Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2020, 11:31   #2176
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
There should be some typing mistake. I got my 2014 CRDe model for 8.6 lakhs OTR in Ahmedabad in 2014.
And my 2015 Thar bought in November after the Facelift in July was 9.55 on road Pune. The new Thar should be about 20 % pricier but anything more than that could dampen volumes big time.

Mahindra wants to sell about 4,000 units of the Thar each month (which is more than their XUV300/Scorpio sales). For this to happen, they really need a compelling price because the 2 door Thar is inherently impractical for most buyers.

PS: If they want 4,000 units (including exports and the 5 door version), they may just pull it off. Again, has to be priced right. If they overprice the 2 door model, where will the 4 door sit? To give both cars enough room in terms of price-positioning, I think they'll have to price the two door sharply.
Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 11:38   #2177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
Looks like lot of folks want to buy the Thar but expect Mahindra to be charitable. Why put in calculations like engine+turbo+autobox is one lakh more, touchscreen+speakers is 20k more etc? Please understand every manufacturer would have made several studies as to where their product can fit and at what price point will it sell. If the old scorpio still sells @20 lakh on road, there is no practical way will the much more desirable Thar be priced at 13 lakh on road. Also the price has moved north, Kia is selling a pint sized front wheel hatch (sonet) at 16/17 lakh and people are lapping it up. Tata manages a decent increasing number of Harrier sales @25 lakh on road, so why not a 20 lakh Thar?
1) M&M does enough charity without “us folks” wanting or asking for it.
2) Scorpio goes for around 19L on road in NCR and it’s a vehicle which really offers alot of value to those who can’t afford more for a 5/6 seater big vehicle.
3) enthusiasts keep in mind, we here on this forum are enthusiasts or in the making thus the over the top excitement. But that does not mean the vehicle will do phenomenal numbers.
5) it still is practically a two seater with no boot at all thus I don’t expect it to go beyond 15 Lakhs on road.
This vehicle is no match the comfort and practicality of the cars you’re mentioning. You’re that the mfg would have done their numbers while pricing it however, they also need steady numbers to keep the belt rolling.
God forbid your 20 L prediction comes true, safe to say 80% of us here will trash the plans. Rather wait for the 5 door in the case and get a useable car and not just a weekend hobby.
Karan_n8 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 11:40   #2178
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Mahindra Thar 5-door to go into production

According to a media report, Mahindra plans to introduce a 5-door version of the new Thar. The project has reportedly been given the go-ahead.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-dsc00886.jpg

Based on the second-generation Thar that was unveiled on August 15, 2020, the 5-door version is likely to have a longer wheelbase. It will have a new body and the convenience of an additional set of doors should widen the appeal of the off-roader.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-dsc00919.jpg

Like its predecessor, the new Thar is also based on a ladder-frame chassis. It is available with two engine options, which include a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder mStallion petrol that produces 150 BHP and 320 Nm and a 2.2-litre mHawk diesel that makes 130 BHP and 320 Nm. Both engines are available with either a 6-speed manual or 6-speed automatic transmission. Four-wheel drive with a manual shift transfer case is standard across all variants.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-dsc00891.jpg

The new Thar comes in two trim levels AX (Adventure Series) and LX (Lifestyle Series). The AX series comes with a fixed soft top, side facing seats, steel wheels, mechanical lockable differentials and a manual transmission. The LX Series gets a soft top or hard top and automatic transmission option for the diesel, while the petrol engine comes with an automatic transmission only.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-dsc00959.jpg

The 3-door version of the Thar is scheduled for launch on October 2, 2020.

Source
TusharK is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 11:50   #2179
BHPian

re: Rumour: Mahindra Thar 5-door to go into production

Finally! The 5 door will well and truly complete the Thar. I guess some people were excited for the Thar but the lack of practicality was a drawback enough to strike it off.

What a brilliant tourer the 5 door will be I wonder
sodapop is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 12:10   #2180
BHPian

The price guesses are heating up little bit now.

The excitements all over internet is one thing, but when it comes to writing the cheque, most people will back off. It is similar to the enthusiasm in the hot-hatch threads vs their actual sales.

Thar will be bought by many people initially, but it wont keep selling like other cars if Mahindra try to go for the number game. If I were to decide the price, I will keep the profit margin high and price it just above the normal pricing expected by most people. Like the RE bikes, people will be ready to spend a little extra to own something unique and different and it will keep the desirability and enthusiasm alive for long run.
Old 23rd September 2020, 12:16   #2181
Senior - BHPian

Over the years I've noticed a lot of randomness in the craze for a vehicle or features here and the end result in terms of actual sales of the vehicle.
Many examples. Let's take thar for example. When it was launched people said that the MM is for the true blue offroaders. This is a mall crawler. The front IFS will be the weak point. This is nothing compared to a solid axle jeep for the macho offroaders.
The along came the Gurkha Xtreme with solid axles. Coil springs and an actual lift kit. And a hard top!! How many bought? Ha!! All for a couple of extra lakhs than the thar. Still nothing.

Now the new thar is launched and now for all those macho offroaders this has become the so called mall crawler and the older thar is now the macho offroader. Wow!!

So I really haven't been able to correlate the teambhp members opinion to real time sales.

Coming to pricing. I dont care what onroad it comes to, ex showroom top end should not be more than 12.5L. That is a justified amount. It will then be a superhit.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 23rd September 2020 at 12:45.
navpreet318 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 12:24   #2182
BHPian

But won't this damage the upcoming Scorpio??

I mean, since the Thar is expected to be launched near 10-15 lakh range for the 3 door itself, the 5 door will be 12-18 lakh price range due to the higher tax rates on cars more than sub 4m cars!(assuming the 5 door will be longer than 4m as the 3 door is at 3,985mm)

And if this happens, won't the top end variants of the Thar end up cannibalizing the lower variants of the Scorpio??
theAutomaniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 12:45   #2183
HTC
BANNED

Sorry to be off topic - wish Mahindra sold bolero with 4x4. Many would have bought it for the practicality it offers for the price. Sigh!
Old 23rd September 2020, 13:03   #2184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAutomaniac View Post
But won't this damage the upcoming Scorpio??
As GTO says, if you don't cannibalize yourselves, others will gladly do it for you

However, the accusations of being too similar to the Wrangler will get louder now especially since a 5 door Thar can't look too dissimilar to a 5 door Wrangler!
dragracer567 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 13:20   #2185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
There should be some typing mistake. I got my 2014 CRDe model for 8.6 lakhs OTR in Ahmedabad in 2014.
Good to know, even that is near 15 in today's money. Better car in every way today and it's intended to be a lifestyle choice, mahindra won't be making it affordable.
Old 23rd September 2020, 13:33   #2186
KPR
BANNED

Hope MS will closely follow both 3 & 5 door Thar's response from Indian customers for their Jimny.
Old 23rd September 2020, 13:34   #2187
BHPian

I dont see a reason why base AX, which is almost equivalent to 2015-2019 Thar, should cost much more than outgoing Thar. Maybe 5-10% more for BS6 upgrade and some better carpet etc. Here is my take on pricing (ex-showroom). I am assuming same price for petrol and diesel engines. If Mahindra prices more than this, then I would think they don't care about volumes and want large profit per car.

AX MT Softtop - 10.5L

AX (O) MT Convertible - 11.5L

AX (O) MT Hardtop - 12L

LX MT Convertible - 13L

LX MT Hardtop - 13.5L

LX AT Convertible - 14L

LX AT Hardtop - 14.5L
Comrade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 14:40   #2188
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Mahindra Thar 5-door to go into production

Not sure if the timing of this announcement is a good thing. With the 3-door launch just about a week away, it's likely to put people in two minds.
Going by the sizeable numbers who were apprehensive about the cramped rear seats and inconvenient access on the 3-door, they might just decide to wait and watch, as a 5-door version will conform to their crucial one-car-fits-all-roles requirement.
And that surely won't be great news for Mahindra who must be hoping all that initial excitement translates to actual bookings on the ground, especially in these tough times.
TAHR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 16:08   #2189
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar 5-door rendered

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-smartselect_20200923160652_chrome.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-smartselect_20200923160703_chrome.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-smartselect_20200923160726_chrome.jpg

https://gaadiwaadi.com/five-door-mah...ikely-in-2021/
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 16:39   #2190
BANNED

For some reason, there are vehicles that stand out better off as 3 doors rather than 5, you get that sense of individualism and meant for me and only mine, don't bother to carry anyone along, Thar to me belongs to one such category, obviously when you wanna seat more, take the hard top off and ask folks to jump in.

Some other such vehicles are, Mitsubishi Shogun, LC SWB (3 door), in fact on my Classic 500, right from the showroom, I got the rear seat uninstalled, that long pipe and solo riding was unadulterated fun.

To me, Thar looks smashing is the 3 door version, 5 door loses it appeal.
Torquedo is offline   (13) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks