Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2020, 08:12   #2206
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Mahindra Thar 5-door to go into production

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
My limited point is that Maruti has stopped the production of Gypsy king due to the upgraded BSVI and other vehicle safety norms .There's no other 4x4 SUV with NA petrol engine confirming to the revised norms .Hence , if army is looking out for a petrol engined troop carrier for higher altitude duty or towards the replacement of Gypsy king ,the only option they would have is Mahindra Thar petrol ,though it's petrol engine is complicated enough to be ignored for heavy duty.The GSQ requirements and tests are quite stringent .
Maruti has actually restarted the production of BSIV Gypsys specially for armed forces. Quoting the post,

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Maruti Suzuki To Restart Gypsy Production Only For Defence Orders Soon.
IIRC The army was contemplating the Gurkha as a direct replacement of the Gypsy as the Storme wasn't as capable and too heavy for on-field duty in tough and remote terrains
Old 24th September 2020, 08:19   #2207
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghatotkatch View Post
Given the soft-top variant where the "windows" can just be unzipped from outside, the fuel-lid lock may have been done on purpose. A regular fuel lid lever could allow for easy pilferage if parked in a shady area. A proper lock would not allow it. Same could be the reason for dashboard cubby lock as well.
Well then they should do it for the Hardtop versions atleast because that is the version that is going to sell in numbers and almost 100% of the family buyers will buy that. The ladies of the house will only allow the Thar to land if they can drive it and it has to be in the HT for that. And if today I tell my wife that the thar will need one to get out or hand over the key to someone else to fill in the fuel, it will be off the table in a millisecond!!!

And I just read above someone just ranted about thar being about grit and blah and blah. Full respect for that grit and blah and blah. But end of the day that guy driving the Thar with grit came from parents, has a family and kids and they too want his time.
So if a 5 door let's him get the macho feel of the Thar and let's him take his parents and kids to a mall for enjoyment, why not!
The real film starts after the marriage remember. This is what happily every after means.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 24th September 2020 at 08:22.
navpreet318 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 09:24   #2208
BHPian

^^^
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-screenshot_20200908105811.png
Try asking parents/wife in her wedding function outing, to get into the Thar, (the above picture says it all, like climbing 2stairs at a time)she'll drive the nuts out, and ask you to take the Activa instead for the function.
Vinod_nair is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 09:38   #2209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Well then they should do it for the Hardtop versions atleast because that is the version that is going to sell in numbers and almost 100% of the family buyers will buy that. The ladies of the house will only allow the Thar to land if they can drive it and it has to be in the HT for that. And if today I tell my wife that the thar will need one to get out or hand over the key to someone else to fill in the fuel, it will be off the table in a millisecond!!!

And I just read above someone just ranted about thar being about grit and blah and blah. Full respect for that grit and blah and blah. But end of the day that guy driving the Thar with grit came from parents, has a family and kids and they too want his time.
So if a 5 door let's him get the macho feel of the Thar and let's him take his parents and kids to a mall for enjoyment, why not!
The real film starts after the marriage remember. This is what happily every after means.
Completely agreed.

However, my point is not to keep the family out of the Thar fun - of course the idea is to being inclusive and hence the excitement around M&M creating a version from scratch targeting the urban masses and families.

The point I am trying to make here is about the brand's promise, its perception within its target customers. Every brand wants itself to be perceived in a particular way and that's what it promotes through the careful use of personas. You will never see a Skoda Superb AV starring a college going teenager dressed in a pair of distressed jeans - its always that suited business exec stepping out of the rear as he buttons his jacket.

So yes, the Thar as brand is most definitely perceived as gritty and blunt and all those things I said in my previous post - but that has nothing to do with who ends up buying it or using it and for what purpose. In rural MH, Audi Qs are used to carry agricultural produce. But is that what we associate the brand Audi with, definitely not.

Products will always evolve over time to keep pace with the market dynamics, but there are certain subtle elements which enables the product to hold on to its DNA and prove is lineage time and time again - for me a three door design is something quintessential to the Thar and anything beyond it will dilute the way I see the brand.
Slipstream11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 09:38   #2210
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Mahindra Thar 5-door to go into production

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
For some reason, there are vehicles that stand out better off as 3 doors rather than 5

To me, Thar looks smashing is the 3 door version, 5 door loses it appeal.
I absolutely agree...also wouldn't the 5 door Thar be approximately like the Armada? The Armada has never wowed enthusiasts as the Thar does.

The shape of the Jeep seems to suit the shorter wheelbase much more. The appeal is in how it looks proportionate to the eyes...as if the jigsaw puzzle has fitted perfectly up to the last piece.
Taruns_Hah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 09:49   #2211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
^^^
Attachment 2058611
Try asking parents/wife in her wedding function outing, to get into the Thar, (the above picture says it all, like climbing 2stairs at a time)she'll drive the nuts out, and ask you to take the Activa instead for the function.

Try asking the same question in Punjab. The wife will happily snatch the keys and the parents will happily jump into the rear seats with the kids in their laps.

Different people. Different likes and dislikes. I'm sure you'll be able to replicate the same at various locations in India!

Oh and I guess people here haven't had too much experience with SUVs. My daily drive is a Storme which is the same two steps up. And this is my 4th Safari in a row. We have a habit of using SUVs. As do a lot of people who own Scorpios, Boleros, Thars etc.

Mod Note: Our Thar Report has been taken live at this link (Mahindra Thar : Official Review). Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Last edited by GTO : 15th October 2020 at 14:15. Reason: Link to review
navpreet318 is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks