Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2019, 11:04   #166
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar 2019/2020: A wishlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
............I think we will be at Mahindra's mercy as there is virtually no competition in this segment. Given the lower volumes Thar generates and the R&D cost involved, I am sure it will be about 13.x lakhs ex-showroom and hence about 15.x to 16 Lakhs on the road.
I agree that with the lack of serious competition in this segment, MM can unilaterally decide the price. However, the risk for MM is that too high a price will put off potential buyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
That would make the Gurkha a viable option, what with a hard top and all the other goodies bundled in.
In this context, I completely agree with you. For those you require a vehicle just for its off road capabilities, the Gurkha will immediately become a viable option with the hard top and other whistles and bells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
........For this reason I had put the TUV300+ (with that 2.2 L MHawk in the mildly detuned version, making it virtually bullet-proof!) on my radar. .......
However, since the Gurkha is not a great highway ride, others who are looking for a lifestyle vehicle with macho looks and a decent engine, will consider the TUV300+. It has a more powerful engine than the TUV300 and doesn't look to bad either.
Old 22nd April 2019, 16:05   #167
BANNED

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

^^^Neither the Gurkha nor the Thar were great highway mile-munchers when introduced - a corollary to their off-road competence. Rather like the super-high prices of super-competent rally cars (with their torsen diffs, studded tyres & space frame tubs.....) making them unsuitable for daily chores!

The current avatars of both the Gurkha & the Thar have tried to address this lack of cruising ability - with the new engines & gearing. But the idiosyncrasies continue - with one being offered with 3 doors & the other without a factory hard-top. But neither of the mfrs. are seriously worried, both offerings being niche products with limited appeal.

But as I've mentioned elsewhere, if the Thar had started life with a factory-fitted hard-top, I (and scores of other hopefuls!) would have been among the early customers. The aftermarket hard-top fitments are pathetic to say the least.

Last edited by shashanka : 22nd April 2019 at 16:07.
Old 22nd April 2019, 20:39   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
^^^Neither the Gurkha nor the Thar were great highway mile-munchers when introduced - a corollary to their off-road competence.

The Thar CRDe is BTW a decent highway mile muncher provided it is only two people and luggage. The engine is quiet peppy and the NGT530 gear box is good too, but the soft top is the main fly in the ointment. Once you add a hard top it is fine.
4x4addict is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2019, 06:26   #169
BANNED

Quote:
The Thar CRDe is BTW a decent highway mile muncher provided it is only two people and luggage. The engine is quiet peppy and the NGT530 gear box is good too, but the soft top is the main fly in the ointment. Once you add a hard top it is fine.
Agreed - the Thar CRDe is certainly a respectable cruiser. And I hope the new Gurkha (with the 2.2 L CR engine) should prove to be one too - and give the Thar some much needed stick. Now, if only Force they added that extra pair of doors....
Old 23rd April 2019, 10:31   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
And I hope the new Gurkha (with the 2.2 L CR engine) should prove to be one too - and give the Thar some much needed stick.

Cost aside, so far the reviews are promising. By the end of the year, all vehicles have to meet the new Bharath Safety Norms. This means Gurkha must have air bags and hence a new dashboard. Frankly, I am waiting for that version. Having come this far, it doesn't make sense for Force to keep using the totally outdated dashboard.

Quote:
Now, if only Force they added that extra pair of doors....

A basic and robust 4-Door, 4WD Gurkha/Thar CRDe will be a dream come true.
4x4addict is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2019, 11:08   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A basic and robust 4-Door, 4WD Gurkha/Thar CRDe will be a dream come true.
If we cross reference this thread "What are some features without which you won't buy a car?" , I wonder how some manufacturers have the courage to even design a basic vehicle like these two. And that makes Thar & Ghurka exotics, like sports cars you pay a lot more for a lot less (at least for Thar).
Kosfactor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 12:14   #172
BHPian

Quote:
..........But as I've mentioned elsewhere, if the Thar had started life with a factory-fitted hard-top, I (and scores of other hopefuls!) would have been among the early customers. The aftermarket hard-top fitments are pathetic to say the least.
MM somehow missed a great opportunity by not offering a hardtop variant, when launching the current version in 2015. Like you said, scores of Thar aficionados would have been converted into customers. Especially since the front seats had been replaced with those in the Scorpio and the air conditioner was quite efficient.

However, once the new safety and emission norms were announced and the government refused any extension, it was obvious that the Thar would have to be upgraded. So it made no sense to buy a vehicle which was going out of production. At least from a lifestyle point of view.

Quote:
....... A basic and robust 4-Door, 4WD Gurkha/Thar CRDe will be a dream come true.
Agree, with the sub-text that this will enable to costs to be controlled and therefore, the on OTR prices are affordable. Hopefully

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
If we cross reference this thread "What are some features without which you won't buy a car?" , I wonder how some manufacturers have the courage to even design a basic vehicle like these two. And that makes Thar & Ghurka exotics, like sports cars you pay a lot more for a lot less (at least for Thar).
From the reports emanating so far, it appears that MM have taken on board the feedback from forums like this, which explains the refinements proposed.

The key decision for the management is whether to take a gamble and keep the price affordable in the hope of creating a whole new segment of customer who want a Thar for the image/lifestyle looks and capabilities whilst using it mainly for local commutes.
Old 24th April 2019, 15:52   #173
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Well put, Kosfactor! - in fact both M&M as well as Force Motors should have come a lot further down the evolution/development road by now. And I believe they would have still stayed in the quagmire, had Maruti not come along and jolted the sector out of the comfortable slumber of the captive, controlled market of the licence raj!
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2019, 09:47   #174
Senior - BHPian

I was so impressed with the new 2020 Thar that...I bought a new 2018 Thar on December 31, 2018. (That's sarcasm). I bought one before they "gunk it up".

Mahindra needs to solve the rear seat problem. If you put in a couple of rear seats, forward facing, their height greatly obstructs the view out the back window. Despite what CMRV may decide, this is flat unsafe. And, no, you cannot mount seats on the rear wheel wells easily as this leaves insufficient head room. Mahindra is also going to have to solve how rear passengers are going to get in and out. The present rear access with canvas top and low metal swing door is NOT part of the "charm" of a jeep IMHO.

Mahindra needs to think this thru a little more. Until they do, I will putt around in my 2018 dinosaur. As 4x4Addict has said, it is adequate, if not stellar, for some long hwy rides. Providing you only have no more than 2 people or the people beyond 2 are tykes, amputees or midgets. Or some combination thereof. It is a decent combo "Bad Roader" and hwy slogger, if over-priced.

By the way, Mahindra solved the slow throttle response and tortoise acceleration of earlier Thars to some degree. My late 2018 Thar is much improved over my 2013 Thar (which I still have). However, I am looking around for a trustworthy remap option close to me.

Mahindra is in a bit of a dilemma. If it widens and lengthens the Thar too much, they are in effect reinventing the Bolero. Or, the Marshall. Actually, a Thar-like Bolero might not be a bad idea.

Remember this little Mahindra experiment from 11 years ago or so?
Attached Images

DirtyDan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th April 2019, 15:32   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not really. I drove it a couple of times on the new KMP highway where the speed limit is 120. At 100 kmph the wind drag on the boxy high front is tremendous and the leaf spring rear suspension takes a heavy toll on the body. Usually I keep it steady at 100 kmph on this highway.

But yes for the mild off road work that these Thars were bought for, they do the job rather well chugging with aplomb over unpaved ground tracks and fields with 8 people in the Thar and 150 kg of cargo weight.

Last edited by desertfox : 27th April 2019 at 15:36.
Old 27th April 2019, 21:10   #176
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
.......Mahindra is in a bit of a dilemma. If it widens and lengthens the Thar too much, they are in effect reinventing the Bolero. Or, the Marshall. Actually, a Thar-like Bolero might not be a bad idea.
Hello DirtyDan, long time no see. My fault really, since my visits to this favorite port of call (T-BHP) have had to be curtailed due to other contingencies. But I believe your above observation will find favour with other members too. A Bolero-like-Thar / Thar-like-Bolero would fit the bill of a lot of folks including yours truly.
shashanka is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th May 2019, 16:40   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooming Flower View Post
Meanwhile, amidst all the speculations about upcoming Thar, reports are coming of a confirmed special edition of Thar with ABS and few extra goodies before Mahindra discontinues it with the current avatar.

Link

This report also confirms the 140bhp 2.0L BS-VI engine for new gen Thar.
If the latest report from Autocar India is indeed true, then it looks like we are getting a signature edition of the Mahindra Thar to commemorate the end of the production of the current generation.

Only 700 units of the jeep will be made. It will be produced in Napoli Black and Aqua Marine colors. The report also states that the jeep will get five-spoke 15-inch alloy wheels, black decals on the bonnet lid and silver finish on the front bumpers. It will also come with a special ‘Signature Edition’ badge on its fenders bearing the signature of Anand Mahindra, Chairman, Mahindra Group.

The report also mentions that the interiors will get front facing rear seats and leatherette upholstery.

Link to the report here.
TejasKinger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2019, 15:33   #178
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra has discontinued the Thar Di. Currently only CRDe is being sold with ABS.
fx45 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2019, 16:26   #179
BHPian

What about the price? Is it same like before with ABS now?
Old 16th May 2019, 18:17   #180

Quote:
Agreed - the Thar CRDe is certainly a respectable cruiser. And I hope the new Gurkha (with the 2.2 L CR engine) should prove to be one too - and give the Thar some much needed stick. Now, if only Force they added that extra pair of doors....
I personally think these vehicles should be offered as 3 doors only. Mahindra or Force should not try to turn them into mainstream products. Their charm is that they are not mainstream. Customers have enough mainstream and "Practical" ladder-on-frame options already in the form of Bolero, TUV and Scorpio. Lets leave these vehicles as they are. We already love them.
SpeedyS is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks