in the middle of a dispute with Tata over pre mature termination of their dealership. Apparently, they wound up their dealership and started selling Honda Cars as Perfect Honda, before Tata could set up an alternate dealership. This resulted in a few months without a Tata dealer in Trivandrum. When the Zest, Bolt and Tiago were launched, Trivandrum didn't have a dealership. I remember I had to go to Concorde in Kochi to get a test drive of the Zest.

Anyway, there are a lot of Tata cars, from the Humble Nano to the Safari Storme, in that yard, and they can't be touched until the case is done. By which time, they will be better suited to the Rust in Pieces thread.
vivekgk is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 09:46   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
End of an era of poorly engineered vehicles - the indica and the Indigo. The horror stories of these vehicles will take a long time to erase. Good moves by Tata recently with the Nexon. Indica and Indigo history is their most difficult roadblock
Poorly engineered? That's funny to hear.

Indica, when launched was the most spacious car and was a promising product to the extent that Maruti Suzuki, then Maruti Maruyi Udyog Ltd, corrected the price of the 800 which was a segment below. Ratan Tata was famously quoted as saying,

"We have some good news for even those who are not booking the Indica. We have got the prices of the Maruti cars slashed for you."

The Indica was the first car to have various design in platform and body, Indigo (Regular sedan), Indigo CS (first compact sedan of India), Indigo XL (LWB), Indigo Marina (Estate).

The mistake TATA did was to extend their shelf life without any substantial update but IMO Indica & Indigo are the reason TAMO strives as a passenger car manufacturer today. So before you post your please do analyse the facts, its your opinion alright but opinions also need to be rational.

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 30th August 2018 at 10:07.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 20:45   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Motors to Stop NANO from April 2020, as expected.

Quote:
Tata Motors has no plans to invest and upgrade Ratan Tata's dream car Nano to meet BS-VI standards, a senior company official said Thursday indicating that the production and sales of the vehicle would stop from April 2020.
Link

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th January 2019 at 15:59. Reason: Minor formatting
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2019, 00:12   #156
Senior - BHPian

As far as I have read and I understand, BNVSAP makes all vehicles in India to offer ABS as standard from 1st April 2019. And as per reports, Nano will get discontinued in 2020 when BSVI norms kick in, so will Nano also get ABS and Driver Side Airbag etc. in the times ahead to meet these regulations, or will they pull the plug on it this year itself?

Can it not be positioned as a Quadricycle like Bajaj Quite and sold with a few modifications?
AdityaDeane is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 13:38   #157
BHPian

This news have been doing rounds after every six month for past 2 -3 years.
This time it seems quite inevitable and hence logical.

The idea, proposed by Aditya above, of converting it into Quadricycle seems interesting.
DriveOnceMore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 15:47   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Can it not be positioned as a Quadricycle like Bajaj Quite and sold with a few modifications?
It can be positioned as Quadricycle only when it weighs below 450kgs.

Currently Gen X Nano weighs around 700kgs.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th January 2019 at 15:59. Reason: Minor formatting
Old 29th January 2019, 16:41   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
It can be positioned as Quadricycle only when it weighs below 450kgs.

Currently Gen X Nano weighs around 700kgs.
Precisely why I wrote "with few modifications"! Lighter engine and body panels for a top speed of less than 75KMPH like in Bajaj Qute. I am sure they can shed these excess of 250Kgs if they work to make it compliant with the Quadricycle norms.
AdityaDeane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 10:56   #160
BHPian

Contrary to many opinions I am strongly against rebranding the Nano as a quadricycle. I feel that would be insulting to the dedicated efforts of Mr. Ratan Tata and his team of engineers to create a people's car from the scratch. The Nano should be reengineered/rebranded/renamed as a more upmarket electric car.
For Quadricycle there is the Tata Magic Iris. That is the vehicle cheap-minded individuals can own proudly.
smooth indian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 18:25   #161
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano approaching end of production?

The Tata Nano is more famous abroad than we Indians think. In 2012, on a business trip to Sweden, whenever I stated that I am from India, the usual statement which followed was, "Wow! You have the Tata Nano. What an engineering marvel!"
I would of course smile with pride, and then proceed to tell them how much fun my wife and I had, zipping around Goa, over the course of 5 days, in a Tata Nano. It was a quirky looking car, no doubt. But it was a superb city car. With the chiller AC, and small footprint, our summer holiday in Goa was all the more pleasant. The car proved itself again when I used it for 2 days in crowded Delhi in 2015 - that model was the Nano Twist, with power steering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeprevving View Post
If I talk in a broad sense:
Tiago is from Indica family.
Tigor is from Indica/Indigo/Vista underpinnings.
Hexa is from Aria.
Nexon underpinnings from Indica/Indigo/ Vista.
My friend, that is not entirely true. Just to set the record straight:
  • The Tiago is an "all-new platform" , although rumor says it is based off a heavily reworked 1st gen Indica floorpan. And then the Tigor is based off that.
  • The Indica Vista is a wholly different platform, called the X1. This platform is shared with the Indigo Manza, Bolt, Zest, and now the Nexon.
  • Yes, the Hexa and Aria use the same platform, the X2. This is also shared with the last gen Safari Storme and Storme Varicor 400 models.
Old 31st January 2019, 07:26   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Nano to be discontinued from April 2019

Quote:
With ABS to be mandatory on all cars sold from April 1, 2019, production of Tata’s iconic small car – which lacks this key safety feature – will finally end.
Quote:
From April 1, 2019, all cars made in India need to have an anti-lock braking system (ABS), which the Nano does not – and will not – get. With demand almost non-existent, it makes little financial sense for Tata Motors to invest in upgrading the Nano and giving it ABS at the end of its life cycle. And it is for this very reason that the Nano will neither be upgraded to meet the updated crash test norms nor meet the BS-VI emission norms – both of which will require an even bigger investment. Hence, the necessitation of ABS will be the final blow for the Nano, and the car will be discontinued in April 2019.

Source:

Last edited by volkman10 : 31st January 2019 at 07:28.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 02:03   #163
Senior - BHPian

My Nano bug. This one will stay with me till my ticker stops ticking. Better to have tried and lost than not try at all so thanks to Mr.Ratan Tata for trying.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano, Indica & Indigo discontinued-.jpg  

nickatnite is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 07:52   #164
Senior - BHPian

Looks like it's curtains for the cute Nano from April 2019 as the new norms kick in (ABS Compulsory on all cars to be sold from April 2019).

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...il-2019-411321
Old 1st February 2019, 08:19   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like this thread may need to be re-titled to read - Tata Nano, Indica, Indigo, Sumo, Safari & Hexa discontinued! BS 6 looks like a graveyard for more cars than we'd expect. Auto Car India have published something to this effect. Read about it at -

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4537262 (Tata Hexa : Official Review)

Last edited by locusjag : 1st February 2019 at 08:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks