Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2020, 19:25   #2101
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Delivery to start from second week of October onwards??

Hope they wont be the washed and waxed media drive ones, need to watch out for that flying Thar too, if it ends up in a showroom and an unfortunate buyer picks it up.
There is no need to panic. Full production of the Thar is already underway at the plant. So second week of October deliveries is realistic.
Dippy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 19:43   #2102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venku2015 View Post
...the new Thar is really built tough and can withstand some serious abuse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
How many similar jumps do you think a car can take before the suspension gives up?
No one mentioned how good the rollover mitigation / Active Rollover Protection electronics are, in this vehicle?
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 19:55   #2103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
.....need to watch out for that flying Thar too, if it ends up in a showroom and......
Totally hilarious post made my day.
Man, that flying Thar created quite an alarming impact on our mind about the aftermath condition of the unfortunate vehicle, such an unnecessary stunt that proves nothing about its offroad prowess.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 18th September 2020 at 19:57.
Old 18th September 2020, 20:34   #2104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Couldn't help but notice that the price of the diesel seems to be higher in all Trims other than the top LX auto trim, compared to the petrol counterparts.
Could that be true?
It’s a strange one for sure. I feel it could be that Mahindra expect the top LX auto trim to appeal to or bought by people who will not stray far from the concrete jungle and will pay for it. It may be the surprise package of the lot.

Cheers
Old 18th September 2020, 20:56   #2105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
I got these price details on a Whatsapp group for the Thar. Look quite good if these are correct! The Thar price announcement was to be today, maybe it happened and was not publicised.
Attachment 2056657
Looks totally bogus. In the AX Manual Soft Top range, the Diesel is 75K more than the equivalent petrol, when it comes to LX Hard top, Diesel is 25K less than the equivalent Petrol

Also, price announcement is on October 2 - Not today. This has always been clear from Mahindra.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 18th September 2020 at 21:09.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 20:58   #2106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
No one mentioned how good the rollover mitigation / Active Rollover Protection electronics are, in this vehicle?
That is provided by whatever idol is fixed on the dashboard.
We now need to research the opposite (ying/ yang) for our skijump aircraft carriers.

Sutripta

PS - I think the driver, used to our more aenemic previous generation Jeeps, was just gunning the engine to make it up the slope without losing momentum. Possibly because of the far more powerful engine, and the nature of the slope, the vehicle just took off. And luckily it did not end badly.
If it had been planned, the takeoff would not be demurely half obscured by a shrub.
And if the vehicle permitted, repeated.

Last edited by Sutripta : 18th September 2020 at 21:07.
Sutripta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 21:18   #2107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Jay has explained it well.

The regulations usually hit the Metros and Tier I cities first. We are already seeing how people in Delhi are affected by the 10 year rule on Diesel engine cars.

I am planning to get the car registered in Mysore,
I did a similar kind of thing (turned out 'mistake' for me). Hometown is Lucknow (UP 32) and I was studying in Ghaziabad (UP 14). Bought a bike in Ghaziabad and relocated it to Lucknow post college. When time came to sell the bike, no one was ready for a UP 14 bike in UP 32 & amongst the few who would consider buying, they would quote me 30% less than the market price.

The bike was only 2 years old at the time of me selling it, had warranty and showroom level new in condition. Bike was RTR180

In the end, I got frustated, took the bike to Ghaziabad and sold it there at market price.

My cousin had a similar experience while selling his car too.
Old 18th September 2020, 21:33   #2108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1 View Post
In the end, I got frustated, took the bike to Ghaziabad and sold it there at market price.

My cousin had a similar experience while selling his car too.
That should not be a concern as I am planning to hold on to Thar for a very long time. Most probably this will also be my last fossil fueled car that I will buy.

. In Karnataka, Mysore registered cars do command a small premium over cars registered in Bangalore. So not a major concern.
Old 18th September 2020, 23:29   #2109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
That should not be a concern as I am planning to hold on to Thar for a very long time. Most probably this will also be my last fossil fueled car that I will buy.

. In Karnataka, Mysore registered cars do command a small premium over cars registered in Bangalore. So not a major concern.
I second your decision to keep Thar for long. Its an excellent vehicle to keep for longer duration. Upcoming one seems to appeal both head and the heart.

I am curious to know why cars registered in Mysore command higher prices than their Bangalore counterparts.
Old 19th September 2020, 11:12   #2110
BHPian

Reading through the posts, a new conundrum has been introduced. Till now diesel vs petrol decision was more on FE, cost and is mStallion reliable. But with this whole DPF thing and diesel ban discussions, do we seriously need to consider all this while buying Thar.

Earlier, the logic was simple:
mStallion petrol - refined, high power but low FE and new block, not proven

mHawk diesel - proven, better FE, but additional complexity of DPF etc. Now with diesel rules that surely will get stringent in the next years. If you keep the Thar for 7 to 8 years, it might be left with very small usable age and not everyone has the flexibility to register in non metro cities.

But the final question is, is it of any use to think so much when you are buying a vehicle with your heart, specially for a non jeeper. What do the jeepers say on this? Can it be a binary decision and live happily ever after?
Old 19th September 2020, 11:17   #2111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
I got these price details on a Whatsapp group for the Thar. Look quite good if these are correct! The Thar price announcement was to be today, maybe it happened and was not publicised.
Attachment 2056657
Right pricing of Thar is critical for its success (find more garage than heart). I believe Mahinda should target <10 lahks price for top end. This will translate to about 12 lakhs on road price. If TUV300 top end (diesel, AMT) can be offered below 10 lakhs ex-showroom, why not Thar (this may not be apple to apple comparison)?

The new Thar has been improved a lot in terms of a primary vehicle however, it all depends on the right pricing to attract buyers who will buy this as primary or family vehicle, otherwise it will again remain 'object of desire' for most of us.
gaddiwale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 12:27   #2112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddiwale View Post
I believe Mahinda should target <10 lahks price for top end. This will translate to about 12 lakhs on road price.
I don’t see that happening. If it does though, many, including myself, will purchase two; a convertible AX and a hardtop LX.
fjcruiser08 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 12:33   #2113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Totally hilarious post made my day.
Man, that flying Thar created quite an alarming impact on our mind about the aftermath condition of the unfortunate vehicle, such an unnecessary stunt that proves nothing about its offroad prowess.

Just like a viral video from a singer makes a music director cast them for a song, and same way a famous choreographer for a dancer, this flying Thar video is sure to attract the eyeballs of Mr. Rohit Shetty to cast the Thar as the new protagonist in his next movie compared to Scorpio, and yes with a bunch of supporting actors in form of humans.
Old 19th September 2020, 12:39   #2114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
The 2WD to 4WD is shift on the fly, so definitely the front hubs have to be auto locking in order to engage 4H while driving.
Otherwise you would need to stop, engage 4WD and manually lock the hubs and proceed which is clearly not the case with the 2020 Thar.
Therefore the AX and previous gen Thar must have the same hardware, BLD being an extra feature for the LX.

Anyway, the function of the hubs is to enable the front wheels to disengage from the differential and front drive shaft when the vehicle is in 2WD mode and thereby to increase fuel efficiency and avoid unnecessary strain on the engine and differentials. It does nothing to enhance the offroad capability of the vehicle. The hubs might as well be permanently locked, its just there to unlock and freewheel to reduce strain and increase efficiency in 2WD mode.
You once again miss the point. I am asking whether the hub locks exist at all and you're trying to explain the difference between auto- and manual hub locks and the general function of hub-locks.

So, do you absolutely know for sure that hub locks (auto or manual) are actually present in the AX, or are you just guessing?

Incidentally, locking hubs (auto or manual) were never provided on the Thar until the 2015 refresh. Earlier models, Thar and before, had no locking hubs at all. It was only the hard-core offroaders who installed aftermarket manual hubs locks from Lambda etc.

Cheers

Last edited by tilt : 19th September 2020 at 12:42.
Old 19th September 2020, 13:06   #2115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddiwale View Post
Right pricing of Thar is critical for its success (find more garage than heart). I believe Mahinda should target <10 lahks price for top end. This will translate to about 12 lakhs on road price. If TUV300 top end (diesel, AMT) can be offered below 10 lakhs ex-showroom, why not Thar (this may not be apple to apple comparison)?

The new Thar has been improved a lot in terms of a primary vehicle however, it all depends on the right pricing to attract buyers who will buy this as primary or family vehicle, otherwise it will again remain 'object of desire' for most of us.
It is partly a Halo vehicle, get people into showrooms and then your better half will settle on the going to be released XUV etc.

TUV3OO T10 was ~12L on road in Bangalore IIRC, we have a bigger engine and lots more hardware in here although the chassis and suspension could be shared with TUV to some extent.

My guess was new Thar would retail at 15~20L on road Bangalore for the top spec. The bare bones old one was ~12L on road. You are right a 2 door vehicle will remain an object of desire for many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
If you keep the Thar for 7 to 8 years, it might be left with very small usable age and not everyone has the flexibility to register in non metro cities.

But the final question is, is it of any use to think so much when you are buying a vehicle with your heart, specially for a non jeeper. What do the jeepers say on this? Can it be a binary decision and live happily ever after?
Utility vehicles and Jeeps especially have a usable life that exceeds that of its owner so someone else will get to enjoy it afterwards in a non metro city.

The important matter to consider is are you a traveler or an explorer or an off-roader or a photographer or you have a farm or construction sites etc wherein at least some of its capabilities can be put to use, else you would just keep finding faults with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post

Incidentally, locking hubs (auto or manual) were never provided on the Thar until the 2015 refresh. Earlier models, Thar and before, had no locking hubs at all. It was only the hard-core offroaders who installed aftermarket manual hubs locks from Lambda etc.

Cheers
Thar CRDe launched with Auto Locking hubs , in 2013 for a few months they released CRDe with fixed flange . From 2014 it is back to auto locking hubs.

Last edited by Kosfactor : 19th September 2020 at 13:27.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks